Fantasy Time: What Restomod Would You Do?

• Thread starter Pete05
  • 240 comments
Speaking of...

View attachment 692076 View attachment 692075 View attachment 692077

I'll take something along those lines, but go fully independant suspension, enhance aspects of the interior a la Singer, and (most importantly) add an aggressively streetported high-comp N/A 3 rotor. ITBs and a titanium exhaust will make it sing. Sticky tires, wide Wats, works flares, and aero just like the ones in the above pictures. Possibly even add an integrated roll cage to make it, in my eyes, an ideal street/track 1st gen 7.
I like your idea for an original RX-7. 👍

I'd add this bodykit...
IMG_0672.PNG

....and Watanabes for this stance...
IMG_0673.PNG

...and power it all with the twin turbo 13B/driveline from the FD series.

What would I do with that gorgeous 2000GT?

Remove the original driveline, wrap it in bubble wrap for safe keeping, replace it with the driveline from a late 90's Supra turbo.
Nothing else needs to be done to the exterior IMO. Look at it :bowdown:

This thread makes me wanna share some of my terrible ideas. I’ve been thinking about how some of more modest sport compacts out there would be like if money was no issue.

1024px-96-98_Honda_Civic_LX_sedan.jpg

Donor chassis will be the humble 96-00 Honda Civic.

The chassis will be stripped down, welded up, and reinforced with titanium and carbon fiber. Subframes from an Integra Type R will be used. Suspension bushings will be replaced with stiffer ones, while control arms and other pieces will be replaced with stronger, lighter equivalents. Coilovers will be purpose-built and set up for street use. Power steering will be converted to electric.

Brakes will be replaced with two-piece rotors and aluminum calipers, sized to fit under 15 inch wheels. Wheels will be Volk TE37s (they’re light and period correct, deal with it) with performance street tires.

The engine will be a K20A sourced from later Hondas. The engine will be rebuilt with newer lightweight internals, coated in various areas to reduce friction, as well as blueprinted and balanced. Compression ratio will be kept close to stock and the cylinder head will only see minor changes. A titanium exhaust system will be built and the stock intake manifold will be replaced by individual throttle bodies with a custom plenum. Dry-sump lubrication will be used in place of the standard wet-sump. The ignition and fuel system will be redone with modern components.

Bodywork will be from the later model 98-00 Civic with an SI front lip, and foglights. Spoon mirrors will replace the stock units and various body panels will be remade in carbon fiber. The interior of the car will remain close to stock and retain radio, heat, and air conditioning. Front seats will be replaced with leather Recaros while the rear seats and the rest of the interior is upholstered appropriately.

I'll take a route different from most here.

*deep breath*

daimler_double_six_coupe_exterior-1.JPG

Early Daimler Double-Six coupé (the XJ-based example as shown above, not a pre-war car), seam-welded and Dynamatted to within an inch of its life with all new "cush" underpinnings. Fine tan leathers fill the cabin, accompanied by matching blond burlwood veneer dash and console with engine turned aluminum dash panel, polished brass bezels and backlit alabaster gauge faces and accessory control buttons. All that extra weight calls for a bump in power, so a later 6.0L V12 is punched out to 7 "litres" (hey, it's English)--but it's not loud--and backed by a torque tube and Corvette 8L90 transaxle (better balance is desirable even if one doesn't intend to toss a car into the corners) with pre-selector functionality--with those same backlit alabaster buttons--and third pedal engagement to complement full-auto mode. The exterior is slathered in green; not the cliché BRG, mind, but a green so dark, far beyond, say, a Brunswick Green, that it appears black in all but the brightest light, and capped off with a blond vinyl top to complement the interior. Rolling stock are mid-'90s XJ6 Kiwi double-ovals plus-sized to 18" (because the standard E70R15s for the car allow for the +3 increase while retaining a decent sidewall for comfort). This is a continent-crosser.

*gasp*

Edit: Rethinking the 18s. 17s wrapped in 215/55s are likely to be more aesthetically pleasing, plus the taller sidewall would allow for an even more comfortable ride and transfer less road noise.

