Far Cry Primal 2016

Hmmm, as a huge Far Cry fan I am interested. It's going to be interesting how the story will be and not having guns will be a nice change. Should be good I imagine.

I agree, I think it would be better if Ubisoft released this outside of the Far Cry franchise.
It's going to be one of those things that polarises people. Personally, I like the idea - too many games (and players) rely on guns. It was one of the things I liked about Dead Island and Dying Light; the minimal reliance on weapons that you'd constantly need to be finding ammunition for. This will be more about skill.

I'm sure the character will find a way to produce fully automatic and long range crossbows to keep people like me happy.

It's a fascinating concept for a game, but Far Cry 4 is going to be a very hard act to follow. Nobody does meta-gaming like the Far Cry series.

It will be interesting to see how this compares with the Ark Survival game that is being released in 2016.

Similar concept and era but Ark has weapons and is an MMO and already looks VERY good.

I imagine this will be very boring, a Far Cry without advanced weapons and vehicles...
I quite enjoyed riding the elephant around with a co-op partner on their own elephant causing total chaos.

It's going to be one of those things that polarises people. Personally, I like the idea - too many games (and players) rely on guns. It was one of the things I liked about Dead Island and Dying Light; the minimal reliance on weapons that you'd constantly need to be finding ammunition for. This will be more about skill.

Got a point there and I agree that most games rely too much on guns, but that's the first thing most people associate Far Cry with, I think.
And for some people it might be a welcome change to the Far Cry franchise, but it also might be less attractive for the Far Cry gun mode fans.

But there's possibly more to it than we can deduct from this teaser alone.

Got a point there and I agree that most games rely too much on guns, but that's the first thing most people associate Far Cry with, I think.
I have to say that I disagree with that. Far Cry is an excellent shooter, but I don't think that its shooting mechanics are necessarily synonymous with the series. Rather, I think its appeal lies in its ability to subvert player expectations; in many ways, while you play the game, the game plays you. Look at Far Cry 3 where the mission is to rescue your friends, but your friends are all horrible people - Liza wants Jason to grow up, but only on her terms and denies him any sense of identity unless he follows her script. In the end, you wind up killing hundreds (if not thousands) of people for the sake of a cause that is increaingly difficult to justify. Likewise Far Cry 4, where you are repeatedly misled in the fight with Pagan Min - where he is portrayed as a bloodthirsty, ruthless and dangerously unstable tyrant by the Golden Path, an alternative view shows a man who let his own personal tragedy get the better of him and that the war in Kyrat is an extension of his fighting his own grief, and the game counts on you getting caught up in side-quests and missing the finer points that duggest something is amiss.

So I will be curious to see how Far Cry Primal continues this trend.

I have to say that I disagree with that. Far Cry is an excellent shooter, but I don't think that its shooting mechanics are necessarily synonymous with the series. Rather, I think its appeal lies in its ability to subvert player expectations; in many ways, while you play the game, the game plays you. Look at Far Cry 3 where the mission is to rescue your friends, but your friends are all horrible people - Liza wants Jason to grow up, but only on her terms and denies him any sense of identity unless he follows her script. In the end, you wind up killing hundreds (if not thousands) of people for the sake of a cause that is increaingly difficult to justify. Likewise Far Cry 4, where you are repeatedly misled in the fight with Pagan Min - where he is portrayed as a bloodthirsty, ruthless and dangerously unstable tyrant by the Golden Path, an alternative view shows a man who let his own personal tragedy get the better of him and that the war in Kyrat is an extension of his fighting his own grief, and the game counts on you getting caught up in side-quests and missing the finer points that duggest something is amiss.

So I will be curious to see how Far Cry Primal continues this trend.

That's story wise which was not up for discussion(I did not question the story or where the appeal lies), if asked how to classify Far Cry games, people will mostly say it's an first person shooter, that's what I tried to point out. (hence popular quote "Like Skyrim with guns")
And with Primal they are entering the first person survival genre even more, even though using a bow and arrow is technically still shooting. :)

But possibly Ubisoft want a broader audience or felt they wanted a new direction for the franchise or it might be just be a special thing as Blood Dragon.
It can bring fans of the franchise a fresh look at more survival gameplay mechanics and can also attract fans of survival games to the Far Cry franchise.

Either way probably to early to tell exactly, by this teaser alone.

Last edited:
@Flex0r - I would say it's quite difficult to classify the games. Sure, they're open-world shooters, but the games are closely tied to the concept of being on the frontier, with the player character right on the threshold of descending into hell. If anything, they're similar to Metal Gear Solid's "Subsistence" mode.

