Famine's Review: Sin City

  • Thread starter Thread starter Famine
  • 78 comments
  • 3,022 views
Famine
Besides, the second thread for Sin City at IMDB is "worst film ever made"

Hypocritical to the core. Since I came to GTP, you've berated many a poster for not having credible sources. And now you use a thread that could have been started by any Tom, Dick, or Harry from IMDB, in order to back up your original point that you think Sin City sucks.

What's next, a quote from MoviePoopChute.com?
 
It doesn't really matter what site he decided to cite, the movie is garbage.
 
Any chance you can enlighten us as to what you're waffling on about now?

I'm not backing up MY point. I don't need backup. I think Sin City sucks. Hard! I was pointing 555 in the direction of a bad review, since he'd never "seen bad reviews about Sin City! It got good/great reviews nearly everywhere." - whereas the second thread at IMDB is, in fact, a bad review. You see, it helps if you read the relevant quote that the response is directed at.

I haven't actually read the thread in question either - since I'm not a member at IMDB.
 
Well, I'd hardly call anything I found on IMDB a "review," since 99% of the people who post on there are complete morons. I would no sooner look to the IMDB "user rating" of a particular movie if I were considering seeing it or not.
 
Neither would I. The point was that 555 hadn't seen a bad review, other than mine, though the largest movie database on the internet (as far as I know, at least) has a bad review as its second most-recent thread.

That doesn't necessarily lend any credence to the quality of the review...
 
Nor to its relevance. The fact that it is the "second-most-recent thread" at IMDB means nothing other than someone either started it or posted in it recently.
 
But it IS a bad review. Meaning that this thread isn't the only place on the internet where a bad review of Sin City exists. Which was the point of mentioning it to 555, who was unaware of any other bad reviews prior to this.
 
Anderton Prime
Well, I'd hardly call anything I found on IMDB a "review," since 99% of the people who post on there are complete morons. I would no sooner look to the IMDB "user rating" of a particular movie if I were considering seeing it or not.

Yea their reviews dont seem good nor their movie ratings. I only use IMDB for info on movies, never opinions...
 
Though I do post several movie reviews of my own here on GTP, they're usually more for the purpose of getting a discussion going about the movie among people who've seen it, rather than a source of information for those contemplating seeing it.
 
My favorite "movie" website is rottentomatoes.com. They have a gauge that shows the percentages of critics' approval/disapproval, and also same thing from average joe blow like us. I will go check the ratings on Sin City! :dopey:

Driftster
Hero....Wow..

I never thought I wouldn't like a Jet Li movie until hero...but..Terantino proved me wrong yet again!
I didn't like that one either. :yuck: It was extremely popular though. I don't get it.

Edit: Approval ratings from rottentomatoes.com:

Critics: 78% While it's doesn't make it a classic, the rating is pretty good.

Users: 87%
 
Anderton Prime
Hypocritical to the core. Since I came to GTP, you've berated many a poster for not having credible sources. And now you use a thread that could have been started by any Tom, Dick, or Harry from IMDB, in order to back up your original point that you think Sin City sucks.

What's next, a quote from MoviePoopChute.com?
Belaboring the wrong point to the core. You argue just like my father used to.
 
I think the problem is that AP just doesn't "get" me - which is odd, as Canadian humour isn't as far removed from British humour as American humour is.

I remember our first film-related quarrel (after he claimed that all Integra drivers were idiots in the GT3 forum), when I stated that the actress who played the Oracle in the good Matrix had died from "diabetes".

He got into such a fluster about the quotes - he thought I was being disrespectful to her ("The Oracle actress did die of diabetes, not "diabetes." Why put it in quotes? Are you skeptical or just poking fun at someone dying?"), when I was in fact unsure of the validity of the claim since, as I explained, it's not possible to die from diabetes - just as it's not possible to die from AIDS - and the coroner's report agreed with me. Cause of death was "Complications arising from diabetes". Read it all here, if you can stomach it.


