Fanatec GT3 RS V2....My Experience

• Thread starter Welda
  • 313 comments

How important is customer service to you.

• Not very important...I just want my wheel to work properly.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • important...but will not influence my purchace

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Very important....it will influence what I decide to buy

Votes: 40 58.0%

• Total voters
It will just clamp to a table, as long as there's nothing obstructing the c-clamp type mechanism. I haven't used mine, so I'm not sure how stable it is compared to a hard mount, though.

Hey guys. Does anyone know what the typical response time is from Fanatec support? I got the auto-reply detailing the support info requirements first thing when I submitted yesterday morning but no other contact since then. I was aware of their requirements before sending the email so they already have everything they requested. How many days should I wait before I start making calls?

@pga,

you should inquire about your issues first thing in the morning if you are on east coast US. Remember about the 5/6 hour time difference. You email them past 10am EST, you will likely not get a reply. If you email them around 6-8amEST, you will get the automated reply, but since they are there, you will likely get a response.

I have noticed emailing them when not in office, your requests go from what I think, unseen. So my wholehearted suggestion mate is to make sure you are contacting them at times you KNOW they will be there to see it. I have had NO issues approaching it this way. And responses have been very timely, about 15min-1hour max. But, when not in office, I seem to never get an answer.

I hope this helps you out. And calling goes unanswered, so you are wasting your time there.

Another question about the GT3-- looking at the site it appears to include the Clubsport pedals or is their information page incorrect? By the looks of the GT3, it appears all I would need is to order the optional 6+1 shifter

If I went with the GT2 (for xbox 360 play) - I would have to order Clubsport pedals and the 6+1 shifter...

@sand,

only the wheel is included with the wheel, pedals and shifters are separate for the GT2 &3RS V2. So, yes you will have to order the pedals and shifters with the wheel. For the GT3RS after S&H US, it will be approx $480.00US, with the GT2 approx $550.00US. For Eu, the same prices, just in EU.

@pga,

what email address did you use, and what are you trying to inquire about? B/c they should respond without issue if you email early in the morning.

@sand,

only the wheel is included with the wheel, pedals and shifters are separate for the GT2 &3RS V2. So, yes you will have to order the pedals and shifters with the wheel. For the GT3RS after S&H US, it will be approx $480.00US, with the GT2 approx $550.00US. For Eu, the same prices, just in EU.

Ah thanks!

Actually, the GT3rs V2 does come with (Black Aluminum) ClubsSport Paddles minus the fancy box. There is also another set that is kind of odd looking.

Do you really need me to post a picture???

If you're buying a GT3rs V2, there is no need to order the CS Paddles.

As stated, the add on shifters do not come with it.

@dave,

read the posts bud, pedals, NOT paddles. Not trying to be a d*ck, but you obviously did not read.

LOL, you take it in stride, cant knock you for that. And I too want the Clubsports, I cheaped out at time of order and got standards. Thankfully mine work great, but still, after reading all of the reviews, I should just cave in and get some.

AGP5000
@pga,

what email address did you use, and what are you trying to inquire about? B/c they should respond without issue if you email early in the morning.

I used e-support@fanatec.com if I remember correctly. The problem is that when the wheel warms up it starts creaking and has some resistance to turning (separate from the force feedback), as if some parts are experiencing unintended friction due to heat expansion. I still didn't get a reply but since I am within the return period I just went ahead and ordered a new wheel and requested an RMA for the first one. Ultimately that's what I want them to do anyway so I figured I would take control of the situation rather than wait around for support to respond.

I used e-support@fanatec.com if I remember correctly. The problem is that when the wheel warms up it starts creaking and has some resistance to turning (separate from the force feedback), as if some parts are experiencing unintended friction due to heat expansion. I still didn't get a reply but since I am within the return period I just went ahead and ordered a new wheel and requested an RMA for the first one. Ultimately that's what I want them to do anyway so I figured I would take control of the situation rather than wait around for support to respond.

They are a little slow to respond to any E-mail....But they will get back to you, Please keep us up to date on how they are treating you... we are all curious.

I have to say that my experience with fanatec has been a great one so far. I had ordered clubsport shifter paddles when i was experimenting with the dfgt which i returned and ordered the porsche gt3 & clubsport pedals. Well they where very quick in e-mailing and the next day they had e-mailed me with the ups tracking number. At the same exact time i had ordered a 1:18 Autoart lexus lfa. needless to say the clubsport shifter paddles where coming from fanatec in california and the car from boston the same shipping method. You think the car which only takes one day!!!!!!!!!!!! via ups ground would beat out fanatec in california? Wrong the car got here the same exact day that fanatec said there shipment would arrive which was in 5 days. Fanatec told me 5 days and i got it in 5 days.Every e-mail i sent to Thomas was very quickly replied to. So so far it has been great ordering from them. I will keep updated on how they are handling the order i placed yesterday for the porsche gt3 v2 wheel & the clubsport pedals.

