F1 2020 General Discussion Thread

Silver_Wolf

Nice! Let's do it again when you level up!
Premium
Scotland
Dundee, Scotland
So I noticed we don't have a general discussion thread yet for F1 2020 so I thought I would start it since the deluxe Michael Schumacher edition of the game is available now from 7 July 2020 and the general release on 10 July 2020.

Apologies @Famine if you were planning to open this article with the general release on Friday but please add any GTP article link when it's up!

I haven't actually received my copy of the Schumacher edition yet as the postal service is still to deliver but I hope it's here when I get home this evening!

Hearing very good things about the game and overall reviews have scored it very highly and from what I've seen in the video thread/photo thread's the quality looks excellent.

Please feel free to make any general discussion about the game here!

I got the Schumacher Deluxe Edition yesterday and played some hours on my ps4 slim and it really does look very good and runs smoothly, the loading times were relatively short (especially when you just jump from one track to another while in the garage).
Hanoi feels surprisingly very fast and most importantly fun. Is the 2nd sector fake straight one of the longest in F1?
It's a shame that there is no German GP on the calendar. Since this year's deluxe edition pays homage to Schumacher, it would be nice if Codemasters added Nürburgring at least as a DLC later.

Attachments

• 20200708_110410.jpg
    20200708_110410.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 27
It's a shame that there is no German GP on the calendar. Since this year's deluxe edition pays homage to Schumacher, it would be nice if Codemasters added Nürburgring at least as a DLC later.

Can't see that happening unfortunately since it's an officially licence game with the tracks from the 2020 Season and Teams but if Germany gets added to the real calendar you never know 👍.

Can't see that happening unfortunately since it's an officially licence game with the tracks from the 2020 Season and Teams but if Germany gets added to the real calendar you never know 👍.
Yeah, that makes sense. But I'll keep my fingers crossed since Codemasters has added classic circuits to F1 in the past.

Yeah, that makes sense. But I'll keep my fingers crossed since Codemasters has added classic circuits to F1 in the past.

Not added they haven't. F1 2013 launched with Brands Hatch, Estoril, Imola and Jerez. None have featured since and classic tracks have never been added post launch.

The only slim possibility for any additional circuits this year would be if Hockenheim gets added to the 2020 calendar, that circuit featured in the 2019 game so wouldn't require much tweaking to get into 2020. Any other 2020 additions in real life also won't make the game due to the time constraints in building circuits for an annual release series.

Not added they haven't. F1 2013 launched with Brands Hatch, Estoril, Imola and Jerez. None have featured since and classic tracks have never been added post launch.

The only slim possibility for any additional circuits this year would be if Hockenheim gets added to the 2020 calendar, that circuit featured in the 2019 game so wouldn't require much tweaking to get into 2020. Any other 2020 additions in real life also won't make the game due to the time constraints in building circuits for an annual release series.
That really sucks. Coincidentally, F1 2013 was the last F1 game that I had bought before F1 2020.
I wanted to cite 2013 as example but I thought that they had continued with this feature.

I feel its what the classics really need to make their returns worthwhile. Be cool if they did one circuit from each era the classic cars represent.

Late 80s - Adelaide
Early 90s - Imola
Late 90s - Buenos Aires
Early 00s - Magny-Cours
Late 00s - Sepang

Maybe even just adding a historic variant of some of the current circuits would be easier and again add a bit more worth to the classic cars.

Late 80s - Mexico (more flowing, no run off, banked final turn)
Early 90s - Spa-Francorchamps (less run off, more barriers, faster bus stop chicane)
Late 90s - Hockenheim (ultra high speed)
Early 00s - Silverstone (aka the real Silverstone)
Late 00s - Catalunya? (Pre chicane and less run offs)

Otherwise for me the classics run the risk if just being a token feature that they now can't get rid of. The invitational don't do enough with them and I think with the championship mode and custom races/championships theres a missed opportunity there.

Otherwise for me the classics run the risk if just being a token feature that they now can't get rid of. The invitational don't do enough with them and I think with the championship mode and custom races/championships theres a missed opportunity there.

Here's a suggestion - maybe they could make a separate classic race championship for those cars to recreate some earlier seasons of F1 rather than just using them for invitational events?

One thing I do like about Gran Turismo is how all new content at least has some use in the game rather than just being as you say 'token' content.

