Fanatec Wheel Broke First Use because of fall From Playseat Challenge

• Thread starter oik01
  • 78 comments
What happened to him is probably the worst case for this wheel/seat combination. On the other side i must defend this setup. Owning a fanatec wheel make me happy. More important for some of us: A Playseat challenge stored away makes her happy. Just be super careful when the seat is open and you will have fun for years.

The title was changed, not the post. They also obviously did NOT attach the wheel properly, and they said this is the THIRD time this has happened to them with three different wheels. It’s not a defect, it’s OP’s fault 100%. Wheels aren’t meant to fall and hit the ground. I have a G27 which is one of the most durable wheels out there, but I’d fully expect it to break if I dropped it from three to five feet off the ground and onto a hard surface. That’s just common sense.

I 100% agree, but annoyed by the reaction from mr. Jackermeier. I have had a similar experience with him and the reaction was a bit out of left field. He is notoriously thinskinned about criticism.

OP is already pissed and sad that his wheel is broken. Just tell him you are sad its broken and he should contact customer service to find a solution to his problem.

What happened to him is probably the worst case for this wheel/seat combination. On the other side i must defend this setup. Owning a fanatec wheel make me happy. More important for some of us: A Playseat challenge stored away makes her happy. Just be super careful when the seat is open and you will have fun for years.

I also love my Playseat Challenge.

I 100% agree, but annoyed by the reaction from mr. Jackermeier. I have had a similar experience with him and the reaction was a bit out of left field. He is notoriously thinskinned about criticism.

OP is already pissed and sad that his wheel is broken. Just tell him you are sad its broken and he should contact customer service to find a solution to his problem.

I’m sorry but this isn’t how it works. Again, OP started this thread and right away went on the attack and blamed others for something that was his own doing. Then they went on to act condescending toward people who said they were wrong. It can’t be expected that people are going to take kindly to that kind of attitude.

While studiing this funny chair i have noticed some kind of support strut on the left side. I think this is to prevent a fall over.
This support strut should be exist on both sides! Only on the left side prevent only a fall to the left:D

Version 2 is now available with holder for shifter, beer and keyboard :lol: ( just joking )
Angel+Stuhl+CSB+Feeder+Adjust+zusammenklappbar+grau.jpg

I’m sorry but this isn’t how it works. Again, OP started this thread and right away went on the attack and blamed others for something that was his own doing. Then they went on to act condescending toward people who said they were wrong. It can’t be expected that people are going to take kindly to that kind of attitude.

I understand your opinion, but that is a reason what the internet is used for. To vent frustration and share experiences. The readers will judge it on facevalue. Perhaps I missed some deleted posts, but I am trying to be objective here. But I have seen the same behavior towards other brands and somehow no one seems to be objecting them? I do sense that the community here has become very biased towards certain brands.

While studiing this funny chair i have noticed some kind of support strut on the left side. I think this is to prevent a fall over.
This support strut should be exist on both sides! Only on the left side prevent only a fall to the left:D

Version 2 is now available with holder for shifter, beer and keyboard :lol: ( just joking )View attachment 768944

That's pretty funny. But in seriousness, the Challenge only needs the support strut on the left side because that's how the wheel opens up, and puts weight on that side of the chair. No need for it on the other side.

And I definitely wouldn't mind a Version 2 Playseat Challenge that comes with a beer holder!

That's pretty funny. But in seriousness, the Challenge only needs the support strut on the left side because that's how the wheel opens up, and puts weight on that side of the chair. No need for it on the other side.

And I definitely wouldn't mind a Version 2 Playseat Challenge that comes with a beer holder!

The challenge has a retractable "kickstand" to prevent the chair from tipping over.

I also use a Playseat Challenge with the T-GT and T3PA-Pro Pedals and both are quite heavy, especially the pedals. For me it never fall off, because I hard mounted it and from time to time I check the bolts, to make sure it's properly mounted.
The cause is probably that the wheel wasn't mounted sufficiently on the deck.

