Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

F1 22: New Features and Gameplay Video Revealed

The next title in the long-running, annual, official Formula One game series, F1 22, will be hitting consoles and PC this July. As the sport headed to a new venue this weekend, Codemasters has sent us a preview build of the game to get an early look at what we can expect this summer...

Last edited:
From the top of my head from David Greco interview:

1. Proper simulation for aero components - now the game will compute values for front wing, rear wing and underfloor generated downforce instead of lumping them all together and just moving aero balance front-rear bias and diffuser stalling.

2. Wings setup is now absolute. Whereas before you had 1-1 Monza being different to a 1-1 in Monaco, the scale going to 1-50 enables absolute values so a 1 will be the same across all tracks.

3. Grip loss when sliding/wheelspin is now greater, making for a more realistic handling and hopefully putting and end to cars drifting and being faster in slow speed corners.

3.1 Just to clarify, let's your soft slick tyres have a certain coefficient of grip on dry tarmac. When your tyres go over the grip threshold and break traction, the nasty effects are compounded with the fact that said coefficient drops significantly. Apparently in previous games this drop was very modest so your performance wouldn't be that much affected by sliding.

4. Wheel physics have been reworked and now account for way more inertia - bigger wheels and heavier brakes, mostly. So it's harder to catch a slide if you go over the edge as the wheels will be more resistant to changes in momentum.

5. Grip sensitivity to load is now more realistic. Basically, in real life the greater the load (weight + downforce acting on any given tyre) the greater the grip, but with diminishing increases until it comes a point where the grip starts to dip. The game obviously simulated that, but relatively crudely with only 4 levels of grip vs load. Now we've got 12 points in that curve, so the simulation will be more lifelike.

6. Transmission now actually impacts the speed of your throttle inputs resulting in power output at the wheels. Before it was basically a direct link, you'd increase the throttle and the car would instantly plant more power down. Now the game accounts for that minimal time it actually takes for the engine speed to reach the driven axle.

Not interested in anything codemasters very deceptive company in my humble option this studio is now part of ea for the size of the studio they do a half baked job compared to kunos and acc there’s no comparrison kunos does a far better job

They will not get my money any longer

There's no bouncing effect on the videos and I think that this game is the same F1 2021 and also F1 2020. Unfortunately EA trying to evolve this game like Fifa series. If I pay 60$(850₺ in Turkiye) for a game i don't want to pay for extras. Same game like DLC every year.

Very much looking forward to F1 22 and to driving the new cars and the updated and new tracks. I wonder if F2 is returning this year.

F1 Life serving as a 'multiplayer hub' if they haven't fixed the underlying issues with the multiplayer service is going to be quite the disaster.

Will the AI they plugged in to mask the low online player numbers in 2021 get their own supercars and street clothes or?

Did anyone else notice that only some of the cars are true to life, and others(the Merc and Ferrari) are a generic model?
Standard stuff for pre release F1 games. The models need signing off from the teams prior to launch, so they use the generic/multiplayer/FOM car as a placeholder until then. The generic model also forms the basis of the MyTeam car.

Project Cars 4? Isn't that the same as Grid these days?
You’re probably right the way it’s going but you never know, maybe it’s closer to PC1 than 3, just be good to get another good, UE5 racer coming our way? BTCC, PC more sim than cade, more content from GT - certainly no more F1, Grid type stuff

@MagpieRacer is right on the money. Codemasters' staff even straight out said this or last week that most of the final designs are pending approval from the licensors.

These last weeks I've logged a good amount of hours on ACC. Loving it! Will probably be my main pastime for the foreseeable future. As a petrol nerd I thoroughly love all the small details that Kunos crammed into ACC!

I still find it myself constantly firing up my Notes app to look up what is the wet/SC engine maps for the different cars, the desired PSI range for the different Pirelli models, the race and pit stop requirements for each race format, what cars have night beams and stuff like that. They're not in the game. Obviously they're mostly things you look up a few times first and are later absorbed by osmosis almost, but still not newcomer friendly – purposely avoiding "novice" or "casual" here, by the way.

