Explanation for missing mechanical damage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tomcat66
  • 37 comments
  • 5,357 views
Messages
260
Austria
Vienna, Austria
Messages
mr tomcat 66
Do anybody know a reason, why the mechanical damage is deactivated in career mode in GT 6 (and GT 5)? I never understood why Polyphony is not giving us the chance to turn that feature on in career mode. Now (= GT 6) it is even gone from the arcade mode. It is only possible to activate it in online racing.

For a company which is proud of its real racing experience this is a strange decision. Did Polyphony ever told somewhere why they dont want that feature in the game?

For me it makes a lot of difference when I have to avoid crashing my car. At the end I only played GT 5 in arcade mode because I was able to activate the mechanical damage that way.
 
Yeah I miss it in arcade mode and I feel that they should at least give you the option in the career. It wasn't added in GT5 till later so maybe they're just having to redo it for the new engine?
 
I don't know if it has anything to do with it,but I read somewhere that Yamauchi himself had a really serious carcrash once. It may left a trauma of sorts.
 
Do anybody know a reason, why the mechanical damage is deactivated in career mode in GT6?

Probably because the AI are such crash bots! Can you imagine getting permanent damage everytime they tag you, can't think of anything worse. That said, it should be an option for those who want it, no harm in that. In fact, all options should be available in all modes. There's such a lack of consistency & thus cohesion in this game in many areas.
 
Maybe it's the fault of fanboys. Every time people bring up faults with GT, there's always fanboy excuses for why those aren't faults or even that they're really good things. Damage is no exception, as I can't even guess at how many times I've seen fanboys defend the lack of damage or arguing against the idea of having damage. Sooner or later, someone would surely have shown up in this topic with a rant against depicting damage.
 
I once read rumors saying PD likes the beauty of clean racing and undamaged cars which I absolutely can understand. On the other hand maybe damage would just take too much power away from other things on PS3. Maybe it's the way AI acts that damage wouldn't be a good idea.
 
I once read rumors saying PD likes the beauty of clean racing and undamaged cars which I absolutely can understand. On the other hand maybe damage would just take too much power away from other things on PS3. Maybe it's the way AI acts that damage wouldn't be a good idea.

That makes only sense for optical damage. And when you want somebody to do some clean racing, then turning the mechanical damage ON is a must! The way the game is designed now it gives great advantages to those who DONT drive clean. You can bump inter other cars (AI) to slow yourself down and you can use the walls on the side of a track to make a curve even when you are too fast. That is absolutely not realistic and has nothing to do with clean racing.

I believe that PD is giving young GT-drivers a very bad impression about real world driving and racing. And the point is that this feature is already implemented in the game! Why cant we just turn it on in career and arcade mode?
 
Probably something to do with making offline races fair for the AI. If you could strategically push each car off the track as you went past them, they would never be able to catch up.

[/my theory]
 
That makes only sense for optical damage. And when you want somebody to do some clean racing, then turning the mechanical damage ON is a must! The way the game is designed now it gives great advantages to those who DONT drive clean. You can bump inter other cars (AI) to slow yourself down and you can use the walls on the side of a track to make a curve even when you are too fast. That is absolutely not realistic and has nothing to do with clean racing.

I believe that PD is giving young GT-drivers a very bad impression about real world driving and racing. And the point is that this feature is already implemented in the game! Why cant we just turn it on in career and arcade mode?
Absolutely agree! +1 to this!

I´m missing those features. In every free-run or arcade race on GT5 I had always had all the damage and fuel consumption etc. on.
 
I believe that PD is giving young GT-drivers a very bad impression about real world driving and racing. And the point is that this feature is already implemented in the game! Why cant we just turn it on in career and arcade mode?

It can't be that bad, the (young) Academy drivers have done very well because of GT. Also, playing the game in normal, everyday gaming shouldn't be used as an example or comparison to real world racing or driving.

If anyone is playing the game and they are under the impression that it's anything like the real world, they're mental. It may be to a point but after that point, there's nothing real.
 
I really wish could could opt into alot of the cool features buried in GT. I want damage and perma-damage so you have to pay for repairs. I want tire and fuel consumption to be on always too you should have to pay for fuel and tires for every race. buying race tires shouldn't be a one time fee.
You get so much money in GT I wish there were more to have to spend it on.
 
