F1 2017 Game General Discussion

From what I've seen in a couple of career videos, it seems to be a sporadic thing. Or is it more than that?
It is sporadic, more rare after the 1.06 update.

Sorry, sorry, sorry! Ignore that. I've given you my WRC 7 settings! Will get back to you with F1 2017 settings once I've stopped playing FM7 demo!

Ok, whew I'm glad I looked in here one more time before making those adjustments. I thought that FFB of 100 would be too strong because that's what it was the first time I tried playing and it made it shake so hard.

Take your time because I'll have PCars2 to keep me busy in a few days also.

From what I've seen in a couple of career videos, it seems to be a sporadic thing. Or is it more than that?

I can say it happens most of the time. Like 60% to me.
EDIT: I played yesterday after the patch, it happens way less now.

Got my copy earlier today, and seeing as it's been 4 years since the last time I played an F1 game, I'm having to get used to it all again.

Looks good, though.

Got my copy earlier today, and seeing as it's been 4 years since the last time I played an F1 game, I'm having to get used to it all again.

Looks good, though.
Trust me, it really is. I've missed running 100% races on this game.

Got my yesterday and started playing today. Really enjoying it but still can't do Tyre Management in Practice sessions. I think I could do them if I had a wheel but I can't toggle the stick lightly enough to round the corners.

Was it ever announced if liveries would be updated to what they were past (insert race here)?, I want to say something was said by Codemasters on that but I can't seem to get a straight answer from google. ("F1 2017" brings up so much clutter)

Got my yesterday and started playing today. Really enjoying it but still can't do Tyre Management in Practice sessions. I think I could do them if I had a wheel but I can't toggle the stick lightly enough to round the corners.

Lift and coast slightly around the apex of high speed corners, where the tyres will be at their peak loading. On most circuits you can drive fairly normally everywhere except a handful of the most heavily loaded corners, and you should still pass the tyre management test.

Edit: On Bahrain I was able to drive a normal lap except the 3 most heavily loaded corners, in which I'd lift and coast around the apex, the metre would make a massive jump into the purple each time, and I passed the test. This was with a controller, and I suck with the controller (Long time wheel player waiting on a new wheel).

So before Project CARS 2 came out, everyone was questioning Codemasters' decision to release F1 2017 right before PC2, thinking they must have been crazy to release so close to a game that would surely steal a large portion of it's players.

Now that PC2 is out, it looks like Codies have pulled a masterstroke. Think about it: When F1 2017 launched, there was a fair bit of grumbling about the bugs it has, but now people are comparing it to PC2, it looks more polished than the world championship trophy :lol:

Shame that the classic car section in this game didnt provide as much atmosphere as F1 2013. Especially the pitstop one. F1 1992 with F1 2017 pitstop style and speed seems off.

Least we get lots of classic cars this time around.

So before Project CARS 2 came out, everyone was questioning Codemasters' decision to release F1 2017 right before PC2, thinking they must have been crazy to release so close to a game that would surely steal a large portion of it's players.

Now that PC2 is out, it looks like Codies have pulled a masterstroke. Think about it: When F1 2017 launched, there was a fair bit of grumbling about the bugs it has, but now people are comparing it to PC2, it looks more polished than the world championship trophy :lol:
I don't think F1 2017 was directly competing with Project CARS 2, it's too mass-market for that. It did release well ahead of Forza Motorsport 7 and Gran Turismo Sport however, far enough in advance for me to fully complete it before those 2 games arrive.

---

Also, I did a write-up over on the Codemasters forums, copying it below:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discu...y-thanks-to-codemasters-for-all-the-hard-work

p6a3Xb4.png

Hi all,

It's that time of the year again, where I do a small write-up with my thoughts on the game after hitting 100% completion.
For reference here's the same thread for F1 2016.

After dropping the F1 series for a number of years I came back for F1 2016 and had a great time with it. While F1 2017 doesn't reinvent the wheel it does make some improvements in key areas and I enjoyed my time with it.

Here's a few brief notes on what I enjoyed most about this title:
  • The (Xbox One) controller feedback was truly astounding. I haven't had that level pf precise feedback in any game outside of Forza Motorsport 6 and in some cases the trigger feel was even better than what I would get from a Forza title. F1 2016's was already good but the enhanced trigger feedback in 2017 was a welcome improvement. I drove with all assists off as I like to do in all racing games, and walking that tightrope where the rear tyres are just about to break traction never got old; catching slides was a lot easier too as they were more predictable.

