Favourite game from this generation?

• Thread starter TypeRDC5
  • 63 comments
United Kingdom
Silverstone
With this console generation coming to an end I thought it would be fun to see everyone's favourite game since the PS4 and Xbox One were released.

It's actually an answer I can't answer myself, can't choose between God of War and Resident Evil 2 for my favourite. Was an easy choice for me with the previous generation with The Last of Us winning by a country mile, I do think this gen was amazing for single player games and makes picking a favourite very hard.

Other great games this gen:
Cities Skylines
Battlefield 1
The Last of Us 2
Uncharted 4

What are you favourite games from this gen?

Bloodborne. Hands down. I am excited for the next generation, but leaving this game behind already makes me really sad.

There is something about it that makes me coming back every time. It is a true classic.

Forza Horizon 4 has been the main game that has brought me consistent enjoyment this generation. Spyro Reignited Trilogy has also been a favorite of mine allowing me to relive nostalgic memories of my favorite games of all time.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2...or perhaps whatever comes next from Monolith Soft, because it will probably be on the Switch.

Rain World also deserves a mention. A work of art.

Still waiting on an outstanding racing game/sim I can really sink myself into. With any luck, Project CARS 3 could snare my interest like everything else didn't.

Hmm hard to say, but a few of the games i enjoyed a lot is...

Sniper Elite 4.

Metal gear solid 5.

Rise of the Tomb raider.

Disgaea 5.

Sebastien loeb rally.

Borderlands 2.

The Witcher 3.

Also its very new, and many people dislike it a lot, but really Assetto corsa competione is by far the best racing game on this gen IMO.

I proberly forget some, but these are some of those i enjoyed most :-)

I'd say my highlights of this generation have been the Forza Horizon franchise and Life is Strange series.

Honorable mentions:

The Crew 2: Quite lacking at launch but has become much better with age.

Need For Speed Heat: Exact opposite situation with TC2 - Fantastic at launch but unfortunately post-launch support was killed off too soon.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy: Wonderful trip down memory lane!

Wreckfest: Unexpected gem of a game.

Last gen was easy for me - to me, Uncharted 2 was genre defining and generation defining for me.

This current gen is much tougher. Partly because I've been gaming much less, meaning the best game of the gen is probably still sitting on the shelf waiting to be played...

Of what I've played though, despite their flaws/faults, I would say

GT Sport
The Crew (first game)

Nothing scratches my OCD car collecting itch like GT still does. Plus the monthly additions of cars and tracks kept me interested and active in the game long term.

With The Crew, it's a partly personal story, opening up that greyed out world map and exploring all the nooks and secrets was hugely exciting, especially as it was released just after my trip along US66 (perfect timing), Meteor Crater, Monument Valley et al and the car list was surprisingly substantial and varied.

Of the games listed by others above, most of those I would rate highly where I've played them, and where I haven't they're mostly sitting on my shelf waiting to be played :lol:

I had a lot of fun with Forza Horizon 3 & 4 and also Yakuza 0, but I have trouble recalling other games that really jumped out at me. Maybe the Return of the Obra Dinn.

Man this is hard. One game is impossible....
Racing games: Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are both just gorgeous and fun. I bought the XBox just for this series.
Action/Adventure: GTA V and RDR2.
RPG: The Witcher 3 and will definitely enjoy, can't wait, so hyped for Cyberpunk 2077.
Man I'm average, predictable and boring.

There are plenty of good games released in this Generation but a lot of them aren't my type to be honest. I tried to get into various titles and i enjoyed few of them but i couldn't do it overall.

I sunk few hours into TLOU1 Remastered (Last gen game i know) but i couldn't finish the story and wasn't that interested in the sequel. I went further in Fallout 4 but then i got bored by "Act 3". I barely could continue playing Nier Automata although the soundtrack is great and while I finished Resident Evil 7 & Outlast 2 with my college friends, it's clear that i'm not into horror games and post apocalyptic.
I haven't even bothered with God Of War, The Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Spiderman, Dark Souls, FF7 Remake and RDR 2 yet due to me being too lazy and uninterested. MGS5 was hard for me to get into because i haven't played through every single Metal Gear title and didn't understand the complex story. Also forget about Battle Royal games, that's off the list.

