Fanatec CSL wheel losing center during race?

• Thread starter slthree
  • 54 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
Is it normal for wheel to lose its center during a race?

playing Gran Turismo and was racing on Monza and got knocked around a little bit and by the third lap my wheel center was with the right paddle shifter direct north and the left pedal sifter direct south.

I use a Fanatec CSL Elite wheel

playing Gran Turismo and was racing on Monza and got knocked around a little bit and by the third lap my wheel center was with the right paddle shifter direct north and the left pedal sifter direct south.
Vehicle damage.

Vehicle damage.
I am sorry. But would you please be more specific?
This same thing happened with me during GT Sport daily races and for sure vehicle damage was off.
And this never happened when I was using Logitech wheel at daily races.
Thank you,

I am sorry. But would you please be more specific?
This same thing happened with me during GT Sport daily races and for sure vehicle damage was off.
And this never happened when I was using Logitech wheel at daily races.
Thank you,
Yes, you beat me to it.

Should that happen if damaged is set to off? Because, I had damage set to "off"

Yes, you beat me to it.

Should that happen if damaged is set to off? Because, I had damage set to "off"

What I did when contacted manufacturer is I made a quick video, with wheel centered at beginning of the race, crooked couple laps after, then I quit race while still filming video and started absolutely different new race with the wheel still well off center. This closed the discussion about vehicle damage. But that was in my case. Yours might be different. Good luck.

What I did when contacted manufacturer is I made a quick video, with wheel centered at beginning of the race, crooked couple laps after, then I quit race while still filming video and started absolutely different new race with the wheel still well off center. This closed the discussion about vehicle damage. But that was in my case. Yours might be different. Good luck.
That’s exactly my experience. Even after I left tha race, the wheel did NOT return to center.

I had to re-center it myself.

What wheel do you have? Mine is Fanatec CSL Elite

Just open the wheel base and clean the dust etc off the censor. That's what I did with mine and haven't had any problems since. If that doesnt help it's propably a faulty censor and you need to contact Fanatec but opening the wheelbase is pretty easy to do so might want give it a shot first..

Just open the wheel base and clean the dust etc off the censor. That's what I did with mine and haven't had any problems since. If that doesnt help it's propably a faulty censor and you need to contact Fanatec but opening the wheelbase is pretty easy to do so might want give it a shot first..
Oh my goodness! I only just unboxed this wheel on Saturday and didn't even start using it until the evening.

Surely, it can't be a dirty/obstructed sensor?

I just found another thread in the GTS section of these forums where others are having the same problem.

It was a big deal for me to spend nearly 700 dollars for this Fanatec CSL Elite when and the pedals and the load cell brake.

I literally haven't had a second of fun, trying to get it to behave long enough to complete even a short race.

Saturday, Sunday, and Monday have been miserable and my wife and kids are begging me to just return everything.

I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong but I'm taking the advice of some very smart people here and still can't use this wheel with PC2

I CAN use it with GTS but I still have the wheel un centering problem.

Should I just switch to a different wheel altogether? I was using the t150, as it was the only wheel available at my local Best Buy, and I had no problems with steering at all. It just seemed very toy like and the pedals were plastic and extremely light.

Maybe there is another premium wheel and pedals set I will have less problems with?

Is anyone happy with their Fanatec CSL elite?

Yep, that is what I did.
Do it early, preferably with 14 days of invoice date.
And be patient. Your experience and emotions are very similar to mine, just two weeks offset.
The problem is the CSL use an optical sensor vs a Hall sensor. I wonder how much cheaper that is in manufacturing.

The problem is the CSL use an optical sensor vs a Hall sensor. I wonder how much cheaper that is in manufacturing.
Should I return this and get a wheel with the Hall sensor?

I’m surprised that for the high cost of this wheel they use an inferior sensor

I would contact Fanatec before hitting the panic button (edit: and to not void your warranty by trying this solution without their go ahead). It can be a very simple process if it is only dirt/fluff on the sensor/code wheel. This is from the Fanatec official PDF (I think, correct me please if I'm wrong) and shows how easy it may be:

1.png

2.png
3.png

Last edited:
I would contact Fanatec before hitting the panic button (edit: and to not void your warranty by trying this solution without their go ahead). It can be a very simple process if it is only dirt/fluff on the sensor/code wheel. This is from the Fanatec official PDF (I think, correct me please if I'm wrong) and shows how easy it may be:

View attachment 731030
View attachment 731031 View attachment 731032

This is easy. But it might or might not help.

