Fantasy Time: What Restomod Would You Do?

• Thread starter Pete05
  • 240 comments
5968098729_2b60808f40_z.jpg

Is that a Toronado trans?

I've been fantasizing lately about taking a front-engined car and making it mid-engined. Some specific candidates:

Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT. This one even looks like it wants to be mid engined. And because the original powertrain is transverse and the platform is engineered to send power to the rear wheels, it seems actually plausible. I'm sure the body structure would need some reinforcing, and a firewall would need to be constructed...but it would make the side-lined 3000GT actually awesome.

oBl7hH1.jpg

I've been fantasizing lately about taking a front-engined car and making it mid-engined. Some specific candidates:

Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT. This one even looks like it wants to be mid engined. And because the original powertrain is transverse and the platform is engineered to send power to the rear wheels, it seems actually plausible. I'm sure the body structure would need some reinforcing, and a firewall would need to be constructed...but it would make the side-lined 3000GT actually awesome.

oBl7hH1.jpg

The other one I thought of was the Mercedes 190e. I even scaled some drawings to determine if the Mercedes V12 would fit behind the front seats with a gearbox attached. Spoiler alert: It wouldn't...not even close. I think the only way to do it would be with a transverse setup and I think the V12 might actually fit sideways, with the gearbox behind, ala Muira. It wouldn't look as cool as the longitudinal setup, but might have better weight distribution.

Lastly I was trying to think of an American muscle car that would be cool with an MR setup.

First gen Barracuda certainly has the rear glass for it, but I've never been to keen on the body shape
1966-PLYMOUTH-BARRACUDA-rear.jpg

Then I thought maybe a 2nd-gen Camaro
154296_Rear_3-4_Web.JPG

But Camaros have too much baggage.

Maybe a Chevy Monza could be cool. MR layout looks plausible, and the engine could be on display under the rear glass
70cW50n.jpg

Keep it simple. LS1 with ~350hp, 6 speed transaxle.
It's funny timing that you have this idea at this time.

Chevrolet has spent the better part of 50+ years dreaming of a mid-engined Corvette. Anything from design drawings all the way to running concept vehicles.

I watched brief clip on Facebook the other day showing the results of someone taking a C8 Corvette & turning it into a front-engined, rear-wheel-drive.

I looks as mean as Mike Tyson chewing a small hive of hornets. Sounds the biz too.

autoevolution.com/news/front-engined-corvette-c8-returns-looks-like-a-dragster-142253.html

Last edited:
Also the 3000GT has a separate rear subframe like it's brother the Diamante to easier facilitate the original manufacture of the AWD models, so maybe that would help in the quest to put a second engine in the middle and push towards making it a 3000KG.

The VW SP2.

iu

iu

The front end lights have to be modernized (looks and better lighting). Lower the car, make it a little bit wider and put wider wheels on it. The chrome trim strips around the windows in black. Modern exterior mirrors and lose the (triangle) window where the exterior windows are.
A modern engine, suspension, brakes.

The interior has to change a lot. Keep the layout of the dashboard but make it modern. Modern seats and steering wheel of course. Door trim .... .

1974-Volkswagen-SP2-Project-in-the-USA-For-Sale-Interior.jpg

The VW SP2.

iu

iu

The front end lights have to be modernized (looks and better lighting). Lower the car, make it a little bit wider and put wider wheels on it. The chrome trim strips around the windows in black. Modern exterior mirrors and lose the (triangle) window where the exterior windows are.

The interior has to change a lot. Keep the layout of the dashboard but make it modern. Modern seats and steering wheel of course. Door trim .... .

It sounds like what you want is a Singer or Emory SP2.

The VW SP2.

iu

iu

e47b3449d177afd2cca41f56cceaab62.jpg

I've been a bit obsessed with this idea since having a weird dream where I won a brand new one, despite them being out of production for 40 years.

Anyway I want to take one of these:-

1982-Austin-Mini-Van-Image-010.jpg

And do this:-

1280px-David_Brown_Mini_Remastered_Genf_2018.jpg

Same colour as well. However I would probably do a V-Tech swap and as this is fantasy land, some properly sorted Hydragas set up.

Last edited:
The Ford Maverick has always been one of my restomod fantasies. I would like to do something tasteful, and daily drivable using a Shelby GT350 theme. I would probably use early Coyote power, mildly modernize the suspension and brakes etc...

Nothing crazy really I know, more of a what if? kind of idea.

This thread makes me wanna share some of my terrible ideas. I’ve been thinking about how some of more modest sport compacts out there would be like if money was no issue.

1024px-96-98_Honda_Civic_LX_sedan.jpg

Donor chassis will be the humble 96-00 Honda Civic.

The chassis will be stripped down, welded up, and reinforced with titanium and carbon fiber. Subframes from an Integra Type R will be used. Suspension bushings will be replaced with stiffer ones, while control arms and other pieces will be replaced with stronger, lighter equivalents. Coilovers will be purpose-built and set up for street use. Power steering will be converted to electric.

Brakes will be replaced with two-piece rotors and aluminum calipers, sized to fit under 15 inch wheels. Wheels will be Volk TE37s (they’re light and period correct, deal with it) with performance street tires.

The engine will be a K20A sourced from later Hondas. The engine will be rebuilt with newer lightweight internals, coated in various areas to reduce friction, as well as blueprinted and balanced. Compression ratio will be kept close to stock and the cylinder head will only see minor changes. A titanium exhaust system will be built and the stock intake manifold will be replaced by individual throttle bodies with a custom plenum. Dry-sump lubrication will be used in place of the standard wet-sump. The ignition and fuel system will be redone with modern components.

