Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
Simracinggirl said in her review that she felt the transducer was unnecessary for her because she has a Buttkicker which accomplishes the same thing (the Buttkicker is a transducer but intended for your seat rather than your wheel). So there is such a thing on the market that you can use with any wheel. But I don't think it works with any console games, nor do I expect that it ever will.

Yep . The LC brakes and the transducer really went head to head in the decision making process.
If having complete control of the vehicle is as high a priority for you as it is for me, then you definitely made the right decision. For me, immersion is more about having control, and I could feel the difference immediately.

PS: Here's hoping Fanatec can design a transducer add on for future use. I'm still very intrigued by it, but was more intrigued by realistic braking possibility.

Some of our ClubSport steering wheels like the BMW, Formula or 918 wheel have vibration actuators on the wheel and they can be supported by the game developers on PS4 as well.

Simracinggirl said in her review that she felt the transducer was unnecessary for her because she has a Buttkicker which accomplishes the same thing (the Buttkicker is a transducer but intended for your seat rather than your wheel). So there is such a thing on the market that you can use with any wheel. But I don't think it works with any console games, nor do I expect that it ever will.
Yes I was thinking about what she said too, but you have to be careful not to think they are the same thing. A butt kicker is much more accurate because the (simulated) road vibration is connected directly to the seat. Tm s version attempts to give the same effect at essentially the steering column which produces the side effect of too much vibration in the wheel because its just so close to it. Im pretty sure if she really liked it she would have at least said it was a great compliment to her buttkicker but she was being nice by saying she didn’t need it. She may very well have been as annoyed by it as I was. If you really watch that review she is not crazy about the tgt at all and I agree with everything she said about it. If I ever get to the point where I want that effect, I am going to want it to come from the seat, not the wheel base.

Last edited:
Some of our ClubSport steering wheels like the BMW, Formula or 918 wheel have vibration actuators on the wheel and they can be supported by the game developers on PS4 as well.

Is it possible to work that into a base instead of a specific wheel? Or would that vibration feel weird coming from the base? It feels fine on my Fanatec CSR (I know old gen.) but I'm not sure where the vibration motors are.

Yes I was thinking about what she said too, but you have to be careful not to think they are the same thing. A butt kicker is much more accurate because the (simulated) road vibration is connected directly to the seat. Tm s version attempts to give the same effect at essentially the steering column which produces the side effect of too much vibration in the wheel because its just so close to it. Im pretty sure if she really liked it she would have at least said it was a great compliment to her buttkicker but she was being nice by saying she didn’t need it. She may very well have been as annoyed by it as I was. If you really watch that review she is not crazy about the tgt at all and I agree with everything she said about it. If I ever get to the point where I want that effect, I am going to want it to come from the seat, not the wheel base.

Well , I don't know how the TM implementation works , but a traditional buttkicker is just a tactile low frequency speaker. I imagine either that the GT/TM implementation is more discrete in nature, where specific signals are sent to it similar to how native surround sound works. On that note , the surround mix in GTS is VERY impressive, which makes me wonder if the transducer simply gets its signal from an LFE channel.

Interesting. Are there any games on PS4 using this to your knowledge?

Well , I don't know how the TM implementation works , but a traditional buttkicker is just a tactile low frequency speaker. I imagine either that the GT/TM implementation is more discrete in nature, where specific signals are sent to it similar to how native surround sound works. On that note , the surround mix in GTS is VERY impressive, which makes me wonder if the transducer simply gets its signal from an LFE channel.
It has a low frequency speaker attached to the base. And quite subtle in nature. But apparantly excessive for some. The problem is a buttkicker will run without software (simvibe on pc) on console controlling it and will use the regular sound output of the game through an amplifier. So the effects will depend on the soundmix of the games. Also the PS4 doesn’t support multi channel output so if you use usb headphones or BT headphones you can’t use both.

