F2007 quandary

• Thread starter Scotracer
  • 98 comments
Scotracer
Scotracer
Ok, so like most people I've been repeating S-6 for what feels like forever and today I got the F2007 (yay!). Now, I have a few quandaries. First off...which tyres are the proper ones for the car? I tried R3 to start with as I presumed such a car would use this level of grip tyre but the car felt as if it were on rails (after playing countless other F1 mods and watching/attending countless races I can say that they aren't on rails!). I then tried S2 and they felt better.

I then looked at the Time Trial results and it seems that S2 is the correct compound as on Suzuka the times were similar to real life (but Fugi was 2-3 seconds faster). If you look in the Manual you can find the tyres recommended for each car but the F2007 is absent. Which to use?!

And then we have the power. 687BHP? That's false. I have fairly close links through my university to the F1 teams and I can confirm that nearly all the teams have engines that produce over 750BHP. Erm, what the hell?

Then we have the sound: Ew...but that's enough about that.

So all in all, my 2 million seems a little unjustified so far as the car doesn't seem to handle realistically at all.

After more "research" (fun research, I might add) I have more concerns with the F2007. I tried a Quick race around High Speed Ring. I went into Quick Tune and put the downforce to the maximum available and then started the race...to my horror I saw the speed climb all the way up to 209mph without a draft. And that'd be ok if the max downforce wasn't that high...but it allowed me to take the final turn on the ring at FULL THROTTLE.

Oh dear.

I posted a similar thread aobut the handling and was lambasted by a couple members. Some with sight and a true persepective of the handling, but some praise it as the best car, ever.

I havent tried toying with the tires yet but the off throttle handling is peculiar to say the least.

I think Polyphony may have made a few miscalculations with regards to the downforce/drag ratios. You don't have to have driven an F1 car to analyse top speeds and downforce levels. The top speeds on all the circuits in the game are incorrect. On Suzuka you can get over 200mph down the front-straight using the Time Trial setup, which still allows you to lap at the same speed as real life. The same is the case on the rest.

It's not as if the power levels are incorrect on the car, infact they're underestimated by PD. I did a few highly unscientific standing starts and the 0-60mph times are roughly 2.5 seconds (correct-ish) and the 0-100mph is roughly 3.8 seconds. So they are pretty accurate (this was on S2 tyres) but when the speeds go over 150mph the drag isn't modeled properly.

Regards,

The humble opinion of an automotive engineer.

You see... the problem with the F1 car is that unlike road cars manufactured by companies, F1 is a very secretive business. (unless you happen to "stumble" across a 700 page "build your own F2007" booklet). As such, replicating the two main wings plus all the bodywork to give "realistic" grip would be very time consuming process; especially for a car that would always be the fastest in the game anyway. Granted the HP is wrong. Getting that car to handle at all realistically would require a lot of play testing, and a general "hit or miss" approach".

If you sort your cars by horse power, the F2007 comes first with 697 HP. Is 697 HP accurate for the new F1 cars with V8 engines? Didn't the V10 cars have something between 850 an 1000 HP?

If you sort your cars by horse power, the F2007 comes first with 697 HP. Is 697 HP accurate for the new F1 cars with V8 engines? Didn't the V10 cars have something between 850 an 1000 HP?

The V8's have more than 697, I don't have the figure to hand at the moment. The V10's were getting towards 950BHP at the end of the nineties. As this was causing some concern at the time, engine capacity was reduced from 3.5 to 3 litre. Subsequently (more recently) we moved to V8's.

The current generation V8s have between 740BHP (Toyota) and 780BHP (BMW). The Ferrari lies somewhere on the upper end of that scale.

After more "research" (fun research, I might add) I have more concerns with the F2007. I tried a Quick race around High Speed Ring. I went into Quick Tune and put the downforce to the maximum available and then started the race...to my horror I saw the speed climb all the way up to 209mph without a draft. And that'd be ok if the max downforce wasn't that high...but it allowed me to take the final turn on the ring at FULL THROTTLE.

Oh dear.

Just wondering if the physics was set to standard or professional while doing that lap?