It wasn't possible back then for the original-Anderton to say "Oh right, sorry. I misunderstood.", and it seems it's not possible for the new-and-improved-fluffier-Anderton-Prime to say it now. He still snatches an inference and clings to it for eternity. As I said back then, any assumptions you make from reading my posts are your assumptions and not mine - so they aren't my problem.

Still, it's good for a laugh on a quiet, weekday evening.
 
IMDB sucks for opinions but to get genral info on a film its one of the better resources on the net, one problem about movies is that some people like umm and some dont, some get hooked and some fall asleep half way through, this causes arguments in droves about all aspects of films, be it the "who is that guy?, ohh thats so and so, no its not!!!" or "why did that happen, when this happend before?"

the good thing about being a film lover is that i have big arguments over movies with friends, if we didnt then none of us would be the wiser about what happens and why it happens, or who starred in that film, to name a few arguments.

people on the net tend to find themselves having to defend thier honor as a film lover from allot of people which is a shame because petty squables block the way for real earth changing arguments, like who thinks that the LOTR's Trilogy is just an story about the love for Jewllrey and Gay Pride? or dont you think that Tom Hank's top lip is lopsided.

You both (Famine, Anderton Prime) make valid points and also make rarther silly ones too, but dont you think that if you both decided to get together and team up you could put the movie world to rights? you could argue till the cows come home but instead of a slang and rant match between you, you could settle some fundemetal and rarther important film related questions.

:D
 
Famine
I think the problem is that AP just doesn't "get" me - which is odd, as Canadian humour isn't as far removed from British humour as American humour is.

I remember our first film-related quarrel (after he claimed that all Integra drivers were idiots in the GT3 forum), when I stated that the actress who played the Oracle in the good Matrix had died from "diabetes".

He got into such a fluster about the quotes - he thought I was being disrespectful to her ("The Oracle actress did die of diabetes, not "diabetes." Why put it in quotes? Are you skeptical or just poking fun at someone dying?"), when I was in fact unsure of the validity of the claim since, as I explained, it's not possible to die from diabetes - just as it's not possible to die from AIDS - and the coroner's report agreed with me. Cause of death was "Complications arising from diabetes". Read it all here, if you can stomach it.


It wasn't possible back then for the original-Anderton to say "Oh right, sorry. I misunderstood.", and it seems it's not possible for the new-and-improved-fluffier-Anderton-Prime to say it now. He still snatches an inference and clings to it for eternity. As I said back then, any assumptions you make from reading my posts are your assumptions and not mine - so they aren't my problem.

Still, it's good for a laugh on a quiet, weekday evening.
This whole thing with Anderton is just... petty.

You don't need to win every argument, and stress about it forever until you get "closure" (god I hate that word). Just forget about it. 👍
 
I think the main obstacle standing in the way of Famine-Anderton harmony is that I cannot seem to read your comments as you intend them to be read. I have a hard time understanding when you are being funny / sarcastic because of the fact that we are not talking in person. I'm sure if we had met in a personal, face-to-face arena, we would have hit it off.

On the other hand, you have frequently taken up arms in response to my own brand of humour, a prime example of which was the Integra drivers argument. Can't a person be pissed off with 90% of Integra drivers he's ever come into contact with and make a conscious decision to be wary of ALL Integra drivers?
 
Anderton Prime
I think the main obstacle standing in the way of Famine-Anderton harmony is that I cannot seem to read your comments as you intend them to be read. I have a hard time understanding when you are being funny / sarcastic because of the fact that we are not talking in person.

That's a given - and I do try to make allowances for this.

Anderton Prime
I'm sure if we had met in a personal, face-to-face arena, we would have hit it off.

Whoah there, tiger! :lol:
 
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you or anything, I was just saying you'd probably like me better if we hadn't first encountered each other in cyberspace. You must understand that "Anderton Prime" is simply a persona I use online, and while it does represent me in a way, it is not really a clear representation of me as a person.
 
Come on ladies, kiss and make up :sly:
 
Back