Last edited:
While we're on the topic of RX-7s, I'd really love to have a restomodded FC. The engine will be a twin-turbo 20B sourced from an Eunos Cosmo, upgraded to make up towards 500-550 HP. The transmission will be a 6-speed manual swapped from a 370Z Z34. The suspension will be fully independent while the ride height will be lowered through the use of coilovers. The exhaust system will be upgraded to a titanium system and carbon brakes will be installed as well. As far as looks go, I wouldn't do a lot as I mostly want to retain the look of the original car. Both the headlights and taillights will be updated with LED lighting. The fenders are going to be a bit wider than stock and there will be a slightly bigger wing installed onto the rear of the car. The interior will be mostly stripped down to save weight while still retaining several basic features such as air conditioning and radio. The tires on the car will become slicker and wider while the stock wheels will be replaced with 19-inch Enkei RPF1s.

I imagine that the end result would look a little something just like this:
716244d1501884704-pics-request-fc-rpf1s-dsc04044.jpg

Last edited:
I like your idea for an original RX-7. 👍

I'd add this bodykit...
View attachment 692089
....and Watanabes for this stance...
View attachment 692090
...and power it all with the twin turbo 13B/driveline from the FD series.

What would I do with that gorgeous 2000GT?

Remove the original driveline, wrap it in bubble wrap for safe keeping, replace it with the driveline from a late 90's Supra turbo.
Nothing else needs to be done to the exterior IMO. Look at it :bowdown:
In the same vein as the 2000GT, I just got the idea of a Jaguar E-Type/XK-E with an F-Type drivetrain. V6 or V8, either one could work just fine.

In the same vein as the 2000GT, I just got the idea of a Jaguar E-Type/XK-E with an F-Type drivetrain. V6 or V8, either one could work just fine.
Ooooh yes!

I can't decide so, I'll have one of each.

'61 convertible V6 in BRG &
Series 1 FHC with the V8.

Ooooh yes!

I can't decide so, I'll have one of each.

'61 convertible V6 in BRG &
Series 1 FHC with the V8.
What would you say about giving the V8 one all wheel drive? The V8 F-Types do have all wheel drive after all.

I'd probably do something like a Ferrari 250 GTO body with a small block Chevy 350 crate engine. Paint it in period colors, use it as a track day toy. I mean, I'm never going to afford a 250 GTO anyway, so why not just build one how I want to?

I'd probably do something like a Ferrari 250 GTO body with a small block Chevy 350 crate engine. Paint it in period colors, use it as a track day toy. I mean, I'm never going to afford a 250 GTO anyway, so why not just build one how I want to?
Yeah, there's cars out there that are so rare & valueable in their original condition, that to modify them in anyway would be to commit crimes of automotive vandalism.

This where reproductions & replicas have a role to play.

Having said that, my idea in an earlier post for the Toyota 2000GT, would be done so that it could be seen to be totally reversible to original condition.

Yeah, there's cars out there that are so rare & valueable in their original condition, that to modify them in anyway would be to commit crimes of automotive vandalism.

This where reproductions & replicas have a role to play.

Having said that, my idea in an earlier post for the Toyota 2000GT, would be done so that it could be seen to be totally reversible to original condition.

In the same way of some people putting modern underpinnings in a Cobra or GT40 replica. Wasn't there somebody who put a diesel engine in a Cobra replica? I remember reading it on Speedhunters once a year or two ago.

In the same way of some people putting modern underpinnings in a Cobra or GT40 replica. Wasn't there somebody who put a diesel engine in a Cobra replica? I remember reading it on Speedhunters once a year or two ago.
Jeez!

I don't know what more of a sin, a diesel Cobra or, the guy that put a Duramax into a Chevelle about 2 years ago :odd:

What's next? A beautiful classic butchered so that it can accept Tesla running gear :yuck:

This:

I really liked the 1st Gen Subaru Impreza WRX STI and it annoys me that I can't have one due to import laws and what not. So, I would take a 2.5 RS and convert it into a STI like in that video. Basically, I would want it to perform and drive at least close to how a late 90s STI drives.

1970-bel-air-1.jpg

1970 Bel Air.

Keep it looking stock. Lump in a LS something with a modern 6 speed slushbox, Jaguar rear axle and I would have the perfect cruiser to give to my dad.

