Fantasy Time: What Restomod Would You Do?

• Thread starter Pete05
  • 240 comments
Just put some box flares on there and it's settled. :lol:
I mean...the Clio V6 that was cited originally was almost a foot wider than the standard Clio on which it was "based".

I just got an idea: Give an old 911 the Singer treatment but with the drivetrain of the 991 Turbo. I'd say GT3 drivetrain if the Singer-Williams DLS didn't exist.

How dumb would turning a Dodge Caravan mid-engine and plopping a Viper engine into it be? Asking strictly for scientific research yesssiree not something I'd do at all...:embarrassed:

But if we had to be reasonable: either a late 60's Malibu wagon/LS7/6L90 combo in some sort of in-your-face color OR a 6th gen Civic Si.....convertible.

How dumb would turning a Dodge Caravan mid-engine and plopping a Viper engine into it be? Asking strictly for scientific research yesssiree not something I'd do at all...:embarrassed:

But if we had to be reasonable: either a late 60's Malibu wagon/LS7/6L90 combo in some sort of in-your-face color OR a 6th gen Civic Si.....convertible.
The Dodge Caravan idea sounds like an American take on the Ford Transit SuperVans they did in the 70's/80's & the Renault Espace that had a F1 V10 hiding in its middle.

I mean...the Clio V6 that was cited originally was almost a foot wider than the standard Clio on which it was "based".
The same was done to the SHOgun.
Maybe a bit of massaging the rear, instead of box fenders, could still look factory. Some crafty panel beaters out there.

The same was done to the SHOgun.
Maybe a bit of massaging the rear, instead of box fenders, could still look factory. Some crafty panel beaters out there.
Sort of like what BMW do with the M models or AMG does to a standard Merc 👍

I would be remiss if i didn't include the MkII MR2 in this list.

mr2-4.jpg

Engine swaps are available for these cars. My to-do list on a restomod would be engine, suspension, exhaust, stereo, and a carefully thought-out cupholder.

I'd restomod a Ford T. Probably a brass era one from 1909-1916. I've always wanted a T as a daily driver. Period correct and modern day aftermarket mods exist to make them feel like a more modern car without changing the look of the car. These are the mods I would add:
  • 4 wheel drum brakes. WAY better then the transmission brake.
  • Steel wire wheels from a '26 or '27 T. Better than than wooden spoked wheels.
  • LED Turn signals, brake lights, and headlights. Brass Model Ts had carbide gas headlights so electric lights would be way better.
  • lapbelts (maybe)
  • Electric starter. I wouldn't feel like crank starting everyday.
  • Distributer. More reliable than the original ignition system.
  • Removable side window flaps for weather protection.
  • Fuel Pump
  • Water Pump
  • ef9e1528e97fc2b204abcd4e93f99dcaecc0bea2.jpg

Last edited:
Engine swap. Try to fit a modern GTI motor and better brakes. If possible, lower the car a little bit.

OK, I'll try one of these:

1960 Chrysler 300F
10518649-1960-chrysler-300-std.jpg

Firm up the suspension, put disc brakes all around. Swap in a mildly hopped up modern 6.4 Hemi, backed by an 8 speed auto. Keep the stock rims, but swap the tires for modern radials. Keeping the whitewalls, of course.

OK, I'll try one of these:

1960 Chrysler 300F
10518649-1960-chrysler-300-std.jpg

Firm up the suspension, put disc brakes all around. Swap in a mildly hopped up modern 6.4 Hemi, backed by an 8 speed auto. Keep the stock rims, but swap the tires for modern radials. Keeping the whitewalls, of course.

Might want to add headrests.

Just sayin... adding a bunch of horsepower and better brakes without updating at least that tiny safety feature seems... shortsighted.
Well if I died in a car accident in a car like that, at least I'd die in style. :P

I wouldn't replace those seats. I love the look of lowback seats. If I did want the saftey of headrestraints, I would buy removable headrests for it so when the car is parked at a car show or something, I can remove them to give it that vintage look.
octo1110.jpg

Well if I died in a car accident in a car like that, at least I'd die in style. :P

I wouldn't replace those seats. I love the look of lowback seats. If I did want the saftey of headrestraints, I would buy removable headrests for it so when the car is parked at a car show or something, I can remove them to give it that vintage look.
octo1110.jpg

This is restomod fantasy world, we can invent a seat that pops a headrest up from inside and tucks it away when the car is off.