The fact that my favorite games of this generation consists of last gen games, remakes of 90's platformers, a city building game and some racing titles says a lot about the kind of person i am.

• GTA V (even tho R* is dropping the ball lately and i prefer older GTA games)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (Remake of my childhood game)
  • Forza Horizon 2 (My Favorite Forza IMO and it's what made me buy an Xbox)
  • Gran Turismo Sport (Not my favorite GT title but i enjoyed it)
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • Cities Skylines
I'm pretty boring, ain't i? lol.

I'm thinking about trying out Yakuza games and maybe come back to the games i haven't finished or touched yet.

I'm surprised by the lack of Assetto Corsa/Competizione and Project CARS 2. For me these are the most authentic feeling racing games of any console generation.

I guess the lack of more "gamey" elements means people have less fun?

RDR 2 would be mine. Not sure it quite managed to top the first game in terms of atmosphere and the controls weren't great but such an amazing well told story and characters.

Honorable mentions. Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima and Wreckfest.

I'm surprised by the lack of Assetto Corsa/Competizione and Project CARS 2. For me these are the most authentic feeling racing games of any console generation.

I have both and think their great but there is a lack of polish which stops them from going on my list.
Physics are no doubt the best in console racing but as an overall package they fall short of a spot on my list.

Its a tough one, its been a long generation with very few stand out exclsuives but lots of excellent 3rd party games. For me it's these:

Assassins Creed Odyssey
Dirt Rally 2.0
Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo
Uncharted 4
Everybody's gone to the rapture
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 3

And a recent addition, F1 2020.

Its not so much a lack of gamey elements as much as lack of refinement and class. Both a decent sims but neither are games that can be considered as great in this generation.

I guess Halo: The Master Chief Collection technically counts as this generation, right? Reach was the most memorable singleplayer campaign that I've played, and CE and 2 were a blast in co-op (haven't played 3 yet). Otherwise, probably Forza Horizon 4. Assetto Corsa gets an honourable mention, but it's not a very good game to be honest (even though I love it).

I haven't actually played many games from this gen though, because I have a backlog from the previous generation, due to me getting a PS3 at the end of the lifecycle.

W R E C K F E S T!

t2802.gif

@TypeRDC5, @MagpieRacer It seems like you both have similar thoughts regarding AC, ACC and PC2 by saying they lack polish, refinement or class.

I think I understand what you mean. The UI isn't so pretty and the out of the box pad control isn't ideal, but the actual driving experience is so much more immersive that it doesn't matter to me.

I think the actual in game graphics in these games is more realistic. The super polished GT/Forza look looks more fake to me.

I play on a PS4 Pro with a G29, which may also change my experience.

Resident Evil 7 in VR was an amazing experience. Definitely a defining next gen moment for me.

Bloodborne, Ace Combat 7 (finally a new mainline AC game!) and Gravity Rush 2 deserve mention as well.

My list for this gen:
- WRC 8:
As good as DR 2.0, it can't seem to hold my attention for long but for some reason I just can't stop playing WRC 8. It feels good, route design is great and the career mode is really fun.

- pCARS 1&2:
Partly due to the WMD funding SMS had back then, it is fun to have a look at a chunk of game development and having my own livery launched in game. The games are great fun and I still love the variety it has.

- Wreckfest:
Great physics, amazing track designs and fun AI to mess around.

Some last gen games that I played it for the first time this gen thanks to Xbox BC:
- Burnout Revenge:
I never own a console before Xbox One, so the only Burnout game I played is Burnout Paradise. Revenge just plays better for me, the track design is great, it feels a lot more chaotic and better replayability.

- Midnight Club LA:
The atmosphere of the game is fantastic and racing with tons of traffic on the road it is a chaotic fun. Car customisation in it is still fantastic.

