Extreme F1 aero designs

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 41 comments
Portugal
Lisboa
FLAT_TWELVE
I was looking for pictures of a particular F1 Ferrari with two rear wings and by googling "F1 rear wings" together with words like "funny odd double strange illegal" and maybe a few more, I found some amazing concepts. So I thought it would be interesting to share here - in a era where most of the aerodynamic refinement goes into invisible or barely visible parts of the cars - a few strange experiences made in other eras, when engeniers were still trying their ideas - sometimes quite crazy - with wings.

This is a model of the car I was searching, the Ferrari with two rear wings:

picture.php

And this is a picture of the rear wing (with built-in double diffuser :D ) of a March that I had never seen before:

picture.php

Ligier JS5 'teapot':
76bra26v%20Laffite%20Ligier%20JS5.jpg1..jpg

March 711:
800px-March_711_2007.jpg

Arrows A22 with the top wing for Monaco:
verstappen2-lg.jpg

Similar solution for Jordan:
trulli2-lg.jpg

LionF1 Project:
hhZ.jpg

The 1972 Eifelland 'periscope':
gpx1955.jpg

Brabham BT46 'fan car':
brabham-bt46b01.jpg

Tyrrell 1997 'X wings' (plus single piece nose-wing):
monaco.jpg

Ligier JS21:
51415_2.jpg

McLaren MP4/10 "mid-wing":
mclaren_1995.jpg

Tyrrell P34 (6 wheeler):
pete11.jpg

Williams 6-wheeler prototype:
sixwheelwilliams.jpg

Ferrari 6-wheeler prototype:
6W%20001%20esp.jpg

Ok, I was taking a bit of liberty by putting 6-wheelers and the fan car in there, but I can't not mention them when we talk about "extreme" F1 cars :P

Last edited:
Another strange experiment with rear wing(s): The "Boomerang" Tyrrell 012

picture.php

EDIT: Notice also the huge diffuser ...

So looking at these pictures only one questions keeps coming to mind... Did any of those crazy/extreme aero packages work? :)

Well, I can tell you that the Arrows and Jordan top wing for Monaco was quickly banned before we could see it in action. The Brabham BT46 did work very well, actually winning races, but was banned. The Tyrell P34 possessed large amounts of grip, I don't know if it won anything, and I think it was also banned.

So looking at these pictures only one questions keeps coming to mind... Did any of those crazy/extreme aero packages work? :)

The Gordon Murray-designed Brabham 'fan car' won it's first race by 34s at Anderstorp (in Lauda's hands) and the was subsequently banned. Apparantley the FIA didn't believe it was solely for cooling, and following drivers didn't like having debris thrown at them out the back of the car.

I think the P34 may have had limited success aswell.

Wow all of those are pretty damn cool. I can't imagine how comical the LionF1 car would have been though. The boomerang tyrrell, x-wing tyrrell and 6 wheeled williams are my favourite.

picture.php

Has someone been reading F1 Racing? ;) :P

Well, the 6 wheelers proved quite effective, allegedly the Williams was going to be quite competitive before all such configurations were banned.

Mid-wings are still seen today in a fashion with shark-fins, but were one of those "percentage" additions.
Same for X-wings, which were effective but didn't bring huge amounts. They were banned because they could catch the wheel gun cables easily in the pitlane and effected the driver's ability to get out of the car. They were used by a lot of teams though, so they must have brought some decent benefits. There were Ferrari and Sauber X wings too if I remember right.
The Arrows A22 front top wing apparently did bring a fair bit of downforce according to Arrows, but it was banned on the grounds of hampering the driver's vision. Same for the mini wing on the Jordan.

Eifelland's periscope mirror wasn't banned at the time, the team just collapsed. The air intake in front of the driver wasn't very effective either and the car lacked downforce and suffered overheating issues.

Last edited:
Mmm, apologies if this isn't at all what you had in mind -- but an interesting bit of Formula One nonetheless.

In 1982, Ferrari ran two equally-sized wings on each car, one slightly forward of the other, with the rationalization that no amount of wings was specified in the regulations. Apparently there was some earlier tomfoolery with 'water-cooled brakes', which would put the cars of some teams at minimum weight before the race, after which point the water was jettisoned to the tune of 50 kg advantage.

