Fanatec Teases PlayStation Related Piece of Hardware

I wondered about that different metarial on the rim, I thought maybe it was worn out from heavy use lol.
Looking at it again it actually looks like the whole thing is suede but with two tone of black and brown, which makes more sense than just the bottom being suede.

Must be to address issues people had with the plastic feel of the P1 rim so they've listened to all the feedback which is good to see.

Say what you want about the PS4 wheel base and rim, I'm more interested in the Fanatec headphones he's wearing. Tell me more about those.

:)

Looking at it again it actually looks like the whole thing is suede but with two tone of black and brown, which makes more sense than just the bottom being suede.

Must be to address issues people had with the plastic feel of the P1 rim so they've listened to all the feedback which is good to see.

Thinking about it, a swede/Alcantara finish would make the P1 way more attractive than the plastic finish. I kind of hope the Xbox compatible P1 gets a similar upgrade.

For your own good, try your best to expand your products into the console costumers.
As far as i know, Fanatec is very good as you can see iracing's top drivers using your brand so, opening a door for another 10 million potential costumers worldwide sounds yummy to me.

Most of their pedals work with PS4 via CPX-Adapter. I recently upgraded my pedal to Fanatec Clubsport V3. It is working perfectly fine with the Thrustmaster T300 wheel base on PS4 Pro. Most of their products work with Xbox officially.

Say what you want about the PS4 wheel base and rim, I'm more interested in the Fanatec headphones he's wearing. Tell me more about those.
I wonder if they'll do something beyond standard audio, something that's "never been done before". The teaser image has the bottom left corner appearing to signify what could be the edge of the product, and given that we can plainly see the opposite edge, it would make it a very thin (small?) piece of equipment - a headphone remote/controller?

I don't know what potential has been realised to date for tactile headphones, but I'm sure that transducers and frequency tricks could potentially bring much added immersion.

LeMansAide, you're probably right on the money. Thinking about it, the blue remote thing could possibly be the remote for the headphones. It makes the most sense to me at least.

Yep, but there is this mention propably because of the upcoming Fanatec..

"Finally: please note that this is just the first list, and that it will be subject to changes/updates as certain manufacturers launch new hardware."
Didn't spot that. Just need Sony to give Fanatec the green light to reveal now then.

My big question after seeing some of the leaked material from the weekend is where is the "security chip" or whatever makes this work with PS4? If it's in the rim then that means my BMW and Carbon F1 wheel rims won't be supported. If it's in the base then we should be good to go. The base does look to be PS4 specific with the new look and blue lettering so let's hope the licensing chip is in the base. I can hope but I suspect it's in the wheel.

Thomas mentioned on the Fanatec blog that existing wheels would be supported. I hope that also means in PS4 mode and not just PC mode. I do play sims on my PC but I was hoping to use my other wheel rims with GT Sport. I like to to match the wheel type to the car I'm currently driving.

Last edited:
So I think the original teaser image on the Fanatec blog are a set of replacement button covers to replace the existing buttons on this new PS4 CSL Elite wheel rim.

So I think the original teaser image on the Fanatec blog are a set of replacement button covers to replace the existing buttons on this new PS4 CSL Elite wheel rim.
That wouldn't work on the rounded buttons, they'd pop off every time you pressed the buttons and depressed into the hub.

Plus the Xbox One Hub already has button caps so I'm not sure if they can count that as something that's never been done before. Who knows, they could be PS buttons for either of the Universal Hubs as they look like the same shape.

I don't know if I mentioned it here, but the new finish on the P1 rim, goes a long way in improving the likability of it. It looks a hell of a lot better than the old version.

If the base will work with the Xbox via, the P1 rim, then Fanatec has something that the others don't, and also has something that hasn't been done before. LOL. Here's hoping.

Still waiting for info on the Headphones.

Fanatec The PS4 Base and rim have been clearly leaked. Please let us buy it soon as possible. I just sold my Fanatec Clubsport Base v2 just to have full Fanatec Ps4 support.

Loved the look of it, very clean and it looks like a rim of a real racing car. The only thing that i didn't liked so much was the top with the plastic finish.

That wouldn't work on the rounded buttons, they'd pop off every time you pressed the buttons and depressed into the hub.

Plus the Xbox One Hub already has button caps so I'm not sure if they can count that as something that's never been done before. Who knows, they could be PS buttons for either of the Universal Hubs as they look like the same shape.
@Fanatec... seems to 'like' my idea!
I don't know if I mentioned it here, but the new finish on the P1 rim, goes a long way in improving the likability of it. It looks a hell of a lot better than the old version.

If the base will work with the Xbox via, the P1 rim, then Fanatec has something that the others don't, and also has something that hasn't been done before. LOL. Here's hoping.