I don't know if it has anything to do with it,but I read somewhere that Yamauchi himself had a really serious carcrash once. It may left a trauma of sorts.

Sarcasm is incredibly hard to spot on the internet.

There was an interview with Kaz in which he talked about that crash (R32?), it was on the news page here a few weeks ago. Scroll through, it's worth a read.

Damage was only enabled in Endurance races in GT5, wasn't it? As they haven't put any into GT6 (some enduro races are shorter than most club sprints) they presumably didn't see the need for the mechanical damage there.
 
Probably because the AI are such crash bots! Can you imagine getting permanent damage everytime they tag you, can't think of anything worse.
This is not true, completed ~3/4 of the career races and had only very few problems with them crashing me.
And 90% of those crashes would have caused no damage because they where only a bit of wheelbangin.

Of course you have to respect them, you cant dive bomb them in corners and them expect them to run of track to give you room. Also if they are behind you on a long straight and in the crazy slipstream it is not a good idea to brake on the race line, take the inside line and you will have no problem.

(If you stay in front of them and they run in your back under braking this is 90% the fault of this stupid exaggerated slipstream effect, makes judging the brake point impossible and i run in the back of them more often then they did it on me)
Monza and LeMans are the worst, with the stupid slipstream you arrive 60kph faster than on your own and end up braking way to late or to early.


The way the game is designed now it gives great advantages to those who DONT drive clean. You can bump inter other cars (AI) to slow yourself down and you can use the walls on the side of a track to make a curve even when you are too fast. That is absolutely not realistic and has nothing to do with clean racing
The whole way how races are set up (start last, overtake 14 cars in 3 laps) and that there is no damage and no penalty system really encourages unfair driving, always hated this in GT.

Makes the unrealistic races in career even more stupid.

First thing i would do is add damage to career races (optional) and give a 50% bonus on prize money for a race without touching an opponent, and another 20% if you never left the track with more than 2 wheels.

This would change the way people drive a lot.
 
The reason is exactly the same as why B-Spec, course maker, Redbull event etc etc aren't there and standard cars, tracks and crap sounds are still there - either laziness, very poor time management, the most difficult game engine ever created or a bit of each.
 
Damage in career Will only work or be good in the super events becouse that is the only place with tyre wear. I mean, really?Chase the rabbit on a 5 lap race with damage, who wants that? Even the races in the super events seems kinda short!
 
The reason is exactly the same as why B-Spec, course maker, Redbull event etc etc aren't there and standard cars, tracks and crap sounds are still there - either laziness, very poor time management, the most difficult game engine ever created or a bit of each.

Don't think so, the function IS IN THE GAME, you can have damage online.
You could have damage in training in GT5 but never in career.

It is a decision from DP that there is no damage in career.
Same with the SRF forced on in all license tests/missions.

They want it to be as it is and also don't want leave the decision to us by making it optional.

Edit:
And i really start to hate them for that sort of c... .
 
Damage in career Will only work or be good in the super events becouse that is the only place with tyre wear. I mean, really?Chase the rabbit on a 5 lap race with damage, who wants that? Even the races in the super events seems kinda short!
May be true but i would still use it.

It is not like the cars brakes in two pieces every time you do some wheelbangin in a corner.
It has to be quite an impact to damage suspension.
(Online or training in GT5)

I fear the Endurance races (if they come) will again be 100% pointless because there is no damage.

What is the point of a endurance race if you cant damage your car ?!?
This is the one thing it is all about, you are not allowed to make a mistake or the race is over.
 
The reason is exactly the same as why B-Spec, course maker, Redbull event etc etc aren't there and standard cars, tracks and crap sounds are still there - either laziness, very poor time management, the most difficult game engine ever created or a bit of each.
Redbull X challenge is in career mode, next to IB career event.
 
The reason is exactly the same as why B-Spec, course maker, Redbull event etc etc aren't there and standard cars, tracks and crap sounds are still there - either laziness, very poor time management, the most difficult game engine ever created or a bit of each.
Because this is the first GT to arrive on time.
It's actually very good time management. I and many others rather have a game that releases on schedule and gets more features with patches than a game that gets delayed for multiple years.
 