On F1 though, I can have my no assists, full race length, realistic settings for weekend format, simulation settings for damage etc and have a blast. My missus didn't even know what pedal goes vroom and what pedal goes screech until I got her on my wheel can also have a blast with Breaking Point and career mode will all assists on – including braking and steering aids – while stepping in the shoes or the second (I hope!) love of her life Lando Norris.

Don't you think that the two franchises cater to different audiences, @Raymondantho ? I mean, F1 wants to offer something for both simracers and casuals and it's plain to see that they do not do as good of a job servicing the former as ACC, but I truly think Codemasters efforts into onboarding or bringing in casual players to racing games is quite commendable.

Great that we can have both ACC and F1. I can spend hours with both and honestly have a good time my girl can at least relate to what I'm doing – while anxiously counting down the hours until it's her turn to crash Lando in the back of Ocon in Austria.

Of course i read it. I've just said my idea about the game. Please, don't defend companies as your own. Last 2 F1 game is not looking a new game. They're look like DLC.
You said there's no bouncing effect in the video. The reasoning of which is explained in the article you didn't read.

I'm not defending the game, I haven't played it yet and we don't really know enough about it. But you can't start complaining about something when you haven't read the article that explains the reasoning behind it.

You said there's no bouncing effect in the video. The reasoning of which is explained in the article you didn't read.

I'm not defending the game, I haven't played it yet and we don't really know enough about it. But you can't start complaining about something when you haven't read the article that explains the reasoning behind it.
First of all, i don't care with the reasons because we're going to pay approximately 60-80$ for this game. If i pay this for the official game this is my right i think. So I'm completely respect your opinions, reasons etc. and article but this is my opinion. I watched some videos for early access gameplay about the game which is "work in progress" and I don't really like it.
İn my opinion if a game doesn't change their physic and graphic engine completely, it doesn't deserve what EA want about price. This game is going to be a new FIFA series. That's why I complain about it so strict. İf i pay a game as an (A+++) they should deserve it. I'll pay 60$ and then I should pay for having some extras. This is ridiculous. I hope that I explained myself exactly.

Well, if you want porpoising:

I watched it and laughed a lot 😃

First of all, i don't care with the reasons because we're going to pay approximately 60-80$ for this game. If i pay this for the official game this is my right i think. So I'm completely respect your opinions, reasons etc. and article but this is my opinion. I watched some videos for early access gameplay about the game which is "work in progress" and I don't really like it.
İn my opinion if a game doesn't change their physic and graphic engine completely, it doesn't deserve what EA want about price. This game is going to be a new FIFA series. That's why I complain about it so strict. İf i pay a game as an (A+++) they should deserve it. I'll pay 60$ and then I should pay for having some extras. This is ridiculous. I hope that I explained myself exactly.

I watched it and laughed a lot 😃
I'm not arguing about reasoning or opinion. I'm stating you didn't read the article because you specifically complained about something that had been addressed in the article.

People can argue till the cows come home about the value or yearly release sports games or whatever (which they're contractually obliged to produce by the way). It's pretty difficult to formulate an opinion as to whether the game is worth £60-£80 yet because we don't know enough about it yet. Yeah graphically it looks pretty similar to last year, aside from some new lighting and what not, but the physics have to be different owing to the cars being completely new and different, again, a point which was touched upon in the article, and in many of the videos I have watched as well.

What amuses me, and I'm seeing it a lot, is this illusion that EA are turning F1 into FIFA, or adding extra stuff we have to pay for. Newsflash, F1 games have ALWAYS been like FIFA, whenever a studio holds the license, we get yearly releases, the only times we don't, are when no one holds the license, this is genuinely not a new thing. As for buying extra things on top of the base game, all totally optional, also all present in both recent F1 games, both developed prior to EA. Right or wrong, up to people to decide, but it's not because of EA in any way shape or form.

I imagine it's almost at the point where keyboard warriors are genuinely disappointed that they didn't announce F1 Ultimate Team so they could bash the hell out of it.

Lee Mather did a bunch of interviews and even David Greco (handling director for the franchise) did the one I posted in my first comment here. The reasoning for not implementing porpoising goes beyond it being an "unexpected" feature.

