Fallout 4 [Tips, Tricks and Story Discussion]

• Thread starter Cole Brown
  • 120 comments

What is your Rating of the game thus far? (Giving the people wide choices)

• I don't have the game so I'm not going to rate it anything yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, you do. And if you put a few airline chairs across the doorway, that'll stop the bad guys getting in. Seriously. The only thing I've seen get past airline chairs is Brahmin. Settlers, Raiders, Super Mutants and the Sole Survivor are blocked.

This is how I stopped Settlers from rushing out and getting killed in an artillery strike.

But it won't stop bad guys spawning inside the Castle.

PS Maybe you could repair the walls with airline chairs....
Spent a good hour or two fortifying the walls at the Castle. Took a little creativity to seal a couple of the spots but it is finally complete. Only 1 way into the Castle now. If they do get in, they have to deal with about 8 turrets. :D:

I did not know bad guys can spawn IN the Castle. Interesting. I should be set for the most part. I also added an alarm to warn the Settlers if baddies appear.

I did not know bad guys can spawn IN the Castle.
Yep, that's why you should consider moving strategic resources like water and food up on the castle walls (the sea-facing side is great for this). Add a few turrets that point inward and you're good to go.

Anyway, for something completely unrelated, what's everybody's starting build? Here's my Charismatic sneaky sniper build.

3 Strength for the Armorer perk.
4 Perception for the Rifleman, Awareness and Locksmith perks.
6 Charisma for the Local Leader and Cap Collector perks.
6 Intelligence for the Science, Scrapper, Hacker and Gun Nut perks.
7 Agility for action points and the Gun Slinger, Sneak, Action Boy and Ninja perks.

This build will give you a nice long range sniper build while allowing you to expand settlements to the full potential (this requires Local Leader L2).

If settlement building is not your thing, drop 3 points in Charisma and stick them into Intelligence for the Nuclear Physicist perk. Or, on top of that drop Charisma all the way to 1 and add point in Luck for the Scrounger perk and 1 in Perceptions for the Explosives perk (I don't do the latter because I prefer the Lone Wanderer perk).

Yep, that's why you should consider moving strategic resources like water and food up on the castle walls (the sea-facing side is great for this). Add a few turrets that point inward and you're good to go.
Thanks for the heads up. I had absolutely no idea enemies could spawn IN the Castle. I will take another round of your advice and move the resources on top of the Castle. I will need to move my generators and water for sure. I have a couple better ideas for my turrets too. I really wish I could have seen what happened. I bet that was an epic battle. Or as we discussed, maybe it was simply just a couple suicide mutants.

Could do with some tips.
At Sanctuary I have had happiness at 82% for ages and I have noticed a trophy for getting 100%, any ideas how ?
I have 20 people, 25 beds, 56 food, 236 defence, 66 water and the size bar is empty, even though I have 4 big buildings all kitted out with decorations etc, and quite a few trading stands which are manned and tier 3.

Could do with some tips.
At Sanctuary I have had happiness at 82% for ages and I have noticed a trophy for getting 100%, any ideas how ?
I have 20 people, 25 beds, 56 food, 236 defence, 66 water and the size bar is empty, even though I have 4 big buildings all kitted out with decorations etc, and quite a few trading stands which are manned and tier 3.
This might help:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/fallout-4/achievement/109925-Benevolent-Leader.html

I expect that it is the same for the PS4 and PC.

Cheers.
I have looked around and this does seem to be glitched.
When the game came out there was some thinking that when scrapping items some parts would disappear, so I have scrapped them myself and it seems that this can glitch and keep the size bar low or go down. At Sanctuary it is totally walled at maximum area, there is three 2 storey buildings, one three storey, plus a power armour gallery now containing 40 frames all under cover and lit - yet the size bar is empty. I'm trying to fill the bar as people have said you need this to be two thirds full.
I think I'll give up with this as a lost cause, as I have read that others complained they cannot build after only limited building.
So here's a tip for building large settlements, drop the junk and scrap it yourself and build to your hearts content.

Edit; Out of curiosity I started a new character, went to Sanctuary, opened the workshop and the size is three quarters full.

Last edited:
That's one of the last achievements that I'm going to worry about. As much as I like the base-building feature, I find it ridiculously fiddly when you have to scrap every item individually. Picket fences in particular are downright horrible because you have to go post by post.

Still, I have got a few neat buildings, like my barracks.

