F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

'During the break it started raining, championship leader Vettel crashed out everyone pitted and the grid is now completely mixed up. Don't forget to pay for the brilliant coverage at the end of the month!'

There's no way in hell I'm paying around £40 -£50 a month just to watch F1 live.
Looks like I'll have more time to myself now I won't be watching so much tv.
And the viewing figures will drop drastically, in my opinion. Wonder how the sponsors feel about that?

'During the break it started raining, championship leader Vettel crashed out everyone pitted and the grid is now completely mixed up. Don't forget to pay for the brilliant coverage at the end of the month!'
Cry me a river. Here in Australia, we already have regular ad breaks, deleyed telecasts and no coverage of practice or qualifying. You're walking around acting as if you've just had an arm cut off, ignoring the fact that there are some of us who have had to live without an arm for years and are doing just fine for ourselves. In fact, I'm willing to bet that when 2012 comes around, the coverage in Britain will still be better than the coverage in Australia.

Cry me a river. Here in Australia, we already have regular ad breaks, deleyed telecasts and no coverage of practice or qualifying. You're walking around acting as if you've just had an arm cut off, ignoring the fact that there are some of us who have had to live without an arm for years and are doing just fine for ourselves. In fact, I'm willing to bet that when 2012 comes around, the coverage in Britain will still be better than the coverage in Australia.

I live in Sydney and we get qualifying live for every race. Maybe it has something do with where you live?

You may as well have said that, particularly with the line "can't afford it, find a pub/mate for races".
No, I can't afford it and I do not have the option of going to a pub as they will be showing popular sports instead.
I don't know anyone with a Sky package that I can easily visit either.

This isn't people complaining for the sake of a few quid. 👎

May as well have (which is your interpretation of what I didn't say) is very different to actually saying that. The only reason I said find a pub/mate, was there are options, not a "tough ****", which again, was your interpretation of something I didn't say.

Most of the pubs round here have screens which show footie and other screens that are free to show what you want, then again there's not masses of interest in Footie down here. There are non-Footie pubs around and I suspect you'll find nearer the time pubs explicitly saying "F1 shown here".

Well that's a relief. Now I can go back to worrying about our broadcaster civil war.

^Well at least thats something, but its still not worth the price.

Most of the pubs round here have screens which show footie and other screens that are free to show what you want, then again there's not masses of interest in Footie down here. There are non-Footie pubs around and I suspect you'll find nearer the time pubs explicitly saying "F1 shown here".

I wouldn't count on it. I hope that does happen...but I fear it will not. Surely I would have already seen that when the coverage is effectively free already on BBC?
Maybe landlords will see it as a time to cash in when people have no other choice...but I'm doubtful many pubs will.

I don't think F1 has enough interest to give pubs this idea.

In any case, I'm not going to have an alternative anyway. Its just this sucks.

Also, don't forget the terrible commentary team who's favourite line happens to go somewhat along these lines: "The action is just heating up at [insert track here], don't go anywhere, because we'll be back after this "short" break". Add in the one hour preview show that consists of news which you would probably have already read at Autosport, all the discussion about how good Webber is (and now Ricciardo - funny how the whole commentary team's opinion of Hispania has changed now there is an Australian racing for them) and to cap it all off, a 10 minute phone call to their "roving reporter", James 🤬 Allen

Last edited:
Perhaps we are jumping to conclusions as to what "half the races" means. Maybe they are planning to show 'half of each race'...? If so, let's just hope it's the latter half, otherwise we'll have to tune into Radio 5 Live to find out who wins!

If its half of the race, LOL!

Commentator: Annd Lewis precedes to overtake Vettel and he... (Cuts off)

BBC Announcer: And now, Total Wipeout!

:scared:

This won't happen unless the F1 teams agree to it, F1 teams want season/ all races live on free to air TV.
F1 teams get what they want....

Well nice to see my TV license hasn't done much to secure F1's future on the BBC :grumpy: It's sad news but as long as the BBC will show re-runs of the races they don't show live IN FULL then it won't be too bad. Especially if its the late night / early morning ones which I rarely watch live anyway.

I also want to know about the commentary team etc, will SKY and BBC share the entire BBC team or will each have their own teams?

As the past has shown, broadcasters sharing rights (especially pay services) never works out well (Setanta and Sky Premiership Fiasco a few years back). Rest assured I won't be buying Sky.

Moot
F1 teams want season/ all races live on free to air TV.

Already in many countries around the world, particularly in Asia, F1 has always been on pay channels. I don't get where this mandatory free to air F1 claim came from.

Robin.

This is a disaster. I feel there will be a massive U-turn, it wont be accepted.

Well It's been accepted. If this was just an idea being floated I would be confident that it wouldn't happen because F1 is a sport that needs viewers, and Sky doesn't get the figures that BBC would. I assume however that the deal has been signed.