Quick update on my customer service experience so far :

Since I had not received a reply to either of my 2 e-mails to support I ordered a new wheel yesterday and requested an RMA for the defective one. I got the "will ship" e-mail this morning indicating that the new wheel will be on its way shortly. They seem to have shipping working fairly well so no complaints there. I have not yet heard anything about the RMA but it was just submitted yesterday so no problem there yet.

I did finally get a response from Alexander at Fanatec Support just now. He asked for a video of the problem. Unfortunately that clearly means he did not spend much time reading either of my e-mails as they both included a URL to download the video, as per the website support instructions. Hmmm.

Assuming the new wheel is ok and the RMA works out as it should, I'll still be a happy customer since the product is excellent. They certainly have work to do on the customer service side of things though. Nonetheless it is definitely worth persevering if necessary and I have no regrets whatsoever on going with Fanatec. The wheel is great and the pedals are phenomenal. I'll let you all know how it works out in the end.

Now if I could just beat that damn GT-R record on the ring I'll be a happy camper. 7:29.835 yesterday. Gaaah! Need to find another second somewhere......

Quick summary on my issue.

I received the GT2 on Monday. Wheel is fantastic and all works well.

They only supplied a LH paddle though.

I e-mailed claudia and had the auto response back.
Tuesday I sent my invoice copy and my serial number. Didn't send a video because how do I video a non showing paddle?

Thursday now and no response as yet.
How long do I give it and what would be my next step.

My fanatec update received my ups tracking number and information saying 2 packages where sent out. Delivery scheduled for march 16th. Hopefully ups will get it here on that date.

UPDATE

Been really busy last few days and haven't had much time behind the wheel. But in the mean time I have been researching and thinking of way's to mod the wheel for a better cooling solution. I may be fine with the way it is with just the main (Bigger of the 2 fans) blowing.

I figure the more airflow in the housing the better. Especially after some long nights of league racing. I have been looking for a replacement fan for the one I removed which is a 30x30x10mm 5V 0.17 Amp 2 pin speed sensor fan. Not easy to find!

I have found a couple that might work. http://www.buyextras.com/b30dc5vbabec.html

http://www.buyextras.com/b30babecofan.html

The first one may work better because it has a slimmer profile of 7mm which would work out better for the housing issue of the fan and housing touching. But it's also a 3 pin so I would have to get a 3 to 2 pin adapter like letter D in this pic.

yhst-24067115789173_2148_137739205.jpg

The second fan I linked is the same size as the original but the wires aren't terminated and neither fan has a speed sensor. I tried to get the same brand as the original which is T&T but the website is in chinese and I might as well forget that.

As my wheel sits now without the metal black mesh in it anymore it looks like this.

SDC10259.jpg

SDC10261.jpg

You will notice in this last pic that I have room on my rig next to the wheel to place a fan that I'm thinking will blow right into the housing through the holes on the top.

A cheap fan that clamps to my rig. I figured I would give it a shot because it was only 10 bucks. This is what I ordered. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041T0GPU

It's small and easy to use and I'll see how it goes. I'll point it right into one of the holes and hopefully get a good airflow in the housing. First I'll try this. Then if that doesn't seem to cut it I'll try a replacement fan like the original. Of course I always have the option of just using it without the housing but I like the way it looks better with it.

I'll keep ya's posted how this little clip on fan works. It might work great. Who knows.

By what I have been reading the new T500 has it's fair share of fan issues also.

The big main fan in the wheel seems to do a good job but the motor does get pretty hot and I don't think they have enough ventilation on the housing of the wheel for the amount of heat it can tend to pump out.

The connectors A.,C, and D are the most likely to work with a three pin. B is for two pin and it won't work for you.

The fan you selected should work since it's lower the than original's amperage. I have found this(look at the 5V and 10mm thick line, they will all work, you just need to find a local store, unless you can find a way to order online), this(order by email and all fans that I mention meet the requirements, look at the GM0503PEV2-8(seems to be 2 pin and pushes 3.7cfm) and the AFB0305MA -F00(3pin same exact 0.17amp and 3cfm), this(3pin, 0.10amp and 3cfm), this(don't know what pin type or if it's bare wire,3.7cfm and 0.11amp), this(bare wire, 4.9cfm and 0.7watt, below the 0.17amp requirement), this(look at GM0503PEV1-8N.GN, 2pin,4.9cfm, 0.13amp) and this(bare wire, it's 4.9cfm and 0.10amps).

Sorry for the wall of text but I found quite a bit for you. I labeled each link if they are 2pin, 3pin, bare wire, or if I don't know. Every fan is meant to be run at 5V. Also noted what wattage(0.85watts is the same as 0.17amps) or amperage the fan draws, they all match the requirements. Also added what cfm(means cubic feet per minute) they push. You can connect the bare wire by cutting the original fan's connector off(with 3in of wire to be careful) and using electrical tape to tape ground(black most of the time) to ground and 5V(red wire most of the time) to 5V.

