F1GTR: From the East

• Thread starter F1GTR
  • 201 comments
Love the shot of the vase on top of the chair. Very nice. 👍

Thanks, DM, I got a bit of an Eggleston vibe from the scene and couldn't resist taking a snap.

A follow up from my last LFW post from last season, didn't get to do any backstage work this time around (SS14) but got to cover more shows. It was a very wet fashion week, so doing street style wasn't very fun, although the watching the attention seekers having to run for cover from a surprise shower was quite hilarious. It's a very surreal event to cover, the fashion world is definitely in a bubble - I often overheard conversations between tube workers at Temple discussing what crazy things they've seen as I would head back home after a day's coverage. I'll start with a bit of street style from around Somerset House and Freemason's Hall:

i0oEuGD.jpg

Vb1b3VN.jpg

MNYWvwR.jpg

xgkmVVR.jpg

0jSfcJf.jpg

jMxVdhS.jpg

That's Pandemonia, a 7ft latex doll who's apparently a man underneath all that plastic. I also saw someone dressed as a giant baby.

4JthA3q.jpg

Probably my favourite street style shot of the day, took it while I was waiting to be let into a show.

Now a few picks from two presentations/shows:

z4Npqrz.jpg

L93b2WK.jpg
YoN6oNF.jpg

This was my favourite 'show' - I was expecting the typical runway show but the designer - Natasha Zinko - mixed things up a bit by striking the runway and putting a set in place and then dotting models around the area. Bumped into the editor of Russian Vogue there too!

T52nmAI.jpg
oI8ayTf.jpg

MZvOdPm.jpg

2nZzuKl.jpg

ox5jO8Q.jpg

1wxDwY8.jpg

1brmsVC.jpg

I loaded some motion picture film in my M4 (Kodak 500T/Cinestill), quite pleased with the way it looks between ISO400 and 800, I need to use it in some night scenes though since the colour palette is very cool as it's a tungsten balanced film:

I2EjeTK.jpg

ds4IoSj.jpg

Some professional standard shots (ahem, like I would know :P), esp. of the models in your previous post... must be tough job taking pictures of lovely ladies all day! (although I am sure it actually is!). Great work :)

Some professional standard shots (ahem, like I would know :P), esp. of the models in your previous post... must be tough job taking pictures of lovely ladies all day! (although I am sure it actually is!). Great work :)

Thanks TM, it's a tiring job but someone has to do it. :P

Finally got around to developing a bunch of film sitting in the back of my fridge. These were shot over the past year or so on my M4+35/2, Hexar AF, and Nikon FM2n/F3+ Voigtlander 20mm. Film wise it's Neopan 1600 and Tri-X developed in XTOL:

nsd5iCB.jpg

She just found out that the next train was delayed. Probably by about 3 minutes, but 3 minutes of London time is a lot to some.

f3rnQMe.jpg

20mph with the 20mm

HecF89W.jpg

Packing up at the market

eK0Kk6l.jpg

Spitalfields Market. Sharp suits and dirty coveralls.

RwqvpgB.jpg

A building collapsed on a car in Holborn. Horrible way to go.

fZrnP1B.jpg

Checking up on some emails before the last trains leave Liverpool Street.

Fashion week street shots:
88w95mH.jpg

The weather didn't cooperate most of the time

fuGPRss.jpg

RD5BS8g.jpg

But the sun eventually made an appearance!

Last edited:
So many nice photos of people! Makes me want to photograph people too but they always look funny at me when I try..

Thanks! Just put yourself out there and try, perhaps with a longer focal length (something like 85mm on full frame/50mm on crop) so you get used to picking out moments on the street. It's a lot easier if you know your field of view with a certain lens as you can frame very quickly and take the shot before anyone notices. If you fiddle about for too long people tend to twig on. Walk slowly, it gives you time to pick out people, also if you suddenly stop for a shot it won't be as noticeable compared to stopping if you were were walking really quickly. Another trick I like to use is to look beyond someone so they think you're taking a photo of something behind them.

I had someone do that to me when I was at an outdoor sales "Flea Market". It gave me the creeps.

But, if you don't get faces, those are some neat shots!

