F1 Driver Fernando Alonso to Race in the 2017 Indianapolis 500

As an European, it's definitely hard for me to understand what makes a formula 1 driver even think about making boring oval racing a daily job.
LMP's? Sure but Indy?... meh!

As an European, it's definitely hard for me to understand what makes a formula 1 driver even think about making boring oval racing a daily job.

It's the "triple crown" Indy, Monaco & LM24, very few have achieved it. Granted, since Indycar went spec chassis it has lost a lot of its luster, but back in the day it was one of motorsports top events and lets face it, Monaco sucks with todays F1 cars also. What those 3 events do have is history and prestige that just can't be bought.

It's the "triple crown" Indy, Monaco & LM24, very few have achieved it. Granted, since Indycar went spec chassis it has lost a lot of its luster, but back in the day it was one of motorsports top events and lets face it, Monaco sucks with todays F1 cars also. What those 3 events do have is history and prestige that just can't be bought.

"Very few" is only Graham Hill. It's a shame that in Germany, most media are just reporting it as "the triple" of F1 WDC (sometimes F1 WDC, sometimes only Monaco GP), Indy500 and LeMans24h. They make it sound like Fernando picked those 3 events to win them, not even mentioning Graham Hill or the wording "triple crown". I remember when JP Montoya said he wants to test LMP1 with Porsche 1-2 years ago...man I was hyped for that as he is the only active driver having achieved 2 out of 3 wins.

@Schmiggz I started watching Indycar 2 years ago. Racing is mostly better than F1, but I'm not warming up with ovals either. Except for the Indy500 because of the huge tradition. It's really great to watch, especially when your favorite Indycar Driver (JP Montoya) wins the first Indy500 you watch :D

Ignoring the "my apples are better than your apples" argument, what kind of message would it send if Alonso wins the Indy 500 in a Honda-powered car, when the Honda-powered car he drives in a series that is supposed to be the pinnacle of automotive technology can't get halfway through the race without something blowing up on it? You know it's going to be at least mentioned in passing during the 500, so I don't see it being treated as a non-issue.

While I think this is great, to me it really sends a message of how much trouble Mclaren/Honda are in. Here are my semi-conspiracy theories. First, Alonso is so on the edge of quitting Mclaren that they will let him do just about anything he wants to keep him happy. Second, Honda are in such bad shape and see no way of improving this year that they helped set this up to bring some excitement to the Mclaren team to take the pressure off of them for a short while. Just a couple of possible reasons why this happened.

I never watch Indy anymore, but I will this year! Go Alonso! All I can say is, that Honda engine in Alonso's car had better not let go or this would be the ultimate PR disaster.

I never watch Indy anymore, but I will this year! Go Alonso! All I can say is, that Honda engine in Alonso's car had better not let go or this would be the ultimate PR disaster.

Well considering all four Andretti cars failed to finish last weekend at Long Beach it could happen. At least two of them had a shot at winning before they broke. :lol:

See what Fred started now :crazy: I never did get this whole "my favorite racing is better than yours" thing. I like good, hard racing, wherever and whenever I can find it. I have seen many great drives in many disciplines over the decades and many boring ones in those same disciplines. I just keep watching all I can so I don't miss those good ones when they come along 👍

So yeah, Fernando Alonso!💡

I'm very excited to see him race at Indy, now I'm kinda disappointed I choose to go to the GP of Indy this year instead of the 500 just to see him race in person.

I can see this going one of two ways.
  1. He retires early on and never tries the 500 again.
  2. He does pretty well and goes to Indycar full time next year, a la Rossi.

I'm sure Alonso wouldn't be missing much at Monaco, 20 laps, car breaks, sit down.

Will be interesting to see him in indycar for sure.

I'm sure Alonso wouldn't be missing much at Monaco, 20 laps, car breaks, sit down.

Will be interesting to see him in indycar for sure.
That's what I came here for.

Seeing how Montoya has gone on ovals and pack racing, I'd be interested in how Zo wraps his head around that.

Lots of go-stop-point-go in road racing. Managing th car at Indy will be a challenge. I say he survives the race. Maybe not in last place, but a few places from the last car that finishes.

I love it when someone doesn't like something and can't begin to understand how someone else could dare like that thing. It's my favorite thing to read going into a relaxing long weekend.

And also merging double posts, that's up there on the list, too.

F1 fans (Who don't watch oval racing): "I want more speed, competitive and exciting racing."

Also F1 fans: "Ovals are boring. All they do is turn left and go flat out all the time."

What happens in IndyCar: 1/3rd of the schedule is oval. (Speed) Coyne won a race this year. (Like Hamilton in a Sauber winning.) Sauber have never won and the IndyCar team have won 5 times in their 33 year history which has come in the last 8 years. Exciting racing.

Feel free to respond but that's how I see it from somebody who watches both.

Because it tends to require Brass Balls, we are talking serious speeds with high Gs and the potential for injury or death in a big crash is significantly higher then circuit racing.

...aaaaand that's the end of that.

There's been a bunch of AUP violations in this thread this evening. Has one of your recent posts been deleted? Then you should re-read this page, because the next time you violate any of the points on it in this thread, you'll be taking a vacation.

...aaaaand that's the end of that.

There's been a bunch of AUP violations in this thread this evening. Has one of your recent posts been deleted? Then you should re-read this page, because the next time you violate any of the points on it in this thread, you'll be taking a vacation.
Not trying to start anything, but what part did my post violate? I was just trying to get him to stop. Either way though I respect your decision, I'm just curious. 👍

I think the same happened with my Marco Andretti comment regarding talentless Americans. :lol:

Or GTP sponsors Marco Andretti.
Umm, my post about talentless Americans that you quoted is still there, so....

I guess it's pretty safe to assume GTP sponsors Marco :P

:gtpflag:Go Marco Go!!:gtpflag:

What does this one off mean for McLaren? If they leave F1, will they be missed? Would it be a move like Audi leaving LMP to concentrate on other disciplines?

What does this one off mean for McLaren? If they leave F1, will they be missed? Would it be a move like Audi leaving LMP to concentrate on other disciplines?
I don't think they have any plans to leave F1. To paraphrase what Alonso said earlier today, "Zak Brown wants to grow McLaren outside of F1. He has bigger visions than other team bosses I have worked with."

Looking at your avatar, I'd say it's similar to Penkse racing in Australia - doesn't mean he's going to quit racing in America.

Back