F1 2020 General Discussion Thread

The DRS icon turns green when DRS is active. When it is available and not active, the icon is orange.

If you start a practice session, start the track acclimatisation program from the garage. DRS zones are indicated by a highlighted banner across the track, alongside the white line and signage @slthree

Last edited:
I forgot about the other hud indicators as I drive in cockpit view with minimal hud.

I also forgot to mention that with cockpit cam-the steering wheel usually has extra lights. One that comes on when DRS is available, and another that comes on when you activate it (press the button).

I'm now several races in to career mode, and have noticed the game has fallen into the same trap the older games had whereby the AI never collide or make any mistakes. Every race has had two mechanical retirements and that's it, which I guess is an improvement over none at all in games like F1 2011. The odd first-lap crash here and there would be nice.

I'm now several races in to career mode, and have noticed the game has fallen into the same trap the older games had whereby the AI never collide or make any mistakes. Every race has had two mechanical retirements and that's it, which I guess is an improvement over none at all in games like F1 2011. The odd first-lap crash here and there would be nice.

There are sometimes first lap incidents but it depends on the AI difficulty level you set at the start of the race, I think if it's lower the AI are more likely to be making mistakes but the higher you set it the less likely it is to happen.

For me this is the big turn off of F1 video games, the AI is too tough for me on the higher difficulty settings (have to play at 50 or less) and as you say the pattern is entirely predictable for what will happen in a race.

Not planning to buy F1 2021 as a result unless I hear things have improved in the AI/driver transfer/incidents department, I did two seasons of the game which is longest I've stuck with the game but have no plans to ever finish so probably never be champion.

There are sometimes first lap incidents but it depends on the AI difficulty level you set at the start of the race, I think if it's lower the AI are more likely to be making mistakes but the higher you set it the less likely it is to happen.

For me this is the big turn off of F1 video games, the AI is too tough for me on the higher difficulty settings (have to play at 50 or less) and as you say the pattern is entirely predictable for what will happen in a race.

Not planning to buy F1 2021 as a result unless I hear things have improved in the AI/driver transfer/incidents department, I did two seasons of the game which is longest I've stuck with the game but have no plans to ever finish so probably never be champion.

I have the AI at 100 and do full-length races. The realistic AI mods for games like 2012 certainly helped, however it went a bit too far as there would frequently be 8 or 9 retirements a race, usually from engine failures, which never happened to me, which made reaching your target finishing position far too easy. F1: CE had a reasonably good balance, which was helped the fact that if you broke down or crashed there were no flashbacks to bring you back in to the race. However the big issue that game had that almost every other game also has is the complete inability of the AI to commit to overtaking manoeuvres, and their obsession with getting in your way on practice and qualifying runs.

Well my F1 experiences have been on 'pause' since November when I got my PS5 due to me getting the digital version and having disc
copies of the F1 games meant I couldn't play.

Thanks to the spring sale having 75% off F1 2020, F1 2019 and F1 2018 digitally they are now back in my collection and playable on PS5 so just have to copy my 'saves' across from the PS4 to resume my championship careers.

Interested to see if I do better on higher difficultly AI using the PS5 controller as my times in other games seem to be better thanks to the controller
response feedback, might start sharing my season in coming days after some practice.

Just picked up F1 2020 Schumacher edition in the sale on my X1X. Although I still haven't gotten round to playing F1 2019 on my PS4 yet... :lol:

Too good a price currently to resist though... and the F1 games are not found in every sale, unlike say the Assassins Creed games and The Crew 2!

Plan to do 2019 first, then 2020 after.
Don't hold your breath though! Will be interesting to compare graphics between the 2 consoles 👍

Yesterday I bought F1 2020, had a go at Monaco on a F2 2019, when I got to Mirabeau, the car was undriveable*, I don't know, it just didn't turn, it's not even understeer, or maybe it is? I use a Dualshock 4, stock setups, PS4. Any suggestions?

*Ok, I was racing as Jordan King, could be an explanation, but I don't think so.

Yesterday I bought F1 2020, had a go at Monaco on a F2 2019, when I got to Mirabeau, the car was undriveable*, I don't know, it just didn't turn, it's not even understeer, or maybe it is? I use a Dualshock 4, stock setups, PS4. Any suggestions?

*Ok, I was racing as Jordan King, could be an explanation, but I don't think so.
To start, I would pick the highest downforce default setup then update these areas and give it a go (if possible. I haven't driven the F2 cars. Only the F1 cars).
  • Set front camber to lowest setting
  • Set rear camber to highest setting
  • Set front toe out to highest setting
  • Set rear toe in to lowest setting
  • Ensure the front suspension (springs and roll bars) are lower than rear (If you go too low, the car will understeer at low speed. Plus it'll lose initial response going through the faster sections of the track, then it'll begin to oversteer)
  • Add more brake bias towards the rear by a percent or two
  • Ensure tire temperature is within the working range (94-104*C)

Last edited:
To start, I would pick the highest downforce default setup then update these areas and give it a go (if possible. I haven't driven the F2 cars. Only the F1 cars).
  • Set front camber to lowest setting
  • Set rear camber to highest setting
  • Set front toe out to highest setting
  • Set rear toe in to lowest setting
  • Ensure the front suspension (springs and roll bars) are lower than rear (If you go too low, the car will understeer at low speed. Plus it'll lose initial response going through the faster sections of the track, then it'll begin to oversteer)
  • Add more brake bias towards the rear by a percent or two
  • Ensure tire temperature is within the working range (94-104*C)

Thanks. Hope Bubba wins today at Talladega! 👍

Hi there, I've never played a F1 game but I'm interested in trying it as I would like to learn more about driving open wheelers and want to learn the F1 tracks as well. I tried the F1 2020 demo and there seemed to be a lot of focus on the whole management side of things. After about an hour I still hadn't even driven a single second and I gave up. Is there a way to do a championship without the hassle of management? I do enjoy tuning a car though but that's usually five minutes of fiddling and 15 minutes of testdriving and I think that's a reasonable balance.

