F1 Trademarks Daniel Ricciardo's Signature Podium Celebration, The Shoey

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by GTPNewsWire, May 5, 2018.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2018
  2. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

I'm confused - as established in the existing thread they haven't trademarked the celebration, they've trademarked the word.

3. Conquerer

Conquerer

Isn't that like a teacher trademarking something their student did? Lol...

Apollo440 and king_nismo like this.
  4. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

David Reynolds did it first...

5. LogiForce

LogiForce Premium

Worse... it's like the University (overseeing company) licensing something the teacher's (respective team) student's (respective driver/team member) equal of another University's teacher's student actually did the act and called it a "Shoey".

To quote Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_from_shoes

...and even that's not the origin of the tradition as it goes way back of the Prince of Prusia in 1902 (see rest of above article).

So yeah, how are they even able to trademark an old practice like this? Unbelievable and to be honest... a quote sad money grubbing move. :yuck::yuck::yuck:

6. Famine

Famine Administrator

Ultimately it isn't. Examples of trademarked gestures are very few and far between, as they have to meet several criteria regarding the uniqueness of the act, the association with it to the business or individual and the perception of it within the wider industry. For example, trademarking a thumbs-up gesture would be a nightmare as it's common and not associated specifically to any individual, business, or industry. The only gestural trademark I'm aware of is the Asda pocket pat, which is trademarked to Asda for the purposes of promotion and advertising within the grocery and general goods industry.

In this instance the company hasn't trademarked the act itself (and probably couldn't) but rather the terminology of - and probably imagery of - the act for the purposes of promotion, advertising, and merchandising. However, it's a limited trademark as there is an existing, established brand of clothing with the same name as the act: Shoey. I imagine the motorsport safetywear brand Shoei is also unpleased.

That effectively means that Liberty can use the word "Shoey" and images of its drivers performing it to advertise the sport in print, broadcast, and digital media, as well as merchandise like shirts and probably shoes (and novelty drinking glasses), but other motorsports cannot. However it can't prevent other people - whether participants of other motorsports or not - from doing a shoey and calling it a shoey.

LogiForce, zzz_pt and TenEightyOne like this.
  7. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

And the Schuey, which is another sort of winning but much more dangerous to race against.

Perhaps the article title could be subtly altered to reflect the fact that the act itself isn't (and likely couldn't be) trademarked?

8. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Guessing you haven't seen graduate school? Sadly this isn't a surprising thought.

9. 05XR8

05XR8

A little more background(and please don't bash me for the "reporter" who did the article):

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motors...y/news-story/48f60003402b0febe565a9c04de36661
    Before the VASC race at Perth, David Reynolds was asked for his view about this news again. He then mentioned giving props to a V8 Ute driver doing a shoey on the podium(which Ute post race celebrations, are rarely broadcast). So, how ever long ago that was, he was a bit annoyed by F1.

10. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid

Ah yes, the ancient American tradition of trademarking something others did years before.

Apollo440 and Inferno251 like this.
  11. mustafur

mustafur

Mad hueys did. They also own the Trademark in Australia though.

12. breyzipp

breyzipp

It was funny the first time.
    It was okay the second time.
    It was boring from the 3rd time on.

SVX likes this.
  13. Grayfox

Grayfox

The Shoey is Ricciarcos victory move like the finger is/was vettels victory move.

14. TheCrazySwede

TheCrazySwede

It's an Aussie thing; was introduced to it after my first race in Bathurst. Probably just trademarked the phrase for promotional purposes so they can use it to promote the sport. If they don't do it, some other athlete in some other sport might copy it and it might catch on and suddenly it's a missed opportunity for F1

15. Inferno251

Inferno251

I guess they took inspiration from Decker's and their trademarking of the word 'ugg,' or that time Abercrombie and Fitch trademarked the term 'Bondi Beach'

I'm waiting for the day when someone tries to trademark the term ANZAC, just to set the bar even lower than it already is...

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  16. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

59 entries for ANZAC.

Inferno251 likes this.
  17. I first saw this done with champagne many many years ago in high heels, or stilettos if you prefer. They really hurt my manly feet.

18. D1RTIEST

D1RTIEST

Completely off topic, but are you the GrayFox from civinfo forums?

19. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

It's sometimes known as 'Le Rituel', interesting piece on the practice here.

20. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Is it possible for GTPNewsWire threads to incorporate threads which already talk about the given subject?

Inferno251 likes this.
  21. Grayfox

Grayfox

Yeah
    The grumpy australian super mod

D1RTIEST likes this.
  22. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

I love how their first thought when they saw it was "How can we make money out of this?"

23. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Yeah, that's such a new approach for the owners of F1! :D