Just wondering if the physics was set to standard or professional while doing that lap?

You can only use Professional physics with the F2007.

Oh and I have found the biggest crime: The 900 degree steering remains unchanged when you get in the F1 car.......BLASPHEMOUS!

*cry*

Thats not good Scotracer, Cant wait 20 more days till my bday and see how much $$$ i get to buy a wheel (hopefully a G25 or fanatec 911t

You can only use Professional physics with the F2007.

Oh and I have found the biggest crime: The 900 degree steering remains unchanged when you get in the F1 car.......BLASPHEMOUS!

*cry*

The steering ratio is adjustable in the menu.

i personally think the F1 is the bordest car in the game to drive, yes it is fast as he**, but it is like its on rails, very easy and boring to drive, a big disapointment for my part at least, if you take a turn to fast just let go of the throttle and the car gets back on line, and oversteer is impossible, and is it just me or do you guys also experience when you drive quick straith ahead, the force feedback, pulls the wheel back and forth alle the time, very annoying, and unrealistic!! but enough ranting, the rest of the game rules :)

i personally think the F1 is the bordest car in the game to drive, yes it is fast as he**, but it is like its on rails, very easy and boring to drive, a big disapointment for my part at least, if you take a turn to fast just let go of the throttle and the car gets back on line, and oversteer is impossible, and is it just me or do you guys also experience when you drive quick straith ahead, the force feedback, pulls the wheel back and forth alle the time, very annoying, and unrealistic!! but enough ranting, the rest of the game rules :)

Try it on the reverse London track. Doing the 4th gear left-right chicane at full throttle is ****ing terrifying. :ill:

Right, I've been playing more with the F2007 and I am still not convinced. Does anyone know of an email address I can use to get in contact with PD? I would like to at least let them know my feedback/get their reasoning behind some things.

Cheers.

Right, I've been playing more with the F2007 and I am still not convinced. Does anyone know of an email address I can use to get in contact with PD? I would like to at least let them know my feedback/get their reasoning behind some things.

Cheers.
I highly doubt anyone knows how to directly contact PD, otherwise we'd all know already and they'd be flooded with questions. They need to create a feedback page for us to voice our opinions or something.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure the billion of copies pre-ordered of the Prologue alone has been enough of a feedback already for Kaz and his crew.

Newsflash, they've never given a damn about realism and they will never bother with visible damage, improved AI, clearer sound, decent online features, a bearable penalty system and all those elements that would make GT a true simulator and a far more enjoyable videoludical experience as long as the franchise keeps printing moneys at this rate.

At least half of the aforementioned elements of the game(play) have been cyclicly announced several times while each episode of GT was in production, just to end up being inexorably put on the sides right before the release every single damn time because apparently, even though the development team has been working for the largest publisher out there and on the most advanced entertaining systems on the market for the past decade, they kept being held back by misteryous and unspecified system limitations and/or unforgiving deadlines (then why couldn't they simply lower the details, the number of the cars on track or the sheer # of models in the game instead but I'm digressing), so I wouldn't get my hopes up if I was in a fan's shoes.

Kazunori Yamauchi is a friggin liar, and all of his pre-release PR'ish unsubstantial campaigning doesn't hold any credibility whatsoever anymore, wake up.

Besides, haven't you seen the reaction the fanboys (aka, 98% of this website population btw) showcased the day the F2007 was announced?

"OMFGAAHHSJKSFDBESTESTRACING SIMULATORANDFRANCHISEOFTHEHISTORYOFVIDEOGAMES!!!111one!1!"

Seriously though, with such an idiotic and hopelessly braindead audience, do you seriously feel like blaming them? I sure as hell don't.

Baah, this is gran turismo i am suprosed so many of you even care about the f1 car, and the fact it is eligeble for online time trail don't even get me started.

So you say in Game the F1 is 2-3 seconds faster then compared to same car in real life in Suzuka. The guy in real life can improve that time as well. Tell me what other Simulator makes the F1 that close to real life counterpart? And yet you complain about the Down force is all wrong, and other aspects..
As for the Vehicle Noise. Is almost spot on.

