F1 Schedules Virtual Races With Real F1 Drivers to Replace the Cancelled Real Races

This year esport will receive overwhelming attention. Promotion and other sponsors could actually start to build a new legacy on it.

A brilliant decision, and one which will almost certainly validate sim-racing e-sports among the fans and general spectators of motor racing.

As for stealing Veloce's idea, no I don't think so. I think that this was always on the table, especially as I can easily imagine it could have been Max, Lando, or both piping up to Liberty Media and saying "Hey, we could do this". I think Veloce deserves a hell of a lot credit for managing to pull together last weekends event at such short notice, but it wasn't an idea that probably wasn't already running through the heads of the F1 management and drivers.

As for stealing Veloce's idea, no I don't think so.

Ooh, I think so. ;) It will be interesting to see if they are a bit stricter with the rules. ;)

I think Veloce deserves a hell of a lot credit for managing to pull together last weekends event at such short notice, but it wasn't an idea that probably wasn't already running through the heads of the F1 management and drivers.
Kudos to Veloce for putting it together with the names they did so quickly. Not sure they will have the real F1drivers being allowed to join their races in the future. :rolleyes:

Btw, not sure how to read the second half of that sentence. :confused: :lol:

Ooh, I think so. ;) It will be interesting to see if they are a bit stricter with the rules. ;)

Kudos to Veloce for putting it together with the names they did so quickly. Not sure they will have the real F1drivers being allowed to join their races in the future. :rolleyes:

Btw, not sure how to read the second half of that sentence. :confused: :lol:

Yeah, it's not well constructed, is it? But it's what happens when you've spent half the day thinking about a logic problem.

So basically - even though Veloce was first to run the event, the idea was almost certainly in the minds of the F1 management before the event happened. does that sound better?

Some of the major or top tier motorsports are doing eSports now: Virgin Australia Supercars, TCR Australia, NASCAR. WTCR have been doing their eSports events since last year.

I feel it was in inevitable. Plus, why not? F1 has a long schedule. Trying to run that and an eSports series through the year, is alot. Now, F1 and the drivers have the time to do this together. Good stuff for motorsports and us fans.

Awesome, loved the "The Race" race, as it were, but the Veloce one was presented quite badly. Good commentating truly transforms the experience...

Does this one feature the Sky commentary team?

Awesome, loved the "The Race" race, as it were, but the Veloce one was presented quite badly. Good commentating truly transforms the experience...

Does this one feature the Sky commentary team?
I watched the Veloce F1 race the next day via Jimmy Broadbent and SuperGT's streams synced together. Quite funny when they were talking to each other. Allowed me to sync the streams too. :lol:

I watched a bit of the Veloce stream, to see what it was like, but when one of the commentators was a bit behind because he had to watch the YT stream lost a bit of his spontaneity. ;) :lol: Their highlight video was very good though, taking bits from peoples streams. :)

Last edited:
F1 have been running esports events in the Codemasters game for a while now, so not surprising. Actually, I think it's a great idea. I watched the Veloce Sports event, as well as some of the Not The Aus GP one, & am looking forwards to some professional polish on the official F1 effort. Haven't watched F1 for years, I went off it when they changed the engines in 2014, maybe this will get me back into it again.

We live in interesting times...

I watched the Veloce F1 race the next day via Jimmy Broadbent and SuperGT's streams synced together. Quite funny when they were talking to each other. Allowed me to sync the streams too. :lol:

I watched a bit of the Veloce stream, to see what it was like, but when one of the commentators was a bit behind because he had to watch the YT stream lost a bit of his spontaneity. ;) :lol: Their highlight video was very good though, taking bit from peoples streams. :)

Ah I've not seen the highlights tbf... I'll check them out - cheers!

VBR
F1 have been running esports events in the Codemasters game for a while now, so not surprising. Actually, I think it's a great idea. I watched the Veloce Sports event, as well as some of the Not The Aus GP one, & am looking forwards to some professional polish on the official F1 effort. Haven't watched F1 for years, I went off it when they changed the engines in 2014, maybe this will get me back into it again.

We live in interesting times...

We do indeed live in interesting times. I'm all for this e-sports move. Forcing my old man to watch it on Sunday too - be intrigued to see what he makes of it...

I wonder what tracks they'll use. Real tracks will be hard to do, with Vietnam and redone Zandvoort, as nothing has them yet.

To give all who haven't seen what F1 have already been doing a taste of what to expect...

This playlist runs back to front, so watch the last video first (click top right).

This should be interesting. Will the events be streamed so we can watch?
Also, wondering if Fraga will be taking part?

I wonder what tracks they'll use. Real tracks will be hard to do, with Vietnam and redone Zandvoort, as nothing has them yet.

They've already stated that they'll substitute other tracks for those. As to what tracks will be used as substitutes we don't know yet. But really, the most important point is that racing is coming back.

This should be interesting. Will the events be streamed so we can watch?
Also, wondering if Fraga will be taking part?

Yes, on F1 TV (or .com), YouTube, and Twitch. As for the driver lineup we'll have to wait and see

"Of course not all drivers are available or familiar with the gaming world"

...But all F1 drivers are familiar with getting money from codemasters for the use of their name/likeness, no?

Last edited:
Bring it. I'm ready!
images

Is it starting today Saturday 21st March? Is there a link to watch it whenever?
Literally the article
The first event, starting at 2000 UTC on March 22, will be a 50% length version of the Bahrain Grand Prix. F1 will broadcast it across its official channels, with the 90-minute show scheduled to include a qualifying session.

I stopped watch, it is simply horrible ! I loath the commentary, then we have drivingstandards below every point by some, the technical issues and aweful spectatorquality that is streamed. Just no,no,no 👎

The Lando Norris Twitch stream was amazing.

He had a load of technical issues so he was calling all sorts of random people for ‘advice’. Verstappen, George Russell, his strategist, Carlos Sainz and even his McLaren boss! Really funny stuff and such a difference to the super PR managed driver interviews you normally see.

Last edited:
I stopped watch, it is simply horrible ! I loath the commentary, then we have drivingstandards below every point by some, the technical issues and aweful spectatorquality that is streamed. Just no,no,no 👎

I really enjoyed it and thought the commentary was excellent. Driving standards were poor - especially in the first two laps and some drivers were exceeding track limits - it sometimes seemed faster off the track than on, which presumably is a weakness with the game. I thought it was a good effort which I am sure will get better. There were some excellent battles and close racing as well as clumsy driving. Definitely better than no racing!

I thought it was quite entertaining. Remember a lot of the drivers though professional aren't avid sim racers per se and had some measure of familiarisation with the game to deal with. Good of them to participate.

Was also good to see Jimmy Broadbent in the mix. He came from behind and made 4th I think yes. Almost made podium. I'm sure we'll hear from him about the experience.

My father and I enjoy watching F1 together. Due to his age and health I sent him a link to this race. We both were very impressed.

I would love for it to continue. I think during off weeks they said there will be exhibition races that the public has a chance in. That’s pretty cool.

Back