F1 2016: First Screenshots

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 666 comments
I don't really have the patience. I'll probably trade it in for store credit and put that on my Final Fantasy XV pre-order. F1 2016 was fun while it lasted, but there's just no replay value.

I've noticed that quite often actually, the AI teams tend to develop a number of parts at a time. Does keep it very interesting watching the other teams go up and down the order, though it isn't very realistic...

It is realistic actually. If you follow F1, you'll notice it's really common for teams to introduce multiple upgrades at a time. They work on upgrade "packages", for months sometimes. In the game, sometimes a team will do one upgrade, sometimes you get a team doing three or four in one go, and you'll see this in real F1 as well. The game does this to compensate for the development being very simplified in the game, because if it was aiming to be perfectly realistic in development, you'd need to develop several aero parts at a time, because even minor changes in things like front wings or bargeboards require multiple changes to surfaces downstream to maximise potential.

Teams will often, these days, hold off on introducing new aero devices until they're able to bring upgraded PUs. This is because the extra power will mitigate any increase in drag for higher downforce aero parts. Red Bull did that this year. They waited until Renault had major PU updates to introduce, and brought some new aero parts at the same GP. They were already suffering on the straights because of their draggy chassis, so they didn't want to compound the problem with the new spec parts, so they waited for the better engines to nullify that disadvantage.

It's not realistic how quickly each team is able to move up the order, however, but I've addressed that before. The upgrades are far too cheap considering how big a performance gain you get from them. Being able to get a Manor or Renault onto the same Level as Mercedes in one season is hugely unrealistic. Though big moves up the grid on occasion aren't unprecedented. Force India last year for example, had a very poor car in the first half of the year, and introduced a car with so many improvements on it mid season, they called it a "B-spec", and they were much more competitive for the rest of the season. The opposite was true of Sauber: They were very competitive at the start of 2015, and were backmarkers at the end of the season.

Last edited:
I do follow F1 very closely, especially tech upgrades! :sly:

I should have been clearer, I was indeed agreeing with your last statement that the realism lost is in that teams can freely move up and down the development order. Over the course of a F1 season, gaps between teams may rise and fall and POSSIBLY even see a power shift if the gaps were already close, but in general a team will not rise from the back to the midfield after 6 or so races, and just a handful of parts.

Well im pretty impressed with the AI taking risks on different strategies...at Canada and the rain came in the last 5 laps...i went onto inters in 2nd place,with Alonso staying out on softs.

He never went in! He chose to risk it and try and finish the race,biu i caught him with 1 lap to go and i took the win!

Anyone else like this trait in the AI? Makes them feel less robotic...

Anyone else like this trait in the AI? Makes them feel less robotic...

They're also very probabilistic in their on-track battles - I've noticed that if I'm behind two AI that are racing each other and they crash, then if I flashback they may not race the same way, and potentially avoid the crash they caused the first time so I can keep racing them. I like that.

I like that the AI make these kinds of mistakes. Just finished Japan the other night, and at one point Hamilton tried to pass using DRS along the start straight. He was alongside and on the inside going into turn 1, so I had already given up the position when he outbraked himself and ran out onto the astroturf! Was all too happy to recover the position :D

Later on at the same corner, I was chasing Ricciardo (jumped me in the pitstops) and Massa (benefitted from a VSC) and something similar happened between them, as Ricciardo lunged up the inside and they both ran out wide, allowing me to come through and pass them both!

Both of these moments made me fall in love with this game all over again. Racing against AI on any game there have a number of overtaking moves made - the dirty lunges, the ones where the AI don't defend at all, block passes, or just blasting past on a straight. But the AI is refined in F1 2016 to the point where you don't know what is going to happen when you make your move. Sometimes the AI will still jump straight out of your way and make it easy, but most of the time they will actually squeeze you back and make it difficult. Sometimes there is contact and they are at fault! And these mistakes play into that as well, since I really believed there was a fight going on and I was causing myself to be a pain to some lines of code. Seeing Hamilton run wide, I had to use reaction and instinct to reposition myself back on his right to regain the position. It was very satisfying!

