F1 2019 Will Feature Microtransactions — Including Items Only Available Via Cash

Since I’m the first to post I’ll be the first to say it...

They can shove the micro transactions where the sun don’t shine.

I’m really against all this and if it turns out that it is used for anything other than customisation, I’ll be an unhappy bunny! Stop making things specifically for cash purchases dammit! No everyone who scrapes to even buy the game, can afford to pay for this stuff. It puts a fair amount of users at a disadvantage!

Its bad enough they give you 2/3 of a game and then want you to pay extra for the rest capitalism is the worst... Sticking with F1 2018 after hearing this... I used to buy codies games for £2.99 the good old days lol

Something about nails and coffins I feel.

I’m so done with the way microtransactions evolve. I probably will never use them, but it still bothers me when I buy a game and can’t acces the full potential without spending extra money on a game.

Maybe I’m just getting old, I don’t know. Whatever it is I just don’t feel excited to buy a game like I used to anymore, because of the fact I’m not buying the entire game. And that gives me a sad feeling.

Why I won’t buy Dirt 2 - load is crap. It getting the full game and having to buy add ons all the time to get the full experience - it’s a rort

Exactly the same for me. When DiRT Rally 2.0 was announced I was very excited, but then opted to not invest in the game when I saw how little content the base game had compared to the Deluxe version. Seemed to me that they were intentionally pushing for the Deluxe option just to get access to what should have been in the base game.

I did opt to get the Legends Edition of F1 2019 as I usually invest a lot of time in the game each year, but after reading this I really have a horrible feeling in my stomach that I’m going to be short changed and very underwhelmed.

I do feel a lot of it has to do with the investors having a major influence in the business side of things to maximise profits. But I will never support micro-transactions in games ever, and if this is the way Codemasters plan on going forward then I genuinely worry for their future.

Why I won’t buy Dirt 2 - load is crap. It getting the full game and having to buy add ons all the time to get the full experience - it’s a rort
Its actually worse than that. More than half of the DLC are actually contents from previous DIRT (Including first Dirt Rally), pulled out from said game then putting it back in 2.0 but for a fee.

To those only reading the headline, it's just for visual customisation bits and pieces. Nothing major.
Still a cash only items with no means of obtain in game at all is just straight up reeks greed.

If Codemasters really wants more money they could've set up Patreon or something, not something that lowers the trust for the customers.

Last edited:
Microtransactions. If the repeat content from the DR2.0 DLC cycle didn't tell you, Codemasters don't care about their customers. I can't wait for what they're going to do for Grid to make decisions people are definitely not going to be happy with.

Anyone remember the days when you bought a game and that was that for shelling money out?!?! My first 'sim' with a wheel was Microprose's Grand Prix 2 and then stuff like Indycar and Nascar and into the giddy heights of Grand Prix Legends and beyond. I don't remember DLC really hitting the scene until Codemasters tried it with rally games.

What I used to love about the PC was the mod scene but I guess as mods now mean money, games will get more locked down.

At least GTS still gives you option to grind if you really have to or lucky dip. This said I almost bought a car last night as I had an urge for a GT40.

The triple A gaming industry has been going down the path of monetizing everything for years, it's just a matter of time before the more niche genres like racing do the same. I don't feel like this is a surprising move at all, especially from Codemasters in particular. There will be more microtransactions like this in the future.

As long as it's not pay to win then I'm not totally against it, but I still think it's a dirty tactic either way. Then again we live in an age where people will spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars dressing up their Fortnite character.

Last edited:
They need get more money some how keep up with this type license game, selling base game is not enough especially when you try keep License and try have senna era vs Prost comeback next year if they could afford it again lol

I have to agree with @MagpieRacer and @MikeV27 here. This is the way the industry is going and cosmetic-only items for cash only are fine for me, I couldn’t care less about them.

Also, at least it’s communicated before the game comes out, they're upfront about it. There are a bunch of other games where the players would be super happy if only cosmetic items would be sold for money, such avenue to additional revenue as pursued by the Codies is perfectly fine. (and yeah, just look at Fortnite and the money people spend there, no wonder other developers want a slice of the pie)

The dollar has lost 50% of its purchasing power over the past 30 years. 30 years ago games cost $60. Today they cost $60.

The MSRP of a 1990 Honda Civic was $10,000. The MSRP of a 2019 Honda Civic is $20,000.

Development costs are way higher than 30 years ago with how complex games have become. So I do understand the plethora of DLC lately. Perhaps the most popular games are able to absorb the higher costs given that they sell millions of copies and are usually full of microtransactions.

I think it's time for the gaming industry to get together and agree on a new base price, say $80, and drop all this DLC crap that just angers everyone and splits the playerbase online. They end up charging $80 to $120 once you add in all that extra crap, anyway.

@TheHun99 - Fortnite is free-to-play. This is asking for more money after you've already bought the base game. Very different.

@Pfei - That doesn't justify the Fifa ultimate team loot boxes. EA doesn't 'need' that income, it 'wants' it. Sure, the shareholders are looking at trying to get all the money, but at some point the bubble will burst.
Your idea about a new, fixed pricing system - just because they're already charging at least $80 doesn't mean that they have to or need to.

Forza 7 was heavily criticized by people for featuring prize crates, even though it never cost its players to pay real money. The crates contained nothing but mods, driver gear, etc., with nothing special put in them.

Because of the backlash, however, it led T10 to promising to never, EVER, feature microtransactions in their games again (including PG).

Nuff said. I'm not going to justify this developer's tactic. It will only make me sound like a hypocrite.

That's not the point. The issue is the game you buy not being the whole game. Even if they're only cosmetic, you've still paid for the base game (around £50-60 nowadays), only to be asked if you want to then spend even more money.
What makes it worse is the fact that this game is a yearly release. Would be more justifiable if it was 3 or 4 year cycle release.

What makes it worse is the fact that this game is a yearly release. Would be more justifiable if it was 3 or 4 year cycle release.
Or atleast carry said purchases throughout the game series. Just like the Ultimate Team in FIFA, for better or worse.

To those only reading the headline, it's just for visual customisation bits and pieces. Nothing major.

As if that distinction makes it better?

Forza 7 was heavily criticized by people for featuring prize crates, even though it never cost its players to pay real money. The crates contained nothing but mods, driver gear, etc., with nothing special put in them.

Because of the backlash, however, it led T10 to promising to never, EVER, feature microtransactions in their games again (including PG).

I wish I had your optimism. Instead, this is just another side of the true Codemasters that some have already been wise to.

@TheHun99 - Fortnite is free-to-play. This is asking for more money after you've already bought the base game. Very different.

True, different business models - however, I still stand by my statement. I don't care if they charge for some cosmetics extra money. When it comes to F1 2019, one would assume that the official liveries are part of the base game. Not being a big customizer (sorry for the bad English, I hope you understand what I mean), I don't care about additional liveries or cosmetics. I understand if that doesn't fly with everyone though.

#mepersonally
(Copyright: Marshall Pruett Podcast)

Just think if the one bill that says that games shouldn't include "loot boxes" and "microtransactions" get passed.
Then a whole big difference happens.
Either A, they'll need to include everything in the game or B, rise the game prices to have the included items.

Back