Fanatec CSL DD: Entry Level, $350 Direct Drive Wheel

As above, Mclaren rim cannot be used with this base according to the fanatec site and you'd also need pedals, so we're up to 801 euro + VAT.
801 euro is 690 GBP + VAT = 828, not including shipping or duty. Its going to be cheaper to buy from the UK site.

I didn't say it was an entry level gear wheel, what I said was if fanatec want a slice of the logitech/thrustmaster market then'd need a product thats around half that price to tempt people away. £1000 is firmly still enthusiast level spending.

The McLaren is a CSL wheel. The CSL DD is compatible with all the steering wheels shown on the site.

As above, Mclaren rim cannot be used with this base according to the fanatec site and you'd also need pedals, so we're up to 801 euro + VAT.
801 euro is 690 GBP + VAT = 828, not including shipping or duty. Its going to be cheaper to buy from the UK site.

I didn't say it was an entry level gear wheel, what I said was if fanatec want a slice of the logitech/thrustmaster market then'd need a product thats around half that price to tempt people away. £1000 is firmly still enthusiast level spending.

maybe some reading glasses are needed ;)

Last edited:
As above, Mclaren rim cannot be used with this base according to the fanatec site
This is a paste of the compatibility of the CSL DD Wheelbase, please note the section where it says compatible with Fanatec CSL steering wheels!
Peripherals
The CSL DD is compatible with:

• Fanatec Podium Steering Wheels
  • Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheels
  • Fanatec CSL Steering Wheels
  • All Fanatec Pedals (adapter cables might be required on pedals without RJ12 connection)
  • Fanatec ClubSport Shifters (including ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles)
  • Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1 and V1.5
  • Fanatec RennSport Cockpits
  • ClubSport Table Clamp V2
  • CSL DD Table Clamp
  • Boost Kit 180
  • Podium Mounting Brackets (the CSL DD includes M6 T-nuts for side-mounting; the Podium Mounting Brackets require the use of M6 bolts and washers)
This was a paste from the wheel image, please note that it is listed as a CSL Elite steering wheel, this really is not difficult or rocket science the wheel WILL work with the new DD wheelbase!

Base: 350€
Pedals: 80€
Cheapest Wheel (McLaren v2 or WRC): 200€

That makes it 630€ for the cheapest full-bundle-option atm, not 801€.

And 630€ imo is very competetive when you see what you get. Dont think there will be a cheaper Base as Fanatec stated they will only make DD wheels in the future where the CSL DD is their entry level option. From there its only going up with price for a future ClubSport DD etc.
What potentially could make a bundle cheaper would be a new entry level steering wheel below the current CSL Elite wheels. Maybe we see some non-Elite CSL wheels for around 100-150€ in the future which would make the whole bundle even more entry-level as it currently already is...

Dont think there will be a cheaper Base as Fanatec stated they will only make DD wheels in the future where the CSL DD is their entry level option. From there its only going up with price for a future ClubSport DD etc.
I agree, my guess is Fanatec will do away and discontinue the Podium DD1 and replace that with a 12-15nm range Clubsport offering in the $900-$1000 price point that will give them,
CSL 5nm $375
CSL 8nm $500, I look for a slight increase in the CSL DD price wise after the initial introduction period.
Clubsport-$800-$1000
Podium DD2 $1400-$1500
Add in one CSL and one podium somewhat higher price wise Sony compatible bundle that the only difference will really be the compatibility chip and they cover the entire price point and product range with 6 sku numbers.

If all CSL wheels are compatible, then by definition all CSL Elite wheels are too, since CSL Elites are still CSLs, technically.

If all CSL wheels are compatible, then by definition all CSL Elite wheels are too, since CSL Elites are still CSLs, technically.
. If you read Dom’s answer, he said compatible with all wheels on the site, P1 is not shown on the site,but alot of people who bought csl elite bases including me have this wheel

Last edited:
. If you read Dom’s answer, he said compatible with all wheels on the site, P1 is not shown on the site,but alot of people who bought csl elite bases including me have this wheel
The P1 is still a CSL Elite wheel. If your wheel works with any current CSL, Clubsport or Podium wheelbase it will still work with the new DD.
My McLaren v1 wheel is not a current production model and still on the site but will work with the new CSL DD.

Last edited:
The P1 is still a CSL Elite wheel. If your wheel works with any current CSL, Clubsport or Podium wheelbase it will still work with DD1.
My McLaren v1 wheel is not a current production model and still on the site but will work with the new CSL DD.
. I have the v1 McLaren wheel as well but it has a Clubsport adapter, my p1 has the old system which requires a bolt,but cannot be upgraded, hence my concern of more hidden expenses if I have to change to the WRC wheel which is the new version

. I have the v1 McLaren wheel as well but it has a Clubsport adapter, my p1 has the old system which requires a bolt,but cannot be upgraded, hence my concern of more hidden expenses if I have to change to the WRC wheel which is the new version
I also have the Playstation version of that wheel and the QR system on the new dd wheelbase is the exact same as what is on the current wheelbase, again it will work with its original bolt design as it works on the current wheelbase.