That said I had the most fun in 2019 racing lobbies with friends using the DLC cars and I wouldn't say no to them adding some classic circuits but I think it's fair to say that is now the niche of other games like Project Cars and Gran Turismo rather than F1.

Here's a suggestion - maybe they could make a separate classic race championship for those cars to recreate some earlier seasons of F1 rather than just using them for invitational events?

One thing I do like about Gran Turismo is how all new content at least has some use in the game rather than just being as you say 'token' content.

That said I had the most fun in 2019 racing lobbies with friends using the DLC cars and I wouldn't say no to them adding some classic circuits but I think it's fair to say that is now the niche of other games like Project Cars and Gran Turismo rather than F1.

You can do custom classic championships. Uses a class based system or you can do single class or spec racing.

You can do custom classic championships. Uses a class based system or you can do single class or spec racing.

Yes I was aware of that was just suggesting it in the terms of 1P against the AI rather than other players but then I keep forgetting (correct if wrong) that you can add AI cars to custom championships as well so fair point.

Yes I was aware of that was just suggesting it in the terms of 1P against the AI rather than other players but then I keep forgetting (correct if wrong) that you can add AI cars to custom championships as well so fair point.

Yeah I'm talking about all offline modes. I'd prefer a few extra custom options like specifying which cars to use as it can be a bit of a field spread otherwise. I'd like to just choose the 3 2010 cars for example or just the 1995/1996 cars.

Are there f2 cars again? I won't be buying for another couple weeks probably. Looking forward to the My Team but I had the most fun on 2019 in the F2 championship.

Are there f2 cars again? I won't be buying for another couple weeks probably. Looking forward to the My Team but I had the most fun on 2019 in the F2 championship.

Yeah full 2019 roster with the 2020 car and drivers to be added later.

I picked this up and got a 10% discount plus some Steam bonus discount. Not bad.

When I fired it up I was quickly reminded again that apparently nobody in the Codemasters staff has heard of a PC peripheral called a mouse...
8nfCOHT.gif

Oh well, once I got everything dialled in this felt pretty good I have to say. At first I didn't understand why I had to twist my arms into a knot in every turn. I had forgotten to set my wheel to 360° in the wheel drivers. Once I got that and the wheel damper sorted (which has to be set very low) I was happy with the handling. Could feel oversteer and react to it pretty quickly. It was most rewarding when I turned all assists off though. That's when it really came alive.
Gonna have a lot of fun with this one. 👍

patch v1.02 is now live for Xbox users. 16gb update. No patch notes sadly as they don't seem to supply them for what woukd have been a day 1 patch. V1.03 will follow quickly, they just wanted to get 1.02 out ASAP, clearly has the most fixes.

Podium Pass is also back online but there's still an issue for those who got the Schumacher edition where the 15000 pitcoin haven't landed yet.

I downloaded my Schumacher premium edition last night but it was so late I only ran a quick race at Austria. I'm not going to do a career or the My Team thing. I'll only do partial race weekends and half distance races. But I do have some opening questions.

When you're in the garage and you're looking at the info screen, you've got tire selection on the left and the next "tab" over is car setup. But if I use the paddle shifter to scroll across, it's just moving across that top line of icons, timing sheet, live feed, etc. How do you get into the car setup? The D-pad didn't do anything either.

In the race the engineer will tell you that you need to burn off some of the battery and I can see on the gauge that it's full or stays nearly full the entire lap and "OVERTAKE" is on the screen. I'm assuming this is the ERS system? Just doing this initial run the DRS automatically deploys. In order to deploy that ERS energy do I need to set it to manual and would it really make that much of a difference?

This is the first F1 game I've bought since F1 2017 and I wanted to try full halo right out of the box. It's not as bad as I thought it would be but a car can sort of hide in that middle support especially at a little distance.

Has anyone else fallen foul of the compounds glitch yet? I lost a possible 10th place finish in a 50% length Vietnamese GP in My Team mode thanks to that. :banghead:
When you're in the garage and you're looking at the info screen, you've got tire selection on the left and the next "tab" over is car setup. But if I use the paddle shifter to scroll across, it's just moving across that top line of icons, timing sheet, live feed, etc. How do you get into the car setup? The D-pad didn't do anything either.
You need to use L2/R2 to navigate those sub-tabs, and R3 to enter the setup menu.
In the race the engineer will tell you that you need to burn off some of the battery and I can see on the gauge that it's full or stays nearly full the entire lap and "OVERTAKE" is on the screen. I'm assuming this is the ERS system? Just doing this initial run the DRS automatically deploys. In order to deploy that ERS energy do I need to set it to manual and would it really make that much of a difference?
Yes, that's the ERS. Your best bet is to switch to Overtake when exiting low-speed corners and then switch back to Medium deployment at around 150-160mph because then you're just wasting your battery at that point.

