F1 trivia...keep it flowing!

• Thread starter Pupik
  • 140 comments
Which is presumably why you didn't mention the Williams victories from early 1990, because they didn't have Camel then either.

--

Actually you would have still been wrong, careful examination of the 1990 williams reveals logos from a company called "Barclay".. :)

---

Let's turn this around, first GP won by baccy sponsered car.

Graham Hill, 1968 Spain, Lotus 49B-Ford

Lotus' first race after Jim Clark's death,
The first race win by a car with a major sponsor
....some believe this was the end of F1 as they knew it.

Well, yes and no. The only non-car related sponsor, yes, but there were a number of tyre firms, spark plug manufacturers that were involved in sponsorship to a lesser extent (payment in kind kinf of stuff).

Yea, they were sponsors, but strictly fuel, oil, tires, spark plugs...only in exchange for cheaper/free stuff. And even then, on inconspicuous parts of the car.

Ok, here's the next question:

What race was the only to have its laps cut short on account of possible nightfall?

That's correct.

Which Formula One World Championship race had its laps cut due to possible nightfall?

F1 stat websites probably won't be of much help...

There goes Rockingham! Seem to remember hearing about this in the non-too distant past - One of the Japanese races in the mid 70s?

Yea, they were sponsors, but strictly fuel, oil, tires, spark plugs...only in exchange for cheaper/free stuff. And even then, on inconspicuous parts of the car.

Well, that makes them suppliers then, or at most "technical partners" :)

It doesn't appear to be a mid-70's race in Japan--both of those races at Fuji were anout the same length.

I'll throw up the 1951 Spanish GP at Pedralbes, Spain.

Japanese GP of 1976 at Mt Fuji was definitely a delayed start due to torrential rain and I seem to remember something being said abotu them running out of time to start it due to the lateness of the hour, hence I'll go with that for want of a better guess.

Nope, it's neither the races at Fuji nor Pedralbes.

Read the question again...it may narrow down your choices significantly.

AHA!

"Formula one WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP EVENT"

not F1 race...

It's the 1950 Indianapolis 500, shortened from 200-138 laps.

Wasn't a race for f1 cars, but it was from 1950 - 1960, an event of the world championship.

I suppose that I'd say in response that it can't be a Formula 1 (or event) as they weren't Formula One cars. I suppose that you could consider it an F1 race as it counted towards the F1 WC, but I don't know if I'd agree with that. World Championship race, yes.

Yes, the Indy 500 from 1950-60 was a World Championship event.
No, I don't count them in my trivia questions.
No, it wasn't the right answer.

Which Formula One World Championship race had its laps cut due to possible nightfall?

Okay, let's make this easier:
1. Focus on laps cut short.
2. What would make the event delayed to such a degree that nightfall may occur?

You'll make it easier.

After a bit, ahem, okay, a lot of hunting I think I've got it.

1978 Italian Grand Prix?

After the first incident (I'm sure we all know which one) the race was ready for the restart - almost.

The race was going to be restarted but as the cars were getting ready Scheckter lost a wheel in the Lesmo and crashed heavily. The barriers did not hold up well and so repairs had to be made and it was nearly six o'clock before the race started again with 19 cars (six drivers being in their spares and five being unable to start).

Other possible clues: The race was only 232.00km's long (40 laps), taking only 1hr07m04.54s to run.

Joe Racer gets it!

Yes, it was the 1978 Italian GP. Unfortunately, the race was dark for other reasons: It was the race in which poor Ronnie Peterson lost his life.

Now this I think I remember.

IIRC everyone else brought "rafts" in the "cheap" sense and one of them splashed out. I don't think it was Ferrari.

I'm going to take a stab at "Jordan"

Yip, Jordan did win something in their debut season.

I've been watching a few F1 review tapes recently and remember seeing that one on the '91 review so I thought I throw it in if I got the chance.

On ya Dud's.

Carry on.

Here's a question for you:

What was the first F1 car to run with a semi-auto gearbox, which team was it, which year, and who designed it?

Giles - you only ask the next question if you got the last one right.

FWIW I think it was Ferrari in John Barnard's 639 in 1989.

--

Now what the heck was I going to ask, I did have one planned. Please hold.

Do they still perform the annual raft race?
I remember Tyrrell won the raft race in 1988...ostensibly their last win!

I think the first semi-automatic gearbox was developed by John Barnard and Ferrari during 1988 in their prototype 639 chassis. Berger, Alboreto, Mansell, and Roberto Moreno all put in some testing on the V12-powered car.

But it looks like Duds got it.

Back