Fanatec Csw v2.5 Wheel Thread

Cyprus
Cyprus
I will start this thread since we, the owners of the CSW V2.5 don't have an official thread yet.
English is not my native so mistakes can be made so bear with me guys, i will start with my review and opinion after 4 days of using it.

TL DR :
IT'S GOOD , BUY IT.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After owning several wheels in the last 3 years(Thrusmaster Tx|Logitech G29|Thrustmaster T500) i finally got my hands of my dream wheel the CSW v2.5 bundle.

And i can say hands down it's the best wheel i've had.
While thinking how to explain and how this wheel feels like and how it compares to entry level wheels i came with an ideea , think as chosing between the wheels as same as choosing a cheap car or a expensive car :

- Does the cheap car takes you to destination? Yes , do you feel the road with it? Yes
- But the expensive car takes you to destination with style and comfort, you have more options to choose and better quality, plus the options to adjust the car on the fly.

Same is with the wheel, while logitech or thrustmaster does its job , the CSW v2.5 does it with style
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That being said lets start with THE GOOD:
-Great Force Feedback
The road feel and the feedback power is great, while thrustmaster or logitech can replicate theese effects (eg cheap car) , fanatec CSW v2.5 does it 30% -40% better as in terms of force , force effects until clipping starts, plus small details on track can be more pronounced.

-Totaly Silent
For someone that needs silence in the room this wheel is exceptional , i mean with the right settings i couldn't belive how silent it is, was so silent that in the first night that i played with it till 3 am, my wife asked me if i even played....that silent it was. (she knows the t500 and the logitech cogging late nights).
And the fan is not intrusive
-Extremlly Fast And Smooth
All i can say it's wow, the smoothnesss feels like nothing i've seen in a gaming wheel, it's so smooth that you might add dampening to it
And the speed will catch you off guard, the drift mode is great and very helpfull.
-Build Quality Top Notch
Doesn't look like a toy , altho it is, it's heavy , sturdy and well build , oh and surprisingly small comming from my monster t500.
-Table Mount Excellent
It works even without a cockpit, sold mine last year , and i was forced to mount it either hard or buying a table mount , witch is expensive and heavy as the wheel itself,
but great quality
-Pedals
While design wise they are not the best looking , they make up by the feel and the all steel material.
I do like the break foam , it does a very good job emulating a loadcell.
-On The Fly Settings
I didn't thought i will use this that much , but boy i was wrong, can't live without it now, having the option to set 5 profiles for each game is amazing.
Fiddling with FFB for each car its a great addition.
Now lets say THE NEUTRAL points:
-Not Plug And Play
And not user friendly, for a techie like me i do enjoy the amount of options i can fiddle with any tech and i like it, but for the average joe this wheel can be a pain, starting from calibrating procces, to mounting, to configuring the right settings and finding the right balance.
-Alcantara P1 Rim
While the wheel is light and good for the effects recieved, it could be a little more thick.... it feels empty inside, i was expecting little more for the 180 euro price of the wheel, the alcantara material is sensible , and can be damaged very easy
Shifters feels good , trying again to emulate the magnetic ones , snapdome tech they say it's clicky they say...but it's not what u expect, they feel good tho in hand, and again quite silent for the ones who needs it.
-Quick Release
Not really a quick release, and it can be quite difficult knowing how much to tighten the screw without being afraid of damaging the thread, but this can happen for thrustmaster wheels as well, and they are even worse because everything is plastic.
And THE BAD :
I don't really have much bad things to say about the wheel except for my first 6 hours with the wheel , the high coil wine sounds it made , it was so bad that i could feel it trough the wheel vibrating and slighty cogged, and everytime i moved the wheel it either stopped or slowed sound abit, witch made me thinking of returing it, i even though it was defective because of the small cogging.
But then with the help of a fanatec representative (after mailing them) i updated to a beta firmware witch fixed the coil whine and oh boy it felt and sound great.

Ending notes , the FEI option witch i didn't mention it's a great addition to the wheel, trough my short experience while playing with it 100 sometimes it doesnt feel as good, and i think i can describe FEI as a FFB suspension, while lowering fei it can give you a more soft ffb feeling as in a soft suspension like in luxury limousine cars when driving on a bumpy road ,high Fei (eg 90-100) will give you a direct sharp raw (and sometimes unrealistic) FFB feeling as like in a supersportscar suspension.

