Fanatec Replaces Thrustmaster at the GT Sport Tokyo World Tour Event

How much does this thing cost again ? :lol:

97206E28-56B4-4E5E-8F2C-EB7F1ACF4C41.png

2B4AEAB8-5E19-49FF-AF4A-5FA3935EE27E.png

Fanatec is a better product.

I get the whole idea of pulling tht T-GT wheels. But why not replace them with t300rs gt sets? Because the csl elite is more of a performance match?

Classic TM reliability. I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner with all the abuse these wheels get during live events. My experience with the T-GT has been totally underwhelming for its price and if it weren't for the 4 rotary dials I would've swapped back to my G25.

PD really should get Fanatec's as an official partner for next gen and have a DD wheel specifically made for GT7/8. TM just isn't cutting it.

I think this is the real reason why they were there. Fanatec will be the next partner for gran turismo and ps5

this new is a bomb in the racing game wheel market. The replacement of the wheel made a big damage on Thrustmaster company, we are talking of a T-GT, wheel that cost more than 700 Euros. After that how many players will replace their TG-T with a Fanatec? And how many new players will buy fanatec instead of Thrustmaster. Think about people, think about.

this new is a bomb in the racing game wheel market. The replacement of the wheel made a big damage on Thrustmaster company, we are talking of a T-GT, wheel that cost more than 700 Euros. After that how many players will replace their TG-T with a Fanatec? And how many new players will buy fanatec instead of Thrustmaster. Think about people, think about.

Not really, no.

It looks like the wheels are a variant of the CSL Elite P1 with a different material where the hands hold it? I can't see that this is available to buy normally, but I think it would be much better to at least offer this as an option when buying the wheel, as the Alcantara on mine has worn out in no time at all. It puts me off buying a different wheel, e.g. the Formula V2 also has Alcantara grips, it would be good to have the option of something much harder wearing, e.g. leather.

....as the Alcantara on mine has worn out in no time at all. It puts me off buying a different wheel, e.g. the Formula V2 also has Alcantara grips, it would be good to have the option of something much harder wearing, e.g. leather.
https://www.google.com.au/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNR3WRmP3HrKUIf7-CLq1ih6XNvnxw:1572185094156&source=hp&ei=BqS1Xf7BB-HYz7sP16GXmAU&q=leather+steering+wheel+cover&oq=leather+steerin&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l10.2492.4825..8985...0.0..0.158.2243.0j15......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131j35i39.ypJCx9hh1iI

https://www.google.com/search?q=ten.....69i57j0l5.8871j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And I acknowledge that a $500+ product should last a decent period without resorting to those.

Honestly. They need to switch to a load cell. If they want to take this idea of converting gamers to drivers, then why are we bothering with the fake lifeless pedals of other brands?

Switch to DD with load cell.

I noticed in the under 18's race one of the front runners was using DS4 with motion control, maybe just scrap the wheels and let everyone use a controller.

Honestly. They need to switch to a load cell. If they want to take this idea of converting gamers to drivers, then why are we bothering with the fake lifeless pedals of other brands?

Switch to DD with load cell.
This is probably one of the worst games to be using a load cell on, especially when you have several different people using the same rig in Manufacturers.

I don't know if you've swapped with a friend on your rig but I have. My friend could not reach anywhere near 100% braking after me driving with my heavy brake foot presses so we had to turn off the whole system and reboot everything just so he could have a go. He was fine once the pedals were re-calibrated to his leg strength. As you can imagine it wouldn't be a good look in the middle of a race.

Edit: I have a T-GT with load cell modded pedals.

Also the switch to DD would put practising out of most peoples reach. The DD with LC is $3000 AUD here and then having to upgrade the sim rig to take it :scared::crazy:.... and are they really trying to convert gamers to racers with these tournaments? There's no pathway to go further like there was with GT Academy.

Last edited:
I don't know if you've swapped with a friend on your rig but I have. My friend could not reach anywhere near 100% braking after me driving with my heavy brake foot presses so we had to turn off the whole system and reboot everything just so he could have a go. He was fine once the pedals were re-calibrated to his leg strength.
Fanatec wheels has BRF(brake force adjustment) for such a case and it is very fast and easy to adjust the desired brake pressure.:)
My Thrustmaster T150 died again at the weekend, and I am fed up of trying to fix it, so I have ordered a Fanatec CSL Elite. No load cell, but might think about it in the future.

