Fanatec Shifter SQ V1.5 mis-shifts

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Rob Brown, Oct 30, 2020.

?

If you own a V1.5 shifter, have you had any mis-shift related issues?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jimmy777

Jimmy777

the poll is closed unfortunately.
    I also think there are really much people with the miss shift problem. The YouTube video with the electrical tape fix has lots of comments of users with this problem.

2. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

@Jimmy777 I opened up the pole.
    @Darryl Renfro I popped open the shifter. Even when left in neutral due to using paddle shifters, I was getting all kinds of crazy shifts. It disappeared if I unplugged the shifter. Well, the first picture shows a little metal fragment that may explain why that was happening.
    43AE7ED9-9AA6-48FA-91D2-3ABA0FEFE236.jpeg
    I watched some guy’s video on boobtube about placing electrical tape under the R-1-3-5-7 circuit board. (You mentioned trying this also). I thought it couldn’t hurt though, I did it. He received a bunch of positive comments.
    The forward-neutral-rearward board had the original electrical tape a little out of place. I replaced it. This board looked like it actually could have a grounding issue without the tape, as evidenced by the pins that peeked through the back of the board. The ones showing don’t make contact but there were others that do.
    D3922EB4-EC93-4794-9B1B-930A1FAEF80C.jpeg
    The R-1-3-5-7 board and magnet are tiny as you wrote. Wow, this isn’t an easy fix. Fanatec will certainly address in the next design! Too bad all the Fanatec news is about a new entry level lines . . .
    Still have to clean and grease. Haven’t found any conclusive evidence of the grinding. I also want to see if the pressure on the ball bearing can be increased to make the H shifting more crisp.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  3. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

I was successful in making the grinding go away with a clean and re-grease. I was also successful in making the H-shifting more crisp. Freshened up the notches with a drill bit, drilled out the bottom of the aluminum cylinder that holds the ball that ratchets in the notches. (This allows the ball to go deeper). Subtle metal removal but effective.
    021D8A5E-AD15-4773-97BE-5F775739DD3E.jpeg
    C1280228-F49D-42B2-BB4F-5D6AD72D9F14.jpeg
    8A62949C-0387-4201-A439-D568F4E582F4.jpeg

4. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

So, nearly 6 weeks after replacing the electrical tape, clean and regrease, I got my first misshifts today. Race ruining shift to third but shifter electronics deliver first gear. Recalibration doesn’t help. Unbolted and back out to garage for a look. Nothing obvious this time. Removed circuit boards, inspected, reassembled. Bolted back in place but didn’t test - too disgruntled to mess with it anymore tonight.
    EDIT: Back operating normally. I didn’t do enough to warrant the change but I’ll take it. I’ll also keep this thread updated when I get the next issue.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  5. ANDRITSOULAS

ANDRITSOULAS

I have noticed after putting grease inside, that if you put too much grease in there it might get on the board and causes mish shifts. I think it happened once to me i thought it was the tape but i saw nome minor grease on the board. I cleaned it and everything is fine now. That happened 3 months ago. I suppose hard shifting + too much grease can cause also mish shifting