Games tested : Assetto corsa, F1 2018,Project Cars 2, Dirt rally 2, Euro Truck Simulator,Forza 7

PS : For ETS 2 fans yes the wheel is extremely smooth cogging free when turning or backing , and the wheel shakes nicely with the engine.
PS 2 : I wrote here , everything that i wanted to know before i'd buy this wheel, hopefully will help someone.

My 2 C.

Last edited:
There is a modifcation for CSL Elite steering wheel P1 that adds ClubSport Quick Release Adapter and magnetic paddle shifters. The price is 60€ and you will have to buy the ClubSport Quick Release Adapter 100€.

49742737_2230509443829573_3132650060806881280_n.jpg

full

I've had my CSW 2.5 for over a month now and have raced regularly with it. I'm incredibly happy with it with its strong points being the ones you have mentioned - precision build quality, smoothness, detail and strength of the feedback. I came from a history of Logitechs (G25) followed by the 911 RS series of Fanatec wheels. This new CSW 2.5 wheel seems to combine the very characteristics of those older wheels but then takes that to a whole new level. I sort of see my new wheel as everything I loved about the Logitech in terms of the "speed" of response and detail (being geared) but with a smoothness that is very close indeed to what you would get with a direct drive (I have never come across any situation so far where I have perceived a lack of smoothness unless it is a force feedback directive coming from the sim itself).

I'm using the XBox rim with mine because I really like the feel of the alcantara surrounding the entire rim, though I have to admit I would have liked the rim to be a tiny bit thicker (though that may have made it heavier which may have reduced the feedback detail).

But of course it isn't just about this huge step up in luxury for me. My speed has improved. Significantly too - on average by around a second every two minutes averaged out over all the tracks I race on. And just as important, I am more consistent. Lap time variations are now much more tightly bunched and my tyres last longer. The tyres last longer because the feedback detail is much higher meaning I can feel much more subtle responses in the car than I could with my older wheels. This has been especially helpful in exiting lower speed corners (which seems to be where I have made up most of the outright speed). My exit speeds from these sorts of corners are higher because the detail of the feedback enables me to have a lower slip angle whilst still applying a higher percentage of throttle between the apex and passing the exit. In other words, I am able to make more numerous but much more minute subtle steering corrections on the way out that are barely perceptible versus my old technique that was more "taily".

My only criticisms of it are relative ones. I'm sure a high quality direct drive would improve the level of detail even further and that I would notice the improved "dynamic range" of the feedback response (difference between the highest and lowest forces) but again, for me it is not worth the difference in price - I am happy with what I have.

My other criticism is probably nit picking - I'd just like to see the FEI settings available in increments of 1 instead of 10. Once you have enough experience with the wheel and fully dialled in the settings you like, the increments of 10 are just far too large. I believe Fanatec have this request on their "to look at" list but it would come down to priorities and the amount of memory the wheel has to store and use those settings.

Last edited:
I will start this thread since we, the owners of the CSW V2.5 don't have an official thread yet.
English is not my native so mistakes can be made so bear with me guys, i will start with my review and opinion after 4 days of using it.

TL DR :
IT'S GOOD , BUY IT.

After owning several wheels in the last 3 years(Thrusmaster Tx|Logitech G29|Thrustmaster T500) i finally got my hands of my dream wheel the CSW v2.5 bundle.

And i can say hands down it's the best wheel i've had.
While thinking how to explain and how this wheel feels like and how it compares to entry level wheels i came with an ideea , think as chosing between the wheels as same as choosing a cheap car or a expensive car :

- Does the cheap car takes you to destination? Yes , do you feel the road with it? Yes
- But the expensive car takes you to destination with style and comfort, you have more options to choose and better quality, plus the options to adjust the car on the fly.

Same is with the wheel, while logitech or thrustmaster does its job , the CSW v2.5 does it with style
That being said lets start with THE GOOD:
-Great Force Feedback
The road feel and the feedback power is great, while thrustmaster or logitech can replicate theese effects (eg cheap car) , fanatec CSW v2.5 does it 30% -40% better as in terms of force , force effects until clipping starts, plus small details on track can be more pronounced.

