Fanatec Shifter SQ V1.5 mis-shifts

• Thread starter Rob Brown
  • 38 comments

If you own a V1.5 shifter, have you had any mis-shift related issues?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
United States
Illinois
no1needs2perish
Hello all, after much consideration and issues spanning 2 years with the Fanatec shifter(s), I decided to initiate this thread. I bought my first shifter November 2018 and within months I started to experience mis-shifts, meaning the gear selected was not the gear signal that got sent to the PS4. I sent the shifter back for repair and after a couple months, the mis-shifts returned. Always infrequent at first but degrading to more frequent. I sent the shifter back a second time but not before buying a second shifter November 2019, hedging that if one was always in for service, I could be using the second. Now, 11 months into my warranty, the second v1.5 is to the point of getting frequent mis-shifts. I’ve left it out until now but I always ran through re-calibration, reinstalling software, updating firmware, replacing cables, [time after time]. The problem spans sim titles; GTS, PC2, AC. (The H shifting is problematic, not sequential shifting). The mis-shifts have occurred across several firmware updates, also since my newer podium equipment purchases that required updates.

Has anyone experienced this race ruining mis-shift dilemma? What was your fix?
@DomB_Fanatec
I’ve asked Fanatec service that if I would send in the circuit boards, to please send replacements as this is a heavy item to keep shipping across the US. Oh, but we need to check the RJ45 connections . . .
I find it hard to believe that this mis-shift issue is my 2 year, 2 shifter problem without anyone else experiencing it.

I haven't used the H shifting yet, really. The only mis-shifts I've had were in AC/ACC because I downshifted too early (old GT habit) and the game won't allow said early shift. But I will give it a try today with some road cars in GTS and see how it goes. What pedals are you using? I ask just because there is a clutch pedal at play too. Any issues with those when you connect them to a pc or an in-game properties page?

Jerome

@Rob Brown The ClubSport Shifter V1.5 should not produce any miss-shifts in normal operation. If it is miss-shifting due to a hardware issue, this is covered by the warranty, as are your shipping costs, of course! I'm very sorry to hear that you've experienced similar problems twice. Please create a support ticket and we can help you.

What kind of mis-shifts are you seeing? I tried the H pattern today in GTS and I found that for no reason, when the car hit higher revs, it would flip into N on its own and I'd have to downshift to attempt to fix it, which of course drastically slowed the car.

Jerome

FIRST POST (15 years lurking, thanks Praiano, etc)
Basic engineering: The daughter board is too small (1inch x .75 inch approx) (you cant buy it also, hah ha)
The shaft for lateral movement with the magnetic rod attached on the end is 1/2" diameter approximately
and moves about 90 degrees. Shifting from 1st to 2nd for example the vertical movement is about 45 degrees
with 2 hall sensors affected, no problem usually. Shifting between 2nd, 4th, and 6th with 3 hall sensors affected still
not usually a problem. But when shifting between Rev, 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th with 5 hall sensors involved the circuit
can easily become confused because the magnetic field of the magnetic rod on the end of the shaft is probably larger
than the distance between the hall sensors on the tiny circuit board and the software can become confused.
I have tried every trick available. Installed tape under the circuit; installed tape over the circuit; elongated the mounting
holes in the circuit board to allow rotation counter clockwise to bias the sensitivity of the sensors, all to no avail.
I even soldered longer wires to allow easier access to the insides of the unit ! I removed and dismantled everything each
4-6 weeks and all was well for awhile.
Don't bother.
Just unplug the connector (RJ-45?) Plug it back in, but when you re-calibrate reverse, 1st, 2nd gear hold the lever all the way
to the left. When you re-calibrate 5th, 6th, and 7th hold the lever all the way right when you push the button.
This is all you can expect until a design with wider spacing of the hall sensors is available. You wanted a driving simulator, right ?
In the '80s and '90s the attrition rate in F1 Grands Prix was sometimes 50 percent if I remember :cheers:
The only mystery is why a new unit may function up to 6 months without any issues ?
IMG_0359.jpg

Thanks
DR47GT

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one experiencing this problem. I calibrated as you described (well, except unplugging the RJ45) with holding shifter completely left for R, 1, 2 and completely right for 5, 6, & 7. Drove the Hellcat for 15 minutes and only mis-shifted once. That one time was 7th gear (got 5th, I think), and I only went there for testing purposes. I could deal with that because nearly never use 7th when H - shifting. Tell me your recommendation @Darryl Renfro , should I send it in for warranty? I’m just under 1year since purchase of unit 2 so it’s covered but I’ll be without it for 1 month (previous experience). It (warranty service) didn’t seem to do any good with my first unit and if it’s a design issue, why put myself through it? (I don’t have unit 1 anymore).

