F1 2020 New Details: How "MyTeam" Works, Handling Model Updates, and More

The most Codemasters news there is that one of the special edition cars is in the standard game (presumably the only difference being the number).

I understand the push to add more features etc but a driver doesn't have to do any of that stuff, hiring a second driver, allocating resource to upgrade etc.

Personally I'd rather just get on and drive, and have all that guff taken care of automatically, I don't want to play at motorsport manager. Might be an unpopular opinion, but for me anything aside from driving, even in career mode, should be optional.

I understand the push to add more features etc but a driver doesn't have to do any of that stuff, hiring a second driver, allocating resource to upgrade etc.

Personally I'd rather just get on and drive, and have all that guff taken care of automatically, I don't want to play at motorsport manager. Might be an unpopular opinion, but for me anything aside from driving, even in career mode, should be optional.
Well, it still might be optional in Career Mode.

I completely agree, they should put the resources into giving us historic circuit layouts... The issue with the career mode skill trees and management is that the upgrades have negligible differences to car performance, I'd endure the fluff if the car was noticeably improved. I particularly dislike the post race interviews you should be able to skip them meh... Hopefully there will be a streamlined championship to play.

So do driver career mode and just focus on the very basic elements. MyTeam is a separate career mode.

With new consoles scheduled for release, and the lack of a real life 2020 season, I personally feel it’s kinda greedy for Codemasters to release an F1 2020 title. Aside from two new tracks (which I admit is no small change), it seems like CM is just fixing issues like the broken safety car and tire pressure modeling. Issues that could’ve just been addressed in a F1 2019 update.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but this has been an unprecedented year. I’m certainly not dropping the full “new release” price of $60-$70 to emulate a nonexistent 2020 Formula One season. Mostly based on the hope that new consoles will allow for improvements in tire & handling physics, graphics, and what I’m most looking forward to: shorter load times. Aside from those things, I don’t see how anything featured in the 2020 game is significantly better than the 2019 game. To each their own, but I’m still happy racing in F1 2019.

With new consoles scheduled for release, and the lack of a real life 2020 season, I personally feel it’s kinda greedy for Codemasters to release an F1 2020 title. Aside from two new tracks (which I admit is no small change), it seems like CM is just fixing issues like the broken safety car and tire pressure modeling. Issues that could’ve just been addressed in a F1 2019 update.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but this has been an unprecedented year. I’m certainly not dropping the full “new release” price of $60-$70 to emulate a nonexistent 2020 Formula One season. Mostly based on the hope that new consoles will allow for improvements in tire & handling physics, graphics, and what I’m most looking forward to: shorter load times. Aside from those things, I don’t see how anything featured in the 2020 game is significantly better than the 2019 game. To each their own, but I’m still happy racing in F1 2019.
Considering the game started development months before we knew the season would be canceled, it doesn't make any sense for them to just throw all the time and money they've invested in it out the window because of unforseen circumstances. Plus they likely have a contract to make a yearly installment, so if they don't release it then it'll cost them even more money of top of that.

I know Codemasters has done a number of very boneheaded things lately, but this instance is hardly a case of being "greedy".

For me I think it's more important for Codemasters to release the 2020 game since we do not have the 'planned' real F1 calendar for 2020
to remind us of what season we might have had COVID-19 not impacted so much on the real world and everyone's lives.

I don't mind paying full price for the game and especially with the My Team feature being added to the game it also means we can make our own 2020
season which I think is one of the reasons it was added to this year's game so we can have our own year in 2020 game.

Plus in terms of collectors 2020 game will be worth something at some point in the future due to it being a 'complete' 2020 season and not the reduced one when F1 does restart in real life.

For me I think it's more important for Codemasters to release the 2020 game since we do not have the 'planned' real F1 calendar for 2020
to remind us of what season we might have had COVID-19 not impacted so much on the real world and everyone's lives.

I don't mind paying full price for the game and especially with the My Team feature being added to the game it also means we can make our own 2020
season which I think is one of the reasons it was added to this year's game so we can have our own year in 2020 game.

Plus in terms of collectors 2020 game will be worth something at some point in the future due to it being a 'complete' 2020 season and not the reduced one when F1 does restart in real life.