The power of advertising :)
Enjoy your new wheel, the difference between the T150 and CSL Elite is huge.:)

Fanatec wheels has BRF(brake force adjustment) for such a case and it is very fast and easy to adjust the desired brake pressure.:)
Yes, how I'd expect people to use it is to set up the presets for the 2 drivers before the race, then all they have to do is switch between the presets when they swap over, and every setting would change to their preference. The only problem would be if they have a different preference for the in-game settings, as those can't easily be changed, but that's common to all wheels.

That's okay if you're used to using that (extremely expensive) set-up, but swapping people in and out of the seat and adjusting the seat would be enough to deal with in the short time it takes to do a pit stop, without the added distraction.

It's also something many would not know before hand. They'd have to pre-measure everyone's brake performance.

Yes, how I'd expect people to use it is to set up the presets for the 2 drivers before the race, then all they have to do is switch between the presets when they swap over, and every setting would change to their preference. The only problem would be if they have a different preference for the in-game settings, as those can't easily be changed, but that's common to all wheels.
That's a lot of extra things that could go wrong on a live broadcast :scared:.

Almost every Thrustmaster wheel ever has issues with random button presses......no response from Thrustmaster.

One wheel fails that was planned to be used at a live event.....Thrustmaster recalls them immediately and issues an apology, says they will fix this "rare" component failure.

LOL.

I wonder drivers feedback from Tokyo about Fanatec? What do they say who most of all have TGT at home?
I was think the same thing I hope to see some feed back soon
These are what I've seen so far. Both seem to slightly favour the T-GT for GT Sport but I doubt there's much in it either way.
I had an immense amount of trouble initially. The throttle pedal is much longer than on the T-GT, and so, combined with the nonlinear throttle, makes for a really tough adjustment period.

The feedback was good, but I could certainly feel the lack of the transducer that the T-GT has. Once I got it down though, I still enjoyed it. It's very likely a better wheel for everything outside of GT, but it's no replacement for the T-GT within the game.

Big thanks to Fanatec though, their representative was a real stand up guy.
Untitled.png

From here:

This is probably one of the worst games to be using a load cell on, especially when you have several different people using the same rig in Manufacturers.

Why is this the worst game for a load cell?

I don't know if you've swapped with a friend on your rig but I have. My friend could not reach anywhere near 100% braking after me driving with my heavy brake foot presses so we had to turn off the whole system and reboot everything just so he could have a go. He was fine once the pedals were re-calibrated to his leg strength. As you can imagine it wouldn't be a good look in the middle of a race.

I have had friends try it, no issues. It’s more natural honestly. The chintzy brake pedal is more difficult to adapt to coming from a load cell because it is hilariously bad by comparison.

But as others have mentioned, it’s very easy to adjust the brake pedal and you could do it in a single practice lap.

Also the switch to DD would put practising out of most peoples reach. The DD with LC is $3000 AUD here and then having to upgrade the sim rig to take it :scared::crazy:.... and are they really trying to convert gamers to racers with these tournaments? There's no pathway to go further like there was with GT Academy.

The better wheels are easier to adapt to. They feel natural and “right” vs the arcade wheels. I would have a harder time going from a real wheel/load cell to the ones they use.

Why is this the worst game for a load cell?
Not the worst, one of the worst. Simply because it hasn't got proper in-game calibration. There's other games without proper calibration as well.
I have had friends try it, no issues. It’s more natural honestly. The chintzy brake pedal is more difficult to adapt to coming from a load cell because it is hilariously bad by comparison.

But as others have mentioned, it’s very easy to adjust the brake pedal and you could do it in a single practice lap.
It's not more natural if you can't physically press the brake as hard as the person that used it beforehand ;). As I mentioned my friend couldn't reach the same pressure (load) that I can put into the pedals. His 100% press was only about 60% of the force I use.

GT Sport calibrates to the hardest press and will continue to calibrate after each subsequent harder press during continued use. It doesn't just calibrate once, which is how it should be. I think this is the reason they stopped using the brake mods in the T-GT pedals and went to using the full pedal throw instead.

As for easy to adjust, you have to remember that this would be going on during live broadcasts with different people having to swap rigs so there's no chance to do a practice lap to acclimatise to it like you suggested.
The better wheels are easier to adapt to. They feel natural and “right” vs the arcade wheels. I would have a harder time going from a real wheel/load cell to the ones they use.
Define 'arcade wheel'.

None of the wheels they're using are bottom of the range and as I've tried to explain load cells aren't the best for this situation. Don't get me wrong it would be great if GT Sport gave us the tools to make this possible but at the moment it doesn't. Proper in-game calibration set-up is all that's needed.