• Last year I wished for some Classic F1 cars to be added to the game to give it a sense of variety and I was happy with this year's selection. The Ferrari F2004 was a dream to drive and the Red Bull RB6 is just how I remember it from F1 2010. Although I have more of an affinity for the 2000's era of cars some of the 90s were fun too, particularly the Williams FW14B. I also appreciate the fact that they were integrated into Public Multiplayer as they can make for some good battles.

• I liked the addition of the official F1 intro graphic before each session. When those streaks of light and came up combined with that buildup music I knew of from TV broadcasts I knew it was time to go racing.

There were however a few things I wasn't too pleased about; nothing game-breaking but just minor annoyances:
  • Some of the Achievements were a little too "grindy" this time round. I felt that last year's list got the balance just right and for the most part this year's is okay too. That being said there are some that require such long-term investment that they end up not being much fun if you've already gotten your fill of a particular game mode.

Another Lap is a particular outlier as not everyone enjoys Multiplayer enough to want to play it for 50+ hours. I think hitting Rank 25 was a reasonable target but 50 was a bit too much, just as it was in 2010.

On the Shoulders of Giants is a another where it made a game mode outstay its welcome. I understand that everybody has different tastes regarding Career length; some want to do all 10 seasons while others are happy with one. Personally 2 is enough for me, one to explore the game mode and another to go for Championship victory. This Achievement requires close to 6 seasons of play and by the end of Season 3 I was looking for ways to "blitz it" by dropping the session lengths and setting the AI to a lower level. I wasn't playing to race anymore, I was playing for points. On top of that I believe the Achievement discourages you from changing teams, as moving to a lower team would mean "wasting" research points as you could lose a whole bunch of upgrades. I think the Some Assembly Required Achievement was balanced just right.

• Some of the minor details of Career don't make much sense to me from an immersion standpoint. I don;t get how the team's entire R&D focus is placed on the second driver of the team. It would have been nice if there was some element of the upgrade process where the 1st driver's opinions (if you're 2nd driver) also mattered. Maybe the 1st driver could get new parts first, or a certain upgrade would be cheaper if the 1st driver also wanted that to be upgraded etc. Also, no matter how well I drove, I was never offered a 1st driver contract at a leading rival team even if I had won multiple championships. I didn't see any real incentive to move to Mercedes or Ferrari when I had developed Red Bull to be stronger and was still 1st driver.

• There were some graphical bugs that made things a little difficult at times, but your Technical Assistance forum is full of those so I don't feel the need to elaborate further.

Despite the enjoyment I got out of this game I am starting to get the feeling of "I've done all this before". That's understandable as it's an annualised licensed sports title but there were a few points where I felt I was just doing the same things as in F1 2016. Many of the Career Mode cutscenes, events and character models seem recycled from F1 2016 and the overall flow of gameplay hasn't changed much either. I may end up skipping F1 2018 because of this and coming back in 2019 when things feel fresh again.

Finally, some suggestions for F1 2018. I understand that not all of these are desired or possible but I figured I'd pop these into the virtual suggestion box anyway:

• More Classic F1 cars: I'd like to see some iconic cars that aren't necessarily from the big manufacturers. The 1999 Jordan, 2009 Brawn, 2001 Sauber, 1994 Benneton etc. Maybe even some odd-balls or cars from the 70s and early 80s as well.

• I'd like to see something like Formula 2 or previous seasons F1 cars added. Not only would this give us more cars to try out but could also be integrated into the Career Mode to encourage multi-season play.

• Photo mode on consoles.

• I think Career Mode needs something new, as being just the driver can get repetitive. Maybe have an alternate game mode where you're a manager or something.
That's about it from me, thanks for reading and for the hard work in making this year's game happen. It may not be a smash hit with everyone on this forum but I had fun, and I might stay around for some Public Multiplayer races when I'm in between other games
smile.png

I don't think F1 2017 was directly competing with Project CARS 2, it's too mass-market for that. It did release well ahead of Forza Motorsport 7 and Gran Turismo Sport however, far enough in advance for me to fully complete it before those 2 games arrive.

