F1 2016: First Screenshots

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 666 comments
You're leaning on the front too much, but really that kind of wear on those circuits is normal. You'll usually get more wear on the side of the car that is on the outside of the majority of the corners
It seems to be happening everywhere, irrespective of downforce or how hard I push.

I think I might have cured the problem by decreasing the front toe. The problems emerged after I did development on the car, and I was getting extreme wear on a gront tyre regardless of the circuit type.

Going into the Japan GP in my season 2,and there is 12 points covering the top 4!

Hamilton & Rosberg 1st & 2nd - but Raikonnen & myself in the Manor are very close behind. Bottas in 5th is very quick atm aswell.

Theres no doubt the Singapore GP is one of the toughest weekends,a long track,a lot of corners - it takes a lot more concentration than other tracks imo. I managed to execute my first one stopper - coming from 21st to finish in 7th! Definatly my drive of the season so far - very tough race.

Ive halted development with just 4 upgrades to go on the final tier. Mercedes are top,with Force India 2nd and ourselves in 3rd in the chart.

These final races of season 2 will be very interesting - to see if Mercedes can hold onto the top two places! Its incredible i could win the title...

So just did the Japan GP - it started with light rain with 6 laps to go - 4 laps to go,DRS disabled - so i go into pits. My TM Wehlein was the only other guy who went to fit Inters for the rest of the race. I caught up with some drivers really struggling on meds/hards and finished 4th.

But the top 3 managed to hold on with dry compounds!! Is this the AI actually being intelligent ha?! Its the choice i would make with only a couple of laps remaining,to stick it out on dry tyres.....

Any news on when the new patch is dropping on PS4? I'd like to be able to play Career again without being too fast or too slow for the AI

But the top 3 managed to hold on with dry compounds!!
I had something similar in Malaysia - it started raining right after the first set of stops, so half the field pitted for new dry tyres while the other half stayed out and tried to save a pit stop. The rain ended a few laps from the end, so half the field went back to dries and the other half limped home on wets. It worked out quite nicely because the two separate groups converged right at the death.

Everyone, that is, except for Jolyon Palmer - Palmer did the opposite of what everyone around him did at the both rounds of stops, and wound up almost a lap behind.

So just did the Japan GP - it started with light rain with 6 laps to go - 4 laps to go,DRS disabled - so i go into pits. My TM Wehlein was the only other guy who went to fit Inters for the rest of the race. I caught up with some drivers really struggling on meds/hards and finished 4th.

But the top 3 managed to hold on with dry compounds!! Is this the AI actually being intelligent ha?! Its the choice i would make with only a couple of laps remaining,to stick it out on dry tyres.....

I had something similar in Malaysia - it started raining right after the first set of stops, so half the field pitted for new dry tyres while the other half stayed out and tried to save a pit stop. The rain ended a few laps from the end, so half the field went back to dries and the other half limped home on wets. It worked out quite nicely because the two separate groups converged right at the death.

Everyone, that is, except for Jolyon Palmer - Palmer did the opposite of what everyone around him did at the both rounds of stops, and wound up almost a lap behind.

Yep, I too have had a similar scenario with the AI making different strategic choices to each other near the end of the race when it's started raining. I also chose to pit, and the last few laps was epic as a sliced my way through the field, most of whom had chosen to stay out on slicks. In the end I finished exactly where I was when I decided to pit, so I didn't gain or lose anything, but some other AI drivers had gained a lot by pitting from lower positions and making up places before the finish. Wish I had saved the replay because it was an epic race between the AI drivers, so much action!

The AI being able to make strategic choices like this, and often making different decisions to each other, even changing their strategies mid race when conditions change (weather, safety car, etc.), really sets this game apart for me. The AI feel more like real drivers than any other game I can think of.

The AI being able to make strategic choices like this, and often making different decisions to each other, even changing their strategies mid race when conditions change (weather, safety car, etc.), really sets this game apart for me. The AI feel more like real drivers than any other game I can think of.
I just wish Jeff was a bit more fallible. He's always right when he predicts weather changes or opponent pit strategies.

Am I crazy if I can imagine Croft, Brundle and Kravitz commentating on my race?

I just had a very eventful race at COTA. Vettel turned me around on a safety car restart, and I got hit by Nasr, incurring a five-second stop-go penalty and front wing damage. My race was pretty much ruined, but I had deliberately qualified on softs because the supers were burning out too quickly. However, everyone around me had started on supers, and the weather was about to change. They all pitted, taking another set of supers, and I realised that between the penalty and the front wing change, my stop would be as long as two stops, so I could earn the time back if I stayed out long enough for the rain to start. I ended up doing qualifying laps in variable conditions and on tyres with 80% wear, so glancing a single kerb would cause a single puncture.

