Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
We are also leaving off another important fact, and please correct me if I am wrong, but going back to what Thomas said a couple of months ago we are looking at essentially the first console (X1) compatiable DD ever put on the market.

That's kinda big.

Gentlemen, do you think we will hear any word on a pre-order list?

Anytime soon or even this weekend, or are we truly in the "done when it's done and we'll see" period?

It seemed important to fanatec earlier this year To say it would be released 4th quarter 2017, which I believe would run up until March of 2018.

AccuForce Pro V2 is $1,299
:)
Thats including a wheel, paddles and button box and they said compare it to those, which is why I think €900 for just the base and €600 for the new wheels. I'm wondering what the difference in force is now though as that will determine the price difference.

I was already frightened of it, Pz. That didn't help.

I'm not nearly man enough for that wheel...or am I?!

...probably not.
Personally I can easily overpower the V2 the whole it could break your wrist some people claim isn't even close to reality for me. I mainly want it to remove clipping though not just outright power and I still feel like I could break the V2 if I really fought it.

That wrapping just makes it look a bit unfinished, i guess they are still working on the final design for the box. Size wise it doesn't look too bad when you consider its one box. Hope we get some more info soon been really looking forward to this news.

I think it's just the same thing auto makers do when testing out a car before it's been officially revealed.

Screenshot_20170916-174337.png

C7 ZR1 for those who have been living under a rock.

Love the fact that they wrapped it like it's a new car being test driven. Just some details, a release date and price now!

I think it's just the same thing auto makers do when testing out a car before it's been officially revealed.

View attachment 673087
C7 ZR1 for those who have been living under a rock.

That's what I said up thread as well. I'm amazed people haven't realised that and genuinely think that is what it will look like.

That's what I said up thread as well. I'm amazed people haven't realised that and genuinely think that is what it will look like.

Looking at what I wrote, I can understand why this is an accurate assumption. The dead give away from it being a work in progress (besides the Skunk work cammo) is where the accessories are plugged into the wheel. One look at what's going on there, and it's clear that the wheelbase is not finished. I still think the cammo finish should be an option. If not, a DIY wrap shouldn't be too difficult. Afterall that is exactly what Auto MFGs do when testing cars wearing the same cammo.

Man, did we mess this up already?!

Sim racing girl appears to have the first interview with Thomas post the debut at Sim Expo. During the interview he talked about the speculation of price already online and that we are not going to be disappointed, or it would be what we expect.

That said, we all should have guessed a lot lower. Maybe Thomas would have dropped the planned price!!

I still think our speculation is reasonably accurate. Would be sweet if my previous low end would still be in play; $1,200.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be lower, the issue really is motor cost. Those Lenze, miges etc are simply very expensive, now where Fanatec could really corner the market is in the custom motor and economies of scale, if it really is better for the job than those standard motors, everyone else is in the high end market is going to be playing catch up.

Gentlemen, do you think we will hear any word on a pre-order list?

Anytime soon or even this weekend, or are we truly in the "done when it's done and we'll see" period?

It seemed important to fanatec earlier this year To say it would be released 4th quarter 2017, which I believe would run up until March of 2018.

Pre-production starts in October, is what Thomas said in the interview with Sim-Racing Girl. Beta testing and all that stuff comes afterwards.

It would be fun to have as an option though, I mean it's not as if it's ever going to look cool being sat in a sim rig anyway, may aswell go all in!

I'm curious about the wireless internals though, it's going to have to be bullitt proof ans free from interference from all the other multitudes of wireless signals. Perhaps it can use direct line of sight if it goes straight through the shaft which will let it use a completely different frequency band.

Lower prices? So $700-$900? If that's the case then, it's going to sell like hotcakes.

Meanwhile over on EBay, it's going to be raining CSW V2.5's. I can't wait! :evilgrin:

I'm sorry if I missed something, but DG where'd you see a comment on "lower prices"?

I misunderstood your post about what Thomas said about the price. After finally watching the interview by Sim Racing Girl, it seems the community has set the price of the wheel to a certain degree.

