F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

I wonder if someone has had a quiet word with the Sky crew in general and Ted Kravitz in particular - the coverage from Melbourne has been up and down pit lane, and Kravitz seems to have finally realised that there are more than three teams on the grid.

Also, the Sky introduction is better. It's not as cheesy as it was in 2015 and far less prejudicial against Rosberg.

I see Sky still think that their average viewer is Ralph Wiggum. They've spent most of the past two days complaining that the new qualifying rules are too difficult to follow.

I see Sky still think that their average viewer is Ralph Wiggum. They've spent most of the past two days complaining that the new qualifying rules are too difficult to follow.
Mainly for people at the circuit. Unless you can see the on-screen graphics it's a nightmare to know what's happening.

Mainly for people at the circuit. Unless you can see the on-screen graphics it's a nightmare to know what's happening.
True, but the conversation dumbed right down today. There was some really interesting things being discussed during FP1 and FP2, like the merits of matte paint as opposed to gloss; particularly the theory that the matte paint has a rough surface that is conductive to aerodynamic performance. But as soon as qualifying comes around, Sky assumes that everyone is brand-new to Formula One or has the IQ and attention span of a particularly stupid (but affectionate) puppy.

Channel 4's coverage was pretty good, but thats because it's literally a port of BBC's coverage! Steve Jones is an OK host. They also seem to be trying to attract a new audience in the way they are explaining things which is also good.

Because it's on a new channel they probably would want to try and get an audience who may have not given F1 a chance in the past. C4 will want to broaden and increase their audience in a way the BBC wasn't really required to do. I felt there was a slight difference in the tone of the advertising, delivery etc which is decidedly more youth and novice orientated and Steve Jones' delivery is more casual.

Im a fan of Hamilton but I laughed so hard every time the "Nico hit me" came up in the intro. I'm going to miss it.
Taken on its own, it was nothing particularly problematic - but Sky are stupidly pro-British. It came across as if they trying to cast Rosberg as the villain, completely ignoring the context of the incident. Even now they're doing it; Damon Hill just characterised Jolyon Palmer as a phenomenal rising talent when Pascal Wehrlein arguably has the better resume. That's what annoys me about Sky; they know they're broadcasting to the world, but only produce content to appeal to the Brits.

I don't really have much to complain about with C4's coverage this weekend, apart from the dubstep "wubs" when cutting to a commercial break and Murray Walker's attempt at playing "The Chain".

DK
I don't really have much to complain about with C4's coverage this weekend, apart from the dubstep "wubs" when cutting to a commercial break and Murray Walker's attempt at playing "The Chain".

Agree, a good solid start for me. I think they played it pretty safe, just mimicking the BBC style for the most part but I think they'll get more adventurous as the year goes on.

Also a minor thing but I don't know why they kept previewing a feature with Johnny Vegas so prominently, even in the opening promo yesterday.

I wonder if that's one of the things that's prompted the driver letter I referenced in the Dear Bernie thread?

Losing the sport to an entirely pay-per-view package wouldn't benefit any of the "partners", surely?

EDIT: A quick check shows that Sky with the Sports package costs (in 2016) £287 per year for a single TV, £431 for multiples. I'm lucky in having a relative with a spare Go login, I guess :)

I'm curious how many of the viewers who watch it because its free will actually then pay to watch it? Surely as a total the audience it has now will reduce? Granted they may receive more money.

This is proof that bernie does not give a flying toss about the teams, you, me or anybody else who follows f1. He saw sky's money and took it, this really will kill the sport when it goes completely behind a paywall. By then though i think a lot of us will have lost interest in the sport if it carries on in this direction.

I wonder if someone has had a quiet word with the Sky crew in general and Ted Kravitz in particular - the coverage from Melbourne has been up and down pit lane, and Kravitz seems to have finally realised that there are more than three teams on the grid.

I've never really liked Ted Kravitz's style. Not only did James Allen entering the ITV booth give us that commentary but it also opened the gate to this guy. I don't know, it's probably just me but it's like he owns the pitlane and there's a swagger to his presenting and reporting that I've just never warmed to.

EDIT: A quick check shows that Sky with the Sports package costs (in 2016) £287 per year for a single TV, £431 for multiples. I'm lucky in having a relative with a spare Go login, I guess :)
I get Sky F1 through the HD package, not sports but I don't know if that's still an option.

DK

When Alonso had his crash at ad break when they do the hashtag thing they put up #SundayDrivers against a backdrop of the incident which I thought was in pretty bad taste and was obviously done by someone who didn't have a clue!

The only good thing about the sky agreement is f1 will be shown in uhd from 2017. Who can afford sky q ? not me thats for sure !

Sky Q is the biggest joke in history, from the endless adverts they make it out to be some sort of ground breaking thing (at first I thought it was Quad HD broadcasting finally going live) but it turns out it's just content sharing across devices which was impressive.... maybe 5 years ago! :rolleyes:

When Alonso had his crash at ad break when they do the hashtag thing they put up #SundayDrivers against a backdrop of the incident which I thought was in pretty bad taste and was obviously done by someone who didn't have a clue!

Sky Q is the biggest joke in history, from the endless adverts they make it out to be some sort of ground breaking thing (at first I thought it was Quad HD broadcasting finally going live) but it turns out it's just content sharing across devices which was impressive.... maybe 5 years ago! :rolleyes:
Yes i completely agree but at the moment, it is the only way to view any sky uhd content when it eventually comes out, theres not even any dodgy boxes getting bt uhd at the moment so if you want uhd sport, you have to pay big bucks for it.

Yes i completely agree but at the moment, it is the only way to view any sky uhd content when it eventually comes out, theres not even any dodgy boxes getting bt uhd at the moment so if you want uhd sport, you have to pay big bucks for it.

Thats the thing, they can brag when the UHD content actually starts but banging on about a service which does nothing special at the moment is kind of odd. I'm sure by the time they actually have channels, others like BT, Virgin and TalkTalk will have equivalent services.

Still waiting for the day we even get all Freeview in HD :lol:

I've never really liked Ted Kravitz's style. Not only did James Allen entering the ITV booth give us that commentary but it also opened the gate to this guy. I don't know, it's probably just me but it's like he owns the pitlane and there's a swagger to his presenting and reporting that I've just never warmed to.
Allen is good as a print journalist. I think he was let down by the way live commentary requires constant talk.

As for Kravitz, everything he says is ultimately Good For Hamilton. I remember the grid at Suzuka last year, when Rosberg was slightly under the weather and Kravitz spun it as compromising his reaction times.

C4 coverage was pretty good. I didn't hear they got Ben Edwards so it was a nice surprise when tuning in.

Only problem is due to adverts and time they didn't really do much reaction/interviews after the race and can't go to the BBC website to see more stuff now.

C4 coverage had a million less viewers than BBC's highlights last year.
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/21/channel-4-grand-prix-viewers-bbc

Shame about the Sky deal. Unless £300 becomes down the sofa money, I can't see myself subbing to Sky. I agree with the drivers letter mostly.

Lastly the Sky announcement is a pretty cutting blow to the C4 coverage to come. BBC built up a good relationship which had a long run. Here we know it's see ya later on day 1, not much point in getting all cosy with you. Yes it was inevitable when BBC started to wilt on F1 but this is like staring down the barrel of a gun.

Last edited:
Back