I did it, but missed the podium.

I have noticed one thing about 'light rain' - im not sure if it was a glitch or not. I was at Monza with about 8 laps left and it started raining. I waited a bit and decided i would be the first to go on Inters - BUT the rain never effected the track for the rest of the race - it was just showing the rain falling,but there was no spray coming up from the tyres - so i lost of positions as the AI stayed on drys - it was pretty much dry conditions til the end still - can this happen sometimes?

Yeah,there is so much more going in these races compared to the previous F1 games - l like how retired cars stay on track for a while,makes it more realistic. I bet if we went back to the previous games the races would seem so dull. This is the main thing i wanted in this one,and Codies have delivered in that respect - also theres much more stategy in tyres now - the last race at Abu Dabhi is such an interesting one as the AI are all on different strategies and theres so much pit stop action and things to think about.

I have noticed one thing about 'light rain' - im not sure if it was a glitch or not. I was at Monza with about 8 laps left and it started raining. I waited a bit and decided i would be the first to go on Inters - BUT the rain never effected the track for the rest of the race
I have noticed this before, but I don't think that it's a glitch. I think that there are several variables that affect it, such as how much grip there is. Some circuits tend to become waterlogged or dry out faster than others, and there seems to be an element of randomness to it. Codemasters seem to have introduced it to stop you figuring out exactly when the conditions will change. Jeff will usually give you some warning as to when a change is imminent, and there's usually a pretty wise window for the cross-over - you can keep slicks working in rain and inters working in the dry for quite some time.

Another full wet race at the USA GP....i qualified 5th and managed to take the lead in the first lap,fending the two mercedes off for the rest of the race! Everyone one stopped and it was a really defensive drive from me.

Going into Mexico - iam LEVEL on points at the top with Rosberg on 203!! Hamilton is 3 points back....the problem is that Mercedes have just had two upgrades and are going to be really strong for the final races....

I just wish Jeff was a bit more fallible. He's always right when he predicts weather changes or opponent pit strategies.

Yeah, although it'd probably annoy the hell out of me if he didn't know what the weather was doing lol. But I get your point. I miss having my wheel properly supported, because when using it with GIMX, you can't use the controller's headphone jack for the headset, and I loved using the headset to get info from Jeff. Was even more immersive when I could talk to the engineer and use his knowledge to help plan my strategies on the fly. The only upside to not being able to do that is that there's no way I'm stuffing about using the d-pad to scroll through all those options, so without Jeff's wisdom I'm somewhat left in the dark lol. Makes it a bit harder, but he does still automatically tell me about imminent weather changes.

I have noticed one thing about 'light rain' - im not sure if it was a glitch or not. I was at Monza with about 8 laps left and it started raining. I waited a bit and decided i would be the first to go on Inters - BUT the rain never effected the track for the rest of the race - it was just showing the rain falling,but there was no spray coming up from the tyres - so i lost of positions as the AI stayed on drys - it was pretty much dry conditions til the end still - can this happen sometimes?

As @prisonermonkeys said, there are a lot of variables that affect this. The track surface temp is modeled, as is air temp. If the surface temp doesn't go down quickly when it starts raining, the track will stay fast and grippy until enough rain has fallen to cool the surface down. In this scenario, if the rain stays light, and the air temp isn't particularly low, it'll take quite a while to cool the surface of the track, and even longer for surface water to start to build up.

The surface and tyre models this year saw pretty big changes and evolutions on what was already a good foundation last year with the new models, and the realism this year is impressive for a yearly F1 release. A good way to be sure is to wait for Jeff to suggest a pit strategy with a compound change to inters, or if you want to pull the trigger yourself, which can be beneficial in some circumstances, you really have to get used to what the track surface wetness looks like. What I mean is, if you pay enough attention, you'll get to know what the surface looks like when it's getting wet enough for inters, and wets. It also helps massively to get to know how dry the racing line needs to be for an early switch to inters from wets, or slicks from inters, to work.

Another great thing this year is the dynamic weather model includes localised rain. They've made the variation pretty small, so you can't get heavy rain on one part of the track with no rain on another, but you do get variations on how hard it rains on different parts of the circuit sometimes, which can catch you out. I got caught out big time on inters at Canada once when sector one was proper inter conditions, and then the hairpin before the straight was wet as hell. Expected it to be all wet next lap but it was the same for a few laps, damp in sector one, and soaked in the second half of sector two.