I spent a good hour or two last night relocating all my items from the Castle into safer areas as suggested. Garden items are up on the walls. Turrets have been relocated, generators are all moved inside the walls and wiring has been re-routed into a higher, much more organized route. Turned out really nice. Most of the water items are also relocated on the wall or out in the water. So now if a couple suicide super mutants decide to nuke the place when they spawn in there, I should not lose anything other than a few settlers. :)

Edit; Out of curiosity I started a new character, went to Sanctuary, opened the workshop and the size is three quarters full.
As a follow up, I went around scrapping the houses but not junk items and the size bar went down to just under half.

Is it just me, or is Jamaica Plain the most useless place for a settlement? There's virtually nothing to scrap, limited space to work with, and nowhere to grow crops or place water pumps.

Likewise, West Everett Estates would be perfect for a settlement, but it's unavailable.

Is it just me, or is Jamaica Plain the most useless place for a settlement? There's virtually nothing to scrap, limited space to work with, and nowhere to grow crops or place water pumps.

Likewise, West Everett Estates would be perfect for a settlement, but it's unavailable.

I managed to grow some crops and put water along the low wall. The flat area I used for accommodation and I used the concrete floor item in workshop to build defences. But agree West Everett Estates is a better option.

But agree West Everett Estates is a better option.
I do like Taffington Boathouse. PAM sent me there to secure it for the Railroad, and it was pretty easy to fortify. I also like the mansion on the peninsula north of the airport and south of Salem, although the awkward configuration means it's better as a secondary base of operations after Hangman's Alley.

Haven't had any attacks on Sanctuary (the only settlement I bother with), likely due to the ridiculous amount of turrets.

However, I literally spent my last few hours of gameplay rescuing my settlers.

Easy experience I guess, but it's getting old.

Also have like 6 industrial water purifiers, get about 200 water bottles everytime.

Found another person who can work for you.
It's the Vault-Tec Guy from the start of the game, he's now a Ghoul and I found him in Goodneighbor.

Found another person who can work for you.
It's the Vault-Tec Guy from the start of the game, he's now a Ghoul and I found him in Goodneighbor.

The Vault-Tec rep? I think you can find him in Hotel Rexford in Goodneighbor. You have to pass some persuasion challenges though.

Argh, how do I get Danse to like me? I regularly get [Danse liked that] and [Danse loved that], but I haven't unlocked his perk.

Argh, how do I get Danse to like me? I regularly get [Danse liked that] and [Danse loved that], but I haven't unlocked his perk.
I found out the hard way. You have to do the BoS storyline, he will not idolise you by just being a companion.
Sorry I do not know how to do a spoiler alert.

Will I unlock that naturally over the course of the main story, or are there conditions that I have to meet first?

and
It is the main storyline yes.

Danse will do a runner, you have to find and kill him but you can convince him and Maxson, who turns up, for Danse to leave the Commonwealth. If your Charisma is high enough they will agree, you can then use Danse and he can get to idolise you. You have several Charisma lines to pass.

Thanks, it worked. Learn something everday, cheers.

It is the main storyline yes.
Is Deacon the same in that you can only get the highest level of affinity by completing the storyline? I quickly developed a rapport with him, but it's come to a screeching halt the way it did with Danse. Given what he has revealed to me, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

Is Deacon the same in that you can only get the highest level of affinity by completing the storyline? I quickly developed a rapport with him, but it's come to a screeching halt the way it did with Danse. Given what he has revealed to me, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

No, though doing some Railroad side quests helps. He does seem to like, if I remember, that as he is sneaky, when you hack computers and lockpick.
If you go too deep into BoS or Institute main storyline you can loose him, to be honest I think that's more end game though.

No, though doing some Railroad side quests helps. He does seem to like, if I remember, that as he is sneaky, when you hack computers and lockpick.
He likes a lot of the things that I do. He just doesn't love them. And looking at his perk, it's not one that I would make much use of.

Have you tried just talking to him, he comes out with a lot of things, probably has the most dialogue.
He says how he was an original member of the Railroad, he made comments on people I'd met, Mayor MacDonaugh being one, even being female once. He says about his continual facial reconstructions, he seems to have been everywhere.
On my next play through I'm going to try to keep a look out to spot him.

Have you tried just talking to him, he comes out with a lot of things, probably has the most dialogue.
I got there in the end. It seems as though liking and loving your actions isn't the only factor - there's a timeframe that has to pass before you hit the next stage of the relationship, and that timeframe increases with each stage. And I suspect that it's different for each companion.