Because this is the first GT to arrive on time.
It's actually very good time management. I and many others rather have a game that releases on schedule and gets more features with patches than a game that gets delayed for multiple years.

Lol, what's the point in arriving on time if half the game is missing?
 
Lol, what's the point in arriving on time if half the game is missing?
:indiff:

This game on release already has much more content than any other racing game. I'm just saying. And it's not ''half'',it's just some side features. Nobody buys the game JUST for B-spec or the data logger,they buy it to race and have fun.
 
My favorite thing to do in GT5 was Arcade mode with full damage because it gave real consequence to hitting the AI cars. You'll think twice about diving into corners with ABS off when you might end up in the rear of an AI car completely destroying the entire race. I hate playing Arcade mode in GT6 for multiple reasons, but this would be one of the biggest one. Trying to replace it with online against real players has its advantages, but I would still prefer to be doing Arcade again and am expecting the feature to be put back in at some point.
 
Last edited:
Maybe it's the fault of fanboys. Every time people bring up faults with GT, there's always fanboy excuses for why those aren't faults or even that they're really good things. Damage is no exception, as I can't even guess at how many times I've seen fanboys defend the lack of damage or arguing against the idea of having damage. Sooner or later, someone would surely have shown up in this topic with a rant against depicting damage.

We have a thread that's actually doing exactly what you said defending lack of damage lol. It's mind boggling really it is.
 
For actual visual damage, PD has a legit reason: anal manufacturers and freeing up processing data.

I have no idea why mechanical damage is gone from career. Maybe perhaps PD didn't like it?

Fanboy reason: Cause damage is teh sucks.
 
For actual visual damage, PD has a legit reason: anal manufacturers and freeing up processing data.

I have no idea why mechanical damage is gone from career. Maybe perhaps PD didn't like it?

Fanboy reason: Cause damage is teh sucks.
Gone ?
It was never IN career i think ?
(Only arcade, training, online)

Edit:
As for the manufacturers, is there any proof of that myth ?
IMHO this is BS and made up, real reason is hardware limitation and that it would be way to much work to make a good damage model for so many cars.
Models must be so much more perfect for that, you need engine bay, interior, model whats underneth ever fender or other body panel that can fall off. Impossible workload.
 
Last edited:
Gone ?
It was never IN career i think ?
(Only arcade, training, online)

Edit:
As for the manufacturers, is there any proof of that myth ?
IMHO this is BS and made up, real reason is hardware limitation and that it would be way to much work to make a good damage model for so many cars.
Models must be so much more perfect for that, you need engine bay, interior, model whats underneth ever fender or other body panel that can fall off. Impossible workload.
It actually is manufacterors. Point to one game with licensed cars and Burnout levels of damage. None! TDU 1 (I believe) didn't even have damage or almost none,because manufactorers didn't like their cars being wrecked. Why? No idea,but it's real.
 
Do anybody know a reason, why the mechanical damage is deactivated in career mode in GT 6 (and GT 5)? I never understood why Polyphony is not giving us the chance to turn that feature on in career mode. Now (= GT 6) it is even gone from the arcade mode. It is only possible to activate it in online racing.

For a company which is proud of its real racing experience this is a strange decision. Did Polyphony ever told somewhere why they dont want that feature in the game?

For me it makes a lot of difference when I have to avoid crashing my car. At the end I only played GT 5 in arcade mode because I was able to activate the mechanical damage that way.

I'd say it's the tiny number of laps per race and a need to get to the front fast, combined with A not I cars.
 
A not I cars
:lol:, good one 👍

They still should give us the option to switch it on !

All the "S" races would be so much more fun with the risk to bin ...
 
Do anybody know a reason, why the mechanical damage is deactivated in career mode in GT 6 (and GT 5)? I never understood why Polyphony is not giving us the chance to turn that feature on in career mode. Now (= GT 6) it is even gone from the arcade mode. It is only possible to activate it in online racing.

For a company which is proud of its real racing experience this is a strange decision. Did Polyphony ever told somewhere why they dont want that feature in the game?

For me it makes a lot of difference when I have to avoid crashing my car. At the end I only played GT 5 in arcade mode because I was able to activate the mechanical damage that way.
Though I'm not a fan of terminal, game resetting damage, GT 4 modeled mechanical damage quite well. You could still limp back to the pit in most instances...
 
Back