I also use a Playseat Challenge with the T-GT and T3PA-Pro Pedals and both are quite heavy, especially the pedals. For me it never fall off, because I hard mounted it and from time to time I check the bolts, to make sure it's properly mounted.
The cause is probably that the wheel wasn't mounted sufficiently on the deck.
It wasnt a mounting problem. The whole seat fell to the left when the cockpit was open and nobody sat in.

Then it is because the kickstand wasn't pulled out, which prevents it falling over....

I balanced the seat a bit by mounting my 2 shifters on the other side. So it is an accidental solution to this problem. But I want to make clear again that the Playseat Challenge is also not to blame for this incident. The seat is the perfect solution for people who dont have room or dont want a permanent rig and want a solution that easy to setup and clear within 5 minutes.

yeah me to.when i open my playseat seat challenge .it drop to the left with the whole t500rs.its hit the floor.luckyly my wheel didnt split in two or cracked so i made a little modification,i zip tie it to the right into a post sa it wont tip over again.

your right pocket.he shouldnt be like that. thats one of his costomer. he should be taking care of his costomer. so all fanatec owner here. please be carefull with your device not to broke accidentally and ask him nicely cause maybe he wont help you at all.

your right pocket.he shouldnt be like that. thats one of his costomer. he should be taking care of his costomer. so all fanatec owner here. please be carefull with your device not to broke accidentally and ask him nicely cause maybe he wont help you at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, blaming a product/company in public (!) although it was obviously his own fault... what do you expect? Customer isnt always king.

Wait, blaming a product/company in public (!) although it was obviously his own fault... what do you expect? Customer isnt always king.

A customer has every right to voice there experience and opinion. I have my own business and also get negative online reviews once in a while. Some of these are unfounded or completely the fault of the customer themselves and sometimes they even havent visited out business at all! What is more important in business is how you handle the complaint. But the customer has every right to post whatever he wants as long it doesnt go to slander territory.

I don't really understand why people are so upset. I never did anything other than describe what happened.
Everyone is entitled to their views and this is a good place to share them and discuss them. Mine is that if I am buying a 600 something dollar wheel, I expect it to work well but also be durable and designed to handle mishaps. Others don't seem to think so. Regardless it is completely appropriate to describe my experience and voice my opinion in public even if it upsets company reps, owners, CEOs, fanboys, whatever... this is the place to have those conversations and not be shutdown

I don't really understand why people are so upset. I never did anything other than describe what happened.
Everyone is entitled to their views and this is a good place to share them and discuss them. Mine is that if I am buying a 600 something dollar wheel, I expect it to work well but also be durable and designed to handle mishaps. Others don't seem to think so. Regardless it is completely appropriate to describe my experience and voice my opinion in public even if it upsets company reps, owners, CEOs, fanboys, whatever... this is the place to have those conversations and not be shutdown
You dropped your wheel and it broke. Suck it up and take better care of your expensive purchases in the future. I'd say lesson learned but you've already told us it's happen a few times before so guess you are just accident prone or don't take enough care and like to blame others for your failings.

Except the durability you are asking for is outside the remit of normal operation. I have issues with some of the build quality of the Fanatec stuff specifically materials used in key areas which failed on me with normal use.

What you are saying is like expecting a TV to survive being dropped if you accidentally drop it when taking it out the box.

If I break something from my own negligence/stupidity I don’t go and blame it on the product not being fit for purpose.

The Fanatec wheel's too heavy for the rig or the Playseat Challenge is too light for the wheel? Same difference. I'd have had more sympathy if you'd complained about the quality of the rig though.

Having said that, I feel your pain. It's not nice when **** happens, and it does happen (as well you know). I'm also not impressed by the Fanatec rep here. I'm in the market for a wheel myself & have been looking at the CSL but his manner is off-putting, to say the least. He could've been polite & patient, helped the guy out and his company's reputation would've went through the roof. But to publicly challenge one of the people who - at the end of the day - pays your wage is not the way to do it. He could've just said nothing at all.