-Totaly Silent
For someone that needs silence in the room this wheel is exceptional , i mean with the right settings i couldn't belive how silent it is, was so silent that in the first night that i played with it till 3 am, my wife asked me if i even played....that silent it was. (she knows the t500 and the logitech cogging late nights).
And the fan is not intrusive
-Extremlly Fast And Smooth
All i can say it's wow, the smoothnesss feels like nothing i've seen in a gaming wheel, it's so smooth that you might add dampening to it
And the speed will catch you off guard, the drift mode is great and very helpfull.
-Build Quality Top Notch
Doesn't look like a toy , altho it is, it's heavy , sturdy and well build , oh and surprisingly small comming from my monster t500.
-Table Mount Excellent
It works even without a cockpit, sold mine last year , and i was forced to mount it either hard or buying a table mount , witch is expensive and heavy as the wheel itself,
but great quality
-Pedals
While design wise they are not the best looking , they make up by the feel and the all steel material.
I do like the break foam , it does a very good job emulating a loadcell.
-On The Fly Settings
I didn't thought i will use this that much , but boy i was wrong, can't live without it now, having the option to set 5 profiles for each game is amazing.
Fiddling with FFB for each car its a great addition.
Now lets say THE NEUTRAL points:
-Not Plug And Play
And not user friendly, for a techie like me i do enjoy the amount of options i can fiddle with any tech and i like it, but for the average joe this wheel can be a pain, starting from calibrating procces, to mounting, to configuring the right settings and finding the right balance.
-Alcantara P1 Rim
While the wheel is light and good for the effects recieved, it could be a little more thick.... it feels empty inside, i was expecting little more for the 180 euro price of the wheel, the alcantara material is sensible , and can be damaged very easy
Shifters feels good , trying again to emulate the magnetic ones , snapdome tech they say it's clicky they say...but it's not what u expect, they feel good tho in hand, and again quite silent for the ones who needs it.
-Quick Release
Not really a quick release, and it can be quite difficult knowing how much to tighten the screw without being afraid of damaging the thread, but this can happen for thrustmaster wheels as well, and they are even worse because everything is plastic.
And THE BAD :
I don't really have much bad things to say about the wheel except for my first 6 hours with the wheel , the high coil wine sounds it made , it was so bad that i could feel it trough the wheel vibrating and slighty cogged, and everytime i moved the wheel it either stopped or slowed sound abit, witch made me thinking of returing it, i even though it was defective because of the small cogging.
But then with the help of a fanatec representative (after mailing them) i updated to a beta firmware witch fixed the coil whine and oh boy it felt and sound great.

Ending notes , the FEI option witch i didn't mention it's a great addition to the wheel, trough my short experience while playing with it 100 sometimes it doesnt feel as good, and i think i can describe FEI as a FFB suspension, while lowering fei it can give you a more soft ffb feeling as in a soft suspension like in luxury limousine cars when driving on a bumpy road ,high Fei (eg 90-100) will give you a direct sharp raw (and sometimes unrealistic) FFB feeling as like in a supersportscar suspension.

Games tested : Assetto corsa, F1 2018,Project Cars 2, Dirt rally 2, Euro Truck Simulator,Forza 7

PS : For ETS 2 fans yes the wheel is extremely smooth cogging free when turning or backing , and the wheel shakes nicely with the engine.
PS 2 : I wrote here , everything that i wanted to know before i'd buy this wheel, hopefully will help someone.

My 2 C.

I'm actually considering upgrading to a CSW 2.5 myself. Would you say it's a significant step up from the T500?

There is a modifcation for CSL Elite steering wheel P1 that adds ClubSport Quick Release Adapter and magnetic paddle shifters. The price is 60€ and you will have to buy the ClubSport Quick Release Adapter 100€.
Do you have any idea if this will affect the ffb in any way? And/or if there will be any flex?

Do you have any idea if this will affect the ffb in any way? And/or if there will be any flex?
This is the only review I've seen for this modification:
(this is the CSL P1 but he also makes this mod for CSL Elite Xbox and PS4 versions.)

