Fanatec Reveals Direct Drive ClubSport DD and DD+ Wheel Bases: Available to Pre-Order Now

• Thread starter Famine
  • 472 comments
I've got the GT DD with the boost kit and I genuinely don't understand why people need more torque. It seems like some kinda sim rig wiener (can I say that here?) measuring contest.

Mine already generates more than enough torque to hurt my wrists. The G25 I used to have was fine in terms of torque itself.

I'm sure someone will say something about the difference being able to feel the smaller details but.. I don't get it. In theory, you'd have more pronounced details but then actual hard stuff will definitely hurt your wrists

Instead, they should make a wheel or hub attachment somehow that adds multi-function stalks that allows dedicated inputs for turn signals, headlights/high beams, wipers, and cruise control.

Last edited:
Given the similarities to the DD Pro 8nm… do we get the software update, or is that restricted to new products going forward?

Given the similarities to the DD Pro 8nm… do we get the software update, or is that restricted to new products going forward?
The new "FullForce" is only a feature of the new wheelbases, I assume it's a similar system to Logitechs True Force, so it won't be able to be used on the CSL DD/DD Pro.
This is from the Fanatec blog - "Feel the engine revs, and details of the road surface like never before. Only FullForce gives you the full experience of driving a race car. The effects are so fine that the DD can play music and works as a speaker if you like. This technology will also replace rumble motors in steering wheels as you can create much better effects. At this point we do not plan to implement FullForce into the CSL DD, GT DD or Podium DD wheel bases due to technical reasons."

Instead, they should make a wheel or hub attachment somehow that adds multi-function stalks that allows dedicated inputs for turn signals, headlights/high beams, wipers, and cruise control.
LOL at cruise control. However, I would love the others. I can never remember which button down what. Give me a steering column that is like a normal car and then I might remember.

Last edited:
Why playstation have to pay the highest price while Xbox players can choose both?
And 3nm difference and you get 300 More... Makes no sense

Why playstation have to pay the highest price while Xbox players can choose both?
If you think about it, it makes more sense to have the PS base being the more powerful because then every platform can make use of it and because of PS chip and licensing the PS base would anyway be more expensive and having something around the same price where one is stronger but the other for PS would be weird

If you think about it, it makes more sense to have the PS base being the more powerful because then every platform can make use of it and because of PS chip and licensing the PS base would anyway be more expensive and having something around the same price where one is stronger but the other for PS would be weird
It always better to have the choice 12 or 15 nm

I've got the GT DD with the boost kit and I genuinely don't understand why people need more torque. It seems like some kinda sim rig wiener (can I say that here?) measuring contest.

Mine already generates more than enough torque to hurt my wrists. The G25 I used to have was fine in terms of torque itself.

I'm sure someone will say something about the difference being able to feel the smaller details but.. I don't get it. In theory, you'd have more pronounced details but then actual hard stuff will definitely hurt your wrists

Yeah, it seems like somewhere between pure marketing and actually detrimental. How much torque do two-strokes have these days? Because that feels like about the level of a racey 125 two-stroke. Most people avoid putting their fingers in the back wheel of a motorcycle.

There's so many other things that could make a wheel actually better to use, but I imagine this is easy because you can just stick a bigger motor in.

why is fanatec so expensive. Even the quality isn't there. I guess if you play console then you don't have much choice but if you're on pc you can get higher quality gear for cheaper... moza, Simagic, azetec, simucube.... When these brands get console compatibility it will be the end of fanatec lmao.

why is fanatec so expensive. Even the quality isn't there. I guess if you play console then you don't have much choice but if you're on pc you can get higher quality gear for cheaper... moza, Simagic, azetec, simucube.... When these brands get console compatibility it will be the end of fanatec lmao.
Thats wrong.
The Simagic Alpha Mini is 10Nm MAX for 629€.

Moza R12 is (as the name suggests) 12 Nm Peak Torque (no mention what the Holding Torque is which is the actual more important torque value) for 649€.

Asetek La Prima is 12 Nm Peak Torque (also no mention what the Holding Torque is which is the actual more important torque value but from what I read the Holding Torque is around 10 Nm for the La Prima) and it is only available as a bundle with the La Prima Formula wheel for 1050€.

The Thrustmaster T818 is 10 Nm, 95% made out of plastic, and costs 650€.

None of these bases mention anything about the Slewrate, which is another quite important factor for a DD which determines how fast the motor can accelerate in Nm/ms. According to the comparison chart on the CS DD website, the CS DD should become the new market leader in this regard.

So overall the CS DD with 12 Nm Holding Torque (which it can keep forever without derating) and market leading fastest / highest and most consistent Slewrate for 699€ is priced pretty competetively (same for the 15 Nm CS DD+ version with PlayStation compatibility).

Last edited:

Because the Xbox chip is in the wheel, not in the base? Just my best guess.

If this means a price drop in the GT base or bundle I'm all about it. Let's see how good the Fullforce effect is because not being able to upgrade into it sucks but I'm not buying a 1.000 eur base anyway.

This feels a little bit disappoting, I was hoping for a ps version of the dd2 as an replacement for the dd1 ps 😅
I had the dd1 ps version on my wishlist for a long time before fanatec discontinued it without an announcement ._.