As Clive James observed in the official review of that season, after Gilles Villeneuve finished third "...we all finally found out what that rear wing was for, it was to get him disqualified. Under that special morale-busting official dispensation, which ensures that a driver must first lay his life on the line before being told that his efforts were in vain." There's great footage out there of Gilles Villeneuve powering down the straights of Long Beach in pursuit of Keke Rosberg's DFV-powered ground effect Williams. The whole 1982 Season Review as narrated by Clive James of the United States Grand Prix West is quotable :D

Tyrrell 1997 'X wings' (plus single piece nose-wing):
monaco.jpg

Tyrrell P34 (6 wheeler):
pete11.jpg
Wow all of those are pretty damn cool. I can't imagine how comical the LionF1 car would have been though. The boomerang tyrrell, x-wing tyrrell and 6 wheeled williams are my favourite.
I liked the Tyrell 'Ant-mobile' myself. ;). I was lucky enough to see it in action via the film Lap of the Gods where they mounted a camera high up on the car and angled down so that we can see how the front 4 wheels did their job in turning the car on the Monaco street course where that particular clip took place.

As for the X-wing racer, was there sponsorship on the car from the people promoting the Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy the weekends that car was running?:dopey:

picture.php

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Dunno how many times it came back to the pits right after it left to do a lap of the track...:D

Arrows A2
51417_2.jpg

Ensign N179
ensignN179.jpg

Honda RA108 'Dumbo Wings'
honda-f1-dumbo-wings.jpg

BMW Sauber F108 'Horns'
bmw-antlers.jpg

bmw-horns.jpg

1978 McLaren with second front wing
Hunt_Practice%20Spain_1978.jpg

Ferrari 162C2
Ferrari126C2_01.jpg

Lotus 88
Lotus88_01.jpg

Last edited:
Also this.. The front horns of the BMW Sauber F1.06, Magny Course.

kubi_magn_bmw_2006-470x286.jpg

EDIT: Owh, also the BMW Williams FW26 :P

williams-fw24.jpg

Last edited:
I know few people were fan of it, but I absolutely loved the FW26. I still think it looked by far the best car of 2004.

Eventhough I'm a BMW fan itself, but I still think it looks weird... BTW, I know it looks unique that time and it also looks other than the other from the rest of the grid. Awesome... but weird :(

The Brabham BT46 did work very well, actually winning races, but was banned. The Tyrell P34 possessed large amounts of grip, I don't know if it won anything, and I think it was also banned.
Why don't you look things up before you post?

The BT46 won one race at Anderstorp in Sweden, before the fan was banned.

The Tyrrell P34 ran for a couple of seasons ('76-'77), winning one race in Anderstorp in Sweden. It was never banned*, but they lost support from the tyre manufacturer who made the small fronts, and they became uncompetitive, so they reverted back to normal sized fronts for their next cars.

* The rules were later changed to state that the cars must have 4 wheels, but the P34 was never banned during it's life.

I'm guessing nobody has seen the proposals for the new IndyCar chassis?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125476

To quote yourself:
Um, did you read the thread title? This is not the silly season thread, this is the New Teams Discussion thread. Toro Rosso is not a new team; Jaime Alguersuari is not a new driver. The only reason why I reported Lopez going to USF1 and Soucek being rumours for the Campos seat is because USF1 and Campos fit the definition of new teams.

Go figure.

Not an Indycar thread :P

You aint seen nothing yet, just look at the trends hitting f1 this season. The area around the rear wing is going to get more and more winglets in a quest for more downforce. Also, check out the Brake ducts

full

You aint seen nothing yet, just look at the trends hitting f1 this season. The area around the rear wing is going to get more and more winglets in a quest for more downforce. Also, check out the Brake ducts

I think their was a far more dramatic change between '08 and '09 than is going on now. The only real changes this year are that the cars are a bit longer to accomodate a larger fuel tank, no wheel covers, and a few extra bits of carbon fibre put on the wings. Other than that, they are more or less the same as last years models.

Woops, Double post!

Was that deliberate? Because it doesn't look as if you've done any editing to the post. :)

Lets go back a few years...

1969 McLaren M7c

Clicky

Was that deliberate? Because it doesn't look as if you've done any editing to the post. :)
You get a few minutes to edit a post without the edited post text showing up

Back