@Flex0r - I would say it's quite difficult to classify the games. Sure, they're open-world shooters, but the games are closely tied to the concept of being on the frontier, with the player character right on the threshold of descending into hell. If anything, they're similar to Metal Gear Solid's "Subsistence" mode.

True, classification can be tricky as there are plenty of grey area's with mixed genres.

Must say that it's good to see a large dev is trying new things instead of being stuck, nailed and riveted to what they know and do a copy and paste, slap on the Ubisoft formula, and done.

Must say that it's good to see a large dev is trying new things instead of being stuck, nailed and riveted to what they know and do a copy and paste, slap on the Ubisoft formula, and done.
Some of their best games have been the ones that did something new and interesting. Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 stand out for their subversive elements, but Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed Rogue introduced naval gameplay that was a lot of fun (the only missed opportunity was an Edward vs. Shay title).

Looks like an interesting game! I've never played Far Cry, so I'm pretty much reading what you guys are saying to get the gist of the series.:lol: I've been massively looking forward to Ark Survival Evolved on PS4, but I'm going to keep an eye on this too.

I hope it stays true to it's name, Primal. No crafting of automatic weapons or anything like that. Just rocks, spears, bows and a solid hunting system.

I hope it stays true to it's name, Primal. No crafting of automatic weapons or anything like that. Just rocks, spears, bows and a solid hunting system.
Yeah, I'll be pissed if we find out it involves time travel and such.......not too pissed though :sly:.

True, and the naval combat in AC truly was a fresh gameplay mechanic, but it still relied heavily on the go to high point, hit "discover" button, unlock stuff.
Ubisoft relies on that gameplay mechanic a bit too much for my taste in all their open world games.
The reason I became bored with Watch Dogs quite quickly.

So I'd love if they come up with a variety of unlocking stuff or at least one that doesn't become repetitive so quickly.

Because it's becoming a bit of a standard for open world games as Mad Max demonstrates.

But enough of my complaints about gameplay mechanics.:rolleyes:
Back ontopic.

Looks like an interesting game! I've never played Far Cry, so I'm pretty much reading what you guys are saying to get the gist of the series.:lol: I've been massively looking forward to Ark Survival Evolved on PS4, but I'm going to keep an eye on this too.
I'd recommend Far Cry 4, if you're interested. As far as open-world first-person shooters go, there's nothing better out there. There are plenty of missions and side-quests and collectibles, and even just exploring the world is fun and rewarding. And it helps that the voice cast is outstanding to boot.

I'd recommend Far Cry 4, if you're interested...And it helps that the voice cast is outstanding to boot.
I was about to say what about FC3 and Michael Mando but having just looked at who Troy Baker has voiced over the years, I think you are absolutely correct: Joel, Delsin Rowe and Pagan Min? That's quite a range of difference, not to mention the hundred or so other game characters I have no idea about.

Last edited:
I was about to say what about FC3 and Michael Mando but having just looked at who Troy Baker has voiced over the years, I think you are absolutely correct: Joel, Delsin Rowe and Pagan Min? That's quite a range difference, not to mention the hundred or so other game characters I have no idea about.
He was also everybody's favourite quintuple-crossing gunslinger, Revolver Ocelot, in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

I'm starting to think this game may have too many themes I'm not interested in for me to spend my valuable time on it.
I don't think it will be all that different to previous games. From the sounds of things, the game is set in a time when humankind is emerging as the dominant species. Every new experience will be uncharted territory, so there are some really interesting questions to be asked about how we collectively define ourselves. How do we explain what it means to be human when we ourselves don't know what that means? How will the course that we choose continue to define us years and even generations after that choice is made?

image.jpeg
Guess it went on sale early. Tempted.

I actually need to change the HDD first before I can play this, my last tweo game updates have prompted me to delete stuff first...

Waiting for the PS4 pre-order unlock in two hours. I liked Far Cry 2, same with Far Cry 3 - despite the obnoxious protagonist. I bought Far Cry 4 in a sale very recently and got bored with it within a handful of hours - I think primarily because I found the world design strangely bland compared to the previous two games, and that's a very important aspect of my enjoyment of an open world game (couldn't get into Shadow of Mordor for similar reasons, one of the dullest and most depressing looking game worlds I've seen in quite a while).

Taking my chances with Primal - the stone age setting is the main draw for me this time. Even if the gameplay mechanics are otherwise mostly a copy/paste from the last two games.

I think primarily because I found the world design strangely bland compared to the previous two games
The four regions of Kyrat are very distinct. The catch is that a good two-thirds or more of the game is spent in South Kyrat. But I found Kyrat to be more interesting than the Rook Islands, if only because there is variety in locations themselves.

Latest Posts

Back