F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

nooooo.jpg

And the signs are that the BBC will drop their entire team and no longer produce any pre or post-race. There isn't even any suggestion that qualifying will be even shown by the BBC.
What is likely to happen is Sky produce whatever they like and BBC will broadcast using Sky's commentators.

By the sounds coming from Jake and Brundle, thats what I'm understanding anyway.

Needless to say, I'm totally gutted. Its definitely not going to be easy to watch F1 now.

Can't believe it, I was annoyed when BBC got rid of Football and gave to ITV (which only get half, Sky get the rest) and now this. I'm beyond 🤬

There isn't even any suggestion that qualifying will be even shown by the BBC.
Apparently they will show practice and qualifying for each race they have...

hfs
I could probably watch all the races using the online BBC feed
I doubt that... they say they will have highlights from all races online, but I seriously doubt they will show only half the races on TV, but all of them online...

Last edited:
BBC 5Live coverage is being maintained.

Which to me says that Sky will have their own commentary for the practices (Or no commentary at all, which I wouldn't mind - i'll probably put BBC on in the background anyway).

Which also insinuates that Sky will have their own 'dedicated' commentary team. James Allen and Jonathan Legard anyone? I could see sky hiring those two clowns.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Not Sky! Out of all the channels! The channel with longest ad times ever known! Disgraceful for us regular F1 viewers!

James Allen has already said he isn't interested. Jonathan Legard is a BBC man.

So no.

I half hope for Ben Edwards (or just Brundle)...but then I'd rather have Ben Edwards for live (and free!) ITV coverage of BTCC as I doubt I'm going to pay for Sky..

Hmmm, maybe Speed won't seem so bad with their commercial breaks compared to Sky that TSN will probably show...

Everything_went_better_than_expected.png

James Allen has already said he isn't interested. Jonathan Legard is a BBC man.

So no.

I half hope for Ben Edwards (or just Brundle)...but then I'd rather have Ben Edwards for live (and free!) ITV coverage of BTCC as I doubt I'm going to pay for Sky..

I think no commentary, but thats unlikely.

I have not nor will I ever pay for a sky sports subscription.
It will be either a lot more Sunday brunches in the pub or i'll have to find another motorsport to follow :grumpy:

I guess we'll wait and see what happens. I don't think it will be that bad, I don't think they will have lots of ad breaks, more likely an ad banner at the top of the page or something, with ads pre and post race. The only problem really is the cost just to recieve sky sports, I it's £20 a month for existing customers, probably more for new customers and more still if you only want sports and none of the other package. It's disgraceful. As half of the races are shown on BBC, that's 10 races per year on sky, that makes is pay per view more than £20 per race!!!

Interesting that on the Sky Sports website it says "All Races, qualifying and practice sessions live from next season" which to me confirms it will have it's own production team as when they clash with the BBC races they can't just show the same thing.

I have Sky at home but we don't recieve sports. Whilst I like the idea that pubs would show it, it's not nearly as popular among pub goers as football so most won't bother with it and half the races are on when pubs are shut anyway

Last edited:
The Sky Sports package is never going to worth the cost. Why? Because its very unlikely F1 will be shown on Sports 1 and 2..it will probably be shown on Sports 4. This requires the full Sports package...which is a lot of money just for half the races.
I don't think I can justify the costs to myself..even for F1.

So the BBC should keep sinking money into a black hole simply because the sport is getting record viewing figures? Sorry, but you need to compare the figures for Formula 1 to the figures for other sports.

The odd domestic/international football match and Wimbledon is the only sport the BBC show that'd get bigger figures than their F1 coverage. The BBC don't care about sport, this is nothing new. There have been numerous signs that the BBC would be reducing their F1 package.

Of course it'd be nice to have a say in a service we are legally forced to pay for.

That said, I'm fairly open to this, we don't know what's going to happen. My biggest concern is ads, I'm not really expecting Sky to do an ITV on that, they are cleverer than that. As for presentation, well, their Cricket and Football coverage is the best in the world. Hard to judge them before they've even started it!

I don't think people should say "Oh, they're going to do an ITV." this is Sky.