---

Also, I did a write-up over on the Codemasters forums, copying it below:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discu...y-thanks-to-codemasters-for-all-the-hard-work

Pcars2 might be more of a serious sim, but it's also a racing game with a very large offline career and a lot of open wheel content. I'd say there's quite a lot of obvious cross-over between the two titles, despite one having significantly more serious physics. Also, good job finishing the game so quickly, but I'd say you're probably the exception there, as not many of us have the time to play the game so much to finish it so quickly. I'd be lucky to have the time to do one race per night, for example.

I have been very disappointed with PCars2, and even though there have been loads of complaints about F12017 I thought what the hell, in for a penny in for a pound so I went ahead and purchased this on std PS4, and I’m loving it, no regrets whatsoever so far.
It’s a great step forward from the previous title unlike PCars2 which I think is a step backwards from the original.

I have been very disappointed with PCars2, and even though there have been loads of complaints about F12017 I thought what the hell, in for a penny in for a pound so I went ahead and purchased this on std PS4, and I’m loving it, no regrets whatsoever so far.
It’s a great step forward from the previous title unlike PCars2 which I think is a step backwards from the original.

This is encouraging. I haven't followed F1 for literally a decade and from what I've seen/read this game looks like it was worth picking up. Funny I purchased F1 2014 for the PS3 three years ago and never took it out of the box.

Between DiRT Rally, DiRT 4, GTSport, WRC7 and F1 2017 I'm going to be busy for a while. May even get PC2 once the price drops and the bugs are ironed out. And then there's RDR2, the PS4 release of L.A. Noire...and I want to get DiRT3 seeing I never played it.

Gaming can be a full time job!

Was it ever announced if liveries would be updated to what they were past (insert race here)?, I want to say something was said by Codemasters on that but I can't seem to get a straight answer from google. ("F1 2017" brings up so much clutter)
I'm sure I saw on Facebook or Twitter that these will be in the next update, when that update will come I have no idea.

Edit: Here is the post (look in the replies), coming "very soon":

Last edited:
So this is on sale via Games with Gold on Xbox Live through the weekend for 30% off.

I haven't really looked into any of the F1 games since...2013? From what I've seen of this one, it looks pretty solid.

What do you guys think, worth picking up for $45?

So this is on sale via Games with Gold on Xbox Live through the weekend for 30% off.

I haven't really looked into any of the F1 games since...2013? From what I've seen of this one, it looks pretty solid.

What do you guys think, worth picking up for $45?

If you're interested in the career mode, then definitely. Career mode in the 2017 game is great, in my opinion.

Online can be hit or miss at times.

Lift and coast slightly around the apex of high speed corners, where the tyres will be at their peak loading. On most circuits you can drive fairly normally everywhere except a handful of the most heavily loaded corners, and you should still pass the tyre management test.

Edit: On Bahrain I was able to drive a normal lap except the 3 most heavily loaded corners, in which I'd lift and coast around the apex, the metre would make a massive jump into the purple each time, and I passed the test. This was with a controller, and I suck with the controller (Long time wheel player waiting on a new wheel).

Sometimes it is impossible to pass it with a controller. At Silverstone it immediately went into the far red by just going flat-out into T1. It was just impossible to pass the tyre test while still having a green delta. For gamepad users, the tyre test is just too harsh unless you are in wet weather conditions.

I am having a strange issue where the game is behaving like it's trying to take over my car input. It'll just ignore my steering input, or only allow half lock. And it only does it at a select few corners. It's reacting as if a steering assist is trying to interfere.

Really annoying when you're going through Becketts and suddenly the car just goes straight.

Sometimes it is impossible to pass it with a controller. At Silverstone it immediately went into the far red by just going flat-out into T1. It was just impossible to pass the tyre test while still having a green delta. For gamepad users, the tyre test is just too harsh unless you are in wet weather conditions.

I am having a strange issue where the game is behaving like it's trying to take over my car input. It'll just ignore my steering input, or only allow half lock. And it only does it at a select few corners. It's reacting as if a steering assist is trying to interfere.

Really annoying when you're going through Becketts and suddenly the car just goes straight.

You can't turn off the steering assists for pads unfortunately, and it's these assists that prevent pad users from being fast enough through some corners, which makes it very hard to pass some tests. But to be fair, even with a wheel it can be tricky to pass some tests if you're driving for a bottom team and can't find a good setup compromise for that specific track.

Monaco with a pad isn't even worth playing IMO. I skipped it when I did a bit of a career while I waited for my new wheel to be delivered.

