Fanatec and Forza5

• Thread starter katpeeler
  • 71 comments
If I was Fanatec I would say "well it's been nice knowing you Microsoft".

I think Fanatec would do just fine making wheels for PC and Playstation owners.

I can't imagine many business plans that call for fewer sales and less profit.

I can't imagine many business plans that call for fewer sales and less profit.

I can't imagine a Console that is more about multimedia than gaming,but the Xbox One does that. That's a whole different discussion so I won't say no more.

Just from what I gather about these new wheels that Microsoft are boasting about,it's like they are purposely trying to push Fanatec out.

If you was a company that felt like you were being pushed out,but Microsoft says well if you comply with the new rules you are allowed to stay in. What would you do? Would you spend more money than you need to make this new product just to stay in,or would you stick with Sony and PC who are basically saying nothing is changing over here so your wheels will continue to work. I would stick with the company who is willing to work with me. This way you can focus on continuing to make your great products without having to spend more money than you need to. 👍

I can't imagine a Console that is more about multimedia than gaming,but the Xbox One does that. That's a whole different discussion so I won't say no more.

Just from what I gather about these new wheels that Microsoft are boasting about,it's like they are purposely trying to push Fanatec out.

If you was a company that felt like you were being pushed out,but Microsoft says well if you comply with the new rules you are allowed to stay in. What would you do? Would you spend more money than you need to make this new product just to stay in,or would you stick with Sony and PC who are basically saying nothing is changing over here so your wheels will continue to work. I would stick with the company who is willing to work with me. This way you can focus on continuing to make your great products without having to spend more money than you need to. 👍
Having run my own business before, I would choose whichever path would allow me to grow my business the most. To ignore the millions of people that will purchase an Xbox One would be business suicide.

Everyone is so quick to blame Microsoft on this but there are two side to the story. I've seen some interesting rumours regarding the Fanatec and Microsoft licensing from Forza 4. I won't get into the rumors because I have no knowledge if they are true or not. The stuff I've seen if true would make sense add to why Fanatec isn't offering a wheel for the new console yet.

As for supporting old hardware they've never done that on a new platform so it was never wise to expect them to now. Looks like we will have a great wheel offering out the gate for X One and I'm sure there will be a lot more to come.

Everyone is so quick to blame Microsoft on this but there are two side to the story. I've seen some interesting rumours regarding the Fanatec and Microsoft licensing from Forza 4. I won't get into the rumors because I have no knowledge if they are true or not. The stuff I've seen if true would make sense add to why Fanatec isn't offering a wheel for the new console yet.

As for supporting old hardware they've never done that on a new platform so it was never wise to expect them to now. Looks like we will have a great wheel offering out the gate for X One and I'm sure there will be a lot more to come.

Did Fanatec make it so their old wheels weren't compatible with the new xbox? No, that was microsoft's decision. That's why everyone is blaming microsoft. I have no brand loyalty to either company. If either produce a product that I want at a price that I can accept, I'll buy it. Microsoft has decided to price themselves out of my range. That's Microsoft's fault not Fanatec's. They haven't come up with one justifiable reason to make the old wheels incompatible. It comes off as a money grab. That's their prerogative. It's my prerogative not to buy their stuff.

And if you're not going to tell us the "rumors" then don't mention them at all.

Well the "Rumor" is that they have never paid their licensing fees and owe a lot of money. Now again don't know if their true or not but it would make some sense if they aren't being included in the next gen.

Now Microsoft has made some new claims on forcefeedback tech. Wether or not those are true or legit none of us really knows as it's all speculation. We had a 7 year run with the old Xbox wheels and tech. It's not crazy to change to a new format going into a new generation that will be around for another 7-8 years.

Now I can fully understand the letdown if you've recently purchased a Fanatec wheel. I guess we'll see what comes out in the near future. Everything is pointing to FM5 being the best console racer by far so I'm pumped. I'm sure I'll get the PS4 whenever GT7 comes out but till then I'll stick with Xbox as they've always been a superior live gaming system with Xbox Live.

Last edited:
there is no use in putting the blame to any one company in particular.
if we need to blame someone we might as well add Motorola to the list.
after all it was Motorola who owned some of the wireless connectivity protocols that Microsoft had paid royalty fees on and then back in 2010 Motorola decided to raise the fees. this resulted in both of them going back and forth in court to try and aleviate all these problems. the result was almost the end of the Xbox360 sales in north america.
so after 7 years Microsoft was forced to go ahead and develop there own wireless protocols and implement them in the Xbox one which is better for all of us.
people need to realise that the new console has been in development for about 4 years now and Fanatec has known about this for quite a while which had left them plenty of time to start development of a new wheel. there are several other factors that resulted in no new wheel from them. and unless Microsoft`s rules for wireless connectivity are met they will not be allowed to have a certified product to work with the Xbox one

For me it's a deal breaker; my only reason for choosing a Xbone would be FM5 but i'm not gonna waste a 300 € investment on a decent fanatec wheel if FM5 isn't compatible with it.
Therefore they would force all fanatec owners to go for a PS4 next gen.

For me it's a deal breaker; my only reason for choosing a Xbone would be FM5 but i'm not gonna waste a 300 € investment on a decent fanatec wheel if FM5 isn't compatible with it.
Therefore they would force all fanatec owners to go for a PS4 next gen.

There's no guarantee that Fanatec will work on PS4. I know they've confirmed the T500 but I believe the Fanatec stuff is still not confirmed. It also emulates G27 wheels which are being discontinued by Logitech. I hope for the sake of the Fanatec guys that they do work but I think we'll have to see.

Latest I read is the Thrustmaster will also be pc compatible. As for the ps4 no idea but if the new wheel for xbone is all platform compatible like the Fanatec was it will be a huge plus imo! Will wait for others to test out the xbone and the wheels before I decide if it is worth the jump. Till then it's Fanatec and FM4 and GT6 for me.

Back