If you know another good and reliable wheel, please let us know.
I do not, so I just exchanged my Csl elite.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is easy. But it might or might not help.
I know, and that's why I suggested to contact Fanatec first, and used phrases like ''if it is only dirt/fluff on the sensor/code wheel'' and ''shows how easy it may be''. Please note I didn't say it will be easy and it is just a dirty sensor ;). There's a chance it could be something else (faulty sensor maybe) but I still don't think it's worth panicking yet.

Is your wheel ever perfectly centered? Mine is always just a couple degrees off when driving straight, also occured with my old now replaced wheel. Doesn't sound much but with 30cm rim it's noticeable. (No deadzone)

Forgot to mention that i still haven't tried GT Sport after proper PC calibrarion, but Assetto Corsa has this issue & so did GT Sport.

Last edited:
Is your wheel ever perfectly centered? Mine is always just a couple degrees off when driving straight, also occured with my old now replaced wheel. Doesn't sound much but with 30cm rim it's noticeable. (No deadzone)
I have the CSL Elite Xbox and mine is always perfectly centered.I regularly check it with a level.

You don't need to get another wheel. You were just unlucky. Perhaps some cleaning will solve the issue. Every consumer wheel is prone to issues. I believe T300/TX have hallsensors and they have their own problems (non sensore related).
I personally also think it is strange they fitted the CSL with an optical sensor. Is it that much cheaper?

If you know another good and reliable wheel, please let us know.
I do not, so I just exchanged my Csl elite.
DD wheels are essentially industrial Servomotors. They are built like a tank and to run 24/7. :lol:

slthree,

Don't panic, contact Fanatec. Usually they are pretty fast in answering, specially compared to other manufacturer.
With the CSL you have the best wheel for consoles and PC for that amount of money. Being able to change many settings on the wheel itself, is great. Ones you understand these features you don't wanna miss them anymore 👍

Also don't fix on the sensor type.

I own my wheel since 6 months now. racing every day 3-6 hours nonstop, no issues until now.

Again, get in touch with Fanatec as soon as possible. You will love your Fanatec setup ones you get used to it ;)

Don't panic, contact Fanatec. Usually they are pretty fast in answering, specially compared to other manufacturer.
With the CSL you have the best wheel for consoles and PC for that amount of money. Being able to change many settings on the wheel itself, is great. Ones you understand these features you don't wanna miss them anymore 👍

Also don't fix on the sensor type.

I own my wheel since 6 months now. racing every day 3-6 hours nonstop, no issues until now.

Again, get in touch with Fanatec as soon as possible. You will love your Fanatec setup ones you get used to it ;)

Ses, I know I have to listen to you, as I have seen how crazy fast you are on the track!

I did follow the advice and contacted Fanatec. They took their sweet time in getting back to me and sent me the standard "here's how to clean the sensor" reply with included photos. And, they asked me to let them know how it went. I did exactly that and told them it did not work. I also asked them why they believed that a wheel that is only 3 days old would even have a dirty sensor.

They refused to answer my question and they refused to reply to my email so I sent them yet another email and they have still refused to reply.n I am guessing they have no answer for my question and they hope to avoid me.

I let them know in an email that I was disappointed by their poor customer service and they have yet to reply.

So, it makes one wonder if Fanatec cares about the customer after they have their money. They were certainly quick to take my money. There was no delay there

When I've talked to Fanatec it always took a day or so for them to respond. US emailing Germany, different times of day/different holidays, etc. They were usually pretty helpful but always started with the standard "clean things/update firmware" type responses before getting to sending replacement parts or setting up repair tickets.

Ses, I know I have to listen to you, as I have seen how crazy fast you are on the track!

I did follow the advice and contacted Fanatec. They took their sweet time in getting back to me and sent me the standard "here's how to clean the sensor" reply with included photos. And, they asked me to let them know how it went. I did exactly that and told them it did not work. I also asked them why they believed that a wheel that is only 3 days old would even have a dirty sensor.

They refused to answer my question and they refused to reply to my email so I sent them yet another email and they have still refused to reply.n I am guessing they have no answer for my question and they hope to avoid me.

I let them know in an email that I was disappointed by their poor customer service and they have yet to reply.

So, it makes one wonder if Fanatec cares about the customer after they have their money. They were certainly quick to take my money. There was no delay there
You are being a bit impatient. They aren’t “refusing”, but taking their time. I am confident that they will resolve your issue, but you should give the appropriate time to offer a proper solution.

Yes, I realize that I'm not going to get a reply within an hour or two of my email. And, I also realize there is a time difference between the United States and Germany, although when it comes to email, time differences pshould not matter.

