F1 Manager 2022

Just started the 2nd season of my McLaren save today. And it's interesting to see some of the driver changes (though maybe not as many as I was expecting). I ended up replacing Ricciardo with Piastri for realism's sake. Dan has ended up back in the Red Bull fold at Alpha Tauri, with Tsunoda going to Haas. Schumacher has moved to Aston Martin alongside Stroll, (you can't say this game isn't realistic lol) and Vettel is at Williams in place of the rolling roadblock Latifi.
Sounds like you got a pretty good handle on game rhythym. I really need to sit down and give this an honest go. I just start to glaze over as I stare at at a screen full of numbers and think "lets go run a hot lap."
🙄😂

I just start to glaze over as I stare at at a screen full of numbers and think "lets go run a hot lap."
I'm at the stage now where I just let the computer handle all the practice sessions and then speeding up the races if nothing exciting is happening, you can get thru a season pretty quickly that way. :lol:

I don't know what all the numbers mean with parts development. All I know is that green numbers mean good. :lol:

Just started the 2nd season of my McLaren save today. And it's interesting to see some of the driver changes (though maybe not as many as I was expecting). I ended up replacing Ricciardo with Piastri for realism's sake. Dan has ended up back in the Red Bull fold at Alpha Tauri, with Tsunoda going to Haas. Schumacher has moved to Aston Martin alongside Stroll, (you can't say this game isn't realistic lol) and Vettel is at Williams in place of the rolling roadblock Latifi.
Speaking of the devil, I decided to replace Latifi for Giovinazzi halfway through my first season. Latifi has cost me the following items:
  • 1 chassis
  • 3 front wings (1 old, 2 new spec)
  • 3 rear wings (all new spec)
  • 4 gearboxes
  • 3 engines
  • 2 ERS units
  • Plus he threw away a 12th place finish at Canada after running into the back of Zhou on fresh tires...
  • And he's always .6+ seconds slower than Albon in pace
While Albon has only cost me 1 underfloor after taking an aggressive pass on Ricciardo at Imola for 13th. He's 15th in drivers standings and towing the line for this team, so I extended his contract for 2 years.

Since you started your second season, did you change PU manufactures? I'm thinking about going with RBP/Honda when the opportunity comes.

Last edited:
  • 1 chassis
  • 3 front wings (1 old, 2 new spec)
  • 3 rear wings (all new spec)
  • 4 gearboxes
  • 3 engines
  • 2 ERS units
Went thru a few front and rear wings, a couple of floors and a chassis with Lando and Dan. Ended up taking all my grid penalties for engine/gearbox/ERS at Suzuka, cause I knew we'd struggle there and just to get it out of the way all in one go. :lol:
Since you started your second season, did you change PU manufactures? I'm thinking about going with RBP/Honda when the opportunity comes.
I've stuck with Merc PU's for the time being. Was kinda of considering switching to Red Bull or even Renault, just to get a more even spread of engines across the grid. Want to try and get the cars up towards the front more consistently first before switching to anyone else.

Last edited:
I've stuck with Merc PU's for the time being. Was kinda of considering switching to Red Bull or even Renault, just to get a more even spread of engines across the grid. Want to try and get the cars up towards the front more consistently first before switching to anyone else.
I feel ya. Renault would be my second choice on this method alone. I have a strong feeling the more powerful PU will make a significant difference. Just like it does the other F1 games.

Speaking of the devil, I decided to replace Latifi for Giovinazzi halfway through my first season.
I replaced him with Piastri for the Canada GP, and guess what , he scored 1 point, my 1st point of the season! Honestly in raw speed he already seems faster than Albon, but he struggles to overtake. My car was flying that week-end , to my surprise.

Now I'm wondering if I should fire Albon and get Gasly, but he's expensive!

Last edited:
I replaced him with Piastri for the Canada GP, and guess what , he scored 1 point, my 1st point of the season! Honestly in raw speed he already seems faster than Albon, but he struggles to overtake. My car was flying that week-end , to my surprise.

Now I'm wondering if I should fire Albon and get Gasly, but he's expensive!
Congrats on your first points finish! I'm still fighting for 11th-15 every weekend with Albon & Giovinazzi. Hopefully I'll get at least one right before the summer break with upgraded car parts.

How expensive is Gasly's contract? If it's bad for the 11th best driver, I can't image how worse it will be for the rest of the top 10.:lol:

Taken the plunge, going to see if I can fix the Alpine mess & get Alonso another title.

Would’ve been local boys McLaren, but I just can’t face firing virtual Danny. :(

Last edited:
So now that I have an actual idea of what the heck I'm doing (and because I may have beefed it with Haas by not acting fast enough on car development issues), I decided to start a new save with Aston Martin because why would I ever want to manage a competent team, y'know? Now that I can actually process all the numbers being thrown at me though, I can see that this game has another similarity to Motorsport Manager in that each team has its own clear scenario you have to work with to really get things going.