I would skip using a large fan for now and just get a replacement fan for the wheel. The best way to tell which way it blows air is to look for arrows on the fan frame. Good luck with the fan hunting.👍

fanatec update - my wheel & pedals departed california last night at 10pm still scheduled for delivery on wednesday the 16th. Trying to find out when the rennsport wheel stands will be back in stock for shipment.

The connectors A.,C, and D are the most likely to work with a three pin. B is for two pin and it won't work for you.

The fan you selected should work since it's lower the than original's amperage. I have found this(look at the 5V and 10mm thick line, they will all work, you just need to find a local store, unless you can find a way to order online), this(order by email and all fans that I mention meet the requirements, look at the GM0503PEV2-8(seems to be 2 pin and pushes 3.7cfm) and the AFB0305MA -F00(3pin same exact 0.17amp and 3cfm), this(3pin, 0.10amp and 3cfm), this(don't know what pin type or if it's bare wire,3.7cfm and 0.11amp), this(bare wire, 4.9cfm and 0.7watt, below the 0.17amp requirement), this(look at GM0503PEV1-8N.GN, 2pin,4.9cfm, 0.13amp) and this(bare wire, it's 4.9cfm and 0.10amps).

Sorry for the wall of text but I found quite a bit for you. I labeled each link if they are 2pin, 3pin, bare wire, or if I don't know. Every fan is meant to be run at 5V. Also noted what wattage(0.85watts is the same as 0.17amps) or amperage the fan draws, they all match the requirements. Also added what cfm(means cubic feet per minute) they push. You can connect the bare wire by cutting the original fan's connector off(with 3in of wire to be careful) and using electrical tape to tape ground(black most of the time) to ground and 5V(red wire most of the time) to 5V.

I would skip using a large fan for now and just get a replacement fan for the wheel. The best way to tell which way it blows air is to look for arrows on the fan frame. Good luck with the fan hunting.👍

Thanks so much for all of the links and info! I'll check them out. 👍

I wasn't sure how things worked with the Amps/watts and all that jazz and wasn't sure if I needed to have a speed sensor or not. One area of my PC I haven't had to get into because the CM HAF 932 full tower comes with more than enough fans and air flow to keep temps good.

So I'm not all that familiar with the fans. I'll let ya's know how I make out. :sly:

Well, my customer service saga continues I'm afraid. I got a response regarding the RMA request this morning. When I submitted the RMA I included a note stating that I had already submitted a support request but had not yet received a reply. The first sentence from the RMA response was :

"I checked all our support system and found no email of you and honestly, we do not lose them ;-)"

I particularly liked the condescending tone implied by the wink at the end of the sentence. Now, this email which they never ever lose and by implication I never sent was already responded to by Alexander at Fanatec the previous day, so I know without question they received it. Armin went on to suggest I could have sent it to the wrong e-mail address. Why is it necessary to assume that the customer screwed up and not your company ??

Anyway, I yet again (for the fourth time now) had to provide a URL to the video of my wheel's problem. Hopefully they go ahead and provide me with the necessary RMA info and refund and not ask me to jump through any more hoops. If that fails, I'll have to give some serious consideration to returning the whole lot and buying a Thrustmaster.

I'm impressed with the Fanatec product but their customer service has proven incompetent and arrogant thus far. I hope they give me reason to change my assessment on that.

Does your fanatec Gt3 V2 not overheat when playing F1 Championship edition or 2010, even though the force feedback is twice what you get wit gt5. Played for 50 mins. no noticeable heat from anywhere.

In gt5 i go 25-30 mins and its time to turn the wheel off cause it will get hot, and hotter and then it will freeze...

Anyone?

Well, my customer service saga continues I'm afraid. I got a response regarding the RMA request this morning. When I submitted the RMA I included a note stating that I had already submitted a support request but had not yet received a reply. The first sentence from the RMA response was :

"I checked all our support system and found no email of you and honestly, we do not lose them ;-)"

I particularly liked the condescending tone implied by the wink at the end of the sentence. Now, this email which they never ever lose and by implication I never sent was already responded to by Alexander at Fanatec the previous day, so I know without question they received it. Armin went on to suggest I could have sent it to the wrong e-mail address. Why is it necessary to assume that the customer screwed up and not your company ??

Anyway, I yet again (for the fourth time now) had to provide a URL to the video of my wheel's problem. Hopefully they go ahead and provide me with the necessary RMA info and refund and not ask me to jump through any more hoops. If that fails, I'll have to give some serious consideration to returning the whole lot and buying a Thrustmaster.

I'm impressed with the Fanatec product but their customer service has proven incompetent and arrogant thus far. I hope they give me reason to change my assessment on that.

That is a bummer man, That is the kind of stuff that makes me mad. They need to take care of these issues....I dont care how much I like this wheel...if this kind of thing happens, I guarantee my next wheel purchase will not be from Fanatec. I sure do hope they make it right....Have you tried contacting Thomas? he is a member of GTP.

Back