I am fuming, had a good 1st season with Ferrari, won the championship. 2nd season i am leading the championship and i just won at Monaco, Ferrari then sack me. Seriously,thats crazy. Started again at Manor, career mode is flawed anyway with the r & d system not resetting after each season.

Up to Singapore in Season 3,im having a real epic ding dong battle with Hamilton at the top of the standings - im currently 14 points ahead but the lead has changed hands several times.

I made a big error at Spa,going onto Inters way too early - but then a message came up on the screen : 'Hamilton is out of the race' ....and i let out a big cheer haha.

My Manor team has peaked with all upgrades done a while ago,and is now slipping down - currently the 6th best team - so its now or never to win the Championship in this car!!

I am fuming, had a good 1st season with Ferrari, won the championship. 2nd season i am leading the championship and i just won at Monaco, Ferrari then sack me. Seriously,thats crazy.

That's gotta be a bug. You're only meant to get sacked if you're underperforming.

Has anyone been able to move up more than one tier at a time? By which I mean, if you start in a bottom tier car like a Sauber, Renault, or Manor, have you ever gotten a contract offer from a top-tier team? I only ask because I won the driver's championship in my second season at Renault, far outperforming my team mate, and only got offered contracts from the same teams that offered me contracts at the end of the first season when I took fifth in the standings, all of them one tier up from Renault, and by the time I got offers from them, far behind Renault in R&D.

I figured you must only be able to move up one tier at a time. So that means you can't develop a backmarker team over a couple of seasons and take the title with them, and then move to a top team. You have to move up to a midfield team first. I got offered contracts with Force India, Toro Rosso, and Mclaren. Mclaren were the lowest of these teams, so I chose them for a new challenge. Hoping to get an offer from Ferrari at the end of this season, as I spent two years at Renault, and would prefer to only spend one year with Mclaren.

Going to USA with a 3 point lead over Hamilton,i battled to a hard fought 4th place while Hamilton retired half way through - and another yelp of joy from me hehe. A 15 point lead now with 3 races left,and Mexico & Brazil are normally strong tracks for me - the title going to Manor?! :)

I clinched the world championship for Manor at Brazil! I got a 3rd place in a full wet race while Hamilton came 11th and out of the points again - dont think he scored any points in the last 4 races,making it easy for me after such an epic battle all season. Abu Dabhi,the last race i may switch it up to Master difficulty and see what its like as im planning to have that in season 4. Still deciding which team though!

I'm currently just seven races into my third season. My rookie season was spent fighting mostly in the midfield with a Renault, and managing to take 4 wins and 2 seconds. We developed the car over the first half of the season, and then froze development at Singapore, with an eye to making big strides toward the top of the tables in my second season.

my second season was very successful. I finished all bar two races on the podium, and won most of those. I won all bar two of the races in the second half of the season, and had the championship wrapped up at Suzuka. Thanks to Magnussen being mostly hopeless in the races, we got beaten by Red Bull to the constructor's title though :banghead:. We kept the development going right through the year, and by season's end we were second only to Red Bull, though the gap was quite significant, as Red Bull have by far been the best in the development race, and have ended up way ahead of everyone else.

At the end of my second season, I was offered contracts with Toro Rosso, Force India, and Mclaren. I figured that in order to catch the eye of the top teams, I would need to move up to a "tier 2" team. I chose Mclaren for a new challenge, as they had slumped to the very bottom of the development table, so strangely enough, in order to move up to a big team, I had to leave my championship capable team for a backmarker.

I got to Mclaren to find they had a level 3 upgraded engine, and everything else down on level 1. So in the first few races, I did the full practice programs to gather as many points as possible to do a couple of downforce upgrades (in the first two seasons, I didn't do practice programs, to limit the development to a slightly more realistic pace). So far, I have had some very lucky circumstances in a few races, and have managed to win 5 of the first 7 races!