There is a special deluxe edition for people like you...

The new ERS system is a lot better in practice I believe than in the theory of it. Using overtake/hotlap is extremely draining, can easily smash your ERS through in less than 3/4 of a lap, or less depending on the track (thanks to the way ERS is mapped). So although some of the supposed control has been taken away, it seems way more strategic than it ever has been.

This probably will never happen but they should let us map the ers deployment how we want it for a race like they do in real life. Drivers rarely do it manually for the entire race iirc, the last one I remember was Vettel in Canada.

I use manual ERS (auto is trash) and it gets annoying switching back and forth every lap. I put it down to 0 in the twisty sections and anywhere from 3 to 5 in the fast parts. I’m hitting these buttons 30-40 times a lap at some tracks just for the ERS! I use the +/- buttons on the G29 because the red dial is not reliable.

Last edited:
This probably will never happen but they should let us map the ers deployment how we want it for a race like they do in real life. Drivers rarely do it manually for the entire race iirc, the last one I remember was Vettel in Canada.

I use manual ERS (auto is trash) and it gets annoying switching back and forth every lap. I put it down to 0 in the twisty sections and anywhere from 3 to 5 in the fast parts. I’m hitting these buttons 30-40 times a lap at some tracks just for the ERS! I use the +/- buttons on the G29 because the red dial is not reliable.

That's pretty much how it has been done. The maps are custom for each circuit so we don't choose how we want it but the drivers don't have that level of control over it. The new system gives us the overtake button which will give good power gains but needs to be managed due to how fast it can deploy.

So will there be an option to disable the Halo while driving? I really don’t like the look of that thing. And preferably I drive in cockpit view.

Well it's not long now till the game is released and my excitement is building though I have ordered a retail copy of the game rather than downloading it from the store so I hope my supplier manages to deliver it for Tuesday since I order the Schumacher Edition.

Really looking forward to the game this time out as I'm finally going to take the time to actually play through the career and My Team parts of the game so roll on Tuesday next week!

Very excited for this. Pre installed the Schumacher edition. May not make it to midnight but the wife is taking the kids out tomorrow so I can have a good days racing.

Apparently according to the Race Fans website review, Codemasters have managed to include the revised Williams livery in time for the games release, although other revised liveries will follow at a later update but still a pretty good turnaround to get it done in time.

Looking forward to getting my copy hopefully tomorrow.

This is true - it was in the features video last week. However you'll need the day one patch (1.02) for it to appear.

I know they probably won't do it but it'd be nice if they kept the original Mercedes Silver Arrows livery in for use outwith career mode but I guess I'll have to do a few quick races before that update to show the original livery.

I know they probably won't do it but it'd be nice if they kept the original Mercedes Silver Arrows livery in for use outwith career mode but I guess I'll have to do a few quick races before that update to show the original livery.

To be fair to Codemasters, they probably would if they could. I believe I read as part of the licensing agreements with the teams, they have to represent the official race livery. Which in this case is the black one. If they reverted to silver for example halfway through, Codemasters would be obliged to change it back and the black one would disappear.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that in the Codemasters forums.

Edit: I think they update, within reason, usually to Monza before the visual changes stop.

Last edited:
To be fair to Codemasters, they probably would if they could. I believe I read as part of the licensing agreements with the teams, they have to represent the official race livery. Which in this case is the black one. If they reverted to silver for example halfway through, Codemasters would be obliged to change it back and the black one would disappear.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that in the Codemasters forums.

Yes this makes sense, as I said I'll just have to do a few races in the Merc before the livery changes in game.

At least both liveries are in GT Sport I think so I can still race the silver version when I'm in Sport.

Yes this makes sense, as I said I'll just have to do a few races in the Merc before the livery changes in game.

At least both liveries are in GT Sport I think so I can still race the silver version when I'm in Sport.
Darth, how do those F1 cars drive in GTS? I'm thinking of re-downloading it.

This is true - it was in the features video last week. However you'll need the day one patch (1.02) for it to appear.
If a new livery is available, does that mean that the old livery is no longer available?

Back