You can't turn off the steering assists for pads unfortunately, and it's these assists that prevent pad users from being fast enough through some corners, which makes it very hard to pass some tests. But to be fair, even with a wheel it can be tricky to pass some tests if you're driving for a bottom team and can't find a good setup compromise for that specific track.

Monaco with a pad isn't even worth playing IMO. I skipped it when I did a bit of a career while I waited for my new wheel to be delivered.

This is the strange thing, though. In the previous race, it wasn't there. Neither in the FP sessions at Silverstone.
Monaco was indeed hell with the pad. And I swear at Baku it was there during FP1, but disappeared for the rest of the sessions...

This is the strange thing, though. In the previous race, it wasn't there. Neither in the FP sessions at Silverstone.
Monaco was indeed hell with the pad. And I swear at Baku it was there during FP1, but disappeared for the rest of the sessions...

Dunno mate, for me Baku was a nightmare with the pad, trying to get through sector 2 especially. Although, as I've said before many times, I'm not very good at racing with a pad these days.

Edit. I will say this though: To anybody on the fence about buying a new wheel, F1 2017 is fantastic with a wheel. By far the best F1 game with a wheel ever, and I include cult favourites like Challenge '99 - '02 in that. After playing most of a season in career with the pad (got to USA), and then starting again when I got my CSL-E, the game feels completely different with a wheel. By a long way the most realistic F1 game to come from Codies.

Dunno mate, for me Baku was a nightmare with the pad, trying to get through sector 2 especially. Although, as I've said before many times, I'm not very good at racing with a pad these days.

Edit. I will say this though: To anybody on the fence about buying a new wheel, F1 2017 is fantastic with a wheel. By far the best F1 game with a wheel ever, and I include cult favourites like Challenge '99 - '02 in that. After playing most of a season in career with the pad (got to USA), and then starting again when I got my CSL-E, the game feels completely different with a wheel. By a long way the most realistic F1 game to come from Codies.

I now think my controller is just broken, I've had it just a year or so. It's a Trust GXT545.
When I go into the controller scheme menu and press the left joystick to the left and rear, the input % below on screen will jump anywhere between 0-100. So it's not registering 100% input at all times.

Ugh... Shouldn't have sold my T300 wheel...

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/how-did-a-f2002-mod-from-ac-end-up-in-f1-2017.142884/

I modeled the F2002 for an Assetto Corsa mod that was released on Jan 22 2016.
Fast forward to May 17 2017 Codemasters announces classic car content to go with their F1 2017 Game. Now watching the trailer for this my eyes are drawn to, you guessed it the F2002! However it looks all too familiar here. I can see the choices the modeler made to represent the object they were trying to recreate. In fact they made eerily similar choices I did throughout the entire car. I got a sense of déjà vu. Now I didn't want to believe my work was stolen because Codemasters is a well renowned video game developer. They have people to model these things for them right? or at the very least they could ask permission right? Non of those things happened and the game was released on August 25 2017.
Fast forward to the F2002 Assetto Corsa mod where I wanted to update but strangely I come across an Artstation page containing some assets for the F1 2017 game. One of those assets was you guessed it the F2002. Now looking at the wireframe was a dead giveaway that it was indeed my model F2002 that I worked on for months.

matt-jones-f2002-006-jpg.218742

f2002_ac_001-jpg.218743

More comparison pictures were posted by others (blue is F1 2017, red is the AC mod) :

gXElrPG.png

3dpQPFa.png

Then the artist who modelled the F1 2017 car replied to him, confirmed that he did use his mod as a "reference":

f2002_my_007-jpg.218873

But you can clearly see from the comparisons that he blatantly copied the mod. Codemasters, what are you doing?

Small update on my career:

I'm nearing the end, currently at the Japan round. I went ahead and got myself a T300RS again. The game is indeed a completely different experience with a wheel.
Anyway, I'm currently racing at 85% difficulty, and I find myself fighting for points, or finishing just outside of the points at every race. I've spent way too much resources on parts that have failed, so with this difficulty I hope to score a seat at Renault. I'd like to perform a soft-reset to my career at Renault, where I'll bump up the difficulty to 110%, and work on infrastructure during season 2. (wind tunnel and engineering infrastructure upgrades) Whatever there is left to spend during season 2 will be spent on reliability. This way, I hope to start upgrading the car during season 3, so I can bring a fast car to the party during season 4.