In the case of Aston, the team has a generous budget and many of the facilities are at level 2 but arguably the two most important ones, the wind tunnel and CFD, are lagging behind. On top of that the head engineer and head of aero are less useful than a drunken ferret with a screwdriver taped to its head, so unless there's some big spending on replacing personnel and upgrading at least one of those two facilities (a $10 million investment for each one), development for most of the season will be several steps behind everyone else. The big starting budget is more of a red herring than anything, it seems.

On the drivers' side, Seb is good but clearly on the decline, and I can see how the temptation many would have to make him the team's focus would cause problems after the first season. Stroll still has the potential to become a good driver, but his development needs to be laser focused in order for that to happen (pay more attention to your surroundings and learn how the brake pedal works, for starters). And as for the reserve, Hulkenberg has the double whammy of both being on the decline and being in a long term, high dollar contract that will either cost a lot early to replace him or drain the cash slowly as he sits around doing nothing.

So judging from that, it looks like the team has some fundamental flaws but there's enough money to throw at the problem to fix it, as long as it's being thrown in the right direction. Should be interesting to see how this goes, especially now that I'm not just guessing blindly at what needs to be done in the early stages. Right now my main decision is whether I should just settle for free agents in replacing the useless engineering staff, or try to cause a shakeup behind the scenes by stealing someone from another team (and likely massively overpaying for them in the act)... 🤔

Oh this could get messy and expensive. I want to rescue Leclerc from the clowns at Ferrari and he is “open to negotiation”.

Alpine board’s long term goal is a constructers title by 2025 so maybe I should leave the Charles pursuit for now and upgrade the facilities first.

So now that I have an actual idea of what the heck I'm doing (and because I may have beefed it with Haas by not acting fast enough on car development issues), I decided to start a new save with Aston Martin because why would I ever want to manage a competent team, y'know? Now that I can actually process all the numbers being thrown at me though, I can see that this game has another similarity to Motorsport Manager in that each team has its own clear scenario you have to work with to really get things going.

In the case of Aston, the team has a generous budget and many of the facilities are at level 2 but arguably the two most important ones, the wind tunnel and CFD, are lagging behind. On top of that the head engineer and head of aero are less useful than a drunken ferret with a screwdriver taped to its head, so unless there's some big spending on replacing personnel and upgrading at least one of those two facilities (a $10 million investment for each one), development for most of the season will be several steps behind everyone else. The big starting budget is more of a red herring than anything, it seems.

On the drivers' side, Seb is good but clearly on the decline, and I can see how the temptation many would have to make him the team's focus would cause problems after the first season. Stroll still has the potential to become a good driver, but his development needs to be laser focused in order for that to happen (pay more attention to your surroundings and learn how the brake pedal works, for starters). And as for the reserve, Hulkenberg has the double whammy of both being on the decline and being in a long term, high dollar contract that will either cost a lot early to replace him or drain the cash slowly as he sits around doing nothing.

So judging from that, it looks like the team has some fundamental flaws but there's enough money to throw at the problem to fix it, as long as it's being thrown in the right direction. Should be interesting to see how this goes, especially now that I'm not just guessing blindly at what needs to be done in the early stages. Right now my main decision is whether I should just settle for free agents in replacing the useless engineering staff, or try to cause a shakeup behind the scenes by stealing someone from another team (and likely massively overpaying for them in the act)... 🤔
I'm currently scouting their race engineers to replace the two at Williams. Do you (or anyone else on here) know of much of an impact race engineers have on the drivers or anything else?

I'm currently scouting their race engineers to replace the two at Williams. Do you (or anyone else on here) know of much of an impact race engineers have on the drivers or anything else?
Wouldn't mind an answer to this either. Poached Ben Mitchell away from Aston to engineer Piastri but other than Oscar having a slightly better setup confidence rating the majority of the time, I'm not sure what difference having better engineers make.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind an answer to this either. Poached Ben Mitchell away from Aston to engineer Piastri but other than Oscar having a slightly better setup confidence rating the majority of the time, I'm not sure what difference having better engineers make.
I don't think it's anything really. It would be useful if you could set up say a driver strategy before the race that plans when the driver will attack, defend etc. in different situations and the better the engineer is the closer they'll stick to it so you don't need to micromanage the drivers so much which is one of the things about the game that can stop me wanting to play it.

It depends on their ratings, mostly.

RVbbK1N.png

Pit crew management affects overall pit stop times and I believe also has a small effect on the chance of mistakes happening, communication is how fast they build affinity with their paired driver, and feedback is how quickly you see the setup charts adjust during practice sessions, which can make doing them manually a lot more efficient than just simulating and then adjusting things between sessions. Affinity in general affects morale, which as it says makes them easier to re-hire but also means the driver takes less of a morale hit if they have a bad race, which can affect their performance in later races.