F1 setups are in HUNDREDS. Sometimes they sacrifice speed for Handling, GT has one setting that makes it go little faster then handling. But in the end, its second to second spot on comparison from real life to game.

So you say in Game the F1 is 2-3 seconds faster then compared to same car in real life in Suzuka. The guy in real life can improve that time as well. Tell me what other Simulator makes the F1 that close to real life counterpart? And yet you complain about the Down force is all wrong, and other aspects..
As for the Vehicle Noise. Is almost spot on.

F1 setups are in HUNDREDS. Sometimes they sacrifice speed for Handling, GT has one setting that makes it go little faster then handling. But in the end, its second to second spot on comparison from real life to game.

Fastest lap in real life around Fuji (2007) in a Ferrari F2007: 1:19.483 w/ Felipe Massa
Fastest lap on GT5P around Fuji in the F2007: 1:15.769 on S2 tyres

Discrepancy?

rFactor is MUCH closer to real life than GT5P. rFactor's F1 2007 MMG mod is really good and simulates every aspect of a 2007 F1 car better than GT5P. If you think the F1 car in this game is spot on you've never heard a Ferrari F1 V8 in real life (and I have, many times).

On your comment about setups and speed: Even if you set the downforce to maximum the car can still top 210mph without a draft. Explain that? The car can barely do that in minimum downforce configuration in real life (max speed at Monza is about 217mph).

Fastest lap in real life around Fuji (2007) in a Ferrari F2007: 1:19.483 w/ Felipe Massa

Discrepancy?

rFactor is MUCH closer to real life than GT5P. rFactor's F1 2007 MMG mod is really good and simulates every aspect of a 2007 F1 car better than GT5P. If you think the F1 car in this game is spot on you've never heard a Ferrari F1 V8 in real life (and I have, many times).

On your comment about setups and speed: Even if you set the downforce to maximum the car can still top 210mph without a draft. Explain that? The car can barely do that in minimum downforce configuration in real life (max speed at Monza is about 217mph).

I play rFactor. and I disagree with you.
Not going to waste time on arguing with new members.

I play rFactor. and I disagree with you.
Not going to waste time on arguing with new members.

Haha. That is hilarious. I bring a valid, factual argument to the table (both the lap time comparison and top speed comparison) and you ignore both of them and justify that fact by saying I'm a new member?

LOL...I really shouldn't have expected any less fanboyism from this forum. I came here to hopefully bring the F1 car up to the standard of the rest of the cars in the Prologue...but seems some people have got their heads too far into the sand to make this possible.

Your points are valid Scotracer, it's obvious you know what you're talking about and I appreciate the feedback/tests (I don't have the updated game yet). I'm still looking forward to driving the F2007, but it's a shame to see that it's a bit off the mark.

Haha. That is hilarious. I bring a valid, factual argument to the table (both the lap time comparison and top speed comparison) and you ignore both of them and justify that fact by saying I'm a new member?

LOL...I really shouldn't have expected any less fanboyism from this forum. I came here to hopefully bring the F1 car up to the standard of the rest of the cars in the Prologue...but seems some people have got their heads too far into the sand to make this possible.

PLease, do not make one out off all of us, i know i'm pretty unic and i doubt i'm the only one who thinks like that!

i just know now that people expected not thing less than perfection in GT series... :D you will never have arguement about tiny little thing in PGR or FORZA... :D so, going to perfection PD, i'm waiting :D

Discrepancy?

Good for you, however, this is not real life, I too have heard hundreds of F1 cars from the cockpit on TV, and guess what, thats what you're seeing in GTPrologue, and it sounds spot on.

If PD deliver a F1 car to my door and manage to get it in my livingroom and start it up, then yes the game sounds different, but i don't think they will.

"OMFGAAHHSJKSFDBESTESTRACING SIMULATORANDFRANCHISEOFTHEHISTORYOFVIDEO GAMES!!!111one!1!"

HAHAHAAH CD that is the funniest **** I have red all day long!!!. It's so true though.

Back