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one experiencing this problem. I calibrated as you described (well, except unplugging the RJ45) with holding shifter completely left for R, 1, 2 and completely right for 5, 6, & 7. Drove the Hellcat for 15 minutes and only mis-shifted once. That one time was 7th gear (got 5th, I think), and I only went there for testing purposes. I could deal with that because nearly never use 7th when H - shifting. Tell me your recommendation @Darryl Renfro , should I send it in for warranty? I’m just under 1year since purchase of unit 2 so it’s covered but I’ll be without it for 1 month (previous experience). It (warranty service) didn’t seem to do any good with my first unit and if it’s a design issue, why put myself through it? (I don’t have unit 1 anymore).
I wanted to buy extra circuit boards but was told open a support ticket
Your call on returning it for repair.
I’m awaiting news of a podium shifter if one is actually under development.
I have a drivehub sitting around and have considered some nice pc-only h-shifters
also

Great tips @Darryl Renfro. It took me 15min to calibrate with my F1 DD wheel for some reason. It kept exiting the calibration mode with my 991 rim and BME, super frustrating. I'll try it again and see how it goes.

Jerome

@Darryl Renfro Would you provide the name(s) of the PC only choices for H shifters?
(I’ve been contemplating getting a DD1 or DD2 in place of CSL). Could part out what I don’t want from the Sony DD variant but then I find Sony more and more offensive. Thinking of going the PC route.

@Darryl Renfro Would you provide the name(s) of the PC only choices for H shifters?
(I’ve been contemplating getting a DD1 or DD2 in place of CSL). Could part out what I don’t want from the Sony DD variant but then I find Sony more and more offensive. Thinking of going the PC route.
I liked the FREX H + or the ProSim both reviewed by Barry on his Youtube channel called Simracing Garage. I like my podium
Ps4 ok but I’m getting too old to move my arm I use my rig for physical therapy
(& time trials )

Dr47Gt

Last edited:
Great tips @Darryl Renfro. It took me 15min to calibrate with my F1 DD wheel for some reason. It kept exiting the calibration mode with my 991 rim and BME, super frustrating. I'll try it again and see how it goes.

Jerome
Don’t back the tension nut off too far when swapping rims, just a little slack.
Also i cleaned all grease off the rubber sleeve & just spray with Armor-All.
Makes rim swaps quite slick

Dr47Gt

@Darryl Renfro I’ve been accumulating laps after your prescribed calibration work around and haven’t gotten any misshifts. So, the new important question is, will I eventually find that this calibration is less and less effective? Has yours gotten worse months down the line?

@Darryl Renfro I’ve been accumulating laps after your prescribed calibration work around and haven’t gotten any misshifts. So, the new important question is, will I eventually find that this calibration is less and less effective? Has yours gotten worse months down the line?
Hasn’t gotten any worse for mine, but once it starts acting up you will periodically need to recalibrate. Depending on usage of course
I used to count the time between bad behavior and max was about 8 weeks. Usually though 4 to six weeks. My suggestion to unplug the cable is purely anecdotal as calibration was ineffective until I completely dismantled the unit time and again, to find no obvious problem with the internal components. Re-assemble, re-calibrate, and all was well for another month. Light bulb moment: maybe unplugging the cable clears out memory in one of the components. Seems I used it with a drivehub through a t300 for over 6 months and never a problem ?!

@Darryl Renfro

I appreciate that you are trying to offer advice, but some of your statements don't align with what Fanatec is recommending...

Just unplug the connector (RJ-45?) Plug it back in, but when you re-calibrate reverse, 1st, 2nd gear hold the lever all the way
to the left. When you re-calibrate 5th, 6th, and 7th hold the lever all the way right when you push the button.
This is not recommended. You should release the stick each time before pressing the calibrate button.

Also i cleaned all grease off the rubber sleeve & just spray with Armor-All.
I'm not sure which Armor-All product you are referring to, but we only recommend basic silicone grease. If the product is silicone-based it is probably fine but be aware that certain chemicals in spray products can potentially degrade the rubber.

Hasn’t gotten any worse for mine, but once it starts acting up you will periodically need to recalibrate. Depending on usage of course
I used to count the time between bad behavior and max was about 8 weeks. Usually though 4 to six weeks. My suggestion to unplug the cable is purely anecdotal as calibration was ineffective until I completely dismantled the unit time and again, to find no obvious problem with the internal components. Re-assemble, re-calibrate, and all was well for another month. Light bulb moment: maybe unplugging the cable clears out memory in one of the components. Seems I used it with a drivehub through a t300 for over 6 months and never a problem ?!
You should not need to recalibrate the shifter so often. Also there is no benefit to disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, there is no 'memory reset' when you do this. Trying a different cable can help however.