I'm happy with my GT DD Pro but this does seem like a nice little upgrade.

Maybe I'll get round to it in a few years, 8nm is enough for me right now.

DD+ is not available to pre-order, only the Clubsport DD unfortunately.

I actually think this is a nice upgrade from the GT DD Pro. Seems like much more precise FF can be generated, and they fixed the bad design in the way the quick release base-side connects to the base. 8nm is enough for me, I almost never have the FF up past 80% on GT DD Pro 8nm. But the the more solid connection with QR2 and more precise FF will be nice.

Attachments

• fanatec clubsport DD and DD+ -e.jpg
    fanatec clubsport DD and DD+ -e.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
BWX
DD+ is not available to pre-order, only the Clubsport DD unfortunately.
The Article
Players can pre-order the ClubSport DD now, October 13, with the wheel base becoming available on November 7, priced at $/€699.95. The DD+ is not yet available for pre-order but is coming soon and priced at $/€999.95. Both devices are available for attendees at the Sim Racing Expo in Dortmund to try out.

As a newcomer to the GT DD Pro, and having just gotten into adding tactile transducers to my rig, I'm interested in how and what FullForce does on these new bases.

Last edited:
Yeah, it seems like somewhere between pure marketing and actually detrimental. How much torque do two-strokes have these days? Because that feels like about the level of a racey 125 two-stroke. Most people avoid putting their fingers in the back wheel of a motorcycle.

There's so many other things that could make a wheel actually better to use, but I imagine this is easy because you can just stick a bigger motor in.
On this topic, the most convincing argument I've heard for an actual technical reason is longevity. If you design the device in a way that it needs to work at 100% capacity to emulate the 8-12 Nm forces of an actual car with power steering but high downforces, then the device would not last as long as one that can emulate the same forces but working at 80% capacity. Then there are also the purists that want to emulate a car without power steering, which would need more than 15 Nm force. Except for that very fringe situation where you would want something like 25+ Nm, I feel that 15 Nm may be the most desirable amount for having the most use-cases possible and maximize longevity of the device.

So overall the CS DD with 12 Nm Holding Torque (which it can keep forever without derating) and market leading fastest / highest and most consistent Slewrate for 699€ is priced pretty competetively (same for the 15 Nm CS DD+ version with PlayStation compatibility).
How strong do you have to be to hold against a 15Nm wheel for any length of time? That's a huge amount of force to be holding roughly at arms length on a 30cm wheel. It's way above any recommendation for manual handling safety, and that's before you get into what any shock loading is doing to your wrists and other joints.

I don't see why this is a positive, it just seems like a recipe for injury.

How strong do you have to be to hold against a 15Nm wheel for any length of time? That's a huge amount of force to be holding roughly at arms length on a 30cm wheel. It's way above any recommendation for manual handling safety, and that's before you get into what any shock loading is doing to your wrists and other joints.

I don't see why this is a positive, it just seems like a recipe for injury.
proper posture certainly becomes relevant. That said, I just want it to feel like the car depicted in VR in front of me. Gr3 911, some old tyme thing, an f1 car, whatever. I just want it to feel accurate as skills in VR seem to transfer much easier to my reactions in the real world. Which is fun and good...but also makes realism relevant.

I just noted that because title could be misleading
"Fanatec Reveals Direct Drive ClubSport DD and DD+ Wheel Bases: Available to Pre-Order Now"

Thats wrong.
The Simagic Alpha Mini is 10Nm MAX for 629€.

Moza R12 is (as the name suggests) 12 Nm Peak Torque (no mention what the Holding Torque is which is the actual more important torque value) for 649€.

Asetek La Prima is 12 Nm Peak Torque (also no mention what the Holding Torque is which is the actual more important torque value but from what I read the Holding Torque is around 10 Nm for the La Prima) and it is only available as a bundle with the La Prima Formula wheel for 1050€.

The Thrustmaster T818 is 10 Nm, 95% made out of plastic, and costs 650€.

None of these bases mention anything about the Slewrate, which is another quite important factor for a DD which determines how fast the motor can accelerate in Nm/ms. According to the comparison chart on the CS DD website, the CS DD should become the new market leader in this regard.

I believe all manufacturers advertise there products as peak power.other than simagic who advertise there products as constant torque.
Just my opinion

Looks interesting but tell me please......

So does GT7 get an update that allows grown men/women who have spent over £1000 on a "Logitech" product to be responsible enough to take care with the power output and get to experience their product at its full capacity it was designed to be used?

What is the true story behind all this, is it competitive posturing with different companies/licencing agreements or exclusivity periods?
Seriously, it will be a hoot if Fanatec can have thier products operate at full capacity with GT7 while models like Logitech's are restricted.

As a news article, it would be interesting to have confirmation from Sony/Polyphony representatives why or when any restrictions with power output on wheels with GT7 can be resolved?

If it cant or wont be changed, based on safety or other legal concerns, are consumers going to then be duped into buying very powerful DD motors to then perhaps find in the near future other studios and titles follow the same path by restricting in their own titles what the max power output can be?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back