246.JPG
247.JPG
275.JPG

My wife's old '60 XK Falcon and my past '83 Corona.
She wanted any V8 in it with a manual.

I was happy just to lower the Corona, but my wife said to put a Supra engine in it. :lol: I'd probably do that with this fantasy. A JGTC Supra heart, sequential box, sticky tyres and I'd keep it Toyota beige.

Edit: Last pic is after she sold it to a family friend. On airbags, striping and interior redone.

Last edited:
View attachment 693556 View attachment 693557 View attachment 693558

My wife's old '60 XK Falcon and my past '83 Corona.
She wanted any V8 in it with a manual.

I was happy just to lower the Corona, but my wife said to put a Supra engine in it. :lol: I'd probably do that with this fantasy. A JGTC Supra heart, sequential box, sticky tyres and I'd keep it Toyota beige.

Edit: Last pic is after she sold it to a family friend. On airbags, striping and interior redone.
There's a fella down here that races an XK in Appendix J/Group N so....

I'd build a replica of this, the first Falcon to race at Bathurst and, aim to steal his glory :mischievous:
IMG_0677.PNG

There was a guy that raced your model Corona years back in Improved Production but, I'm lost for what he had under the bonnet.

There's a fella down here that races an XK in Appendix J/Group N so....

I'd build a replica of this, the first Falcon to race at Bathurst and, aim to steal his glory :mischievous:
View attachment 693561

There was a guy that raced your model Corona years back in Improved Production but, I'm lost for what he had under the bonnet.
I've seen an '85 Corona wagon 2.4i w/turbo. Wasn't the prettiest, but deserved sleeper status.

Well this thread has sure languished.

This one's oriented a fair bit more toward performance than my previous submission.

76bittercd1.jpg
76bittercd3.jpg

The Bitter CD, a GT based on the Opel Diplomat "B" and equipped with a Chevrolet 327, 3-speed automatic transmission and a DeDion rear suspension. Body was styled by inimitable GM designer Chuck Jordan with the assistance of Dave Holls--a killer combination.

Keeping with the German roots of the car but deviating from company of manufacture, a Porsche 944 substructure has been stretched and widened to suit the larger Bitter's proportions.

A 944 Turbo 5-speed manual now sits at the rear and 968 Club Sport suspension components are employed all the way around. The original DeDion rear suspension is nifty, but it was obsolete in the 1970s and Opel's version wasn't the best implementation to begin with. New wheels have been manufactured in 17" diameter and conform to the style of the original Campagnolo pieces; they're shod with 225/50 and 255/45 rubber front and rear respectively, replacing 215/70R14s at all four corners.

The heart of the beast still comes frome Chevrolet and is still of the V8 configuration, but that stylish body and improved chassis call for something pretty special under that long, front-hinged hood. Well, Chevrolet V8s don't get much more special than the Lotus-developed DOHC LT5 that bowed in the 1990 Corvette ZR-1.

Interior is gutted with a new dash and console designed to evoke a late '70s Porsche 911 SC and everything wrapped in caramel-colored leather.
Exterior color shouldn't deviate from the example shown at the top, as it looks pretty fantastic.

My design philosophy for a restomod would be to mod a car that never really lived up to its potential in the first place. Cars that always made people wonder what might have been, if only. Cars that were flawed but loved none-the-less. So I submit two (really obvious) examples for restomodding:

01-mazda-rx7-icon.jpg

The RX7 FD is one of the very first cars that I ever truly gawked at in person. I saw one go down the road and I just... followed it. My head couldn't help but track it. And I said to myself, what was that. I remember it vividly, and it was a turning point in my interest in cars.

Obviously then you'd expect me to have one instead of the other 90s Japanese sports cars that I have. The problems with the FD are well documented. And people have been trying to fix them forever. Still, doing the FD right is a tribute to one of the most beautiful cars out there.

honda-s2000-edition-100.jpg

Another car that could use a power plant improvement. I get that for some people the idea of wringing a car out to get to its power is the fun, but this car could have been so much more to so many people if it didn't require wringing to really enjoy. Because having to do that marginalizes the fun to a few select moments.

Back