The weather changes are cool. I was in Canada, with Renault, on Expert. Qualified close to my teammate in the midfield. When the rain started I pitted first for inters and ate up the grid. It rained most of the race and I was leading. I felt like Vettel in the Toro Rosso at Monza. Then it stopped raining with a few laps to go. As the field pitted for slicks, I stayed out. I could feel the track was ripe for the change but thought I could hold on. Then they started lapping four seconds faster than me. Two laps to go and I was leading. I finished 11th. First stop: risky but good call. 2nd non-stop: risky but bad call. Result: a wash. Fun Factor: 100%.

The weather changes are cool. I was in Canada, with Renault, on Expert. Qualified close to my teammate in the midfield. When the rain started I pitted first for inters and ate up the grid. It rained most of the race and I was leading. I felt like Vettel in the Toro Rosso at Monza. Then it stopped raining with a few laps to go. As the field pitted for slicks, I stayed out. I could feel the track was ripe for the change but thought I could hold on. Then they started lapping four seconds faster than me. Two laps to go and I was leading. I finished 11th. First stop: risky but good call. 2nd non-stop: risky but bad call. Result: a wash. Fun Factor: 100%.

100% agree. I've made bad strategy calls resulting in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory a couple of times. Never has losing been so much fun :lol:

A puncture on the last lap may have cost me the title! Tyre wear was really bad in Brazil,i was in 7th fending off Rosberg when i got the puncture with TWO corners left,i got overtaken on the straight to finish in 11th! Hamilton won the race - giving him a 9 point lead going to Abu Dabhi!!

I know i still have a big chance to win it,but really i need the two Mercedes to really mess up and i need a podium!

Anyone else think that Brazil is just the most thrilling race of all? Its such a great track to drive on,and because its so short,you have intense battle in all parts of the circuit. Its the one i most look forward to.

A puncture on the last lap may have cost me the title! Tyre wear was really bad in Brazil,i was in 7th fending off Rosberg when i got the puncture with TWO corners left,i got overtaken on the straight to finish in 11th! Hamilton won the race - giving him a 9 point lead going to Abu Dabhi!!

I know i still have a big chance to win it,but really i need the two Mercedes to really mess up and i need a podium!

Anyone else think that Brazil is just the most thrilling race of all? Its such a great track to drive on,and because its so short,you have intense battle in all parts of the circuit. Its the one i most look forward to.

Interlagos is awesome. One of my favourite F1 tracks. Used to be great when it was the last race on the calendar. Sux that the god awful carpark that is Abu Dhabi is now the last race :yuck:

Interlagos is awesome. One of my favourite F1 tracks
It's one of my favourites, too. I just got my first career win there. I won by over forty seconds. I was kicking myself over some scruffy lap times, but when I reviewed the final standings, I noticed that they were still faster than some of the fastest laps set by my rivals. I was sure that I could set a time deep into the 1:13s - and if you added up my fastest sector times across the weekend, I was threatening (but not quite there) the high 1:12s - and was really quite disappointed that I didn't do it.

It's one of my favourites, too. I just got my first career win there. I won by over forty seconds. I was kicking myself over some scruffy lap times, but when I reviewed the final standings, I noticed that they were still faster than some of the fastest laps set by my rivals. I was sure that I could set a time deep into the 1:13s - and if you added up my fastest sector times across the weekend, I was threatening (but not quite there) the high 1:12s - and was really quite disappointed that I didn't do it.

Nice job. I have no idea what my lap times were when I was last there. I just took another win at Monaco from pole, and followed it up with a win from second on the grid in Canada. This meant one thing: My weakest circuit from my first season was up next. Baku.

Now the first time around I found it difficult to find a set-up that allowed me to place the front end where I wanted it on corner entry, this was probably due to the Renault only having the tier one updates installed, and still being quite a heavy car with a lack of downforce. This time around, the car has all the tier three updates, and feels much more nimble than it did originally, so I was hoping to be more competitive. Last time, IIRC, I qualified something like 16th, and finished 11th, but as the car was much more competitive with the other top cars this time around, I was hoping to trouble the top 5. I didn't have time to do the race last night, but was anxious to see my performance, so I did practice and quali.