Already have SkySports because of the Cricket/Football coverage, so makes no odds to me. Can't afford it, find a pub/mate for the races.

The Sky Sports package is never going to worth the cost. Why? Because its very unlikely F1 will be shown on Sports 1 and 2..it will probably be shown on Sports 4. This requires the full Sports package...which is a lot of money just for half the races.
I don't think I can justify the costs to myself..even for F1.
Oh, you cynic... but I bet you are right. :indiff:

There's not a hope in hell that Sky will show the races on Sports 1/2, and even if they did, it's still around £300 pa minimum, regardless of how you choose to upgrade to Sky Sports, if you don't already have it.

Can't afford it, find a pub/mate for the races.
Good luck to anyone trying that. I'm sure my mates would really appreciate me rocking up at 6 am on a Sunday morning to watch the Chinese Grand Prix at their house.

Last edited:
The odd domestic/international football match and Wimbledon is the only sport the BBC show that'd get bigger figures than their F1 coverage. The BBC don't care about sport, this is nothing new. There have been numerous signs that the BBC would be reducing their F1 package.

Of course it'd be nice to have a say in a service we are legally forced to pay for.

That said, I'm fairly open to this, we don't know what's going to happen. My biggest concern is ads, I'm not really expecting Sky to do an ITV on that, they are cleverer than that. As for presentation, well, their Cricket and Football coverage is the best in the world. Hard to judge them before they've even started it!

I don't think people should say "Oh, they're going to do an ITV." this is Sky.

Already have SkySports because of the Cricket/Football coverage, so makes no odds to me. Can't afford it, find a pub/mate for the races.

Watch Sky's Indycar coverage.
Its easier to make better cricket and football coverage because those sports have more breaks, which allow for better placement for adverts. F1 is a continuous 1 hour 30 sport (at least)...they won't be able to avoid sticking adverts in the race somewhere.
Again, I don't believe the price of Sky Sports is worthwhile at all just for 10 races in the year.

I also hate the attitude of "well I've got it already so who cares". 👎 Yeah, watch it at a pub? Like any pub on a Sunday afternoon is going to show F1.

That old guy who owns FOX and therefore everything else on the planet whose name I've forgotten at this moment: Get the 🤬 out. Have I ever wanted some corrupt, rich 🤬 in charge of everything?

If formula 1 knew what is best they would have given the coverage to Europsport, in fact Eurosport France already have it so why not?

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments."

There's a good reason for that, it's because they're on free-to-air, have no ad-breaks, have a very good team of people and show the classics on the red button.

Sky sports treatment is just Andy Gray being a tool with some interactive board and if they even thing about making an announcement and a stupid little graphic for DRS, I will take down Sky as a company.

Okay, maybe not that last part, but I'd like to.

I seriously doubt that dropping Eddie Jordan would have done enough to keep all 20 races on the BBC.
You don't say :sly:

Perhaps we are jumping to conclusions as to what "half the races" means. Maybe they are planning to show 'half of each race'...? If so, let's just hope it's the latter half, otherwise we'll have to tune into Radio 5 Live to find out who wins!

It works out at £24.30 a race for what is likely to be poorer coverage than the BBC.

I don't want Football, or Rugby etc. I just want F1. I can't afford £20 a month, I suppose it'll come down to watching cut down highlights on BBC which will most likely follows Hamilton's car around the track. It's already troublesome as it is showing the full race, you miss loads of action because the camera can only follow one battle at a time.

As for the actual camera shots etc. they all come from FOM so it'll be the same, it's just everything else that will be worse 👎

I also hate the attitude of "well I've got it already so who cares". 👎 Yeah, watch it at a pub? Like any pub on a Sunday afternoon is going to show F1.

Yes, because that's actually what I said, wasn't it?:rolleyes: You took two and two and got five. Well done.

We all knew this was happening, the Beeb have been telling us for ages they weren't going to be going for an exclusive deal again.

TM
I'm sure my mates would really appreciate me rocking up at 6 am on a Sunday morning to watch the Chinese Grand Prix at their house.

