Farewell Sony PSP 2004-2014

• Thread starter Robin
  • 35 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
After a decade on sale Sony has annouced today that its ceasing production of the PSP. Shipments to Japan will end in June and EU by the end of the year.

It sold over 76 million units but was always struggling to find itself and the DS pretty much dominated the market. It's problem was always a lack of unique must have games and although it had a few gems it had way to many cut down versions of PS2 games. Also the portable UMD movies side of things didn't really do great either.

When the PS3 came out it kinda faded into the background but Monster Hunter and jailbreaking gave it a final boost although the 'Go' model was a really silly decision.

I guess we will see how the Vita will do in the long run but it looks like history is going to repeat itself with it playing second fiddle to Nintendo's offerings.

The Sony Playstation Portable 2004-2014....

upload_2014-6-3_17-6-15.png

PSP_1000.jpg

PSP_2000.jpg

PSP_3000.jpg

psp-go-closed.jpg

PSP_E_1000.jpg

Good and bad memories.

For one, the GTA games on it were kinda ... meh, and GTPSP did sucked.

That said, Japanese games is where it was at, Monster Hunter, Metal Gear Solid Acid, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Some Persona games, Parasite Eve 3, and a bunch of novel-anime related game I quite enjoyed.

It wont be missed but it won't be forgotten either, all I know about electronics were thanks to it's browser, the first decent mobile internet browser I ever owned and used to repair electronic equipment, good times.

You will be missed :( i had the PSP Stormtrooper edition. And my sister ended up fying both memory cards.. How i dont know -.-

Sad to see the PSP end. I had an original one for about 5 years before it stopped working. I still have the PSP-3000 now and still occasionally play GTPSP. Such a shame there weren't more properly good games other than the GTA games, and the ToCA Race Driver 2 port.

It's time to say farewell to the PSP. Had a blast, I'm still keeping my EU version PSP Go with CFW. The only way we can get PSP games is to download them from the PSVita's PS Store or buy PSP games that are not in the PSVita's PS Store using a PS3, then hook it up with the Vita.
My first PSP was a black 1000 model and my first games were NFS Underground Rivals and WipEout Pure. It broke because its motherboard got wet, and severely 🤬 my PSP up. After a few months, I got a new one in white, in 2006. I kept it for almost six years until it was 🤬 up again because it accidentally dropped out of my pocket. I got my PSP Go two years before that happened.

Sold my PSP-3000 "Slim & Lite" 2 years ago & bought a PS VITA instead. Farewell my best portable gaming device!! :)

The first picture is that PSP prototype? I never seen that one before till now.

Yeah thats the prototype. I remember seeing it and thinking it was one of the coolest looking handheld gadgets ever. I still think it looks slightly better over the actual PSP but it probably would have been impractical with the all touch / recessed buttons.

PSP_Prototype.jpg

Last edited:
I still have mine. MP3 player, played and beat GTPSP for two years, I love the little guy.

Sits beside me right now.

Oooh so many memories! Got an import model through a gaming store (the release in the EU was a couple of months later). Loved the thing, after a year the PSP got really popular on my school and had enough people to play with. Made some friends because of it too :) Always got my ass kicked by a girl on TEKKEN :lol: After a few years I gave it away to a colleague his daughter for her birthday. She used is as multimedia device for a year and then it was suddenly kaputt. Rather had it back than them throwing it around, oh well, that's what you get with children I guess.

Got me a Vita some months ago and really really really regret it. I have it with me almost every day (just laying around in my rucksack) but never motivated to play with it, even when I'm bored.. Not sure if I'm going to give it away again though!

I bought mine a few summers ago. Rarely used, but the EA Replay disc with the 3 Mega Drive Road Rash games is why I have it.

Hey, if you have a PSP Go and you can't have a PSN account from there, it's best to mod it with CFW.

Never got a PSP, and looking back on it, I'm glad I never got one. The handheld system never really had any breakout titles except for some dumbed down semi-sequels and spinoffs of major first party titles. There's also little replay value in nearly all PSP games, with notable exceptions like the handheld GTA games.

The PSP couldn't recreate the uniqueness that the Nintendo DS had, and for me, it will not be missed.

I recently started playing my PSPGo again. I was really big into PSP's, I had a hacked PSP-1000, then decided to sell it off and get a PSPGo. I really liked the PSPGo, I wish it would have been available when I bought it the first time.

I too bought the PSP originally just to place Gran Turismo. Years later, when it finally came out it was a huge disappointment. I actually just bought Katamari Demacy for it again. I had it on UMD with my PSP-1000 originally.

Still remember when I got the GTPSP bundle for $200 at GameStop. I hop on GT once a while just to burn some time. The PSP was a decent system for me.

I didn’t want to create a new thread for this. If you have a PSP and haven’t used it in a while, check your battery.

They’re coming to the end of their life and are starting to swell. It’s all over Twitter and trending in Japan.

I’ve just checked mine and it was very swollen, so much so it had popped the back off the PSP. It’s also being picked up now by Gaming News sites.

VXR
Blimey, will make sure to check mine as it's in the loft above me.

mine is now outside away from the house. Not sure if it will explode and set fire etc. Sony have already commented and said that this is what happens so part and parcel of having batteries. I guess we’ll all have to check our PS3 pad batteries soon too.

Wow. I recently experienced my previous smartphone having a swollen battery, and so I know just how concerning it can be for such batteries to potentially pop. PLEASE be careful if you are faced with this battery situation for any such device- let alone the PSP.

Why not just take the battery out

Doenst matter if the battery is in or out. Lithium Ion Battery’s will pop if not used. Some people’s are fine because they still charge and use theirs. Mine and a lot of other peoples haven’t been used in a long while so are starting to swell.

when I checked mine last night, it had come out all of its own accord.

78DF19EF-6F27-4224-9FF6-DD8714D3ED8E.jpeg

I didn’t want to create a new thread for this. If you have a PSP and haven’t used it in a while, check your battery.

They’re coming to the end of their life and are starting to swell. It’s all over Twitter and trending in Japan.

I’ve just checked mine and it was very swollen, so much so it had popped the back off the PSP. It’s also being picked up now by Gaming News sites.

Thanks for the heads up to everyone here 👍 Serious stuff, especially as most PSP's will be likely packed away and could start house fires if the batteries went pop.

I guess we’ll all have to check our PS3 pad batteries soon too.

Good point, I have an original non DS3 SIXAXIS :ill:

Back