Fake / fantasy cars in Gran Turismo 6

• Thread starter goukipau
  • 56 comments

Do you want 'fake' cars again in Gran Turismo 6 ?

• Yes - I do not mind!

Votes: 84 65.6%
  • No - real cars only!

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • Huh, I do not know what 'fake' cars are

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters
Netherlands
Netherlands
Hi,

I personally have questions with the number of 'fantasy' or 'fake' cars in Gran Turismo lately. With fantasy/fake cars I mean the following (I can make a list, maybe later...)

Example of fake cars in GT5:
- Formula Gran Turismo
- Red Bull X2010 / X2011
- Vauxhall Astra Touring car (DTM)
- Mitsubishi FTO LM edition
- Mazda RX7 LM edition
- All new Touringcars
etc etc

These cars above do not exist in real life, I won't start the discussion on them, they don't!
Now my question to every Gran Turismo player is: 'Do you want these fake cars in GT6'?

I added a poll. Thanks for answering.

Last edited:
lets call them fantasy cars.

I think they don't add much to the game really. Would prefer having an indycar instead of the fgt for example.

Are some of those listings technically "fake" if they're based off of a real car? They're just not given the exact same name.

Not only do I want them, I want to be able to make my own. They're good cars. They're also a good way to get around license issues (see GT3 F1 cars).

The in no way lessen the realism of the game, a car does not need to exist to be realistic.

Are some of those listings technically "fake" if they're based off of a real car? They're just not given the exact same name.

Yeah well, I won't take the discussion too far, but
for example, Opel astra Touringcar (DTM) does exist, but the Vauxhall does not. It's fantasy/fake, personally annoys me, because Vauxhall never entered the DTM.

Fake / fantasy in this matter is where the car is not existing in real life, and / or under the exact same name and / or is not drivable. :)

It has to be under the same name to be acclaimed as "real"? I was primarily referring to the T"All new touring cars" bit.

I happen to love all those GT fantasy LM cars.

Agreed. To me, the fantasy cars were a cool addition. Most of them were Standard, but I didn't mind.

I've seen fantasy cars in every GT game I've played, and I bet we're going to see at least ten in GT6.

Things like the Astra/Calibra Super Touring need to get the boot, but the various PD TCs and LMs should make a return. Hopefully under the guise of Racing Modifications, as they all should have been in the first place (since I'm not holding my breath for a more progressive car modifying system for GT6).

Things like the Astra/Calibra Super Touring need to get the boot
But isn't Calibra a real touring car? In dtm in the 90's along with 155 Alfa, Mercedes 190e evo2 which are both in game. (only e30 missing :() Or did i misunderstood something?

Not only do I want them, I want to be able to make my own. They're good cars. They're also a good way to get around license issues (see GT3 F1 cars).

The in no way lessen the realism of the game, a car does not need to exist to be realistic.

This. If it saves licensing time & money for other stuff, then that can only be a good thing.

If anything, I wouldn't mind seeing more. Maybe a full line of PD production cars, with a supermini, hot hatch, sedan, coupe, truck/suv, etc. We've already got the PD karts, so why not go for broke?

VQuick
This. If it saves licensing time & money for other stuff, then that can only be a good thing.

If anything, I wouldn't mind seeing more. Maybe a full line of PD production cars, with a supermini, hot hatch, sedan, coupe, truck/suv, etc. We've already got the PD karts, so why not go for broke?

I like the lm cars

Maybe they could give it a try if Kaz feels like it. To me, it seems like a healthy way to pad out the roster if they don't overdo it.

As much as I like the X1 and the FGT, which are original PD cars, I wouldn't mind to see them model some original production cars and put them in the game.

The LMs? I'm not sure if I want to see them. If they're confirmed to be in GT6, I at least want the opportunity to take a car in my garage and apply modifications to it, hereby creating my own 600-650PP LM Race Car.

I'm not a huge fan of fake/fantasy cars, but I do want the X2010/X2011 and the TC cars that came as DLC to make a return. They're premium models, which indicates that PD could put them in GT6 without much effort.

And GT6 will need all the premium models it can get.

I just can't stand the fact, such fantasy cars are, for example, faster than normal race cars... That is so not done!

What's wrong with that? Every race car is heavily limited, even F1. Making cars faster than them isn't extremely difficult if you ignore the limiting design rules.