Edited to add: Part of your main reasoning for using high end equipment in your original post was about 'gamer to racer' and yet you didn't answer my question... are they really trying to convert gamers to racers with these tournaments? There's no pathway to go further like there was with GT Academy.

Last edited:
Not the worst, one of the worst. Simply because it hasn't got proper in-game calibration. There's other games without proper calibration as well.

With Fanatec you can calibrate it on the wheel, so in game calibration isn't necessary. It's really a non issue.

It's not more natural if you can't physically press the brake as hard as the person that used it beforehand ;). As I mentioned my friend couldn't reach the same pressure (load) that I can put into the pedals. His 100% press was only about 60% of the force I use.

It's more natural in that they can instantly tell how much to calibrate within the wheel and within a lap they will be "calibrated" and with far more precision than a standard pedal.

GT Sport calibrates to the hardest press and will continue to calibrate after each subsequent harder press during continued use. It doesn't just calibrate once, which is how it should be. I think this is the reason they stopped using the brake mods in the T-GT pedals and went to using the full pedal throw instead.

If this were the case..... why haven't I noticed any issues regarding braking with the Fanatec load cell setup. My braking is consistent and full force every time. I have a feeling this is a issue with only the lower end setups that don't use a load cell, because this is non existent with mine. I boot up and jump right onto the track and my brakes are perfect and consistent lap after lap.

As for easy to adjust, you have to remember that this would be going on during live broadcasts with different people having to swap rigs so there's no chance to do a practice lap to acclimatise to it like you suggested.

Do a practice session like most real race series, drivers acclimate themselves, then qualifying and race. It's not hard. And after the first race drivers will already know what settings they like or if they need to adjust slightly. This really is a non issue. If you can't adapt on the fly then that's the issue...... because in real racing you have to adapt very quickly with a race weekend.

Define 'arcade wheel'.

Honestly...... IMO anything that isn't DD or belt fed. I personally cant stand the notchiness of a gear based wheel. I find you lose precision in feel.

None of the wheels they're using are bottom of the range and as I've tried to explain load cells aren't the best for this situation. Don't get me wrong it would be great if GT Sport gave us the tools to make this possible but at the moment it doesn't. Proper in-game calibration set-up is all that's needed.

Just use Fanatec and there is no issue as others and myself have said.

Edited to add: Part of your main reasoning for using high end equipment in your original post was about 'gamer to racer' and yet you didn't answer my question... are they really trying to convert gamers to racers with these tournaments? There's no pathway to go further like there was with GT Academy.

There isn't a clear pathway at the moment. BUT I feel the FIA and GT have a longer term play here in that as ESports Racing gains traction and respect, then we will see some drivers getting recruited for real testing. As the physics engines and tire models improve, and with wheels, VR etc all becoming incredibly life like, I believe it is the inevitable evolution. I think we will see a dramatic leap in performance with the PS5 GPU and full VR support in possibly 4k.

With Fanatec you can calibrate it on the wheel, so in game calibration isn't necessary. It's really a non issue.
When you first enter the game every time you have to manually calibrate your pedals. It's been this way since at least GT5. What you're talking about is on top of the in-game settings. If you don't understand this there's not much point in me trying to explain the rest again.
Do a practice session like most real race series, drivers acclimate themselves, then qualifying and race. It's not hard. And after the first race drivers will already know what settings they like or if they need to adjust slightly. This really is a non issue. If you can't adapt on the fly then that's the issue...... because in real racing you have to adapt very quickly with a race weekend.
I'll also just snip this section of your post because this is also part of the crux of the issue you're not seeing... they can't just ''do a practice session like most real race series, drivers acclimate themselves, then qualifying and race''. The event has a format that it has to run to and it's live. You can't just have a practice in the middle of the broadcast. The drivers don't know what rig they'll be using because they first have to qualify through the finals, by either the semi finals, or the repechage, so they can't be set up in advance.

When you first enter the game every time you have to manually calibrate your pedals. It's been this way since at least GT5. What you're talking about is on top of the in-game settings. If you don't understand this there's not much point in me trying to explain the rest again.
The Fanatec pedals don't work the same way as those you are using. With Fanatec you set the braking force you desire for 100% braking, and you're done, the game doesn't mess with it, that braking force will give you 100% braking from start to finish. And if two players want that force to be different, the wheel allows for 4 presets that store all settings, so the players can instantly switch to their preferred braking force, lock to lock angle, force feedback strength etc, they just change to their preset and all those settings will change to their stored values.

Latest Posts

Back