The customer is always king. Or at least, they have to be made to feel like they are.

Not a big of the " customer is always king" theory.

The customer works hard for his money and so does the company which delivers the product.

If a customer does not behave in a bar he will be kicked out. If you make an off-road tour with a normal rental car you have to pay for it.
You drop your phone - you pay. There is always a line which cannot be crossed

Once again: We do help our customers but we do not encourage public bashing by rewarding it with special treatment. This would be the wrong signal.

There are plenty of customers which got way more than they were entitled to get just because they approached us in a nice way and through the correct channels.

You want to be treated as a king? Then act like a king.

Not a big of the " customer is always king" theory.

The customer works hard for his money and so does the company which delivers the product.

If a customer does not behave in a bar he will be kicked out. If you make an off-road tour with a normal rental car you have to pay for it.
You drop your phone - you pay. There is always a line which cannot be crossed

Once again: We do help our customers but we do not encourage public bashing by rewarding it with special treatment. This would be the wrong signal.

There are plenty of customers which got way more than they were entitled to get just because they approached us in a nice way and through the correct channels.

You want to be treated as a king? Then act like a king.

You don't seem to understand subtlety at all. What about discretion? Heard of that? You know you're hounding a customer in public, right? You see that, surely. You say "there are plenty of customers which got way more than they were entitled to get just because they approached us in a nice way and through the correct channels". Is their now some kind of rule of etiquette before your customers can expect a positive response?

You're digging a hole mate and I don't know who gave you the right to speak for your company but they made a big mistake. You can kiss goodbye to my 900 bucks.

For the first time, I see someone to drop and break his wheel and then complain that the wheel is not bulletproof.
I'm starting to consider that if some of the modifications which I do to my CSL Elite break it I will come here and make a new thread to complain that the wheel is not resistant to modification.:P

By the way, how many CEOs you will see on Saturday night staying here and answering questions, this requires a lot of passion.

it feels like u would like us on bended knee.and ask nicely. like mr fanatec please forgive me i accidentally tipoff my rig and the wheel hit the floor about 1 feet. and the streering colume it broke.the base is fine but the steering connection is broke. please can you help me.

ps i also have a fanatec gt3.

You don't seem to understand subtlety at all. What about discretion? Heard of that? You know you're hounding a customer in public, right? You see that, surely. You say "there are plenty of customers which got way more than they were entitled to get just because they approached us in a nice way and through the correct channels". Is their now some kind of rule of etiquette before your customers can expect a positive response?

You're digging a hole mate and I don't know who gave you the right to speak for your company but they made a big mistake. You can kiss goodbye to my 900 bucks.
He's called Thomas and he owns the company so I guess he gave himself the right ;)

I don't see that Thomas has done anything wrong in this thread. The OP blamed Fanatec for the wheel breaking even though it was dropped. If the OP had gone straight to Fanatec and said, 'I screwed up, can you help me?', I'm pretty sure they would have got a very different answer.

How any one can lay any blame at Fanatec's door in this whole incident is beyond me. People need to own there own mistakes.

He's called Thomas and he owns the company so I guess he gave himself the right ;)

I don't see that Thomas has done anything wrong in this thread. The OP blamed Fanatec for the wheel breaking even though it was dropped. If the OP had gone straight to Fanatec and said, 'I screwed up, can you help me?', I'm pretty sure they would have got a very different answer.

How any one can lay any blame at Fanatec's door in this whole incident is beyond me. People need to own there own mistakes.