DK
You need to use L2/R2 to navigate those sub-tabs, and R3 to enter the setup menu.

Yes, that's the ERS. Your best bet is to switch to Overtake when exiting low-speed corners and then switch back to Medium deployment at around 150-160mph because then you're just wasting your battery at that point.

I'm on a wheel, are those controller buttons you're referring to?

Does ERS need to be set to manual to use it? It looks like in a couple of videos I've seen that button has to be mapped.

I'm on a wheel, are those controller buttons you're referring to?

Does ERS need to be set to manual to use it? It looks like in a couple of videos I've seen that button has to be mapped.

on my PS4, I have to use the touchpad to go to setup menu, while l2 and r2 cycle the other sub menus

and yes I think you need to have ers set to manual to manually trigger the overtake mode

Here are my settings for the G29. They are pretty much the same as the last game for me. There is still a bit of clipping but I like these settings for now.

FFB Strength: 65
On track: 15
Rumble strip: 9
Off track: 10
Wheel damper: 5
Understeer Enhance: On
Rotation: 360

mfd shortcuts and other controls
Fuel mix increase/decrease: L2/L3
Brake bias: the red dial
Ers increase/decrease: the +/- buttons

Replay/flashback: R2
MFD: R3
DRS: triangle
Pit limiter: X
Radio: square
Overtake: circle
Push to talk: enter button within red dial

I bought that game last night from Steam, but I got some issue about typing in. When I tried to log in the race net or type new driver’s name, my keyboard could not type in any letters. When I changed to the joystick, also the same problem and do not have virtual keyboard pop up.

Anyone know how to solve this problem? Many thanks!

Guys, I'm undecided whether I should get the game or not. Don't have much time these days as a young father and busy man. Can I do a My team career without all the Free Practice and still get a way to improve the car ? I was doing all FPs in the past , but it's just too time consuming and not so much fun.

Guys, I'm undecided whether I should get the game or not. Don't have much time these days as a young father and busy man. Can I do a My team career without all the Free Practice and still get a way to improve the car ? I was doing all FPs in the past , but it's just too time consuming and not so much fun.

I simulate most of my practice sessions and I’ve been able to upgrade parts just fine. Keep in mind that, as a team owner, you can generate revenue through sponsorship and other means, which you can then use to upgrade your facilities. One of the perks allows you to passively generate weekly resource points

I simulate most of my practice sessions and I’ve been able to upgrade parts just fine. Keep in mind that, as a team owner, you can generate revenue through sponsorship and other means, which you can then use to upgrade your facilities. One of the perks allows you to passively generate weekly resource points

Sweet! Will go for the Schumi edition then ! I'm quite a fan of Motorspot Manager 3 , happy to see this new mode in F1 2020 which looks (weirdly) very similar.

Well the internet being dead at home for the past day killed my chance to comment but I got my copy of the game on Wednesday and the install of the game and patch update was pretty quick.

I see there is still the issue of some low quality/sound audio when it plays the opening intro and the F1 theme not quite sure why this is but the main game sound/music is all fine.

Overall I was very impressed and surprised about the Pit Coin reward for starting the game, TBH I am a bit mixed views about how I feel about that aspect of the game because I don't really understand the whole Podium Pass thing, I guess I should get it since if I understand correctly we'll get enough Pit Coin from the season to do the next one and so forth?

Liveries for the Michael Schumacher edition content and the DLC cars all look excellent and I will be spending quite a few hours using those!

As far as the game itself goes I started My Team and called my team Tornado Tails! :cheers: using an orange and blue livery to represent Sonic & Tails.

Done My Team car unveil and raced in the Practice session for Australia and in Free Practice 1 I came 14th whilst doing my R&D developments/track program and then in Free Practice 2 I pulled a surprise on the paddock and set the 3rd highest time in the session, my team mate by comparison came last which I guess would be expected for the "11th team".

Since internet was off yesterday I didn't get a chance to continue but I shall be back at it tonight and seeing how the final practice session/qualifying/race go.

Overall this is very good though and probably the best looking in the series so far, will share some pics of my first race in the photo gallery over the weekend.

Back