Bodywork will be from the later model 98-00 Civic with an SI front lip, and foglights. Spoon mirrors will replace the stock units and various body panels will be remade in carbon fiber. The interior of the car will remain close to stock and retain radio, heat, and air conditioning. Front seats will be replaced with leather Recaros while the rear seats and the rest of the interior is upholstered appropriately.
nah this is boujee as hell why did I say this

1953/4 Chevy 210 Club Coupe (because club coupes are always cool) and replace the old Stovebolt Six with a modern inline-6, the GM Atlas LL8 aka Vortec 4200. Refresh the rest of the running gear as well, give it a nice stance on Radir Tri-Ribs and cruise off into the sunset.
746E4DD4-6682-4128-996F-902C878806A3.jpeg

6B7E0E7E-DC03-46E3-8595-96CD8ED6D5C1.jpeg

The other one I thought of was the Mercedes 190e. I even scaled some drawings to determine if the Mercedes V12 would fit behind the front seats with a gearbox attached. Spoiler alert: It wouldn't...not even close. I think the only way to do it would be with a transverse setup and I think the V12 might actually fit sideways, with the gearbox behind, ala Muira. It wouldn't look as cool as the longitudinal setup, but might have better weight distribution.
So I don't know why the hell I recalled this post or why the idea came to me, but what about a symmetrical dual chain or belt drive from a standard mid/longitudinal gearbox? Sort of like a Honda S500/600, but flipped around so that the output shafts are ahead of the differential centerline.

MLHondaS600_06_1200.jpg

The cases could even be pulled in right next to the motor and bolted stationary with short CV axles out to the hubs. The drive units can be as long as needed, though it shouldn't be that much if I'm accurately picturing the V12 between the seats and the rear hubs of the car, with the primary space constraint being the transmission's nose going beyond the rear bumper...but I don't see it being even close, especially if you have a shift linkage going into the side of the case instead of the rear.

If you're worried about the torque capacity, go with helical gears and they'll be quiet as well as strong.

So I don't know why the hell I recalled this post or why the idea came to me, but what about a symmetrical dual chain or belt drive from a standard mid/longitudinal gearbox? Sort of like a Honda S500/600, but flipped around so that the output shafts are ahead of the differential centerline.

MLHondaS600_06_1200.jpg

The cases could even be pulled in right next to the motor and bolted stationary with short CV axles out to the hubs. The drive units can be as long as needed, though it shouldn't be that much if I'm accurately picturing the V12 between the seats and the rear hubs of the car, with the primary space constraint being the transmission's nose going beyond the rear bumper...but I don't see it being even close, especially if you have a shift linkage going into the side of the case instead of the rear.

If you're worried about the torque capacity, go with helical gears and they'll be quiet as well as strong.
A convoluted and expensive engineering solution to a largely unnecessary aesthetic problem? Of course I like it.

Last edited:
Not sure if it could be considered a restomod, but it is a vehicle that can be considered an antique (where I live at least). I am sure someone somewhere has already thought of this, but I wanted to put it down somewhere. If I hadn't bought my current project car, I'd totally consider doing this. How about...a replica of the Super Touring XV10 Toyota Camry, but in wagon form like the famous BTCC Volvo 850 estates?

Touring car modifications and livery
Volvo-850-BTCC-Race-Car-1200x710.jpg

+ Camry wagon
toyota_camry_1992_pictures_1.jpg

= This Super Touring Camry, but in wagon form

Toyota-Camry-XV10-TRD-Touring-640x440.jpg

Wish I was someone decent at creating things in photoshop, but hopefully you folks get the idea. Man, I want an XV10 Camry badly now, especially since I'm having some nostalgia for them as my dad owned one at some point.

Not sure if it could be considered a restomod, but it is a vehicle that can be considered an antique (where I live at least). I am sure someone somewhere has already thought of this, but I wanted to put it down somewhere. If I hadn't bought my current project car, I'd totally consider doing this. How about...a replica of the Super Touring XV10 Toyota Camry, but in wagon form like the famous BTCC Volvo 850 estates?

Touring car modifications and livery
Volvo-850-BTCC-Race-Car-1200x710.jpg

+ Camry wagon
toyota_camry_1992_pictures_1.jpg

= This Super Touring Camry, but in wagon form

Toyota-Camry-XV10-TRD-Touring-640x440.jpg

Wish I was someone decent at creating things in photoshop, but hopefully you folks get the idea. Man, I want an XV10 Camry badly now, especially since I'm having some nostalgia for them as my dad owned one at some point.
I owned a 4-cylinder manual ‘95 sedan, same Color as that wagon. Definitely crossed my mind to customise it similar to the touring car. Loved the wagon too, with its double rear wipers.

One of those cars I seem to keep forgetting exists and that I really want to own one day, and then I see one in traffic and it gets the imagination going again: 3rd gen Ford Ranger. Specifically, an extended cab, non step-side. I love the body lines on these.

7598534086_52a1f7c671_b.jpg

• Canyon carver build that I assume could also tow a ~3,000lb car every once in a while if I ever needed to.
  • 4.6L DOHC engine out of an '03-'04 Mustang Mach 1. Not the supercharged Termi just because I love a good N/A engine; it'd be fun to try to build it into a higher-RPM screamer. About 350whp would be perfect.
  • Tremec T-56 manual? ...not actually sure which trans I'd go with, I'm not too knowledgeable in that area.
  • Full independent suspension & limited slip
  • Wheel/fender stance like the above image. Probably steel wheels like that, too, it looks tough! Black Terminator Cobra wheels would be a top choice as well.
Man, I miss how small some pickups used to be.

Last edited:
Back