In Australia, a race I hadn't won in either of my years at Renault, I qualified in a fairly low position (can't remember exactly, but barely got through q1). But for the race, I had opted for a heavy tyre saving trategy, thanks to seeing in the practice program that the Mclaren, how I had set it up, was very gentle on the tyres. There was a fair bit of carnage in the race, with two safety car periods, during which various drivers pitted, some going for very aggressive strategies, and in the end I found myself in fourth place with just 7 laps to go.

I had both Mercs ahead of me, who were fighting each other pretty hard, slowing both of them down, though not enough for me to catch up, and well ahead of them was Verstappen. Ricciardo had been involved in an incident after the first round of stops, which had led to the first safety car period, so that was one less car that could finish ahead of me. In Hamilton and Rosberg's epic battle for second, they had both chosen to make a late stop for fresh tyres, which got them both out of my way. I was very happy about this, as the only car close behind me was Bottas, who I could keep behind relatively easily, and behind us was a decent sized gap, in which the Mercs slotted into.

Then with just I think 4 laps from the end, Verstappen started going very slowly, and I was taking multiple seconds per sector out of his lead. As I rounded the last corner onto the straight, I saw him in the pits, so he must have picked up a puncture. What luck! I had found myself in the lead of the race, in a somewhat Steven Bradbury fashion (the Aussie speed skater who won gold only because everyone else crashed on the last corner from ahead of him lol), and despite my very old tyres requiring a lot of care with the throttle in the last few laps, I was almost guaranteed the win. In those last three laps, Verstappen caught up to me and Bottas so quickly it was scary. He even managed to pass Bottas on the final lap to take second, but thankfully in their relatively short battle, they'd dropped about a second behind me, and given me just enough margin to hold onto the lead until the end.

My win at Sochi was equally as lucky, in an equally crazy race, but I won on merit at Shanghai, Monaco, and Canada, but finished 8th and 9th respectively at Bahrain and Spain. Thanks to a fair bit of luck in Australia and Russia, I currently have a 30 point lead in the championship from Ricciardo.

I intend to keep developing the car all the way to the end of the season (though I've reverted back to not doing practice programs now), and I'm hoping for a contract offer from Ferrari at the end of the season, so I can get them back to the front of the field. When I moved to Mclaren, I was expecting a very difficult season, but so far I'm shocked at how competitive I've been. I might end up having to move up to the hardest difficulty, because I'm currently on Legend with no assists, and I'm consistently over a second per lap faster than Alonso in qualifying.

These stories everyone is telling about their races and seasons... we all have them. It's so cool going into weekends not knowing what could happen to me or my rivals and see all kinds of different racing situations influencing the outcome of each race. Pretty impressive considering we are racing against AI. It's these stories that convinced me to buy this even though I hadn't played or even considered F1 games since the '90s.

These stories everyone is telling about their races and seasons... we all have them. It's so cool going into weekends not knowing what could happen to me or my rivals and see all kinds of different racing situations influencing the outcome of each race. Pretty impressive considering we are racing against AI. It's these stories that convinced me to buy this even though I hadn't played or even considered F1 games since the '90s.

Yep, no other racing game's AI is anywhere near as convincing as this. The races have depth and variety, and the AI feels alive, with every driver doing different things, making decisions on the fly, choosing different strategies to each other, even racing differently, with some taking bigger risks and being more aggressive than others.

Yep, no other racing game's AI is anywhere near as convincing as this. The races have depth and variety, and the AI feels alive, with every driver doing different things, making decisions on the fly, choosing different strategies to each other, even racing differently, with some taking bigger risks and being more aggressive than others.

yeah,this makes it hard for me to go back to something like Pcars and the random teams/driver names you get every race,theres no way to form rivalries with teams/drivers.