But, 3 days later, and no reply? There is no excuse for that

If I went 3 days without returning an email, I would no longer have my job.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180422-110524_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180422-110524_Gallery.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 93
slthree,

Ignoring when you did contact them and how much time it took them to answer you. But don't be to harsh with Fanatec, it doesn't make go things faster at all ;)

I own a company in the technology sector and I'm daily involved in many tasks going from market research over development, production procedures until after sales. We have several suppliers from which we receive parts. We control all these parts carefully before installing those in our products. At the end of the production line we execute a long function control of the entire product before shipping.
Even making all those tests, it is impossible to avoid that a customer receives a faulty product. They can be thousand reasons for that.

Also as mentioned by Morgoth, keep in mind the time change between USA and Germany, 6 hours eastern time or 9 hours if you live on the west coast. Weekends should of course also be considered. Still Fanatec offers you the possibility to get in touch with them by a live chat, even on weekends. Don't know of any other simracing company offering you this possibility 👍 Fanatec wouldn't do so if they only would be interested in taking your money ;)

Many manufacturers will tell you to send them back the faulty product for repair, which of course will take some time (shipping to the manufacturer -> isolate the problem -> repair -> shipping back to customer). Now it's not a secret that patience is not the strong point of many sim racer. Along with keeping repair costs low for Fanatec, they mostly give you the possibility to send you the replacing part so you can make repair by yourself, what brings sim racer faster back to sim racing. But there is no obligation for that. If you don't feel confident by doing the repair by yourself, don't hesitate to ask for a repair ticket, considering as mentioned, that it will take more time to get you back to sim racing ;)

Be patient and don't be to harsh with them, they will come up with a solution and you will love your working Fanatec gear 👍

You will lose your job if you receive an email on Friday evening when you are already in weekend and you answer to it on Monday ones you are back from holiday?

Does your company also offer to their customer the possibility of a live chat even on weekends?

;)

Yes, I realize that I'm not going to get a reply within an hour or two of my email. And, I also realize there is a time difference between the United States and Germany, although when it comes to email, time differences pshould not matter.

But, 3 days later, and no reply? There is no excuse for that

Didn't know it was 3 days. Perhaps asking them if you can send the order back and exchange it for a whole new order.

You will lose your job if you receive an email on Friday evening when you are already in weekend and you answer to it on Monday ones you are back from holiday?

Does your company also offer to their customer the possibility of a live chat even on weekends?

;)
Lol. Not if I did it once or twice. But, if it was a habit, absolutely yes!

My field is Medical and on my card, it reads: "Day, night, weekend, holiday... I will always reply"

I am texted and/or emailed usually during the work week and sometimes on weekends or nights or holiday.

I reply to everything immediately, even if only to let the sender know they've been heard and I'm working on it.

In fairness, not everyone has to do business the way I do. But, it's the reason my professional reputation is what it is. That's important to me and to my family, not just for job security but for the good word of mouth and for the comfort it gives the people I do business with. I like the feeling of a good reputation.

Perhaps my expectations of Fanatec were too high? I don't know. When I've had issues with Amazon, they call me back immediately, regardless of day or time. They also email me immediately upon receiving an email from me, regardless of day or time.

Yes, it's quite likely that Fanatec is not staffed the way Amazon is (who is) but they certainly don't sell as much as Amazon does.

Id like to think I'm reasonable and my concern is the 14 day return policy. So, my plight may be viewed from that prism, an APPEARANCE that Fanatec is stalling in order to push a customer out of the return window.

Hopefully, that's not the case here but it is possible. I purchased from them based on a decent reputation. That gives me reason to expect great customer service.

When a person can't complete a simple practice run or a qualifying run without the wheel having to be reset multiple times, it's quite frustrating. When the company who happily deposited my money the SECOND I sent it, fails to reply to an email, something that is easy to do from any device or place, it's more frustrating.

But, Ses, I appreciate your perspective because I'm not in the technology sector.

Those who are on the fence about a wheel purchase, may be interested to see that the community here is better at replying to my issues (or anyone's issues) than the company whose reputation is on the line.

Impression is everything and anyone who comes to these forums on gtplanet would quickly conclude that the members here CARE. I'm not so sure they would conclude that for Fanatec.

Let me add something else, please.

I don't WANT to return this wheel.

I don't WANT to have bad feelings about Fanatec.

I want the company I supported with my hard earned money, to give their customer just the illusion (if not real) that they care.

I want to enjoy playing these racing games with the wheel and pedals I bought.

Back