Fanatec 'Direct Drive' Powered Wheel to Arrive This Year

Why has no one responded to my earlier comment regarding the new GT wheel.

This article suggests the TM's new wheel will be DD. How have they come to this conclusion without it being public or common knowledge?
I was also thinking that this could be the new officially licensed Fanatec wheel.

I have been catching up on PS4 compatibility of my Clubsport V2, and the news there is not good. Seems like some lucky PC or XBox user is going to get a smoking EBay deal on my old base when I have to upgrade to the new GT Wheel.

Fingers crossed that it will continue to integrate with my pedals and BMW Rim........

So let me get this straight. According to Sim Racing Paddock, Direct drive wheels are less smooth than belt driven wheels, but due to the lack of "a middle man", like belts or gears; the direct drive wheel provides instantaneous reaction from the sim/games FFB?

With the middle man gone, would the smoothness even matter?

So let me get this straight. According to Sim Racing Paddock, Direct drive wheels are less smooth than belt driven wheels, but due to the lack of "a middle man", like belts or gears; the direct drive wheel provides instantaneous reaction from the sim/games FFB?

With the middle man gone, would the smoothness even matter?
I general, I would say no. You would give away a bit in the steering feel experience relative to RL racing in order to get feedback that's much closer to what you would experience in RL racing.

I'll take that tradeoff every time. The inherent flaw with sims as compared to RL is that you can't feel the car step out nearly as soon, you can normally pre-correct in RL, or make the correction soon enough that it does not impact your line and lap.

Through wheel feedback and experiencing laps on a particular track in a particular car, we learn what we think might happen in sims. But there are still those moments when you get caught out.

EDK
I general, I would say no. You would give away a bit in the steering feel experience relative to RL racing in order to get feedback that's much closer to what you would experience in RL racing.

I'll take that tradeoff every time. The inherent flaw with sims as compared to RL is that you can't feel the car step out nearly as soon, you can normally pre-correct in RL, or make the correction soon enough that it does not impact your line and lap.

Through wheel feedback and experiencing laps on a particular track in a particular car, we learn what we think might happen in sims. But there are still those moments when you get caught out.
Isn't this what a motion rig with rear grip loss capabilities supposed to address fully? So that you get the sensation of the car pivoting mixed together with cues in the audio, visuals and FFB?

In that respect having a DD wheel with minimal latency is going to be great... as long as the motion rig has a similarly low latency :)

Isn't this what a motion rig with rear grip loss capabilities supposed to address fully? So that you get the sensation of the car pivoting mixed together with cues in the audio, visuals and FFB?

In that respect having a DD wheel with minimal latency is going to be great... as long as the motion rig has a similarly low latency :)
Yes, but who has the resources for one of those? (Money and space).

EDK
Yes, but who has the resources for one of those? (Money and space).
I can make plenty of space in my tiny house... Just clear out the garage, or the basement (where my current setup is), and I am done. The biggest hurdle is and has always been money.

EDK

That makes sense. Immediacy sounds like the best thing to have, if the sensation of motion cannot be achieved. I'm willing to try a DD wheel. If I can swing one, I'd do it. Just for now, my sights are set on getting a better belt drive wheel. If prices ever become palatable, I'd definitely go DD.

There is that DIY Open Sim wheel... Hmm.

OSW is not that much DIY anymore.. You can buy whole kit from e.g. simracingbay and some basic steering rim.
Of course, you can make it a bit more complex by adding converted Fanatec rim etc.
Assembly should be easy. Software part may take some time depending if you want to play with settings. I copied settings from someone on iRacing forum and that's it.
If I'd be in a market for a new wheel I would wait for Fanatec DD and then upgrade not bothering with belt driven wheels anymore.

Back