Fallout 4 [Tips, Tricks and Story Discussion]

• Thread starter Cole Brown
  • 120 comments

What is your Rating of the game thus far? (Giving the people wide choices)

• I don't have the game so I'm not going to rate it anything yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
@prisonermonkeys As I've just started a new character I've recently done the first encounter and Preston is the opposite about Mama Murphy and the drugs, he says that 'we've talked about this' when Mama Murphy talks of using them.
He also wants to re build the Minutemen but remove himself from all responsibility, agree he's totally unsuited and if I had the power of General I'd reduce him back to the ranks.

Preston is the opposite about Mama Murphy and the drugs, he says that 'we've talked about this' when Mama Murphy talks of using them.
He's a hypocrite. He disapproves of Mama Murphy using chems, unless it's of use to him. After all, it was the Sight that led them to Concord and Sanctuary.

He's a hypocrite. He disapproves of Mama Murphy using chems, unless it's of use to him. After all, it was the Sight that led them to Concord and Sanctuary.
He is that, he uses the knowledge she provides from the chems, whether the chems came from him I'm not sure.

sided with the Institute and done the end game, and today I actually started getting Synth checkpoints around the place, so the world does change

Want to see something that is creepy as hell?
Go to Milton Hospital. Just to the west (and north of Fallon's Department Store; it's connected to both) is a parking garage. Look for the green door surrounded by white arrows and enter ...

Got a ' help defend checkpoint' message, that's a first.
12+ raiders, 6 in Power Armour and as battle raged three Radstags decided to run through the area.

Want to see something that is creepy as hell?
Go to Milton Hospital. Just to the west (and north of Fallon's Department Store; it's connected to both) is a parking garage. Look for the green door surrounded by white arrows and enter ...
That was so epic, like being in a Saw movie. :D Some of the (in my case legendary) enemies in there freaked me out.

Witchcraft museum is a good second though, and the Massachussets state house.

Ugh, Saw. The original had an intriguing premise, if somewhat flawed execution, but after that it was just gore for the sake of gore. Where some of the writers came up with their ideas ... well, I think we're all better off not knowing.

Why did one of my settlements end its alliance with me? They were reasonably happy, had good food, water, beds and defence, and I was regularly responding to them when they needed help. I returned from rescuing a kidnap victim and everyone was grateful, but then as soon as thr conversation ended, I got the messsge [Covenant is no longer allied to you]. Does anyone know why this is?

They hate synths, so perhaps you took an option in that direction?

They hate synths, so perhaps you took an option in that direction?
Nope. For one, I'm only up to "The Molecular Level". But more importantly, I did the "Human Error" quest and the residents turned on me when I went back (I didn't agree with their methods since they had no hard evidence of a personal being a synth). So when I first unlocked the Covenant workbench, all of the settlers came because of my radio beacon.

So you wiped the original population and started with your own and they still turn on you? That sounds like a bug of some sorts.

So you wiped the original population and started with your own and they still turn on you? That sounds like a bug of some sorts.
They didn't turn on me. They're just no longer allied to me.

I Googled it, and from the sounds of things, it's a by-product of the settlement glitch. If a settlement's happiness drops too low for too long, they'll decide that they're better off on their own and leave the Minutemen.

Is it possible to get it back?:odd: The settlement glitch needs URGENT attention from the devs, it's really breaking the game for a lot of people.

Is it possible to get it back?:odd: The settlement glitch needs URGENT attention from the devs, it's really breaking the game for a lot of people.
You should be able to wipe it out and start over I guess?

Is it possible to get it back?
I don't know. I imagine that they might request help at a later date, at which point they can rejoin the Minutemen. I don't think that the loss of the settlement is actually a glitch in and of itself; rather, it's something that could happen quite normally. It just manifested itself because of the settlement glitch - I was led to believe that happiness at the settlement was actually much higher than it really was. It doesn't actually bother me too much, since I don't spend much time managing my settlements because it distracts from the rest of the game. I just get them on-board and then link them into my network of settlements so that I can use the resources elsewhere. There's only a handful that I actually care about: Sanctuary, because it was my first and largest; Hangman's Alley, because it's my base of operations; Taffington Boathouse, because that's where I station all of my companions; and Kensington Lighthouse, because I liberated it for the Railroad to become Mercer Safehouse.

I'll keep playing and see if I can get Covenant back. But the game seems to have taken Minutemen missions out of rotation for the time being because Preston is my companion. Remember what I said about Danse being a cheap date? Preston is even cheaper - I just had to agree to help a settlement and he was spilling the beans on his personal history. I suspect that the game knows this, and has kept the settlement missions out of rotation for the time being to stop you spamming them with Preston to boost your affinity.

@Paulie - I just got that settlement back on-side. It looks like I inadvertently tripped a gameplay feature; if you don't manage your settlements particularly well, they'll get fed up and leave. I tripped it because the settlement glitch led me to believe that their happiness was higher than it actually was.

@Paulie - I just got that settlement back on-side. It looks like I inadvertently tripped a gameplay feature; if you don't manage your settlements particularly well, they'll get fed up and leave. I tripped it because the settlement glitch led me to believe that their happiness was higher than it actually was.

That's good, but if it wasn't for the glitch you'd have never have had to deal with that.

That's good, but if it wasn't for the glitch you'd have never have had to deal with that.
I strongly suspect that it would only have been a matter of time before I did - my style of "management" amounts to showing up, scrapping everything in sight, and then going on my merry way. And now that I have maximum affinity with everyone (except Danse and X6), I don't need to do the Minutemen support missions.