I'm currently working on Curie, who is hilarious.

I got there in the end. It seems as though liking and loving your actions isn't the only factor - there's a timeframe that has to pass before you hit the next stage of the relationship, and that timeframe increases with each stage. And I suspect that it's different for each companion.

I'm currently working on Curie, who is hilarious.
Well done, didn't spot there being a time frame, nice to know.
It's only Danse that is story line based for the perk as far as I know, cannot speak about X6-88 as I still cannot find him.

Also, I broke into a house and it's full of cats with cat pictures all over the walls, and I've come across a car henge.

Well done, didn't spot there being a time frame, nice to know.
Having just gotten Curie's perk, I am more convinced of the timeframe than ever. I got one of her conversations after completing "Last Voyage of the USS Constitution" and the message [Curie admires you]. I then went and gathered as much scrap as I could to create a monster of a power armour suit before venturing into the Glowing Sea. I checked out every single location there (including the Forgotten Church - but not the Sentinel Site; it's the only one you can physically enter and so I suspect that it's a story location, so I don't want to ruin it), which took a long time, since I don't fast travel (except to circumvent the occasional glitch). In that time, I didn't do anything that Curie liked or loved, but I unlocked her perk as we were heading be the to Boston.

My theory is that there is a minimum amount of time that must pass for each stage of the relationship. Doing actions that a companion likes or loves will accelerate that time; doing things that they dislike or hate will slow it down (on one occasion, I did something - I don't know what - that Nick hated so much that he left for his office; I was doing the Drinkin' Buddy quest, and I think Buddy got destroyed by accident). But so long as you stay with a companion, you will always unlock their perk. I'm also pretty sure that the timeframe is different for each companion; it took considerably longer to unlock Deacon's perk than it did Curie's, even though I was regularly foing things Deacon liked or loved.

I'm not sure if joining another companion or going solo affects it. I don't think it does - I sent Curie to County Crossing during "Last Voyage" because I had to steal something and I knew she would dislike it, and it didn't appear to have any effect on the relationship. I'm experimenting with Hancock and Cait right now; I recruited Hancock, built the relationship up to its first stage, then switched to Cait. I'll unlock Cait's perk, then go back to Hancock.

Small non-gamebreaking issue, due to losing track of saves it seems I didn't save after talking to Preston and the other Minutemen in the diner preceding their assault on the Castle. Subsequently I did the Nordhagen settlement sub-quest which involved clearing the National Guard place, and now it's showing as a proper settlement, but to close out the quest I need to report back to Preston. Unfortunately, when I spoke to him he just wanted to discuss the plans for the castle assault, and just repeats that if I choose "not now", and won't close out the Nordhagen quest. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Reloaded from a slightly earlier point, approached Preston a little more slowly and automatically volunteered the info about Nordhagen, thus closing that out. Then Preston gives me another settlement sub-quest, but still asks about infiltrating the castle. Sheesh!

Last edited:
Lesson of the day: be careful who you assign to your supply lines - there's one "primary" settler at each settlement, and all of the missions go through them. Even if you assign them to a supply line. If you do, you will haveto track them down across the Commonwealth if you get a mission at their settlement.

Then Preston gives me another settlement sub-quest, but still asks about infiltrating the castle. Sheesh!
He will keep asking until you do. But it's a very tough mission.
You'll be going up against a Mirelurk Queen, and it's a real heavy hitter. I recommend a Gauss Rifle, modified if you can, if you want to stand any chance of survival.
It's one of the things that makes me distrusting of Preston. He keeps coming up with stuff that sounds great - "if you ask me, freedom is always worth fighting for" - and models himself after the original Minutemen, but he is naïve to the point of incompetence. When you first meet him, his plan is to pump an old lady full of drugs and hope that she hallucinates something worthwhile. Is it any wonder that the survivors of the Quincy Massacre were decimated under his leadership? Then, he suggests retaking the Castle when you're at a relatively low level, fundamentally over-estimating your offensive abilities and under-estimating the defences of the Mirelurk Queen. The journey itself is also extremely dangerous, as there are hordes of super mutants and high-ranking gunners all over the place, and I have seen the Children of Atom around, too. Preston is completely unsuited to leadership, but is blind to his faults because he is convinced that the inherent good of his cause will see him through.

Back