Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

F1 22 Review: Newer Isn’t Always Better

Codemasters’ annual F1 game release has had a bit of a choppy spell recently. With the real world taking a bit of a beating, the team hasn’t been able to properly represent a full F1 season since 2019...

Cool. Great review as always. Shame about the Supercars force feed back. I kinda had a feeling just from watching that they wouldn’t give much feedback through wheels. But I’ll probably drive these once and that’s it.

Last edited:
Great review.

Cross platform for online races is a great step, it doesn’t tempt me to participate in that **** show though.

Last edited:
Great review. To me it seems like the Supercars were a last minute add on and that might explain why they are the why they are. It is also possible they didn't put enough resources to them to get them where they need to be

From a PC point of view, and those that can, VR must be an amazing addition and I'm very jealous

I preordered it yesterday. Supercars and Breaking Point I couldn't care less about as I would never use them. I figured the cars would be a little more difficult to handle. Like a faster version of the '21 F2 cars since they also had the bigger tires.

EA: Don't worry, Codemasters does Grid games, Supercars should be fine.
Codemasters: Don't worry, EA does Need for Speed games, Supercars should be fine.
Slightly Mad Studios: You could just have asked...
Yeah, this. I mean, there's so much experience there I don't really understand how they are like they are. I've been looking at other reviews since ours came out and... yeah, we're not exactly a lone voice here.
I figured the cars would be a little more difficult to handle. Like a faster version of the '21 F2 cars since they also had the bigger tires.
To an extent you're right, and it will of course be an entirely personal preference - people who just want to drive the latest F1 cars will be perfectly happy to do so (and you can whack up the driver aids to toddler-spec or down to zero, which has always been a series strength)...

... but for me the cars are just so much worse to drive. They just feel so lumpen (which... I guess is accurate) compared to the '21 F1s. The 2021 F2 cars in the game (and the last game, when they were added) are still fun to chuck about though.

Codemasters same old same old graphics should be a lot better and physics should be to and now their part of ea forget about quality just bring in the money I can only imagine what kunos could do if they had this license they will not get my money Done.

Yeah, this. I mean, there's so much experience there I don't really understand how they are like they are. I've been looking at other reviews since ours came out and... yeah, we're not exactly a lone voice here.

To an extent you're right, and it will of course be an entirely personal preference - people who just want to drive the latest F1 cars will be perfectly happy to do so (and you can whack up the driver aids to toddler-spec or down to zero, which has always been a series strength)...

... but for me the cars are just so much worse to drive. They just feel so lumpen (which... I guess is accurate) compared to the '21 F1s. The 2021 F2 cars in the game (and the last game, when they were added) are still fun to chuck about though.
To me it seems I can feel a bit of difference between the 2020 F2 cars and the 2021 F2 cars which I attributed to the different tire sizes. The 2021 F2 cars don't feel quite as nimble as the 2020 F2 cars. That's what led me to the comparison.

I'm still trying to find a review or info about how in depth the wheel support is. As an example are the thumb wheels and rotary encoders actually mappable on the Fanatic Formula V2.5 wheels.

The rest of the game menus still looks same same though so won't be holding my breath there.

To me it seems I can feel a bit of difference between the 2020 F2 cars and the 2021 F2 cars which I attributed to the different tire sizes. The 2021 F2 cars don't feel quite as nimble as the 2020 F2 cars. That's what led me to the comparison.
I agree with that as well - the 2020 F2 cars were... less snappy for sure.

Last edited:
As someone who's still on F1 2020 it sounds like I'm not missing much by waiting another year to update. Hopefully F1 23 is a bigger step up.

does the review link open a blank white webpage for anyone else? Tried on mobile, multiple web browsers, wi-fi and mobile network, also same on PC.

"To end on a positive note though, the game now recreates the F1 weekend in even more detail than before"

This kind of ends that section and it's not explained what it means?

"Online Features 4.5/5"

It's not the lack of features it's the fact they don't work that's the problem here. Copy and paste from 21 is an issue if it's still not loading lobbies correctly.