You don't have to tell them! Ninja time.

You may as well have said that, particularly with the line "can't afford it, find a pub/mate for races".
No, I can't afford it and I do not have the option of going to a pub as they will be showing popular sports instead.
I don't know anyone with a Sky package that I can easily visit either.

This isn't people complaining for the sake of a few quid. 👎

So, even in the UK asking to see F1 at a pub would be pretty ridiculous? Just imagine the looks you'd get if you were to do that on this side of the pond! :lol:

Holy 🤬 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't see where these Ad break lengths have been disclosed on either Sky Sports site or Beeb. Is it just common perception that the race will be interrupted for adverts, because for the sports I watch, Sky don't cut live feed for adverts.

We've also been told of at least 3 confirmed BBC races:
"Half the races and qualifying sessions remain live on BBC TV, Online and Mobile including key races such as the British Grand Prix, Monaco Grand Prix and the final race of the season."

If they add Australia, Canada, Brazil, Japan, Italy & Belgium GP's to the BBC list then I'll be happy with that list :)

I currentley pay for Sky with lots of bells and whistles (HD, Multiple Mulitroom, Broadband, Telephone etc..),including Premiere Sports for the NASCAR, it comes to about £130 per month, but come the end of this year I'll probably be cancelling the lot.. I used to get Sky TV, just enough of a package to get Motors TV for £14 per month... how times have changed.

So, even in the UK asking to see F1 at a pub would be pretty ridiculous? Just imagine the looks you'd get if you were to do that on this side of the pond! :lol:

Holy 🤬 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Asking? If there is football on, there is no point in asking. Yes, most pubs would switch the channel if you asked, but when its a Sunday afternoon...prime time for football...fat chance of having it changed. Even worse for a Saturday for qualifying.

Not to mention I don't particularly want to sit in a pub being asked why I watch "a sport where cars just go round and round"...which I have before. Maybe if there was a group of us to go and watch and enjoy it...sadly F1 fans are relatively sparse.

Here is something coming straight from Martin Brundle's Twitter:

"BBC/Sky/F1 2012+. Found out last night, no idea how it will work yet I'm out of contract, will calmly work through options Not impressed"

I agree.

I am pissed at this move, so much for the concorde agreement! I will find a way of watching all of the races so its not like I'm complaining about not having Sky. Its the fact that 50% of the races will remain on BBC.... WHY? You either show the full season or nothing, you don't show half of it. The only reason I can see for it is as a comparison. Something like this:

Race only on Sky
X million viewers

Race on both Sky and BBC
Y1 being those watching it on Sky, Y2 being those who watch it on BBC
Y million viewers = Y1 + Y2

From this you can see 2 comparisons, firstly the total viewing figures and secondly the ratio of viewers then watching BBC coverage as opposed to Sky coverage. My guess is that when viewing figures drop by half each time it is on Sky only, Bernie will only see lost money. Then seeing that is also more popular on BBC, he'll come to one conclusion....

Axe BBC coverage altogether, force more suc... I mean fans into buying Sky.

[QUOTE="SniffPetrol(Twitter)]Alleged cost of F1 rights per year: £45m. Alleged cost of moving BBC depts (including Sport) to Salford: £900m[/QUOTE]

I barely have enough interest in F1 as it is and I certainly won't be paying for a full Sky sports package to watch half the races. I'd prefer it if they cut the terrible comedy they've come up with over the last few years, every comedian seems to have a "show" now and after the first series everyone realises it's a flop so they just do it again with a different comedian.

Interesting that on the Sky Sports website it says "All Races, qualifying and practice sessions live from next season" which to me confirms it will have it's own production team as when they clash with the BBC races they can't just show the same thing.

Are you talking about the whole production or just the race? I'm sure the race section will be shared as all the broadcasters share the same feed. If you mean the build up and post race analysis, then they will definitely have different production.

It's the live action that I'm interested in (as well as the Brundle grid walk). Anyway, I enjoy my sports, subscribe to all Sky sports channels, so it doesn't bother me. Just hope the live action doesn't get ruined by constant advert breaks.

Back