If you are having regular miss-shifts with the ClubSport Shifter, then there is a problem, and you should indeed try a different cable. It may also be a grounding issue. It is always best to communicate with our support team rather than trying to fix the issue yourself.

@Darryl Renfro

I appreciate that you are trying to offer advice, but some of your statements don't align with what Fanatec is recommending...

This is not recommended. You should release the stick each time before pressing the calibrate button.

I'm not sure which Armor-All product you are referring to, but we only recommend basic silicone grease. If the product is silicone-based it is probably fine but be aware that certain chemicals in spray products can potentially degrade the rubber.

You should not need to recalibrate the shifter so often. Also there is no benefit to disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, there is no 'memory reset' when you do this. Trying a different cable can help however.

If you are having regular miss-shifts with the ClubSport Shifter, then there is a problem, and you should indeed try a different cable. It may also be a grounding issue. It is always best to communicate with our support team rather than trying to fix the issue yourself.
Thank you Domb
You are the authority in such matters.
My experiences are purely anecdotal and readers should disregard them. The nice lady from Germany always tells me to open a support ticket. That is the best advice. Any news on a podium shifter by the way ?

Darryl Renfro:
When you re-calibrate reverse, 1st, 2nd gear hold the lever all the way
DomB_Fanatec:
I appreciate that you are trying to offer advice, but some of your statements don't align with what Fanatec is recommending . . . This is not recommended. You should release the stick each time before pressing the calibrate button.
@DomB_Fanatec
So very much appreciate your presence and comments on GT Planet (as I am sure this community would echo). A big thanks to you!
I would like also to share that Darryl’s experience and recommended calibration technique have proven (in the short term) to be as effective as what Fanatec’s service center provided . . . well, minus the 4 weeks I was without the shifter each of two times I sent it in for repair. Being on my second SQ V1.5 and experiencing the same mis-shift problem, I was open for alternative solutions. Also, in the same manner that you are not able to share info about potential future products, I expect that you would not discuss / acknowledge design flaws in Fanatec products. In any case, I’m glad your here because it gives me hope that Fanatec has another avenue to get valuable feedback on issues in the field.

Last edited:
Since November I was unable to get a good calibration without the gear selections jumping all over the place. I recently and reluctantly however again dis-assembled the shifter and removed the small hall sensor board ( not recommended) After cleaning the backside of the board and the shaft with the magnetic rod with rubbing alchohol everything is perfect again. Nothing like the thrill of shifting the 917/30 around classic Silverstone with the boost turned up !!

I recently and reluctantly however again dis-assembled the shifter and removed the small hall sensor board ( not recommended) After cleaning the backside of the board and the shaft with the magnetic rod with rubbing alchohol everything is perfect again.
Thanks Darryl. I opted to not send in my shifter (11.5 months into the 12 month warranty). I would have been without the shifter all of December based on previous two experiences. I still occasionally get misshifts, and they occasionally cost me loss of control. When it aggravates me enough, I’m sure to give your remedy a go. I appreciate your follow up!
I’m still wondering about podium level pedals and shifter. Any guess?

Thanks Darryl. I opted to not send in my shifter (11.5 months into the 12 month warranty). I would have been without the shifter all of December based on previous two experiences. I still occasionally get misshifts, and they occasionally cost me loss of control. When it aggravates me enough, I’m sure to give your remedy a go. I appreciate your follow up!
I’m still wondering about podium level pedals and shifter. Any guess?
Barry on youtube has a video under simracinggarage. He dis-assembles everything! I love my Fanatec v3 pedals, but they may be too close together for large feet and a bit difficult to swap springs etc ( they are well built in other words)

@Rob Brown The ClubSport Shifter V1.5 should not produce any miss-shifts in normal operation. If it is miss-shifting due to a hardware issue, this is covered by the warranty, as are your shipping costs, of course! I'm very sorry to hear that you've experienced similar problems twice. Please create a support ticket and we can help you.
This is not true i send mine back under warranty and the outcome was there was no problem with the shifter, probably a calibration issue. Got it back everything looked find and worked but after some months the problem returns. Contacted Fanatec again the problem returned but the answer was its out of warranty we don’t help you.

This is not true i send mine back under warranty and the outcome was there was no problem with the shifter, probably a calibration issue. Got it back everything looked find and worked but after some months the problem returns. Contacted Fanatec again the problem returned but the answer was its out of warranty we don’t help you.
I'm sorry to hear that Jimmy. But we always try to offer some kind of solution, we don't simply say 'we don't help'.

Well Jimmy, you’re in the same spot as me, only I chose to not send my shifter in before warranty ran out (speaking of my second & current shifter). Darryl has some interesting insights if you look back in this thread. I found it pointless to send the shifter in every 6 months. I just can’t use it for important races, only for goofing around.