Still waiting for info on the Headphones.

Also a like for this. If true this could be a game changer!

VBR
Long story, but I shall try & be as consice as possible. I am very poor but managed to get a pre-owned PS4 for just £25 after some clever buying & selling. However, I was upset that my G25 wouldn't work because of $ony's greedy licensing practices. Then when I found out that Fanatec was going to make it's software drivers for their old wheels available to game devs, I was incredibly happy & decided to get some second hand Fanatec wheels. After a huge amount of effort in buying & selling I managed to get a CSR for £4.45 a GT2 for £4.51, & some CSR shifters for £1.33. I was extremely excited to get to use them with Assettos Corsa, but when the news broke that you guys had done a licensing deal with $ony & that you would be going back on your word as regards supporting older wheels, I was very angry indeed. Not everyone can afford to buy new equipment, & most people don't need to as they have perfectly good wheels that still work. $ony is primarily at fault for attempting to greedily rape wheel users wallets, & I was very surprised, dissapointed & angry when I heard that you had got in bed with them on this issue.

After some more clever buying & selling I now have a brand new G29 which cost me -£0.02. I'd much rather use the superior CSR & GT2, but can't. Not interested in GIMX, & don't want to fork out for a CronusMax Plus with PS4 Wheel Edition mode, so I'm stuck with the G29 which I don't like very much.

The whole issue of forced incompatibility, & $ony doing vile underhanded deals with wheel manufacturers has had a really negative impact on my view of $ony, wheel manufacturers, & sadly sim racing itself.

What could you have done better? Stuck to the integrity of your word that you would give software drivers to game devs for older wheels, & not be seduced by $ony into going back on it just to get a licensed product out there. I know that you're a business, & you need to make money, but how you go about it will affect your brands reputation, either for the better or for the worse. What you have done has affected it for the worse in my eyes, & in the eyes of many others.

PS4 - $399
Fanatec CSR - $199
Fanatec Porsche GT2 - $250
CSR Shifters - $59 (EACH)
Logitech G29 - $299

TOTAL: $1206
TOTAL VBR SPENT: 35.31 Pounds ($45.79)

QUESTION:What is the percentage of markup that video game and peripheral makers need to price their product at to maintain profitability? or What is the production cost per unit?

Answer:

Waaaaay more than you think when you factor all of their operating expenses (overhead, insurance, warehousing, licensing rights in foreign countries, distribution, assembly equipment, parts and supplies, product R&D, etc,. Also, waaay more than you paid for them even if you had even purchased them directly from the manufacturers, which you didn't. Not at those prices. Which means they were purchased second hand -probably cash, without verification/proof that these items weren't stolen.
Not calling you a thief or insinuating the secondhand market is in some way degrading our commerce system. I am merely questioning how you would have the audacity to think your opinion on this matter should carry weight? To openly insult a business owner that is producing products where they have to pay huge royalties simply to gain licensing agreements with the other companies you call Greedy. Greedy? Maybe... but frankly, if I am to continue to listen to someone groan and gripe about some product, having them outwardly admit to being a non-verified purchaser of that product makes me go a big rubbery one because if everyone who purchased their goods the methods you chose, there wouldn't be a Sony or Fanatec at all. Which means there wouldn't be a founder of said company trying to keep his customers happy and answer their ridiculous accusations about their "integrity of their word". OK BUDDY If you want people to take you seriously, you gotta pay like the rest of us do. We might not be happy with every product we buy, but at least our purchases go towards that company hitting minimum operating costs in order to keep their doors open and continue to develop their products better - WHICH IS A GOOD THING FOR THE INDUSTRY

Last edited:
@lemansfanatic - You're welcome to your opinions of course, but how much I paid for my gear or whether it was pre-owned or not has absolutely no bearing on the issue of forced incompatibility & licensing deals being fundamentally unethical.

Also, while I may have got my equipment for a small amount of money, I spent a whole lot of time & effort in getting it, & if my wheeling & dealing was my job & I was being paid by the hour it would've cost me a whole lot more.

VBR
@lemansfanatic - You're welcome to your opinions of course, but how much I paid for my gear or whether it was pre-owned or not has absolutely no bearing on the issue of forced incompatibility & licensing deals being fundamentally unethical.

Also, while I may have got my equipment for a small amount of money, I spent a whole lot of time & effort in getting it, & if my wheeling & dealing was my job & I was being paid by the hour it would've cost me a whole lot more.
Yep, when I read your post I thought "f that I'd rather pay full price than put all that effort in".

Quote from Thomas from the blog.

Hey Guys I just want to give you a little rest over the weekend as there will be no news. Let's see what Monday brings
wink.png

Looks like Monday is the day!

Back