Managed to set the third fastest time in q1, though one of the cars ahead of me (Ricciardo) had set his time on softs, so I was expecting the bulls to have a significant advantage. In q2 the two bulls were 9 tenths clear of the field, and I was fourth behind Hamilton, 1.1 seconds off Verstappen's time in first. I went into q3 very happy, because I felt way more comfortable at the circuit than I did the previous season, which made me feel like it was less my fault, and more the car's fault, for the poor showing last season. I was happy with being as far up as fourth, and was hoping to repeat that performance in q3. To my surprise, the track evolution was major, and most cars were significantly faster in q3 than they were in q2. That was, except for the two Red Bulls! I set a time two hundredths faster than Verstappen's q2 time, but he lost a tenth on his q2 time, and Ricciardo gained about a tenth, to slot in just behind me, and just ahead of his team mate. Hamilton has also gained a significant chunk of time, and instead of being 9 tenths down on the Bulls, was now just 3 tenths down. I couldn't believe I had snatched pole, after not leading a single practice or quali session before q3 lol.

Really looking forward to the race now, as the car feels quite nice to drive, with a very positive front end, which will help me to be consistent in the race. The only dark horse will be Raikkonen, who, despite being about a second off the pace, was the only driver to make it to q3 on softs, so he might have a strategic advantage in the race. I'm just happy that I'm going into a race where I was expecting to have to do damage limitation, trying to protect my 33 point championship lead as best I can, but I'm now going into the race with an eye on increasing my championship lead :D

Hamilton has snatched the championship in the last two races with two wins in my season 2! Hes been 3rd/4th all season but Mercedes got a development late on and he took advantage.

He cruised to a win at Abu Dabhi,while i pulled off my drive of the season...starting from 22nd to finish in 4th! Another full wet race on inters...myself and the rest made 2 stops,while the top 3 made a 1 stop - how is that possible?!

My inters were lasting 12 laps maximum....

So i finished 3rd in the championship behind Rosberg...

Season 3 i will be surely challenging for the title,i have 2 more upgrades until im maxed out.

But looking at the career mode now,it seems that Mercedes will always be the number 1 team! They keep just staying ahead on development....

Hopefully my TM Wehlein can start mixing it up a bit in the top 5 aswell....

Hamilton has snatched the championship in the last two races with two wins in my season 2!
He seems to be able to come from nowhere. He's consistently failing to advance beyond Q1, but he's usually on the podium at the end, and some of the lap times that he produces seem to be impossible. What's weirder is that Rosberg has similar qualifying problems, and I often emerge behind them. They stay withing sight of me, but the seemingly-impossible laptimes Hamilton produces happen at this point.

He seems to be able to come from nowhere. He's consistently failing to advance beyond Q1, but he's usually on the podium at the end, and some of the lap times that he produces seem to be impossible. What's weirder is that Rosberg has similar qualifying problems, and I often emerge behind them. They stay withing sight of me, but the seemingly-impossible laptimes Hamilton produces happen at this point.

Is everyones career development just random then? Ive seen another guys season 2 where red bull are the dominant team..because Mercedes just didnt develop.

But it seems Mercedes will always be the number 1 team in mine...Ferrari had number 1 for a few races but have faded badly.

I was hoping that Sauber/Renault might develop into a top 5 team...but cant see that happening..theyre still the bottom 2.

I have a feeling after season 3 or 4 everyone will have developed fully and normal order will be resumed...so whats the point of a 10 season career?!

Ugh, just had a tough race in Abu Dhabi. No matter what I did, I kept shredding the tyres. After a couple of false starts, I had to deliberately under-fuel the car and coast at times. I managed fourth, but only by playing the strategy game. It helped that the Manors and Renaults held everyone up by trying to cut a stop out of their strategies.

Is everyones career development just random then? Ive seen another guys season 2 where red bull are the dominant team..because Mercedes just didnt develop.
It seems to be that way. Ferrari are winning the development race in my career, with Red Bull second, McLaren third and Mercedes and Force India trading blows for fourth.

Been away from GTPlanet for a while, but I've progressed to the Italian Grand Prix when my daughter and wife allow! I've switched to McLaren mid-season (yes, I'm still in Season 1 after restarting...) and I'm struggling with their lack of development. I'm kind of glad the game is ever so slightly more difficult though and I'm still pulling in the results.

Just had a strange weekend at Belgium. I had a SHOCKING Friday. I was really slow, but I was burning through the tyres as well. Normally I try to perfect the practice programmes, but I wasn't even able to pass them. I saved there, thinking I would mull things over and attack the rest of the weekend fresh the next day. I changed the setup (although it didn't feel that much different but for the wing levels) and suddenly I was able to perfect all of the practice programmes in P3, and went on to secure a shock second place on the grid (I found another second between Q1 and Q3 in my driving style alone). Even better, a full wet race allowed me to take the win! :)

Back