Getting rid of the non-licensed cars, (Formula GT) would be a huge mistake. Taking content OUT of Gran Turismo 6 is wrong. Ideally, they'd give us even more "fake" cars, like an Australian V10 Supercars Series, for example, which, though it doesn't actually share a name, (and therefore copyrights) is obviously based off of a real racing series. That's what they are doing; Codemasters owns exclusive rights to Formula One cars, so Polyphony Digital added "Formula GT" as a renamed Formula One car.

Getting rid of that is a huge mistake!

I just can't stand the fact, such fantasy cars are, for example, faster than normal race cars... That is so not done!

If they've got higher specs than ofcourse they're faster, hasn't got anything to do with being fantasy cars, you can make a fantasy car which is slower than a 2CV.

As for fantasy cars being included at all, I don't mind them even though I prefer real cars.
And even though I draw the line at ridiculous things like that Nike concept in GT4 (kinda grew to like the weird concept itself during one single day but hated the cynical marketing aspect of it), I welcome TC/RM versions that don't exist and would love more fantasy formula cars (lower tiers if possible).

The X2010/2011 is an interesting project and the fact Adrian Newey was involved (even though perhaps not as thoroughly as suggested) lends it some legitimacy or real life cred perhaps (even though I wished they'd made it from a different perspective taking into account the human element as the core starting point instead of what's purely technologically possible, basically making it potentially driveable on existing tracks for a long time by real racing drivers, even Newey admitted that probably wasn't possible).

My suggestion for the X2012 would be a complete redesign aimed at ridiculous topspeed which would possibly require a different bigger engine amongst other things, for the sole purpose of making RouteX more interesting. :D

I'm cool with them, I just hate it that the prototypes are so perfect. If we have a regular version of a car why do we have a prototype that is 5 times as good.:ouch:

PD designs one of the best-looking bodykits for some cars, so yes, I'd welcome them. If they're not going to come back, their bodykits should at least be available in a tuning shop or some kind. Then vinyls can do the rest of the work. :D

The X2010/2011 is an interesting project and the fact Adrian Newey was involved (even though perhaps not as thoroughly as suggested) lends it some legitimacy or real life cred perhaps (even though I wished they'd made it from a different perspective taking into account the human element as the core starting point instead of what's purely technologically possible, basically making it potentially driveable on existing tracks for a long time by real racing drivers

There is actually quite a lot that can be done with the X1 even if its performance remains unchanged. Planes generally have the ability to fly themselves over their limits, this includes small private Cessnas, jet liners, and fighters. However, there is instrumentation to alert the pilot when limits are approached, and sometimes computer intervention.

The X1 should have a g meter in it somewhere, not the really bad, hard to read horizontal line, but a useful one that actually goes high enough to tell you the g on fast corners. They could also add audible warnings for the car when it's nearing structure or tire limits. When the limits are exceeded, a built in computer could restrict the car's speed.

One problem people have with the X1 is expecting it to be able to act like other cars, but it doesn't necessarily have to. Huge performance can come with limitations, if not then someone would have probably tried putting a 8000 hp drag racer engine in a circuit car by now.

I'm cool with them, I just hate it that the prototypes are so perfect. If we have a regular version of a car why do we have a prototype that is 5 times as good.:ouch:

What do you mean? Prototype like concept car? Or the race car versions of road cars?

What do you mean? Prototype like concept car? Or the race car versions of road cars?

I think he means the road car like the NSX-R Prototype, which also has a race car variant. You know, the kind of vehicle that would never exist in real life. In the description for the vehicle, it states that the car was specifically designed by Gran Turismo for the game.

Between the original and the Prototype, PD and improved the overall performance of the car, adding what looks like a wide body kit, made some modifications to the interior, and tuned the engine to ~500 HP. The Karts are also fantasy cars, even though they are based off of real life vehicles. Then there are a few vehicles that look like fantasy vehicles, but

If you didn't know about the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, you might think that the GT-R N24 Schulze Motorsport does not exist. But upon watching Gran Turismo TV's coverage of the 2011 race, you'll know that the vehicle exists in real life as it won this race in the SP8T class. Then I guess a few PD employees decided to embrace this victory by putting the car in GT5. IMHO, bringing a car that we knew little to nothing about, and giving us several reason to care about it was a good business decision. I'd like to see this GT-R in GT6; and because it's a Premium Model car, it most likely will be.

But, I digress. I personally find that the original NSX Type R is just as good as it's Prototype counterpart, if not better. I think he's complaining about the difference in performance between the two cars.

Remember, in the world of Gran Turismo, anything is possible.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back