They didn't want to spend resources developing a feature users would probably turn off. Not that hard to imagine when you get people swearing by turning off motion blur and other visual effects for how distracting they can be.

I take you're vexed about the lack of the visual representation of the porpoising, @tozkan7 ? That's the only thing about the porpoising that's confirmed to be ruled out. In the physics of the game you'll still get all the issues of hurting the underfloor airflow now that the plank hitbox matches the one in the car model and that we got dedicated simulation of underbody downforce. The loss won't be as severe as it is in real life by design but that's one of the main reasons we're seemingly not able to abuse kerbs anymore.

I don't like the idea of dishing out full AAA prices each year specially when the visuals are feeling stale after a couple of years. I'm all about the driving experience though and from the previews there's enough potential to pique my interest.

Did you see a big step in F1 2021? Physics or graphics or etc.?
It's not to hard to understand that they'll just improve the somethings or regulate it for this year again.
Have you ever seen this game release price 30$?
So, as I said before I don't care the article and what the game developer said. Same things every year. Why they didn't add Istanbul Park last year, they could recognized it because of Pandemic. It announced months ago. They didn't add whole tracks with laser scan so they could do it.
I mean, of course developers will say sth. for defending themselves about what they didn't do.
So, I don't accept what they say about the game like we didn't predict about porpoising or sth.
Another think is I'm always telling same thing since F1 2020, I didn't buy F1 2021. As I said, if I pay 60$ for a game, I don't want to pay sth. extra just for contents.
They can add as an option but they shouldn't say we didn't predict. Season has started 28th of March and the game will release at 1st of July.
Anyway, I hope I wish the game will prove me wrong. It'll be good whole F1 fans like you, like me and the others... @MagpieRacer

Lee Mather did a bunch of interviews and even David Greco (handling director for the franchise) did the one I posted in my first comment here. The reasoning for not implementing porpoising goes beyond it being an "unexpected" feature.

They didn't want to spend resources developing a feature users would probably turn off. Not that hard to imagine when you get people swearing by turning off motion blur and other visual effects for how distracting they can be.

I take you're vexed about the lack of the visual representation of the porpoising, @tozkan7 ? That's the only thing about the porpoising that's confirmed to be ruled out. In the physics of the game you'll still get all the issues of hurting the underfloor airflow now that the plank hitbox matches the one in the car model and that we got dedicated simulation of underbody downforce. The loss won't be as severe as it is in real life by design but that's one of the main reasons we're seemingly not able to abuse kerbs anymore.

I don't like the idea of dishing out full AAA prices each year specially when the visuals are feeling stale after a couple of years. I'm all about the driving experience though and from the previews there's enough potential to pique my interest.
Porpoising just an example. Don't exaggerate it so much.
I agree with you, the most important thing to develop the game about gameplay but these videos show me they didn't do. That's what I'm talking about. They've just changed the shape of the car with a lot of buyable contents. That's all...

Last edited:
It's not to hard to understand that they'll just improve the somethings or regulate it for this year again.
Have you ever seen this game release price 30$?
So, as I said before I don't care the article and what the game developer said. Same things every year. Why they didn't add Istanbul Park last year, they could recognized it because of Pandemic. It announced months ago. They didn't add whole tracks with laser scan so they could do it.
I mean, of course developers will say sth. for defending themselves about what they didn't do.
So, I don't accept what they say about the game like we didn't predict about porpoising or sth.
Another think is I'm always telling same thing since F1 2020, I didn't buy F1 2021. As I said, if I pay 60$ for a game, I don't want to pay sth. extra just for contents.
They can add as an option but they shouldn't say we didn't predict. Season has started 28th of March and the game will release at 1st of July.
Anyway, I hope I wish the game will prove me wrong. It'll be good whole F1 fans like you, like me and the others...
I didn't say F1 2021 had a big step, physics wise there was never going to be a big step as the cars were pretty much identical, but we still got an all new mode, and eventually the new circuits. F1 2021 was quite disappointing compared to 2020 which was outstanding, in my opinion, because it didn't push on enough. Reasons for Istanbul/Qatar not getting added are very well documented. It's also already been confirmed that all circuit alterations plus this year's new circuit in Miami will be in at launch (hurrah).

