F1 trivia...keep it flowing!

• Thread starter Pupik
  • 140 comments
The previous record stood at 9:41.6, set by Fangio the year before. After his display in 1957, he knocked it down to 9:17.4! That makes a 24.2 second difference.

He broke the lap record 10 times during the course of the race. It looks like he chopped the lap record by about a 5% margin...not easy to do these days, or probably any day.

Okay, this is a little obscure.

Which short-lived F1 team did John Barnard first work for?

Correct Pupik.

Obviously he was one of the very best racers of all time. His performance even scared him after it was all said and done.

Sorry I asked one out of turn.

Originally posted by pupik
Okay, this is a little obscure.

Which short-lived F1 team did John Barnard first work for?

I think it may have been Shadow.

But I'm not sure!

The lola you mention is presumably Beatrice Lola who had both Ross Brawn and Adrian Newey on the pay roll.

And still were crap.

Nope. John Barnard's first job was with Lola in 1968, by the looks of it working on the sports cars, but they were a F1 team. Certainly later on they were in F1 (well, sort of...) under their own name and round about that time, they were chassis manufacturer for Honda.

His first F1 job was with McLaren, which can hardly be called short-lived.

Well, is a team an F1 team if it is not operating as an F1 team at the certain time? I don't know.

Obviously it's either Lola or McLaren. "Short-lived" obviously points to the former.

If you're really picky "McLaren" under McLaren ownership only lasted 3 years or so ;)

They then passed through IIRC at least one more owner before Teddy Myer and more recently the merging with "Project 4"

[doofus]

I found him working for Rebaque in 1979, shortly afterwards becoming techinical director with McLaren.

Looks like I asked a bad question...

[/doofus]

The Autocourse history of McLaren. I checked it out on a few web sources, and sure enough, John Barnard had worked for a few other teams before. No other site I (later) checked had Rebaque team listed...that doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere.

What I should have asked was "Where was John Barnard technical director for the first time?"

Doh!

By the looks of things, JEC gets the question right, because the Lola team was in fact making F1 cars (for Honda, and Barnard was working in the Formula Vee section). But for me to ask the question about which team: Someone working for a team that entered cars made by another manufacturer, by way of someone else designing it...not a fair question at all.

But that's like saying Lord Hesketh worked for Ford Motor Company because his F1 car had a Ford-Cosworth DFV bolted to it. Next time, I'll wait (and think) a little longer before posting another question!

Guiseppe Farina = 44
Juan Manuel Fangio = 47.5
Jackie Stewart = 34
Jacques Villeneuve Jr. = 48

The funky-haired Canadian wins the prize, no?

Fangio and Farina got the extra point for the fastest lap, though. In most cases (in the early 50's) that meant a 9-point victory.

I hate to sound snobby, but I think I've gotten the question correct. Anybody else in doubt of the answer?

As always, proving me wrong is much more fun (even if I have to do it myself).

Here's an easy one.

Who was the only driver to drive for McLaren, Ferrari, and Williams in races during the same season?

Back