To give an example, on my first race both of Lance's pit stops took 2.9 seconds. Seb's race engineer has a lower pit crew rating (80 I think), and his pit stops were both closer to 3.2 seconds.

Last edited:
Oh this could get messy and expensive. I want to rescue Leclerc from the clowns at Ferrari and he is “open to negotiation”.

Alpine board’s long term goal is a constructers title by 2025 so maybe I should leave the Charles pursuit for now and upgrade the facilities first.
Being sensible, extended Alonso whilst I'm developing the facilities and staff. Will go after Charles once I have a podium-capable car. Letting Piastri rot as reserve driver for the season.

Car is ok for first season but a bit odd, lacking in top speed and also in low-speed cornering, going to struggle on certain tracks.

How expensive is Gasly's contract? If it's bad for the 11th best driver, I can't image how worse it will be for the rest of the top 10.:lol:
6m + a lot of bonuses if I remember correctly - about the price of Albon I think. I wonder if I should not hire another cheap F2 guy and focus my money on development.

It depends on their ratings, mostly.

RVbbK1N.png

Pit crew management affects overall pit stop times and I believe also has a small effect on the chance of mistakes happening, communication is how fast they build affinity with their paired driver, and feedback is how quickly you see the setup charts adjust during practice sessions, which can make doing them manually a lot more efficient than just simulating and then adjusting things between sessions. Affinity in general affects morale, which as it says makes them easier to re-hire but also means the driver takes less of a morale hit if they have a bad race, which can affect their performance in later races.

To give an example, on my first race both of Lance's pit stops took 2.9 seconds. Seb's race engineer has a lower pit crew rating (80 I think), and his pit stops were both closer to 3.2 seconds.
Thank you for this. I'll hire Ben & Chris to finish out the last 8 races of the season. These two are surprisingly affordable from my detailed scouting report. lol

6m + a lot of bonuses if I remember correctly - about the price of Albon I think. I wonder if I should not hire another cheap F2 guy and focus my money on development.
For the same price range as Albon, it might be worth it. I would focus on car development if you have your engineers/directors and facilities in order. For some reason, I don't trust the F2 guys.🤷‍♂️

This is a lot more complicated than it looked from some of the livestreams, having not played a management sim in a while.

The tutorial lady is really annoying but going to have to put up with her and run through it all. The Alpine masterplan can go on hold until I know what I’m doing.

Starting afresh with Williams, already rockbottom so any mistakes won’t really matter. Going to ditch Latifi and give the seat to one of the kids to test progression speed.

For the same price range as Albon, it might be worth it. I would focus on car development if you have your engineers/directors and facilities in order. For some reason, I don't trust the F2 guys.🤷‍♂️
With Williams, might be the right move to focus on 2023 and cut drivers expenses early right now - I'd rather develop Pourchaire and Piastri who anyway will catch up Albon in a year or so (just guessing). Gasly+Albon would be a waste of talent and much needed money

El Plan for Aston after a predictably dismal first race (only barely meeting the sponsor target of 15th place start and finish after Mazepin Schumacher committed several errors on the same corner in the second half):

1: Invested in bringing the wind tunnel up to level 2, as that provides the most overall benefit and cornering speed seems to be the real weak point of the car at this stage,

B: Replaced the two donkeys in charge of engineering with the highest rated free agents in their respective categories. It's not the greatest of upgrades (mid 70s as opposed to high 60s of the old staff), but as much as I'd love to screw over another team by scalping their engineers I have to save some money for building new parts for the cars,

🐲: Started scouting out eventual replacements for Seb and Hulk, as I'm not paying the combined $18 million to bring them back next season when they're not going to get any better. I'm reasonably sure that once I get a good car under Lance he'll show some decent results, as most of his stats are actually fairly good so I can focus on the couple that need clear improvement, and surely some opportunities will open up after mid season to grab decent drivers from another team even if it's one of their reserve drivers,

Ω: Started projects to build new front and rear wings, using up all the available testing time since I don't expect a large item like the underfloor or chassis to finish before the new allotments. If nothing else it should at least be enough to get us out of the basement and within grasping range of the Formula 1.5 crowd until the effects of the team and facility upgrades really kick in.

Can't wait for some unforeseen circumstance to come along in a couple months and completely blow this all out of the water! 🤪

saw this and thought i'd share

sort of been waiting to start a new save, sounds like in a couple weeks we may have a pretty different game!

still sort of confused about the in-race data,and if i'm supposed to constantly be manually 'deploying' for my drivers or not. my results are slightly better than the 'real' haas team, but clearly theres a lot more i could be doing to win points.