I think you need to understand the premise of game design. F1 2022 will have been in production from early/mid 2021, and that's a reserved estimate, the games are ongoing in their development. The data they had, like the teams, didn't simulate porpoising, if Mercedes couldn't simulate porpoising, then Codemasters weren't going to. With how advanced the fundamental game will have been when porpoising became an issue, it would have required an overhaul and new understanding of the whole car physics engine, nevermind the visual aspect. For something which, all being well, will be all but forgotten by the time the game launches, even Miami just gone, I could hardly see any porpoising.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that F1 22 will justify its pricetag or be worth every penny. I can't say that until we have all the knowledge about what has been changed, what differences there are Vs the previous game outside the title features, and we don't know any of that yet because we've had a couple basic announcements and some press releases.

Last edited:
What would be big steps in physics for you?

All the ones I listed in the first post are big ones for me. They're all things you can potentially notice even when jumping from one franchise to the other - say Gran Turismo to F1.

Porpoising just an example. Don't exaggerate it so much.
I agree with you, the most important thing to develop the game about gameplay but these videos show me they didn't do. That's what I'm talking about. They've just changed the shape of the car with a lot of buyable contents. That's all...
Come on, you and I both know they've done more than "just changed the shape of the car". If you've actually read or watched anything then you'll know the physics have been overhauled, as you would expect, with the new regulations.

What buyable contents are you referencing our of curiosity? I've only seen the champions edition as an extra thing so far.

Last edited:
What would be big steps in physics for you?

All the ones I listed in the first post are big ones for me. They're all things you can potentially notice even when jumping from one franchise to the other - say Gran Turismo to F1.
As you said, these are big steps for you. Not for me.
For example If I feel dirty air effect under 1 second, it could be a big step for me.
This conversation is getting bored because you like F1 series and accept it with the wrong and right things or you'll find something to prove yourself that's a good game and I'm completely respect you.
From my side nothing changed so much because it has same graphic engine(EGO) and same physics for a long time and they said players rear wing would take damage last year and we've already seen it F1 2006.

F1 22 will be the next DLC from EA.
You can buy and accept the reasons but i don't care and accept the reasons.

@tozkan7 as long as you keep it respectful towards others' judgment, it's all good, mate 👍

We all here could reasonably describe what they like, what these games do right for them and what F1 22 seems to be doing even better. It's personal preference and they will most definitely be different from person to person.

No one needs to agree with each other's reasons. Just see them for what they are: equally valid as yours. If you don't get your money's worth of fun out of a full priced AAA F1 game for it looking basically the same as it has for the past 2 years plus having too weak of a dirty air effect, no one can argue against that.

As you said, these are big steps for you. Not for me.
For example If I feel dirty air effect under 1 second, it could be a big step for me.
This conversation is getting bored because you like F1 series and accept it with the wrong and right things or you'll find something to prove yourself that's a good game and I'm completely respect you.
From my side nothing changed so much because it has same graphic engine(EGO) and same physics for a long time and they said players rear wing would take damage last year and we've already seen it F1 2006.

F1 22 will be the next DLC from EA.
You can buy and accept the reasons but i don't care and accept the reasons.
To be fair the dirty air effect is much much much lower this year in the real cars anyway. I wouldn't agree that the physics have been the same for a long time, 2019-2020 was quite a big step for example. But streamers and previews have already said the physics are different as you would expect with the new cars. Personally I wouldn't write it off just yet because a lot of the things you've criticised are probably being changed/upgraded anyway. Graphically it looks much the same but I blame Sony/MS for that for insisting on older consoles being supported.

Personally is absolutely the keyword here. Personally, I'm quite stoked that all esports players and youtubers that I feel that have some degree of driving knowledge have said they've found the handling to be more realistic.

Graphically it looks much the same but I blame Sony/MS for that for insisting on older consoles being supported.
Hmm, is there anything I can read on that, or is it more likely a business decision from EA/Codies as the bulk of sales will likely still be from PS4/XB1?

2K put out a roster update for NBA PS4/XB1 and have a whole new product for the current gen.

Last edited:
Back