I can’t confirm, but GT sport specifically outputs a frequency through usb to create the effect. But I don’t know if the frequency is at all connected to the games LFE channel or a specific tweaked signal by polyphony without a separate amplifier. Very interesting technology nonetheless. But again it’s not for everyone I have found out.

Would be amazing if a manufacturer would bring out a buttkickerlike standalone transducer that uses Bluetooth and doesn’t need an separate amplifier. Which I didn’t think was possible before.

Last edited:
How do these work in supported games? I always assumed they worked similar to the DualShock in controllers? Do they amplify certain fx? (Curbs, contact with others etc.) Or do they is it a constant effect simulating road feel? I am a big fan of the current Fanatec formula rim. And are there currently any games which support the feature?

Last edited:
You actually can!
On pc however you have software which can tweak the effect. On console it is possible to use It by connecting it to the sound output from the game. However it needs some tinkering since the PS4 doesn’t support multiple channels.

After about two years of using a T300, which worked perfectly, I think I'm ready for promotion to the major league.
My primary racing engine is a PC and now and then use a PS4 for GTS. I will do some extra 'research' and watch and read all the good content available on the world wide web. I'm new to Fanatec so if the below questions are to 'easy' don't forget I'm just a noob/newbie :)

My thoughts: Fanatec CSL Elite + the BlackFriday deal inverted Clubsport V3 pedals + Fanatec SQV1.5 shifter (?)

My questions:

- Do I need the CSL Elite starter kit for PS4 (which comes with CSL Elite pedals) or can I choose the Elite base with any rim I like and that also works both on PC and PS4? Or is the PS4 Elite base the "upgraded" one and comes close to the 2.5? It seems I cannot select only the wheel base for PC/PS4. Right? My preference is only select the PC/PS4 wheel+rim and not the bundle that comes with the pedals. I don't needs these because I will buy the Clubsport V3. Or better choose the 2.5 base?

- I already have a TH8-A shifter which I only use on PC via direct USB connection to PC. Do I need the Fanatec shifter as well to work together with the clutch pedal? Or does anyone have good arguments to upgrade this shifter as well. My ears are willing to listen to good reasonable pros (and cons) TH8-A vs SQV1.5

- Any other suggestion is more then welcome. Although my daily job is also sales in IT....I still need a very good convincing you cannot refuse story telling book or chapter so also my wife moves her head vertically in stead of horizontally ;)

Off topic:-ish I also want to replace my Playseat for again a 'higher-level' rig and without a midpost between my legs.
Rseat, GT Omega, NextLevelRacing. Anyone familiar with OpenSimRigs.com ? Vesaro does not go well together with my wallet.

Thanks for your suggestions, support and reading this long post.

After about two years of using a T300, which worked perfectly, I think I'm ready for promotion to the major league.
My primary racing engine is a PC and now and then use a PS4 for GTS. I will do some extra 'research' and watch and read all the good content available on the world wide web. I'm new to Fanatec so if the below questions are to 'easy' don't forget I'm just a noob/newbie :)

My thoughts: Fanatec CSL Elite + the BlackFriday deal inverted Clubsport V3 pedals + Fanatec SQV1.5 shifter (?)

My questions:

- Do I need the CSL Elite starter kit for PS4 (which comes with CSL Elite pedals) or can I choose the Elite base with any rim I like and that also works both on PC and PS4? Or is the PS4 Elite base the "upgraded" one and comes close to the 2.5? It seems I cannot select only the wheel base for PC/PS4. Right? My preference is only select the PC/PS4 wheel+rim and not the bundle that comes with the pedals. I don't needs these because I will buy the Clubsport V3. Or better choose the 2.5 base?

- I already have a TH8-A shifter which I only use on PC via direct USB connection to PC. Do I need the Fanatec shifter as well to work together with the clutch pedal? Or does anyone have good arguments to upgrade this shifter as well. My ears are willing to listen to good reasonable pros (and cons) TH8-A vs SQV1.5

- Any other suggestion is more then welcome. Although my daily job is also sales in IT....I still need a very good convincing you cannot refuse story telling book or chapter so also my wife moves her head vertically in stead of horizontally ;)

Off topic:-ish I also want to replace my Playseat for again a 'higher-level' rig and without a midpost between my legs.
Rseat, GT Omega, NextLevelRacing. Anyone familiar with OpenSimRigs.com ? Vesaro does not go well together with my wallet.