I'm sorry to hear that Jimmy. But we always try to offer some kind of solution, we don't simply say 'we don't help'.
Hello Dom,

my last message on the top was send 19-01-20 but never replied. Please read the full history of this conversation and you will see my problem never was solved.

Hello,

Last week I received my Podium wheel and did firmware update and calibration of the shifter. Yesterday I almost broke my arm I pushed the shaft in 3rd gear but the unit detected 1st gear.

Op ma 13 jan. 2020 om 14:18 schreef FanatecSupport <e-support@fanatec.com>
Hi Jimmy,
can I ask whether you have calibrated the shifter after you have performed the firmware update?
Best regards / Freundliche Grüße

Johannes Limoli-Kirsch

(Fanatec Support Team)

***If you reply to this email please choose the reply-function of your email program***

***Falls Sie auf diese Email antworten, benutzen Sie bitte die Antwortfunktion Ihres Email-Programms***

Endor AG
E.ON-Allee 3, D - 84036 Landshut
Phone +49 (871) 9221-229 | Fax +49 (871) 9221-221

E-Mail: e-support@fanatec.com
Web: www.endor.ag www.fanatec.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft Landshut - Handelsregister Landshut HRB 5487
Vorstand: Thomas Jackermeier (Vorsitzender), Andrés Semsey
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Andreas Potthoff
------------------- Original Message -------------------
Received: 12.01.2020 14:53
To: Fanatec Support; mxd
Subject: Re: Re: RM18/03759 CRM:000011015897

Hello,

1 year later the problem still not solved. When the unit came back it was fine. I never calibrated it again because I was afraid off failure. Recently I moved from PS4 to PC and after installation and firmware update I was forced into calibration mode and again the same like last year the unit mix the gears 1 and reverse 2 and 4 for example.

What can we do?

Kind regards,

Jimmy

Op do 27 dec. 2018 om 11:34 schreef FanatecSupport <e-support@fanatec.com>
HI Jimmy,
our technician has tested the shifter entirely and also over a long period of time, but was unable to reproduce any fault.
The shifter basically works perfectly fine when he is testing it

Johannes Limoli-Kirsch

(Fanatec Support Team)

***If you reply to this email please choose the reply-function of your email program***

***Falls Sie auf diese Email antworten, benutzen Sie bitte die Antwortfunktion Ihres Email-Programms***

Endor AG
Seligenthaler Straße 16a, D - 84034 Landshut

------------------- Original Message -------------------
Received: 27.12.2018 10:29
To: Fanatec Support; mxd
Subject: Re: RM18/03759 CRM:000011015897

Hello,

The point is that I also do the calibration process and everything seems to be fine but after use the problem comes back. Sometimes I also have to do calibration several times before it is ok.

I’m afraid the problem is not solved. Is there another solution?

Greets,

Jimmy

Op do 27 dec. 2018 om 10:49 schreef FanatecSupport <e-support@fanatec.com>
Hi Jimmy,
our technician has tested your shifter and it works perfectly fine.
The gears are detected properly after calibration.
Would it be okay with you if we send it back and include a new cable?
Please let me know as soon as possible since our technician will go on holiday leave this Saturday

Johannes Limoli-Kirsch

(Fanatec Support Team)

Endor AG
Seligenthaler Straße 16a, D - 84034 Landshut

Last edited:
@Jimmy777 I checked your account, there is a reply from us the day after your 19/1/20 message, saying that we can take another look at the shifter but it would not be a free service because it is out of warranty. If you can't see this message please check your spam folder.

Hello Dom,

Thanks for the reply. My Spam folder automatically deletes messages after time. But when you sent me the message about the second look at my shifter you said it was out off warranty. Actually the shifter was out of warranty because you not fixed it the first time. I mentioned several times that it was not fixed in the mail history as you can read. So you clearly can see the problem with the shifter was there when the shifter was under warranty.

On the end i felt a little bit forced because you pushed me to make a decision because you technician goes for holiday and you offered me a new cable.

So on the end i have new cable and broken shifter out of warranty because you not fixed the problem when it was under warranty.

This just doesn’t feel good

I suggest that you continue to communicate with support. Please detail exactly why you are not satisfied with service, then this case can be looked at again by the team and hopefully reach a more satisfying resolution.

I suggest that you continue to communicate with support. Please detail exactly why you are not satisfied with service, then this case can be looked at again by the team and hopefully reach a more satisfying resolution.
I give it a try thanks.

@Jimmy777 did you take the pole at the top of this topic? If not please do.
@Darryl Renfro I’m about to go inside my shifter and take a look around. I noticed a grinding noise during shifts in the quiet of the early morning. I’ll re-read your posts before doing it though. I’ve got some hair brained ideas . . .

Back