Evolution Studios closed by Sony

• Thread starter TonyJZX
  • 316 comments
Am I correct in assuming that Sony own Driveclub and all of its content? Or have they licensed the use of the code/game engine etc from Evolution studios...
I'm afraid the game engine is also Sony's - Rushy did mention that they have a very talented bunch of coders so he isn't worried about that.

Rushy's team can work on the EGO 4 engine and get their weather and lightening system running in there. I asume that both teams work on different projects but with the same engine. Overhead will be redirected to the team that is in need of extra workers and expertise within development will be shared. I think both can profit a lot from this.

SUPER TOCA GRIDCLUB! :drool:

Imagine this: Game with a 50/50 mix of road cars and race cars, able to race modify things Forza style, GRID (1) livery editor, Teams (like "clubs", just in the form of a motorsport team), custom championships and Forza/Gran Turismo elements. Maybe call it "Redline".

Last edited:

Imagine this: Game with a 50/50 mix of road cars and race cars, able to race modify things Forza style, GRID (1) livery editor, Teams (like "clubs", just in the form of a motorsport team), custom championships and Forza/Gran Turismo elements. Maybe call it "Redline".

I would be happy with a reboot of the Toca series in all seriousness. Out of all the Codemasters games throughout time, Toca, Colin Mcrae Rally, and Micro Machines where my all time favorites. When they started to add in all the 'story' driven elements, that is when their games started to go down hill. They dont have that in Dirt Rally, and look how good that turned out. It is a pure racing game, and is not trying to be a TV show at the same time.

60766714.jpg

If I were "Evolution Studios Mk II" (let's call them that for now), I would create a game with the graphic fidelity of Driveclub, improved even further. I would continue with the focus on real cars, real locations, roads based on reality and physics tending towards simulation. I would make it open-world, a competitor to Forza Horizon 3, perhaps, and I would call it "IGNITION", a fitting game title for a company coming back in force and starting a new IP and chapter.

PCars has something close to that.

I'd rather flush money down the toilet than give any to companies that are as incompetent and greedy as Slightly Mad Studios is. Empty promises, purposely withholding content to release as pre-order incentive and day one DLC, and asking for money for a sequel that was already funded. They broke every consumer rule there is.

And they don't have anywhere near the full selection of Le Mans or GT3 cars from any given season. They have some, no debate there. But nothing like a full season, which is what I'd love to have in a game.

Last edited:
If I were "Evolution Studios Mk II" (let's call them that for now), I would create a game with the graphic fidelity of Driveclub, improved even further. I would continue with the focus on real cars, real locations, roads based on reality and physics tending towards simulation. I would make it open-world, a competitor to Forza Horizon 3, perhaps, and I would call it "IGNITION", a fitting game title for a company coming back in force and starting a new IP and chapter.
So, other than the open world part, essentially the same thing as Driveclub already offers? I think that the IP copyright would make that a difficult prospect. I'm sure they have plenty of ideas and haven't disappointed people yet.

I'd rather flush money down the toilet than give any to $lightly Mad $tudious. And they don't have anywhere near the full selection of Le Mans or GT3 cars from any given season.
Funny that you say that because they have the Bentley, the new Mercedes, the V12 Aston, the Caddilac, the C7R, the R18 E-Tron, the TS040, and the Oreca LMP2 just to name a few.

So, other than the open world part, essentially the same thing as Driveclub already offers? I think that the IP copyright would make that a difficult prospect. I'm sure they have plenty of ideas and haven't disappointed people yet.

Many racing games are similar at their core. For instance, why aren't Turn 10 complaining about Assetto Corsa or Project CARS? They're all aiming to be racing simulators, with a variety of accurate tracks and cars, which range from road cars to open-wheel racers. Same thing goes for Dirt Rally and Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo, the two games share game most game modes and disciplines, they just run different graphics engines and physics engines. It's just something called competition. Nothing's stopping this new studio from creating a rival to Driveclub with an even better, scratch-built (therefore propriety of them, not Sony), game engine. Otherwise, how could Forza still be a thing? It's, at the core, the driving simulator of the Xbox.

Many racing games are similar at their core. For instance, why aren't Turn 10 complaining about Assetto Corsa or Project CARS? They're all aiming to be racing simulators, with a variety of accurate tracks and cars, which range from road cars to open-wheel racers. Same thing goes for Dirt Rally and Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo, the two games share game most game modes and disciplines, they just run different graphics engines and physics engines. It's just something called competition. Nothing's stopping this new studio from creating a rival to Driveclub with an even better, scratch-built (therefore propriety of them, not Sony), game engine. Otherwise, how could Forza still be a thing? It's, at the core, the driving simulator of the Xbox.

Forza, Assetto Corsa and Project CARS are all aimed at totally different segments of the market though. Forza competes with Gran Turismo, as an accessible fairly sim-ish game with a focus on a large variety of cars and tracks. Assetto Corsa competes with the likes of iRacing, rFactor 2 and R3E as a hardcore simulator with a focus on racing and the physics engine, everything else being secondary. Project CARS is a weird middle ground between the two sub-genres.

True, it is a less strenuous or rigidly enforceable situation with regard to copyright - plus as @Huks points out: the games are more paired off than simply being one niche against all other others.

I suspect that the open-world thing is something that people are going to continue to ask for, even though it could mean the graphics would get reduced as a result. I mean, as a comparison, look at what The Crew (post update) and Driveclub offer visually - there is quite a difference. Then compare how FH2 and DC look as a result of it's smaller map size. This is speculation here, but I think to bring open-world to a DC style game at that level, would currently mean a map that wouldn't really be worth it.

Back