Thanks for your suggestions, support and reading this long post.

You can buy the csl elite ps4 with rim separate. Go to advanced or professional on Fanatec website. If you play pc primeraly the v2.5 is higher build quality. It is their current flagship wheel. You can buy a drive hub for use on ps4. The csl elite is fully ps4 licensed, but please read the blog on Fanatec website on current supported games.

If you switch between seq. And h pattern a lot it might be worth upgrading. On pc you might just get it and use th8a as a handbrake? It mostly depends if you are satisfied with the th8a.

I would recommend doing good research on which rig will fit the inverted v3. They seem like a very specific fit.

Did you try to adjust the drift mode? Mine never shook on center like you describe once drift mode was set as described above

The issue was introduced with GT Sport v1.05. Which had updates specific to the G29. Wasn't happening before that. Which drift mode settings are you using? I am on -05 and still seeing the issue. I realize they are working on it so not really that worried but would be cool if there is a way that minimizes it.

You can buy the csl elite ps4 with rim separate. Go to advanced or professional on Fanatec website. If you play pc primeraly the v2.5 is higher build quality. It is their current flagship wheel. You can buy a drive hub for use on ps4. The csl elite is fully ps4 licensed, but please read the blog on Fanatec website on current supported games.

If you switch between seq. And h pattern a lot it might be worth upgrading. On pc you might just get it and use th8a as a handbrake? It mostly depends if you are satisfied with the th8a.

I would recommend doing good research on which rig will fit the inverted v3. They seem like a very specific fit.

Thanks @PocketZeven : As a Fanatec newbie I was afraid to push the <Go Professional> button. Price difference between with/without basic pedals is just €20. So better go for the bundle to have extra pedals as spare or sell them seperately. Those Germans know how to market their products and please their (potential) customers 👍.

Never use sequential shifting. Only H pattern or paddle shift. TH8A will do then as it is still functioning well together with the Ricmotech mod ring.

Yep with regards to the rig I noticed not all of them are 'out-of-the-box Fanatec pedals ready'. Will do some extra research.

Yes. Which is why one would want those sensations next to the bigger parts of your body and not right next to your hands. Thank you.

Last edited:
The issue was introduced with GT Sport v1.05. Which had updates specific to the G29. Wasn't happening before that. Which drift mode settings are you using? I am on -05 and still seeing the issue. I realize they are working on it so not really that worried but would be cool if there is a way that minimizes it.
Yes. The neg 05 setting is what I was referring to. I only have a few hrs on my new csl on gts, pc2 and corsa, so maybe I just haven’t seen the issue yet. Maybe I didn’t get much over 150 mph as you said earlier, but I did play in blue and purple modes without issue. After my firmware update, the neg side of my drift setting seemed to go away in the menu though, (the menu just showed off and 1-5) which was curious, but still no problems driving. I’m wondering if firmware was installed just prior to shipment now that took care of it. I saw a fanatec note somewhere in blog or manual mentioning units shipped post sept 17? And yes, I do have 1.05 since my ps4 updates are set to auto.

Last edited:
You actually can!
On pc however you have software which can tweak the effect. On console it is possible to use It by connecting it to the sound output from the game. However it needs some tinkering since the PS4 doesn’t support multiple channels.
That sounds pretty cool. What kind of ps4 audio tinkering are we talking about? Do tell.