@SJC ALPHA - I know you have been having trouble finding X6-88, but I just ran into him. He's in the Synth Retention Bureau after you finish "Mankind - Redefined".
Yes I've looked many a time, even waited about 20 actual minutes in SRB hoping he'll show up. I've been to Libertalia, Nahant Wharf, looking and waiting.
I should have the option of sending Coursers to find him or eliminate him if he's gone rogue.
To be honest I'm quite enjoying the solo play, I find companions ruin the game a bit.
There's still things I want to find out, the Hancock and MacDonough story, Mama Murphy back story etc. They probably don't exist but it's fun looking.

I should have the option of sending Coursers to find him or eliminate him if he's gone rogue.
I have noticed that of all the companions, X6 has the most trouble keeping up with me. And he struggles to follow instructions - I swear I spent twenty minutes try to shepherd him onto the elevator at the start of "Mass Fusion". I then spent most of the mission without him.

I started a new character. Already joined the railroad for the Tradecraft achievement.

Any specific order I should do these? I want to unlock the last several achievements but I want to make sure I can get all of them in one play through. I dont want to cancel one or the other by making wrong decisions. My Charisma is already at 10.

-Mankind Refined
-Powering Up
-Nuclear Family
-Underground Undercover
-Rockets Red Glare

Any advice would be appreciated. These are currently my final achievements for F4. :)

Last edited:
Holy goodness, I completely forgot about this, I'm sorry, lol.

I started a new character. Already joined the railroad for the Tradecraft achievement.

Any specific order I should do these? I want to unlock the last several achievements but I want to make sure I can get all of them in one play through. I dont want to cancel one or the other by making a wrong decisions. My Charisma is already at 10.

-Mankind Refined
-Powering Up
-Nuclear Family
-Underground Undercover
-Rockets Red Glare

Any advice would be appreciated. These are currently my final achievements for F4. :)

Your best bet is to save before doing them, mainly Man-kind Redefined. Mankind Redefined will cutoff joining the Railroad.

Here, easiest thing to do. Finish up the institute, Save before Mankind redefined. A hard save, not quick. But then after completing institute, reload before Mankind Redefined and finish up the Railroad. I personally never liked the railroad. So I never dealt with them until I had to.

The biggest turning point during these missions is where all three factions meet at the church and fight. I sort of messed up my first play-through, because I was so allied with each group, when I went to Bunker Hill, the church. Whatever it was called. Everyone was fighting each other, and wouldn't touch me. It was a stressful situation, I tried to help each as much as I could. But ended up turning on the BOS because of the **** that was pulled in Fallout 3. Then kept with the institute until I had really mixed feelings because Father was sketching me out, and I thought he was a synth so I killed him to check..boy was I wrong.

@CAMAROBOY69, @Cole Brown - You can do "Mankind Redefined" without committing to the Institute:

Shaun will ask you to take care of the Railroad, but if you go back to the Railroad HQ, you can warn Desdemona about the Institute's plans. That will trigger "Rockets' Red Glare".

You can do "The Battle of Bunker Hill" without losing your allegiance to any side, even if you turn on them. Elder Maxson will give you the benefit of the doubt and write it off as a hastily thrown-together operation, and you can convince Shaun that the Brotherhood of Steel stumbled into the fight while tracking the Railroad. I'm not sure what Desdemona will do - I sided with them - but I expect that she would accept the overwhelming numbers and firepower.

@Cole Brown @prisonermonkeys

Thanks for the replies. I have been taking notes of all the responses. I am currently working toward the Glowing Sea at level 13. At least this time I have Piper with me instead of Dog Meat so it is already going better than my first play through.

@CAMAROBOY69, I'm pretty sure that this is the order that you have to follow:

In "Mass Fusion", you have to pick between the Brotherhood and the Institute. The choice is inescapable.

There is a danger that you will lose the support of the Minutemen or the Institute in another mission whose name I forget; it's the one outside Greygarden. You have to pass a charisma check to keep the Minutemen on-side.

You should be able to work your way through "Powering Up" and "Mankind Redefined" without a problem. You can also do "Underground Undercover" at this point, but progress will be locked depending on which other missions you do.

You'll need to be careful after "The Battle of Bunker Hill" as Shaun will question you as to the outcome; you can pass a charisma check to convince him that you played no part in the rout. If you fail, the Institute will turn on you.

Make sure you finish "Underground Undercover" before you start "Rockets' Red Glare". You won't lose your allegiance to either side, but you have to be quick; there are four high-level synths that you need to take out - you'll know when - and if you take too long, others can sound the alarm, which might turn the Institute against you.

"Rockets' Red Glare" has you taking out the Brotherhood. There is an alternate mission for the Institute (but "Rockets' Red Glare" plays better), so stick with the Railroad once you finish "Underground Undercover".

You will receive "The Nuclear Option" from the Minutemen, Railroad or Brotherhood, depending on who is still friendly toward you. But around the same time, you can get "Nuclear Family" from Shaun. He will ask you to take out the Railroad.

@prisonermonkeys Thank you again. I saved everything you said so I can keep an eye on the correct decisions for each mission. I am also keeping my Charisma at level 10+ for the dialog charisma tests.
I joined the brotherhood on my first play through so I was fully planning on joining the Institute and taking out the BOS this 2nd play through anyway. Hopefully it all works out. I am keeping a lot of saves so I can revert back if anything goes wrong.

Making some great progress on my 2nd character. About 14 hours in. Level 18. Charisma is 11+. Already have Piper, Joined the Railroad, made it through the Glowing Sea, Met Virgil, destroyed the Courser, built the teleportation device, entered the Institute and met Father. Making some great progress toward those last 5 achievements. I am keeping a lot of save files too in case I have to revert back.

I personally never liked the railroad. So I never dealt with them until I had to.

Does any other faction give Ballistic Weave tech? Otherwise you have to lose carry weight by putting power armour on. It might be a crazy ability (100+ armour fatigues) but it's very helpful :D

Back