Just sayin... adding a bunch of horsepower and better brakes without updating at least that tiny safety feature seems... shortsighted.

I get what you're saying. Though I'm not sure this car even had seatbelts when new. May have been optional.

I do like the idea of hideaway headrests to keep the classic look.

It's about time I propose an American car, so hold onto your butts.

Personal luxury, personalized--1967 Ford Thunderbird four-door.

191494_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

For its fifth generation, Ford introduced a different kind of Thunderbird--one with four doors. The new configuration joined the existing two-door in the lineup and featured rear-swinging ("suicide") doors and a pillared hardtop with padded vinyl and landau bars that helped to hide the fact that it had two extra doors.

Mechanically, this one stays relatively tame with freshened coil spring suspension all the way around and a 428 Cobra-Jet that's simply been allowed to breathe, backed by a thoroughly modern 6R80 six-speed automatic for unstressed cruising.

The car came with what I think is a very handsome dash and console, and it stays but is treated to brushed nickel reliefs with polished nickel bezels and brightwork. The soft bits of the dash get charcoal vinyl and the seats are wrapped in charcoal leather. Warm grey sisal carpet complements the brushed nickel.

The exterior is where things take a turn. One of the best things about four-doors of this period was the availability of true hardtops, but the Thunderbird didn't take advantage of that.

To make this happen, the entire roof is carefully cut off, from the top of the windshield all the way back to the decklid, just barely saving the vents at the base of the rear window. This isn't meant to be a big roadster, so covering the interior is accomplished by scavenging a roof from a four-door hardtop 1967 Impala, heavily modified to match the length, height and crown of the roof it's replacing. The only thing not made to match the original is the angle of the rear glass.

The only thing left to sort are exterior dressings, and for that, a paint from the previous generation Thunderbird is selected, Sauterne Gold Metallic, and 15" Kelsey Hayes MagStar wheels are shod with 215/75R15 redline rubber.

Last edited:
It's about time I propose an American car, so hold onto your butts.

Personal luxury, personalized--1967 Ford Thunderbird four-door.

191494_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

For its fifth generation, Ford introduced a different kind of Thunderbird--one with four doors. The new configuration joined the existing two-door in the lineup and featured rear-swinging ("suicide") doors and a pillared hardtop with padded vinyl and landau bars that helped to hide the fact that it had two extra doors.

Mechanically, this one stays relatively tame with freshened coil spring suspension all the way around and a 428 Cobra-Jet that's simply been allowed to breathe, backed by a thoroughly modern 6R80 six-speed automatic for unstressed cruising.

The car came with what I think is a very handsome dash and console, and it stays but is treated to brushed nickel reliefs with polished nickel bezels and brightwork. The soft bits of the dash get charcoal vinyl and the seats are wrapped in charcoal leather. Warm grey sisal carpet complements the brushed nickel.

The exterior is where things take a turn. One of the best things about four-doors of this period was the availability of true hardtops, but the Thunderbird didn't take advantage of that.

To make this happen, the entire roof is carefully cut off, from the top of the windshield all the way back to the decklid, just barely saving the vents at the base of the rear window. This isn't meant to be a big roadster, so covering the interior is accomplished by scavenging a roof from a four-door hardtop 1967 Impala, heavily modified to match the length, height and crown of the roof it's replacing. The only thing not made to match the original is the angle of the rear glass.

The only thing left to sort are exterior dressings, and for that, a paint from the previous generation Thunderbird is selected, Sauterne Gold Metallic, and 15" Kelsey Hayes MagStar wheels are shod with 215/75R15 redline rubber.
I like your proposal, I like it a lot with one or two exceptions.

I’d be using charcoal leather or alcantara instead of vinyl for the dashboard & I just couldn’t bring myself to cut any of that beautiful bodywork.

I like your proposal, I like it a lot with one or two exceptions.

I’d be using charcoal leather or alcantara instead of vinyl for the dashboard & I just couldn’t bring myself to cut any of that beautiful bodywork.
I can appreciate both of those ["zebra farts" just showed up in my predictive text bar, :lol:] points.

Back