Last edited:
That sounds pretty cool. What kind of ps4 audio tinkering are we talking about? Do tell.
I do not own a setup but I researched it a few years ago. At the time I decided it would require too much wiring going through my living room I give up. You have to split the sound through by either using the optical signal, hdmi audio extractor or using the tv headphone jack. Problem is you won’t be able to use usb wireless headphones. (PS4 doesn’t support multi channel audio) Buttkicker has its own amplifier which will require the PS4 sound output from either one of the above channels. The amplifier also requires its own power supply. And there is another wire that goes to the buttkicker unit. And if you play with headphones. (Like I prefer) you will need to wire connect to the tv. A whole lot of extra cable management around the tv. If you have a dedicated simracing setup this is much more worth it though.

Thanks @PocketZeven : As a Fanatec newbie I was afraid to push the <Go Professional> button. Price difference between with/without basic pedals is just €20. So better go for the bundle to have extra pedals as spare or sell them seperately. Those Germans know how to market their products and please their (potential) customers 👍.

Never use sequential shifting. Only H pattern or paddle shift. TH8A will do then as it is still functioning well together with the Ricmotech mod ring.

Yep with regards to the rig I noticed not all of them are 'out-of-the-box Fanatec pedals ready'. Will do some extra research.
Not talking about the mounting holes though. I’m not so sure about the height.

I do not own a setup but I researched it a few years ago. At the time I decided it would require too much wiring going through my living room I give up. You have to split the sound through by either using the optical signal, hdmi audio extractor or using the tv headphone jack. Problem is you won’t be able to use usb wireless headphones. (PS4 doesn’t support multi channel audio) Buttkicker has its own amplifier which will require the PS4 sound output from either one of the above channels. The amplifier also requires its own power supply. And there is another wire that goes to the buttkicker unit. And if you play with headphones. (Like I prefer) you will need to wire connect to the tv. A whole lot of extra cable management around the tv. If you have a dedicated simracing setup this is much more worth it though.
Hdmi extractor sounds like the ticket. I dont mind wiring at all (wire ties) but adding woofers, power supplies and amps to my already heavy “portable” rig doesnt sound appealing right now. Maybe down the road. Thx for info, though!

You actually can!
Im using a surround processor so I imagine I could split the sub out to a remote amp and EQ to dial in the effect.

Last edited:
Yes the Brakes are crappy the T3PGT Pedals that are Included with the T-GT Failed twice on me. I purchased It ahead of the GT Sport Launch & Within a couple hours my first set broke. Sent back to Amazon UK for a Full Refund & Then the 2nd Bought from AO.com which had exactly the same issue. Contacted Thrustmaster via Support Channels and got absolutely nothing not even an apology or an offer for a replacement I was disgusted by their level of service. Took me over 2 Weeks to get £1400 back so I could re-purchase another wheel and now I'm going to move on to something more reliable. Fanatec have always had me intrigued and now with that new BF Rim that's being released (GT3 Rim) I think I'm finally going to move onto purchasing the CSL Elite.

Sorry but anyone that defends the T3PGT Pedals haven't owned a reliable pair of T3PA Pro's and should trade up straight away if Investing in the T-GT I felt very underwhelmed by what I received for how much I paid.
What rig do you have? Is it with alcantara fabric?

I placed my order 2 hours ago . . . . Csl elite ps4 version starter pack + Clubsport Formula rim..... Anyone that ordered from Fanatec EU could tell me how long did he wait to receive their products?

The thing that is making me hesitant in ordering the BF CSL wheel pack is the apparent lack of vibration in the included wheel. Once you get accustomed to that effect, it's hard to live without. The fact that PC2 doesn't support the rims vibration effect really put me off the game more than anything. Is the CSL base strong enough to use with the heavyish BMW and Porsche wheels that do have vibration, without damping the ffb?

The thing that is making me hesitant in ordering the BF CSL wheel pack is the apparent lack of vibration in the included wheel. Once you get accustomed to that effect, it's hard to live without. The fact that PC2 doesn't support the rims vibration effect really put me off the game more than anything. Is the CSL base strong enough to use with the heavyish BMW and Porsche wheels that do have vibration, without damping the ffb?
PC2 actually is one of the few sims which supports the rumble in the brake pedal, throttle pedal and in the rim natively without need of Fanaleds.

Back