The point I was making that you can bash the OP for his stupidity, but I dislike critique on the right for him to voice his opinion. @Fanatec... criticized him here on a public forum as bashing his product. It isn’t about “rewarding” him for an accident he caused himself. As the ceo he should have just said that the damage was caused by the OP’s own carelessness and products like these are not built to survive a fall like that. But that you will nonetheless will look deeper into the complaint and will provide an adequate solution. Please contact our customer support. Instead you react solely on the bashing of the product.

If you drop a glass accidentally in my restaurant I am not gonna ask you to buy another glass and pay for the damage of the broken glass. If you drop your phone accidentally in some cases you actually do get a replacement. If you have a car accident with a rental car. there first has to be an investigation to find out the cause. If a customer is unhappy of our service I will contact him/her and ask for additional information of the incident. I will then provide a win/win solution.

That solution could be a repair or replacement at cost of the OP. With perhaps a small discount or a discountcode on his next purchase at Fanatec (Within profit margin) Remember Fanatec already has OP’s money.

The point I was making that you can bash the OP for his stupidity, but I dislike critique on the right for him to voice his opinion. @Fanatec... criticized him here on a public forum as bashing his product. It isn’t about “rewarding” him for an accident he caused himself. As the ceo he should have just said that the damage was caused by the OP’s own carelessness and products like these are not built to survive a fall like that. But that you will nonetheless will look deeper into the complaint and will provide an adequate solution. Please contact our customer support. Instead you react solely on the bashing of the product.

If you drop a glass accidentally in my restaurant I am not gonna ask you to buy another glass and pay for the damage of the broken glass. If you drop your phone accidentally in some cases you actually do get a replacement. If you have a car accident with a rental car. there first has to be an investigation to find out the cause. If a customer is unhappy of our service I will contact him/her and ask for additional information of the incident. I will then provide a win/win solution.

That solution could be a repair or replacement at cost of the OP. With perhaps a small discount or a discountcode on his next purchase at Fanatec (Within profit margin) Remember Fanatec already has OP’s money.

Man why i think you hate fanatec in all of your posts? You get on my nerves almost every time you post something. Sorry for this but it is what i feel when i read posts from you.

I think that if you had seen the OP's original thread title you may have a different opinion. It was, to say the very least, inflammatory. Yes the OP has the right to voice his opinion about a product, but he should not post blatantly false thread titles.

Fanatec also posted that if the OP had gone about this in the correct, and more civilized manner, they would have helped him out, and in a later post also thanked the OP for setting his thread title right. Not much more he could do really given how this thread started out.

Man why i think you hate fanatec in all of your posts? You get on my nerves almost every time you post something. Sorry for this but it is what i feel when i read posts from you.
No offense. I own Fanatec pedals. And i have complimented Fanatec more then criticized them. I was even invited to their event a few weeks ago. Please do your research before posting nonsense like this. For example you can view my posts in the Fanatec podium thread. I just get annoyed a little by fanboyism and double standards. I am very neutral in these kind of discussions. But i respect your opinion nonetheless.

I think that if you had seen the OP's original thread title you may have a different opinion. It was, to say the very least, inflammatory. Yes the OP has the right to voice his opinion about a product, but he should not post blatantly false thread titles.

Fanatec also posted that if the OP had gone about this in the correct, and more civilized manner, they would have helped him out, and in a later post also thanked the OP for setting his thread title right. Not much more he could do really given how this thread started out.

Like I already posted I did not see the original title. So my opinion is based on what I am reading in the posts. OP had a stupid accident and wanted to vent his frustration. I also dropped my wheel and cracked the casing. I paid about 60€ Incl shipping for a replacement casing. So of course OP is in the wrong, but the way Thomas reacted to it isn’t really professional in my own opinion. That doesn’t mean I am bashing Fanatec.

The “rep” is actually the CEO of Fanatec.

Last edited:
In this case im on the side of fanatec. If someone act like a moron i would just ignore him. If that person were bit smarter and used other words, maybe this story had a happy end. But not in that circumstances!
edit: The real problem is this camping chair, it is dangerous! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Back