Edit:

Last edited:
I'm actually considering upgrading to a CSW 2.5 myself. Would you say it's a significant step up from the T500?
Look as i said , depends from witch persepective you see it, if you are new to simracing (witch i doubt) and you are happy with your t500 id say no it does not worth it.
Upgrade to DD later but that takes in alot of factors , strong rig, plus more cash.
I woulda personally upgdraded to dd1 if i had a rig, but i dont have anymore yet , thats why i choosed v2.5 and its more than enough.

t500 can deliver some preety nice ffb, the only downside is the cogging and lack of settings, this is where csw v2.5 shines , from where you "Feel" more detailed feedback and it has more room till clipping and belive me you get tired...very fast if you go at clipping limit ,but if you ask me , i couldnt live with out my csw v2.5 and i wouldnt return to t500 , unless i have no choice.
If you have the cash to burn...go for it, ppl buy 1k phones theese days .

and you are happy with your t500 id say no it does not worth it.
Not so happy with it actually. Lately it's started to feel a bit sluggish. But I'm not sure if that's because of changes in my driving style or if it's placebo after reading about DDs for too long, lol.
Upgrade to DD later but that takes in alot of factors , strong rig, plus more cash.
A lot more money. In fact, double the money for DD1 and about 2.5 times the money for SC2.
If you have the cash to burn...go for it, ppl buy 1k phones theese days .
That doesn't really factor into my decision. :lol:

Thanks for your inputs :)

CSL produces some cogging which drives me mad sometimes :)
I’m wondering if I switch to CSW 2.5 can it help me with this cogging situation?

Well, I just want smooth feedback. CSL elite isn’t capable of doing so.
DD should be nice indeed but a bit expensive. So is it worth to aim for CSW 2.5? Thanks

Well, I just want smooth feedback. CSL elite isn’t capable of doing so.
DD should be nice indeed but a bit expensive. So is it worth to aim for CSW 2.5? Thanks
For what it's worth: I asked someone over at the ACC forums (Assetto Corsa Competizione) some of the same things you ask here. He had recently switched from a T500 to a CSW 2.5. This is what he wrote:

"If you get the 2.5, I’d bet you’d scratch our head as to why you’d want a DD. It is so smooth. All the notchiness in the T500 is gone. The wheel is much faster. The second the back end does anything, you’ll know it. My T500 was very slow in comparison. That vacuum cleaner fan is gone. The CSW is virtually silent. Oh, zero dead zone. It really is a great wheel. Very good upgrade from the T500. Get one. I couldn’t recommend it more."

Remember that this is his subjective opinion so take it for what it's worth.
I have ordered the CSW 2.5 myself so I will soon find out. :) Time, money and usage will tell if I'll go DD in the future.

Sounds interesting. Actually I’d like to have DD base but I’m not sure I have the rig strong enough to handle that.
Center zone cogging/rattling of CSL disappointing me and distracting from driving. This pulls me out of immersion into sim. I guess you can understand that. So that’s the only reason I want to change the base.

The wheel will be here already on Friday it seems. That's a good and speedy delivery from Fanatec.

What I'm not happy with however, is that I'll have to wait another week to use it, because I'm waiting for the TR J12 adapter to be able to use my existing TPA3-PRO pedals with the CSW. For some reason that adapter was weirdly hard to come by in Europe. Couldn't find anyone who delivered it to Norway, not even on eBay. I had to order it from USA. Grrrrr!

The wheel will be here already on Friday it seems. That's a good and speedy delivery from Fanatec.

What I'm not happy with however, is that I'll have to wait another week to use it, because I'm waiting for the TR J12 adapter to be able to use my existing TPA3-PRO pedals with the CSW. For some reason that adapter was weirdly hard to come by in Europe. Couldn't find anyone who delivered it to Norway, not even on eBay. I had to order it from USA. Grrrrr!

It would be nice to hear some sort of a review on FFB from you!

Center zone cogging/rattling of CSL disappointing me and distracting from driving. This pulls me out of immersion into sim. I guess you can understand that. So that’s the only reason I want to change the base.
I guess that's you.