TOCA on PS1 was just the best at this - im just praying Codies do the Dirt Rally approach for touring cars - bring back those intense championships and getting to know the individual drivers. F1 is great,but i strive to drive something other than open wheel cars where you can get clipped at any moment.

yeah,this makes it hard for me to go back to something like Pcars and the random teams/driver names you get every race,theres no way to form rivalries with teams/drivers.

TOCA on PS1 was just the best at this - im just praying Codies do the Dirt Rally approach for touring cars - bring back those intense championships and getting to know the individual drivers. F1 is great,but i strive to drive something other than open wheel cars where you can get clipped at any moment.

Yeah I've been hoping for a more sim like Grid game for ages now. Something with the variety of the PS2 Race Driver games would be awesome. Actually, I would love to see a new V8 Supercars game, as Race Driver 3 was the last game to have all the V8 Supercars circuits, some of which are awesome.

So im onto season 4,going to Force India and up to Master difficulty - ive had finishes of 12th,8th,4th,11th....and ive had a written warning already! Seems a bit harsh!

Does that mean i get sacked in 4 races if i dont improve?

Ive gotta say im enjoying the challenge of master level,battling for points,but Force India are expecting me to challenge for the title hehe.

Well this is ridiculous - after getting a 2nd place in Baku ive been SACKED by Force India,despite being 3rd in the championship!!

They then gave me a choice between either Sauber (bottom team) or retirement.

How harsh is that?! And i was really enjoying the challenge of this season.....I think Codies got this part wrong - im not sure if i want to carry on now.

Well this is ridiculous - after getting a 2nd place in Baku ive been SACKED by Force India,despite being 3rd in the championship!!

They then gave me a choice between either Sauber (bottom team) or retirement.

How harsh is that?! And i was really enjoying the challenge of this season.....I think Codies got this part wrong - im not sure if i want to carry on now.
Mate, i got sacked by Ferrari after a win and being top of the championship.If you mention it on the codies f1 forum aswell would be helpful, the more people saying there is a problem with it the better, lozzie will look into it.

Mate, i got sacked by Ferrari after a win and being top of the championship.If you mention it on the codies f1 forum aswell would be helpful, the more people saying there is a problem with it the better, lozzie will look into it.

What followed was my most satisfying GP ever in Austria ha. I chose to take up the Sauber offer and put the difficulty back down to Expert as i havnt a hope in hell otherwise.

Qualifying was as expected,the Sauber is the bottom ranked team and the car was slow as - i started in 22nd.

I saw the race was turning wet half way through so i chose to start on softs and then onto Inters.

I basically one-stopped my way to an inbelievable win in the Sauber!! Everyone else two-stopped or more as they started on softer tyres - also a safety car was perfectly timed for me.

I probably wont ever win in the Sauber again so i enjoyed this one - and up yours Force India!!

Guys. I have found the holy grail.

This setup site. With one of the setups I went from matching expert ai to ultimate ai.

http://f1carsetup.com/

Just tested my old setup. 1 second slower and I cut loads of corners. :lol:

The specific setup which is the holy grail.

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Aero: 8
Rear Wing Aero: 7

Transmission
Differential Adjustment On Throttle: 70%
Differential Adjustment Off throttle: 70%

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber: -2.50
Rear Camber: -1.00
Front Toe: 0.05
Rear Toe: 0.20

Suspension
Font Suspension: 11
Rear Suspension: 8
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 8
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 6
Front Ride Height: 5
Rear Ride Height: 5

Brakes
Brake Pressure: 82%
Front Brake Bias: 59%

Tyres
Front Tyre Pressure: 23.0psi
Rear Tyre Pressure: 21.5psi

Weight Distribution
Ballast: 11

3 seconds faster at Bahrain too.
They're for all cars? I mostly drive Redbull/Mercedes.

Well i have started my career with Renault and on Hard difficulty, hope to get a contract from Haas and hopefully make it to Red Bull.

So far i have finished everything in the first round but the race, surprisingly i qualified 2nd so maybe I can get a positive finish.

Latest Posts

Back