Hi there, I've never played a F1 game but I'm interested in trying it as I would like to learn more about driving open wheelers and want to learn the F1 tracks as well. I tried the F1 2020 demo and there seemed to be a lot of focus on the whole management side of things. After about an hour I still hadn't even driven a single second and I gave up. Is there a way to do a championship without the hassle of management? I do enjoy tuning a car though but that's usually five minutes of fiddling and 15 minutes of testdriving and I think that's a reasonable balance.
You can jump straight into single races, championship races or even timed trial events without any need of management.

The career modes (yes multiple) offer more in-depth management aswell as practice, qualifying and races.

You can jump straight into single races, championship races or even timed trial events without any need of management.

The career modes (yes multiple) offer more in-depth management aswell as practice, qualifying and races.

Thanks, that sounds great. And is there a big difference between 2019 and 2020? Obviously 2019 is cheaper so if there aren't any major gameplay changes I might get that instead of 2020 :)

Thanks, that sounds great. And is there a big difference between 2019 and 2020? Obviously 2019 is cheaper so if there aren't any major gameplay changes I might get that instead of 2020 :)
2020 have the MyTeam career mode where you can make your own team and manage it.

It also have a quite good reward system for in-game items.

I would go 2020 over 2019 any day.

Unfortunately you've just missed the Easter sale where 2020 was below £20 on Xbox (and PS4 I think?).

They did the same with 2019 last Easter, which was when I picked it up.

Not sure whether they might reduce 2020 again when the new game comes out in July? Did this happen to 2019 last year, anyone?

Unfortunately you've just missed the Easter sale where 2020 was below £20 on Xbox (and PS4 I think?).

Not sure whether they might reduce 2020 again when the new game comes out in July? Did this happen to 2019 last year, anyone?

Now he knows... :lol:

Thanks but I didnt miss it. It was the reason I downloaded the demo but I decided not to bite because of the convoluted carreer mode.

But I'm now going to buy F1 2019 for just 7 euros 2nd hand. Cant really go wrong that way. I havent followed real life F1 ever in my life so I dont care about the newest names and liveries etc.

Last edited:
As a non-sim gamer, I'm quite surprised by the overall improvements of F1 2020 compared to F1 2019. Graphics, handling, AI, are a big step forward (at least on PS4) that frankly I wasn't even close to hope for.

Last edited:
I guess we gotta wait a bit for new challenges then... Like 980 years! :lol:

Pf7mPjq.png

Is there anyway to assign a button to the wheel to exit completly out of replay mode? I do not always use a mouse and or keyboard when playing.

Speaking of replays, wished that when you first click on replays that it automatically hid all menus and used the track camera. I do not like the guess it is somewhat new icon that displays who your watching. I wished there was a way to always turn off that and standings when first starting the replay. Its the little things that irritate me. Game is certainly way better then released. Long way to go though to fill out car classes. Not sure who their graphic designers are, but most of the liveries leave a lot to be desired, PC2 was much better in that area.

Is there anyway to assign a button to the wheel to exit completly out of replay mode? I do not always use a mouse and or keyboard when playing.
I would assume you can use JoyToKey or similar to achieve that. Personally I use VoiceAttack but that's payware.

I’ve encountered a bit of an issue finding ranked lobbies on here, since I’ve become S rank Safety rating. Before when I was B/A I would usually find one pretty quickly and they were populated, in the region of 10(ish) other drivers. Since then however, when I search I’m placed in a lobby by myself and have been unable to race for the past few evenings, with the exception being last night when I joined a lobby and raced with 1 other driver for an hour who was also an S rank.

So my question is, do F1 games have a similar matchmaking to GT Sport where you’re placed in a lobby with other drivers based on your ratings? Or is this multiplayer just vastly unpopular already?

I was looking at maybe buying this on the PS Store and it was taken down is this typical before they bring out the newest version each year?

kjb
I was looking at maybe buying this on the PS Store and it was taken down is this typical before they bring out the newest version each year?
Yeah, maybe not typically but certainly has happened before. F1 22 is released 1st of July (or 3 days early with the $$$ editions).

So not that long to go actually.

kjb
I have to say this is the first time I have seen that happen, all of the previous F1 games were available to buy on the store (and on sale many times - I know because this is when I bought them) so it's a surprise to see they've now removed F1 2015/16/17/18/19.

Checked and it seems the reason for the removal is EA will not pay F1 for renewal of the old licenses like Codemasters were doing yearly so the only way to get those games now is through retail stores if they have used/new copies left!

This policy change appears to have only happened this year in February.

Last edited:
Back