Thanks! Just put yourself out there and try, perhaps with a longer focal length (something like 85mm on full frame/50mm on crop) so you get used to picking out moments on the street. It's a lot easier if you know your field of view with a certain lens as you can frame very quickly and take the shot before anyone notices. If you fiddle about for too long people tend to twig on. Walk slowly, it gives you time to pick out people, also if you suddenly stop for a shot it won't be as noticeable compared to stopping if you were were walking really quickly. Another trick I like to use is to look beyond someone so they think you're taking a photo of something behind them.

Al right that sounds like something I can work with! Thanks 👍

@F1GTR lovely shots. I really love that women in the red hat, everything for me is spot on. You've got a great eye.

You need to get yourself up north, there are too many beautiful people down south. :D

Thanks @Sprite, surprisingly that shot didn't really stand out for me when I first took it, it's grown on me since though.

Also it's probably just Fashion Week thing, I think I fell a little in love every with at least one person each day I was there. :lol:

So that fourth shot feels sublime to me, with the third being quite nice. I really can't explain why I like the fourth one so much, I just do.

I really can't explain why I like the fourth one so much, I just do.
I had the exact same feeling as well. It certainly has that special thing that leaves you admiring it for a longer time than usual.
I think it has do to with that women's upper body being completely incognito, with the added bonus of her legs creating a symmetry with the baggage trolley.

Anyway, it's just brilliant, true street photography as usual. 👍

Thanks for the kind words @Azuremen and @35mm, it's really interesting that #4 stood out to both of you - it certainly didn't when I first scanned the roll in (or looked over the negs in the shop). Really underlines the importance of showing your work to others when making selects!

Really underlines the importance of showing your work to others when making selects!
This is so true.

And that's why I now share a lot more photos than before, even if they can seem a bit repetitive. It makes for some nice surprises sometimes.

Just finished covering London Fashion Week for this season. I'll post some show stuff/colour work, but for now some of the street stuff I shot in between:

FeJxNzo.jpg

KX81BZs.jpg

X3zel5K.jpg

aubAhkm.jpg

E9zbGzk.jpg

lnZCxXe.jpg

4latFMm.jpg

Some colour work/show stuff:

gqizdeN.jpg

yXEBkHm.jpg

q4hQ5KS.jpg

KGEjuvz.jpg

Q2xDw7E.jpg

DbIbdcH.jpg

Ella Eyre, a singer that's getting famous here in the UK (not sure about the rest of the world yet):
aKZ76zb.jpg

I haven't updated this thread in a while, just got back from a music festival (Glastonbury) so here are some of the digital (Ricoh GR) snaps I took. I shot about 6 rolls of film while there too, mostly candid stuff with flash a la Bruce Gilden so it'll be interesting to see how they turn out!

AERDNWe.jpg

vJBvOfX.jpg

UU9VvRi.jpg

CioajPj.jpg

cvdGS7r.jpg

I can't believe how long it's been since I last wandered trough this thread. It's like I kinda forgot to relate your user name to your photography so it was like "F1 GTR... who is this guy?" and was like "eh" and stupidly passed it over and over and over... and then I clicked on it two minutes ago and ALL OF IT just came back pouring in full pleasure-mode. How the hell could I just miss all of this stuff troughout three years or so. Stupid.

Now I've remembered who you are, and your impossibly good eye for people. Really I was going trough the thread right now and I said "damn" so many times. I can't believe how you manage to extract... er, I don't know, moments? From people photography. Your timing is uncanny and your compositions are super-interesting every freaking time.

Welcome me back to one of my favorite threads in this forum.

Good seeing you 'round these parts @Cano! Glad you enjoyed the photos, I have loads more to post.

Really liking the flash work. What kind of film was loaded up... and this makes me want to seek out an old Canonet for cheap. Or maybe just use one of my film bodies again. Do you develop yourself or have a lab do it?

Really liking the flash work. What kind of film was loaded up... and this makes me want to seek out an old Canonet for cheap. Or maybe just use one of my film bodies again. Do you develop yourself or have a lab do it?

Thanks Cody!

Ilford HP5+, I brought my last roll of Tri-X as well but I ended up using it for daylight stuff. Developed it myself in Kodak XTOL. For flash I use an off camera cable so I can angle it more freely, my aperture is usually around f5.6-f11 and I just manually adjust my flash power. The nice thing about shooting flash on film is that it's very hard to blow the highlights which makes it easier to balance the flash exposure over multiple subjects at different distances.

Back