That's kind of my plan, to bring Renault back to the top. First I've to manage to get at Renault, as I'm currently only getting Haas rivals, and the most interested teams are Sauber, Williams, and Toro Rosso...

Small update on my career:

I'm nearing the end, currently at the Japan round. I went ahead and got myself a T300RS again. The game is indeed a completely different experience with a wheel.
Anyway, I'm currently racing at 85% difficulty, and I find myself fighting for points, or finishing just outside of the points at every race. I've spent way too much resources on parts that have failed, so with this difficulty I hope to score a seat at Renault. I'd like to perform a soft-reset to my career at Renault, where I'll bump up the difficulty to 110%, and work on infrastructure during season 2. (wind tunnel and engineering infrastructure upgrades) Whatever there is left to spend during season 2 will be spent on reliability. This way, I hope to start upgrading the car during season 3, so I can bring a fast car to the party during season 4.

That's kind of my plan, to bring Renault back to the top. First I've to manage to get at Renault, as I'm currently only getting Haas rivals, and the most interested teams are Sauber, Williams, and Toro Rosso...

Similar to what I was planning with Haas. I started on 100%, but started winning races in the first half of the season, so I upped it to 110%, and it's a good challenge now. Some races I would still demolish Grosjean in quali, but sometimes he was close (within a few tenths), and at a couple of circuits he actually out-qualified me, which was a nice change.

Anyway, my plan initially was to focus on reliability and infrastructure for season one. After the first few races I saw how badly my PU components and gearbox were wearing, so I decided to initially focus heavily on reliability. I did a lot of reliability updates in the first half of the season, bringing the Haas to a really good place in terms of PU and gearbox wear. Then I switched my focus to improving the infrastructure, to ready the team for a serious challenge in seasons 2 and 3. I started with the aero department, working on improving the wind tunnel and QA procedures. The aim was obviously to do all of these before actually doing any updates to the car. This way, I would pay half for every aero update, and have a very low chance of parts failing. The reason I adopted this approach was because during my first season with the pad I did a front wing update and it failed, costing me an extra 500 points and a couple of extra weeks. I decided it was in my best interest to reduce these risks and costs as much as possible before focusing heavily on car development.

However, I wound up leaving Haas after season 1, as I was offered contracts with Ferrari, RBR, and Mercedes. I chose to go to Ferrari, who had offered me first driver status right away amazingly. I've done my first race with them, taking my first grand slam in my first race with the team (pole, win, fastest lap, lead every lap). I'm going to do the same thing at Ferrari which I was doing at Haas, so Ferrari may drop behind this season in development, but next season we should have everything in place to start a rapid update pace. :)

The Japanese GP always rocks up a big incident at the 130R - my race was fully wet throughout - on lap 1 Bottas lost it as he touched Hulkenberg,spinning into a hoarding and was facing the wrong way,Alonso smashed into him and i narrowly avoided Alonso as he went into pits straight after with wing damage!

I then noticed both Bottas & Hulkenberg retired around the 130R,so was that revenge happening haha?! Also championship leader Raikonnen lost it on there and finished outside the top 10 - still being mightily impressed by this game!

Where do you adjust your FOV in order to see your side mirrors? Is it the camera angle in options? If you change it there does it adjust it for every other car? Because I can see the mirrors on the Red Bull fine but can't see them on the Ferrari. If I move the camera back for the Ferrari I don't want it to be too far back for the Red Bull, etc.

Where do you adjust your FOV in order to see your side mirrors? Is it the camera angle in options? If you change it there does it adjust it for every other car? Because I can see the mirrors on the Red Bull fine but can't see them on the Ferrari. If I move the camera back for the Ferrari I don't want it to be too far back for the Red Bull, etc.

I think it does move it for every car, but some cars mirrors are just in crap places for visibility. Personally, I'd rather have a closer FOV so it feels more natural, than having a far away FOV so that I can see the mirrors. I just use the look behind button when I need to look back.

Can confirm it moves it overall, the thing is each car has little differences in the cockpit, I have it set-up fine for the Haas, but if I drive the Ferrari or anything else, I either see less of the mirrors or less of the display on the wheel, etc. If you hop-around between cars you'll have to keep adjusting it or find a happy middle-ground, I don't think it can be done per car.

v1.10 fixed that lapped-cars passing you under SC issue, so glad that's fixed, had it happen in China & Malaysia, thank-god it didn't rear it's head at Monza today.

Latest Posts

Back