Fanatec 'Direct Drive' Powered Wheel to Arrive This Year

Hey Brendan! Thanks for the shout-out :D It's definitely exciting to see what's coming from both Fanatec and Thrustmaster! I also made this video with some speculation about what the Fanatec DD wheel could bring:

I wanted to give you the credit since I seen some sites using your video without the correct shout out... :)

Thank you for sharing the information!

Are you suggesting the soon to be released GT wheel. Is a direct drive wheel?

Got me confuzed also!?!?!?
Thrustmaster only just recently released their officially licensed T300RS "GT"
GT as in Gran Turismo
They gonna sell many $599 DD wheels to PS and XB users!?!?!?

Last edited:
Can we get a Price is Right thing going Fanatec? First one closest to the price of the wheel, with out going over get's it for free?

;)

This must be a Amazing piece of hardware... I am scared by the Price though...
I guess a Price about 900-1000 €/$ there just for the base without the wheel rim...
Now Fanatec did brand new pedals Too i expect a brand new ecosystem (with shifter and handbrake and maybe a new wheel rim) that will cost 3000$ before you get a rig too... :P

Looks mint, so by the time you have bought a 12k capable pc, 3 4k screens, a playseat, new club sport pedals and the new fanatec direct drive wheel. For about the same money you could have entered into a real life series like Ginetta. Wow.

I would certainly hope that all the PS4 games support the Fanatec wheels. They seem to be a bit more affordable and I'll choose any company over Thrustmaster.

Looks mint, so by the time you have bought a 12k capable pc, 3 4k screens, a playseat, new club sport pedals and the new fanatec direct drive wheel. For about the same money you could have entered into a real life series like Ginetta. Wow.

There is absolutely no point in triple 4K for racing games. Optimal setup is ultra wide with high refresh rates (Acer Z35 or X34) or VR. For that you really only need a single 1080 which is at <$600 ATM. All in all you should be able to build a top tier sim rig for ~$5K.

Why has no one responded to my earlier comment regarding the new GT wheel.

This article suggests the TM's new wheel will be DD. How have they come to this conclusion without it being public or common knowledge?

What the hell did I buy the TS-PC racer for?!?!?!
I'll quote what Thomas (Fanatec CEO) said in iRacing forum. I hope he does not mind.
"I had a close look to that wheel at E3 and all I can say is that you should have a close look at what Yamauchi -san really said and not what some people interpreted".

IMG-20160519-WA0001.jpg

What I see in this picture is a single belt drive wheel in my opinion(I could be wrong,time will tell)

I'm confused. Has anyone from Thrustmaster actually come out and said this wheel will use direct drive tech?
As it stands, no. TM have not even made official announcement that the wheel exists.

If you're asking where it was mentioned the wheel would be DD, it came directly from Kazunori himself in a segment of our interview way back last May. It was posted above by @super_gt.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Last edited:
If you're asking where it was mentioned the wheel would be DD, it came directly from Kazunori himself in a segment of our interview way back last May. It was posted above by @super_gt.

A bit confused, Thomas (CEO of Fanatec) said we should look closely at exactly what Kazunori said and not other interpretations...(above quote pased by someone)

so what did Kazunori really say? I can't speak japanese..

A bit confused, Thomas (CEO of Fanatec) said we should look closely at exactly what Kazunori said and not other interpretations...(above quote pased by someone)

so what did Kazunori really say? I can't speak japanese..
I can't comment on what Thomas has supposedly said, what I can say is that KY talked directly to GTPlanet and stated the wheel would be 'Direct Drive'.

There's no interpretation involved here, this is what Kaz said to Jordan at E3. Therefore, this is what the article is referencing.

I always thought it looked like a fancy looking belt driven wheel with one of these mounted on the back.
upload_2017-2-16_5-8-48.png

To give some rumble per Fanatec?

If you look close at that pic (a silver can?) I think you can see the motor and it isn't in alignment with where the center of the axel shaft would be. I think Kaz miss spoke and since he isn't an official Thrustmaster spokesman they just let the rumor run wild.

I always thought it looked like a fancy looking belt driven wheel with one of these mounted on the back. View attachment 628159
To give some rumble per Fanatec?

If you look close at that pic (a silver can?) I think you can see the motor and it isn't in alignment with where the center of the axel shaft would be. I think Kaz miss spoke and since he isn't an official Thrustmaster spokesman they just let the rumor run wild.
Hmmm you know ... that theory might have some substance, just seems logical to me, and not over thought. :indiff:

This seems like a belt tensioner in my opinion:
thrustmaster-png.548061

обтегач на ремък.png

and pay special attention to how high is placed in comparison with dual belt drive T300

обтегач на ремък 2.png

which could mean sigle belt drive.

edinièn remyk.png

I think most of us are assuming the GT Sport wheel will be very similar to TS-PC Racer in design, but Thrustmaster may surprise us.

Either way, I don't see Thrustmaster changing their rim mounting mechanisms now that they have everything using the current standard, so Fanatec will maintain the rim quality advantage. Buying a Direct Drive wheel and attaching the plastic/rubber Thrustmaster rims to it would be a bit weird :)

I think what we are looking at is the prototype TS-PC with a future GT sport wheel rim, probably sold as a bundle if and when GT launches.

Edit: TS-PS4

Edit 2: Coming Soon TS- X1 :P

Last edited:
I think what we are looking at is the prototype TS-PC with a future GT sport wheel rim, probably sold as a bundle if and when GT launches.

Edit: TS-PS4

Edit 2: Coming Soon TS- X1 :P
I would like someone to remove the top cover of TS-PC Racer and make few pictures.:embarrassed: :lol:

Back