- Gears of War Trilogy:
I love the campaign.

I'll keep my list to non-driving games;

Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3:

These games continued From Software's hellbent obsession with changing the landscape for how a triple A title should play. Tough and unforgiving, these games rely on awesomely designed mechanics and a mysterious, enthralling atmosphere to keep you playing and did away with the "press o to crouch under the burning beam!" Handholding that major studios seem to lean on. Gamers responded with huge praise to how this game treated us like we could work things out for ourselves. We will be feeling the ripple effect of these games for years.

Monster Hunter: World:

Last generation it looked like Capcom had forgotten how to make games. The Resident Evil series was sliding into a disjointed mess, Street Fighter alienated fans with its frankly offensive lack of content, and the studio as a whole was gaining a reputation as purveyors of "Disc Locked Content".

What a turnaround MHW represented. This game positively drips with designer passion. Visually glorious with a unified, ground up design that permeates every aspect, from crafting gear through cats cooking up delicacies to the majesty of the hunts themselves. There have never been "boss fights" like these - so expertly choreographed and balanced, nearly every monster has its unique personality, level of aggression, weaknesses and traits. With Capcom going on to revitalise the Resident Evil franchise, I really feel this game was a massive moment in the last generation and a return to form for one of gaming's greatest studios.

Doom (2016)/Doom Eternal:

What an ear-pricking moment this was. For myself and, I'm sure, many other gamers, perhaps no word evokes such a potent nostalgia; DOOM! The classic of all classics, the game that changed it all. This wouldn't be the first attempt at a revitalisation; DOOM III in the previous generation sought to re-establish the infamous horror shooter, but perhaps leaned too hard on the horror button.

Ill never forget my surprise and excitement as ID/Bethesda continued to reiterate; this will not be a modern shooter with demons, it will be a DOOM game - no reloading, no iron sights, no cover to cover, just classic high octane move and shoot action.

And if the hype wasn't enough to make the list, then we actually got to play it; a tight and interesting single player campaign consisting off egregious violence against the armies of the damned set to Mick Gordon's pounding metal soundtrack. It's an experience I think we will all remember fondly from this generation. Some didn't like Eternal so much, but I loved it, and it remains as really the only FPS game that's been bold enough to be different in this last decade.

Rocket League:

A surprise entry into the party game scene, Rocket League turned a lot of heads when it went up in the PS plus monthly free games.

Now you can call this game toxic or whatever and, sure, you might be right about that. But this game is mechanically tight beyond fault, and if you have a few buddies on the sofa, you're going to struggle to find a game more fun to just jump into.

This game exploded from a novelty into a serious presence in the eSports world and in today's age that's worthy of notice.

Warframe:

A last gasp bid to exist from Canadian studio Digital Extremes, Warframe launched on PC and ported to console around the release of the new generations.

When I picked it up in 2014 this was a shadow of a game, a tech demo more than anything. DE, on the brink of collapse, poured all their assets into making a functional game of the concept they believed in - a third person, super fast paced shooter/ninja kind of thing. In space.

Even in those early days the strength of the concept was clear - fast, parkour movement would save your life, not cover and armour, and an extensive mix of guns, melee and Warframe powers made the choice between methods of dismemberment personal, and expressive, and the game augments this with tons of customisation - colour pallettes, armour sets, capes, animations, and so on and on.

Over time, the game filled out, and in the 5/6 years I've played it (popping in and out of months-long hiatuses) the progress has made it unrecognisable. What was a scrambled selection of mission modes has evolved into a full story and progression system, with a ton of game modes, free roam areas, special activities and events.

A strange blend of looter-shooter, RPG, and Ninja Gaiden, Warframe should be praised for creating a blueprint for free online games on PSN. There really is a gold standard to be followed now. If Warframe had not succeeded, DE would not exist. As it stands, it is one of the most concurrently played games in the world, and deserves recognition for changing the landscape.

EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5:

If you know, you know.

Game of the century.

Back