FAKE NEWS? You haven't seen the real thing yet.

Her Response:

Great analysis there.

In her recent book, Abramson noted that the NY Times has, "a financial incentive to bash the president and that the imbalance is helping to erode its credibility." She also brought up the issue of the "woke" staff wanting to ditch generally accepted standards of journalism because things were different in the Trump era. She also noted a blurring of the lines between fact and opinion within the same story. It's something I've mentioned many times in this forum, that mainstream journalism is not an objective exercise in reporting the news, it's based on money first and chasing your demographic. I wouldn't call it all fake news like Trump does but it's definitely biased and no longer objective, if it ever really was, IMO. I think Abramson would agree, at least from a NY Times perspective.

In her recent book, Abramson noted that the NY Times has, "a financial incentive to bash the president and that the imbalance is helping to erode its credibility." She also brought up the issue of the "woke" staff wanting to ditch generally accepted standards of journalism because things were different in the Trump era. She also noted a blurring of the lines between fact and opinion within the same story. It's something I've mentioned many times in this forum, that mainstream journalism is not an objective exercise in reporting the news, it's based on money first and chasing your demographic. I wouldn't call it all fake news like Trump does but it's definitely biased and no longer objective, if it ever really was, IMO. I think Abramson would agree, at least from a NY Times perspective.

She says she reveres NY Times and their tough coverage of Trump and you support that? Colour me utterly bloody astonished!

Colour me utterly bloody astonished!

:lol: No surprise he prefers the "Foxified" version over the cited opinion of the book's actual author...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/05/jill-abramson-new-york-times-trump
Guardian
In a tweet addressed to Trump on Saturday, Abramson wrote: “Anyone who reads my book … will find I revere [the Times] and praise its tough coverage of you.”

The book includes Abramson’s story of her time as Times editor, including her firing amid dramatic public fallout.

Abramson left following conflict with Dean Baquet, a deputy who replaced her as executive editor. In her book, discussion of Baquet’s choices in steering the paper includes the words: “His news pages were unmistakably anti-Trump.”

https://www.newsweek.com/jill-abram...tly-using-her-book-rip-new-york-times-1280477
Newsweek
Trump’s initial tweet came after Fox News host Howard Kurtz pointed out that an excerpt from Abramson’s book slams the publication for holding anti-Trump bias.

“‘Though Baquet said publicly he didn’t want the Times to be the opposition party, his news pages were unmistakably anti-Trump,’ Abramson writes, adding that she believes the same is true of the Washington Post. ‘Some headlines contained raw opinion, as did some of the stories that were labeled as news analysis,’” Kurtz said in a report titled “Former NY Times editor rips Trump coverage as biased”.

“What’s more, she says, citing legendary 20th century publisher Adolph Ochs, ‘the more anti-Trump the Times was perceived to be, the more it was mistrusted for being biased. Ochs’s vow to cover the news without fear or favor sounded like an impossible promise in such a polarized environment,’” he added.

But, Abramson told Politico that Kurtz took "Merchants of Truth" “totally out of context” and condemned the article as an “attempt to Foxify my book, which is full of praise for The Times and The Washington Post and their coverage of Trump.”

Although the former top editor said The Times made some “bad judgment calls” over their 2016 coverage of Hillary Clinton, she praised the paper’s coverage of Trump in light of the president’s efforts to “inflame and polarize” American citizens with his “fake news” remarks.

It's a long way from calling out "some 'bad judgment calls'" to writing off the whole non-Fox media as unobjective and untrustworthy but I can definitely see that Fox would have a vested interest in perpetuating such a narrative. There is, after all, money in spinning the truth in order to chase a particular demographic.

Last edited:
It might take less time to list what was factually correct.

IMG_20190206_165639.jpg

You want fake news everyone quickly stopped talking about?
The Covington school kid and the Empire TV show dude.
Good job race baiting national media...

I have to say I disagree with the insinuation it's kept quit. The incident was reported in belgium, it's correction came out the next day. And yesterday we got the news he (the student) is suing them for 250milj dollars if I'm correct.

Seems like fair coverage.

Edit: I was talkikg about an other situation but on this situation today a story like ik the bbc rose to say they're lookinh into the false claim.

Last edited:
You want fake news everyone quickly stopped talking about?
The Covington school kid and the Empire TV show dude.
Good job race baiting national media...
The Jussie Smollett thing isn't "fake news".

"Fake news" is when the media reports facts that are untrue knowing that they are untrue. With Smollett the media reported the incident as described, not knowing that they're untrue.

As for quickly stopping talking about it, even the BBC has published three further stories on it as Smollett's story has unravelled, with a further one today saying that the police intend to charge him with making a false report...

The Jussie Smollett thing isn't "fake news".

"Fake news" is when the media reports facts that are untrue knowing that they are untrue. With Smollett the media reported the incident as described, not knowing that they're untrue.

As for quickly stopping talking about it, even the BBC has published three further stories on it as Smollett's story has unravelled, with a further one today saying that the police intend to charge him with making a false report...
Fair enough I don't get the BBC, that said he turned himself in this morning.
Since it's not "fake news" what is it?
Does the Covington thing qualify as fake news?

Fair enough I don't get the BBC, that said he turned himself in this morning.
Since it's not "fake news" what is it?
Does the Covington thing qualify as fake news?

Imo a difficult question, one can only report based on thd information available.
So a fake newsstory doesn't automaticly mean the publisher is fake news.

If they haven't taken into account all information available at time of release I would classify it under fake news.

To be fake news you'd have to willingly spread fake news imo. Or consistently reporting wrong stories while the info is allready out.

Jussy's Hero Mullet: "Hate crimes will now be publicly met with a level of skepticism that previously didn't happen."

View attachment 801470
"Ain't I great?"

Thanks to this idiot public opinion of hate crimes has been thrown back a couple of decades. Now any rightwing outlet will use this case as a "whataboutism" or example to every future hatecrime. Essentially what infowars tried to do with sandy hook claiming they were actors.

Jussy's Hero Mullet: "Hate crimes will now be publicly met with a level of skepticism that previously didn't happen."

View attachment 801470
"Ain't I great?"
Not over here in the UK... in a very recent high profile case Vaughan Dowd was caught on CCTV spraying racist graffiti on his victim's front door and later admitted it in court. It'd take a special kind of scepticism to label all hate crimes as fake news because of Jussy's idiocy.

It's not specifically fake news but the following is definitely populist pandering:

The Scottish Sun and The Sun. Same day.

An insight as to how the power brokers like Murdoch keep a reign on things and play people off each other.

Last edited:
It's not specifically fake news but the following is definitely populist pandering:

The Scottish Sun and The Sun. Same day.

An insight as to how the power brokers like Murdoch keep a reign on things and play people off each other.

Also available in Political Image Meme Ten Complains thread :D

The Floppy Johnson headline is fantastic. I know virtually nothing about British politics, but from a pure pun perspective, I'm digging it.

The Floppy Johnson headline is fantastic. I know virtually nothing about British politics, but from a pure pun perspective, I'm digging it.
Yes, if you mock and impugn someone enough, you can get lucky and have them act out impulsively and destructively. Of the founders, Hamilton learned this best of all, shot dead in a duel he imposed on Aaron Burr.

That's how they sell their rags. Make it funny and low-brow and the man on the street will believe anything.

A pro tip from science that applies to journalism:

Do not look directly at The Sun.

Back