Last edited:
I just don't know if putting production cars in there is the way to go, EA did the same thing with NASCAR 2005. To me that screams they're running out of ideas.
I think they're in a catch 22 with some of the stuff they do. One of the biggest criticisms of annual sports games is their lack of changing up or new things etc. If they don't add something new like the supercars, which in their defence is inspired by an actual part of the F1 weekend show (Pirelli hotlaps), then they get criticised for not doing anything new or adding new content or features. They could have just released it without the supercars and I'm sure it would still review just as well, but it is one less thing to talk about, you'd be losing a mode/feature in braking point and not gaining anything from it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with '23, they usually have a 2 year dev cycle on bigger features and whatnot. EA took over Codemasters early 2021 so F1 '23 could be the first title to be fully realised under EA alongside Codemasters. Perhaps the biggest changes will come with that in regards to a new engine, next gen only tech, return of classic cars and so on. But it could also be a '22 reskin.

I really didn't like how the cars felt on controller even with medium traction control. So I tried full traction control and it was very fun.

As someone who's still on F1 2020 it sounds like I'm not missing much by waiting another year to update. Hopefully F1 23 is a bigger step up.
I don't have any F1 games but to me as an outsider it still seems like 2020 is the best package since its the last one with classic cars.

I just don't know if putting production cars in there is the way to go, EA did the same thing with NASCAR 2005. To me that screams they're running out of ideas.
It's the sort of thing that seems more like something to appease the brands running the teams more than anything else. I imagine they'd be quite happy to have their halo products more strongly associated with the F1 teams. I'd write it off as part of the sacrifices to be made working with these big brands.

They may be running out of ideas, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that this is evidence. Every few years they seem to bring out something notably new, which is about in step with the release cadence of other racing games. It's just that in-between they have to keep putting out a new version every year even if they don't yet have anything new to add.

I tried the game with the EA Play 10 hr trial, can't comment too much about the F1 cars because I didn't drive in F1 2021 much except that they seem to be even more oversteery than before.
But when I tried one of the supercars, an AMG GT Black Series on Spa Francorchamps, I understand now what the review means by "the supercars are just plain bad". It feels really really wrong, very understeery and very oversteery at the same time. The current leaderboard top is 2:33 something. So I went back to GT7 and bought a new AMG GT Black Series with no upgrade, no tunning, and stock sports medium tires, it felt nice and grippy most of the time, and I matched the 2:33 time on my second lap and wasn't even pushing… GT7 is not the most realistic sim in the world, and the setup was probably different, but still, no way that car drives as terribly and slowly as in F1 22.

Last edited:
I tried the game with the EA Play 10 hr trial, can't comment too much about the F1 cars because I didn't drive in F1 2021 much except that they seem to be even more oversteery than before.
But when I tried one of the supercars, an AMG GT Black Series on Spa Francorchamps, I understand now what the review means by "the supercars are just plain bad". It feels really really wrong, very understeery and very oversteery at the same time. The current leaderboard top is 2:33 something. So I went back to GT7 and bought a new AMG GT Black Series with no upgrade, no tunning, and stock sports medium tires, it felt nice and grippy most of the time, and I matched the 2:33 time on my second lap and wasn't even pushing… GT7 is not the most realistic sim in the world, but still, no way that car drives as terribly and slowly as in F1 22.
Certainly amongst the best stock cars in GT7 for handling, to be fair, it's a great drive. Not played F1 but watching some clips the supercars look like they're on ice. It doesn't look fun at all.

I think they're in a catch 22 with some of the stuff they do. One of the biggest criticisms of annual sports games is their lack of changing up or new things etc. If they don't add something new like the supercars, which in their defence is inspired by an actual part of the F1 weekend show (Pirelli hotlaps), then they get criticised for not doing anything new or adding new content or features. They could have just released it without the supercars and I'm sure it would still review just as well, but it is one less thing to talk about, you'd be losing a mode/feature in braking point and not gaining anything from it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with '23, they usually have a 2 year dev cycle on bigger features and whatnot. EA took over Codemasters early 2021 so F1 '23 could be the first title to be fully realised under EA alongside Codemasters. Perhaps the biggest changes will come with that in regards to a new engine, next gen only tech, return of classic cars and so on. But it could also be a '22 reskin.
23 should be next gen only I'd have to imagine as well

23 should be next gen only I'd have to imagine as well

We can hope, good excuse for a move to a better engine as well.
I'm sure EA can come up with a snappy name for some new imaginary gameplay to say they've added Next Gen only tech like Hypermotion (FIFA) or FieldSense (Madden), they're great at that.

Back