I also have the Playstation version of that wheel and the QR system on the new dd wheelbase is the exact same as what is on the current wheelbase, again it will work with its original bolt design as it works on the current wheelbase.
That’s great to know,Thanks for clarifying,I couldn’t see from the videos

That’s great to know,Thanks for clarifying,I couldn’t see from the videos
Do not pay attention to the videos where they are testing pre production models as they state that the pre production models are not the exact same as the release units will be.
But Fanatec has made it plain that it will release with the current QR system and all wheels that work with current wheelbases will be compatible with the CSL DD.

I finally got the email yesterday. It's just a matter if I want to jump on it or not. Plus I don't think I really need the power booster. I think the lower powered base would be fine but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Last edited:
I finally got the email yesterday. It's just a matter if I want to jump on it or not. Plus I don't think I really need the power booster. I think the lower powered base would be fine but that doesn't seem to be an option.

The base wheel (5Nm) should be available to pick from this page

Last edited:
Wasnt the csl elite p1(ps4) wheel quite cheap on its own when it was available in the past? 100-130$ if I recall? There must be a new version replacing it for a ps4/5 dd.
Cant wait to find out!

Speaking of the Quick-Release, I wonder if there's any plans to have a metal-based version of the new one out soon as an individual item. It's the one flaw I see with the WRC wheel, as there’s flex at the point where the wheel connects to the shaft.

As for the CSL DD, I had a look last night in the website and it seems delivery would be in November.

The base wheel (5Nm) should be available to pick from this page

Thanks for the link.

However as I was almost ready to jump in on the deal I thought I might better contact GT Omega to see if they had determined it would fit on my current portable stand. I heard back from them this morning that they strongly advise NOT to use any DD wheel base on a portable stand because even with the FFB turned all the way down it would be extremely unstable. So I guess this leaves me out and still on the V2 base.

Thanks for the link.

However as I was almost ready to jump in on the deal I thought I might better contact GT Omega to see if they had determined it would fit on my current portable stand. I heard back from them this morning that they strongly advise NOT to use any DD wheel base on a portable stand because even with the FFB turned all the way down it would be extremely unstable. So I guess this leaves me out and still on the V2 base.

This new CSL DD wheel is no more powerful from a ffb power viewpoint than a belt driven CSL OR CSW wheelbase.
If the wheelstand can be used with either of those previous models it should be fine to use with the CSL DD.
Remember we are only talking 5- 8nm output ( roughly the same as the CSW belt drive unit) versus the 20-25nm output of the big boy DD wheels!
Also size wise the new CSL DD motor is no where near as large and heavy as the DD1 OR 2 units.

Last edited:
I heard back from them this morning that they strongly advise NOT to use any DD wheel base on a portable stand because even with the FFB turned all the way down it would be extremely unstable.
Actually the more I think about it is sounds really like you got a response from someone in the customer service department at Omega GT that is not up to date on this new product being released by Fanatec and going by prior DD products on the market in their reply.

But the actual reasoning in their answer is probably..................
Another possibility is since again the company has not been able to get a sample of the new CSL DD to do any in house testing with they are taking the safe CYA approach and not recommending its use for liability reasons.

Again regardless I still think that any unit or rig that was capable of handling a CSW beltdrive unit will handle this CSL DD just as well.

GT Omega Apex wheel stand with a Fanatec Podium DD1 wheel on it.

He concludes, up to 8nm, the Apex should be just fine for a direct drive wheelbase. Above that Flex becomes an issue.

I was considering an Accuforce Pro V2 as an upgrade wheel base. I ended up scrapping that idea because of the wheel bases weight and complexity in setup. I don't mind wrestling with the stand and a heavy wheelbase. Its the power connections that had me worried. And I would have to mount the AF's control box to the stand.

Fanatec announced the CSL DD, and at its strongest, it won't cause the Apex stand to flex a lot, or at all. It's pretty portable, and it only weighs 7 more pounds than the wheel I'm replacing. It practically screams "wheel stand approved". If I had the older wheelstand, I would have no qualms about using the CSL DD on it. Especially at 5 or even 8Nm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.

Don't worry your portable wheelstand will be strong enough. 5 Nm is 5 Nm, whether it's a DD or a belt/gear-driven wheelbase.
BTW, Fanatec sells a table clamp for the CSL DD which means that it is not strong enough to destroy wheelstands/cockpits.

Fanatec sells a table clamp for the CSL DD which means that it is not strong enough to destroy wheelstands/cockpits.
Great point that no one else has brought up as a good indicator as I believe the clamp is even made out of plastic.

Back