Symptom: 'Knocking' noises in belt-driven wheel bases

So is it worth to aim for CSW 2.5? Thanks
If you don't need PS4 compatibility, then yes, the ClubSport base is a higher performance device. While we were able to share the motor and electronics between the WB+ and V2.5, the internal mechanisms are completely different. The V2.5 has a different reduction ratio which results in higher torque, and the dual belt system is totally different. It results in a smoother and more robust steering feel, and, perhaps most notably in relation to your concerns, the tendency to 'knock' due to belt tension is much lower.

Yes. You’re right

I really enjoy GT SPORT on a PS4 with the base. But I guess i’m ready to sacrifice it because of those clunkings. It’s less than a year i’m driving it. And ready to move up forward. The question from my side is how smooth 2.5 is. I’ve heard a lot about CSL smoothness. Actually it’s okay in most cases. But not in every. So if 2.5 is smooth enough without clunks at the center let’s do it. But how can I be sure? Other option is DD but a bit expensive right now.

So if 2.5 is smooth enough without clunks at the center let’s do it. But how can I be sure? Other option is DD but a bit expensive right now.
From what I understand CSW V2.5 can still have clunks at the center but significantly weaker compared to CSL, whether it will be good enough for you is difficult to say without testing it.

Sounds interesting. Actually I’d like to have DD base but I’m not sure I have the rig strong enough to handle that.

I have a number of hours under my belt with the CSL though the wheel I now have is the CSW 2.5 as I mentioned in my earlier post. There is a huge improvement in the CSW 2.5 over the CSL in terms of the cogging and rattling that you mention so it is definitely a major step up in that regard. However as I also mentioned in my earlier post, the CSW 2.5 can only approach the calibre of a high quality DD wheel. It isn't going to equal it. If Fanatec, for example, did not think there was a way to produce a wheel significantly better than a CSW 2.5, they would never have bothered with their Podium series. In the end, it is going to come down to what you are able to spend and how serious a racer you are. What I will say is the difference in performance between the CSL and CSW 2.5 is more than worth the price difference.

But I also need to tell you that you aren't going to reach a state of perfection with the CSW 2.5 either. It still has its limitations. The double belt reduction drive reduces detail and adds artificial smoothness and damping - simply on account of the mechanism itself. And secondly, owing to the ability to completely disengage the damping (Drift Mode off), you also need to be aware this can in certain particular circumstances produce a certain degree of "cogginess" as a side effect. This can manifest itself, for example, if you are driving dead straight ahead and the sim you are running is specifically able to reproduce effects such as steering rack rattle, tyre "pickup" and flat spots, for example. In instances like this, you can actually sense the minute degree of "slackness" in the mechanism that is brought about by having the Drift mode turned completely off - but then again if you have Drift set to, say, -2, that mechanism dampens itself back up and that issue goes away (but you also get a higher friction wheel). You can sort of get around this to some extent by allocating a preset from which you boot the wheel (turn it on) where that preset has a Drift mode of either -2, -3, 2 or 3. If you then turn the wheel on when you are actually in a sim and about to drive but then immediately change your preset to the one you actually want (where you might have Drift completely off), it behaves somewhat better in these very challenging sort of cases than it otherwise would (at least in Race 07 and Raceroom). Still not up to direct drive standards though.

Bear in mind too that a perception of roughness and cogging (assuming it is not a by product of the actual force feedback commands) is not just a mechanical issue with non DD wheels. Even in DD wheels, you can sometimes sense it because it originates in the electric motor itself. This is why Fanatec for example, claim "ultra low cogging" in their Podium wheels as opposed to "completely non-existent cogging".

Last edited:
CSL produces some cogging which drives me mad sometimes :)
I’m wondering if I switch to CSW 2.5 can it help me with this cogging situation?
Here is a direct comparison of the CSL Elite and CSW V2.5 noise level:

Last edited:
I got the CSW 2.5 and the McLaren GT3 wheel rim + a quick release adapter, which I mounted on the McLaren rim.

I only had time to test the CSW 2.5 on v1.0 of Assetto Corsa Competizione yesterday and OMG – this is just another level compared to the T500.