I was just looking at one of the competitors and guessing their lowest price. Granted, with them you need to get a wheel rim, something to attach it to the servo motor, and then find a set of pedals. I can see Fanatec offering this within a stone's throw of that price. Well at least the lower torque variant. Thomas did mention a DD1 and a DD2 to Sim Racing Girl. Perhaps around $700 for the lower tier, and $900 for the upper tier?

I misunderstood your post about what Thomas said about the price. After finally watching the interview by Sim Racing Girl, it seems the community has set the price of the wheel to a certain degree.

I was just looking at one of the competitors and guessing their lowest price. Granted, with them you need to get a wheel rim, something to attach it to the servo motor, and then find a set of pedals. I can see Fanatec offering this within a stone's throw of that price. Well at least the lower torque variant. Thomas did mention a DD1 and a DD2 to Sim Racing Girl. Perhaps around $700 for the lower tier, and $900 for the upper tier?

Man, DG, it would be nice if you prediction was accurate. I believe even just the base itself would be more than fair at those prices. I think I predicted it somewhere on the GTPlanet Forums that I believe by the end of 2018, or maybe the end of fiscal 2018, we will see a DD system, with wheel, for $999, from somebody.

I'm not convinced a full wheel DD system with a cheaper motor to hit that cost would be better than a belt driven one.

The Accuforce V2 is $899 for just the unit and then another $89 for a quick release system so that's where the base model will be targeting.

Given the higher spec model is using exactly the same house with just a more powerful motor that will keep costs down to just the motor cost but remember the real high end ones can cost $1500 alone.

I'm kinda sorta interested but I guarantee that my current GT Omega folding wheel stand won't be sturdy enough to handle that monster.

I'm kinda sorta interested but I guarantee that my current GT Omega folding wheel stand won't be sturdy enough to handle that monster.
Direct Drive wheels are on quite another level. Most rigs that aren't built for that will show their weaknesses right away.

Direct Drive wheels are on quite another level. Most rigs that aren't built for that will show their weaknesses right away.

No doubt. Those things are probably more than a portable stand can take. Need more of a cockpit type rig.

I have a Next Level Rig as I use the chair for normal gaming too so being able to disconnect the stand is needed. It does have a lot of back to front play on the wheel plate though which I wonder if it would cause issues.

The only time it creates movement now is under hard braking I can sometimes pull down on the wheel and feel it move but there is no wobble from wheel FFB. I'll budget in for an RS1 or something though just in case aneed have to relocate the rig.

If you look in the Pcars2 general thread, there are people who have bought a T300 twice in the space of two years. That's why DD wheel, even though pricey, makes a lot of sense.

If you look in the Pcars2 general thread, there are people who have bought a T300 twice in the space of two years. That's why DD wheel, even though pricey, makes a lot of sense.

That is an interesting comment, lancia and a good point.

By all reasonable accounts the direct drive wheels are just plain durable monsters that may cause you software issues, but probably aren't going to have mechanical problems for a long, long time.

Damn that looks like a serious piece of kit, not sure my next level rig would take the forces :odd:

Good point. I have a HT Omega Art Cockpit and it has no issue with the CSW V2. But this makes wonder what you were as well.

For those of you buying this.... Better start hitting the gym. That thing looks like it's going to rip peoples arms off lol.

I'm gonna guess around $1,500...

Lol, I know. I’ve had people use CSW V2, and I tell them “if you wreck or spin out just let go of the wheel. The ffb could hurt ya Hefner the wheel start to go crazy .” So I can only imagine with this thing. I still want it though.

Not sure why the article mentions "What we do know is that the first generation DD Podium Series base will not be compatible with PS4." That's not exactly true...

If you listen to Thomas, on at least two videos during the Expo, he mentions they are talking to Sony about this base. So, I take it to mean the jury is still out on this base being PS4 compatible. I surely hope it is. Thomas goes on to mention that FANATEC realizes there is a decent amount of customers that are willing and able to fork over whatever it takes to have the best gear for their console of choice. =)

Back