The tutorial lady is really annoying but going to have to put up with her and run through it all.
I've only done one race so far but I thought the tutorial/onboarding process for this game was rather well-done.
It tries to introduce things at a slow pace and only when you need to action them.

Didn't stop me losing a Checo podium on the final corner of the race for running out of fuel though :(
I was more annoyed with that than I was pleased that Max won :D

It seems so simple but which other companies even say this in gaming currently!
Chris is a good egg. He was my partner in crime on DiRT (I did Rally, he did DIRT 5) before he left for Frontier :)

Last edited:
I've only done one race so far but I thought the tutorial/onboarding process for this game was rather well-done.
It tries to introduce things at a slow pace and only when you need to action them.
Thought there was a bit too much dialogue, and didn’t like it forcing me to sim practise at the first race, not even giving the option of doing it manually.

With the pending update, makes sense to continue with Williams as a test run.
Signed up Piastri cheap to replace Latifi. Immediately he out-qualifies Albon and the 2 Astons. Race 1 was a private 4 way battle way behind the pack. Seb made a couple of mistakes, I got my lads to play it conservatively and they finished 17th and 18th. Team celebrated like they’d won. About a sec a lap off the midfield battle, so any points are a long way off.

Thanks for the explanation. This explains why my pit stops have been quicker than last year (Around the 2.5 mark more regularly now vs 2.9 odd last year with the original engineer). The morale thing is still a bit confusing to me. I've just renewed Oscar's contract because he had low morale despite his already great Affinity with Ben. The four DNF's Oscar has had this year might have had something to do with it though. :lol:
For some reason, I don't trust the F2 guys.🤷‍♂️
Yeah, it's a risk running a younger driver. While Piastri has managed some good results for me. He is very prone to making mistakes.

His rating hasn't really grown either. He's only gone up 1 point to 77 overall from the start of the season. Maybe I should have spread the development points out a bit more, rather than just putting them all into one category. 🤭 :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. This explains why my pit stops have been quicker than last year (Around the 2.5 mark more regularly now vs 2.9 odd last year with the original engineer). The morale thing is still a bit confusing to me. I've just renewed Oscar's contract because he had low morale despite his already great Affinity with Ben. The four DNF's Oscar has had this year might have had something to do with it though. :lol:
Yeah, I would reckon DNFs hit pretty hard since they're basically the worst possible result you can get in a race. I thiiiiink that the facilities that have a positive effect on morale do so by gradually bringing it back up over time, so having a look through those might be worthwhile if it's still a problem.

Also, do remember that your staff earn development points like the drivers, so if need be dropping some points into the race engineer's communication might help too if his other stats are looking well enough. Gotta make sure they're properly skilled in smoothing over those fragile egos, after all. :lol:

After several false starts and restarts, I think I'm finally getting the hang of this. From my own experience and reading other posts, it does seem that even starting in the midfield with the likes of Alpine or McLaren is a bit too quick to reach the front and start winning. I'm only really planning one playthrough so starting at the bottom and playing the long game seems to be the best bet.

Haas seems the nearest thing to a MyTeam, no major history and I have no sentimental connections, so I can build them up my way and get a first win. Maybe make them less of a Ferrari B-squad. They already have one of the better tech chiefs so no need to poach someone. It seems most people end up dumping Mick but it might be possible to train him up to be a solid driver 2.

After several false starts and restarts, I think I'm finally getting the hang of this. From my own experience and reading other posts, it does seem that even starting in the midfield with the likes of Alpine or McLaren is a bit too quick to reach the front and start winning. I'm only really planning one playthrough so starting at the bottom and playing the long game seems to be the best bet.

Haas seems the nearest thing to a MyTeam, no major history and I have no sentimental connections, so I can build them up my way and get a first win. Maybe make them less of a Ferrari B-squad. They already have one of the better tech chiefs so no need to poach someone. It seems most people end up dumping Mick but it might be possible to train him up to be a solid driver 2.
You have the right idea to get the best experience out of this. Depending on how the next update effects my current career (or If I totally screwed up my research and development for season 2), I will start a new career with Haas.

How are their car development facilities and sponsor payouts?

You have the right idea to get the best experience out of this. Depending on how the next update effects my current career (or If I totally screwed up my research and development for season 2), I will start a new career with Haas.

How are their car development facilities and sponsor payouts?
Terrible and not that great unless you really lean on Magnussen to pull the team's weight. Many of the team facilities aren't even present (as you'd expect from an American team competing in a primarily European-based sport), and the sponsors initially want both cars in Q2 minimum and finishing above 14th which is... not impossible, so long as you're not adverse to liberal use of the pause button to react to situations the moment they occur. You also don't have much of a budget to start with, so choosing what to upgrade in the early days is sort of a "choose your pain" scenario.

And I can speak from experience when I say one misstep in development can very much torpedo your entire season, so if you're looking for a real challenge that's your team to pick.

Back