Using the recommended settings (on Fanatec site) for ACC I took the Audi R8 around Silverstone. There is just so much more going on with the wheel, a lot more details in the ffb compared to the T500. The ffb gain is at 100 in the driver and 70 in the game and it's strong! But still everything is felt through the wheel. I never realised Silverstone was so bumpy, lol! It felt like driving a real car, or how I would imagine driving a real car feels like (yes, Podium users, I know you will probably laugh at this :P). I just sat there with a huge stupid grin on my face on each lap around Silverstone. Extremely satisfying!

Through the QR adapter the wheel is sooo smooth. I couldn't detect any cogging or "belt feeling" or whatever it's called. All those things I felt in the T500 are gone here. Just really strong, smooth and responsive. And the QR adapter fits really snugly on the wheel. There is absolutely no hint of flex whatsoever. Really solid!

I think I will buy the CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 + that QR/paddle mod mentioned above to test other cars in other sims, such as vintage cars in AC.

I have never tested a DD wheel and now I probably won't. Unless they go mainstream at a reasonable price. Until that happens I am extremely happy with this wheel for sure.

I got the CSW 2.5 and the McLaren GT3 wheel rim + a quick release adapter, which I mounted on the McLaren rim.

I only had time to test the CSW 2.5 on v1.0 of Assetto Corsa Competizione yesterday and OMG – this is just another level compared to the T500.

Using the recommended settings (on Fanatec site) for ACC I took the Audi R8 around Silverstone. There is just so much more going on with the wheel, a lot more details in the ffb compared to the T500. The ffb gain is at 100 in the driver and 70 in the game and it's strong! But still everything is felt through the wheel. I never realised Silverstone was so bumpy, lol! It felt like driving a real car, or how I would imagine driving a real car feels like (yes, Podium users, I know you will probably laugh at this :P). I just sat there with a huge stupid grin on my face on each lap around Silverstone. Extremely satisfying!

Through the QR adapter the wheel is sooo smooth. I couldn't detect any cogging or "belt feeling" or whatever it's called. All those things I felt in the T500 are gone here. Just really strong, smooth and responsive. And the QR adapter fits really snugly on the wheel. There is absolutely no hint of flex whatsoever. Really solid!

I think I will buy the CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 + that QR/paddle mod mentioned above to test other cars in other sims, such as vintage cars in AC.

I have never tested a DD wheel and now I probably won't. Unless they go mainstream at a reasonable price. Until that happens I am extremely happy with this wheel for sure.

It is indeed an amazing piece of equipement, a wierd thing is that ...im more hyped to play with the wheel now after 1.5 months , that i was in the begining, every day im stunned by this wheel ,it makes dirt 2 and acc a great experience. You will love it even more after sometime.

A bit neutral and underwhelming review I have to say. Probably difficult to put yourself in the shoes of a belt user when you're used to the high-end of DD like Barry is.

Anyway, the problem for the CSW 2.5 now is that it could cost about 1000€ (depending on wheel choice). That puts it in direct competition with the Accuforce Pro V2.

A bit neutral and underwhelming review I have to say. Probably difficult to put yourself in the shoes of a belt user when you're used to the high-end of DD like Barry is.

Anyway, the problem for the CSW 2.5 now is that it could cost about 1000€ (depending on wheel choice). That puts it in direct competition with the Accuforce Pro V2.
Yeah... I own one and I was fortunate to test the Accuforce. I must say the difference (sans Sim Commander) is not that big. Like from a T300 to a CSW is way more of a jump in smoothness, strength and quickness of the wheel than from a CSW to an Accuforce. But for the same price, I would go Accuforce.
With a caveat that is; if I want something with more buttons/different button layout I need to invest in a decent rim for the accuforce which will bring the price up quite a bit. The standard accuforce rim has 13 buttons or something whereas a fanatec rim has a lot more (like the McLaren Rim that I use). For the accuforce you either use a Fanatec rim plus adaptor (another 100 euros) or you can go for some more bespoke option which will run you north of 500 euros.

Does anyone use a Fanatec CSW 2.5 and Drivehub on Gran Turismo Sport?

Much appreciated if you can share your settings.
Yes, works perfectly in Fanatec mode (on the drivehub)

In GT it shows as the CSL Base, so some extra buttons may not be supported spending on your wheel.

Back