I can't believe that the teams have signed up to this idea. It won't kill F1 as an all-sky package would have, but it will neuter it.

The whole idea is ridiculous.. half a season shown live to the majority of people who won't want sky. Frankly the BBC may as well not have put a bid in at all because this probably represents worse value for money than the previous arrangement for exclusivity which they took from ITV (and got blasted for)

I'm certainly not going to watch half a season of F1, and I'm pretty against paying £20/month for yanky-doodle Americanised F1 coverage on Sky which will be vastly inferior.

Sadly this leaves me with MotoGP (which I love) and BTCC when I can be bothered to watch it. The BBC however seem pretty aggrieved at having to show the MotoGP though, and it regularly gets shoddy treatment and gets dumped if anything else considered more noteworthy is available such as repeats of Coast or a Question of Sport.

sad_face-600x450.jpg

That is all.

^Well at least thats something, but its still not worth the price.

I wouldn't count on it. I hope that does happen...but I fear it will not. Surely I would have already seen that when the coverage is effectively free already on BBC?
Maybe landlords will see it as a time to cash in when people have no other choice...but I'm doubtful many pubs will.

I don't think F1 has enough interest to give pubs this idea.

In any case, I'm not going to have an alternative anyway. Its just this sucks.

I wouldn't expect it to happen when the BBC was on as pretty much all households have BBC, it may happen. Then again, you live in a football city, I don't.

It does indeed suck, the BBC coverage is absolutely superb most of the time, just trying to be optimistic! :D

No ads during race is a good sign.

Maybe we should all write a letter of complaint to the BBC, they always make a huge fuss over some TV presenter getting 2 written complaints. I wonder what they would do with several thousand complaints over this.

That link shows a dead end home page.

I've tried to edit it, but as I'm viewing and typing from my phone, it sends me to the mobile version and I can't check it to see . If not, just Google Martin brundle Twitter.
He says he is out of contract, so freelance (biggest payer) work.
I'm sure (and hope) sky will bend over backwards to make Brundle the main man for their F1 coverage.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Not Sky! Out of all the channels! The channel with longest ad times ever known! Disgraceful for us regular F1 viewers!

I guess you don't watch much on Five then? Five uses the US model of advertising breaks - almost none between shows, but one after the cold open/open credits, one after ten minutes, one after half an hour, one after fifty minutes, one before the end credits. In a half hour show there will be two advert breaks (at five minutes and twenty minutes). And they're terrible adverts - almost all for Pikey shops and rental stores like Bright House. Most of the adverts on Sky are, oddly, for Sky.

I've always found Sky to be a terrific broadcaster. Aside from the standard "entertainment channel" fare of The Simpsons, Futurama, Stargates and Star Treks (which you either love or hate), everything they show they show as it should be shown. The football action is never interrupted (step forwards, ITV HD...) - and I imagine other sports are treated similarly - films are in one sitting and on multistart and Anytime you can watch them when you want to and even their rolling 24 hour News channel is the best of the bunch. There's no reason to suppose that they will spend so much money on F1 to treat it unprofessionally when they have such high production standards for everything else - and since F1 is practically a V8-powered, 90 minute cigarette and electronic product advertisement, there's not much need for adverts.

Of course, the usual, knee-jerk response to Sky involves expense and Rupert Murdoch (or "I'm alright, I've already got Sky"), but the fact is that they are a commercial, opt-in broadcaster. They have to do it right to turn a profit and they do (to both). If you don't like something about the channel or company, you stop paying them and, if this happens in significant numbers, they change their business model. You don't have that luxury with the BBC.

I imagine most won't willingly pay, what £600? a year for something they get free this year.

Some website brought up a comparison. They pointed out that if you take out a Sky subscription just for F1, it'll cost you £487 a year as a new customer - £610 if you go for the HD option.

For some reason they decided not to point out that if you buy a TV just to watch F1, it already costs you £145.50 in the UK and that even if you take the Sky option, this charge is put on top as the TV Licence is required to operate equipment to receive television as it is broadcast on any channel, including iPlayer live. Yes, you're paying the BBC so you can watch F1 on a different channel!

So it's not free at all. And unlike Sky, you cannot opt out of it.

Incidentally, I don't have Sky Sports and have no intention of taking a subscription for the F1.

Jake from the BBC is bizarrely trying to keep news positive by saying in effect its better news than what happened in Norway..
Ridiculous. I don't mind if he gets cut in half.

Hopefully we too in Australia will get the practice sessions, we did get them for the 1st GP though for obvious reasons.

Would be nice to score GP2 series aswell, as long as it's tucked away in a quiet pocket of a channel where the hoardes won't find it.

Back