FC - Old Timer Event - 250 GTO - May 9th, 2009 (Event Completed- Results Posted)

• Thread starter jjaisli
  • 42 comments

jjaisli

Software Driver
Premium
United States
The Ramapo Mountains
jjaisli
Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli - Old Timer Race Challenge - Round II

For round two we move on to a very rare and sought after car, the 1962, 250 GTO (Grand Turismo Omologato). From it's debut at the 1962, 12 hours of Sebring, it went on to win the world manufacturer's championship 3 times, in 1962, 1963 & 1964. It was one of the last front engine cars to remain at the pinnacle of sports car racing before more modern mid engine designs became the norm.

800px-1962_Ferrari_250_GTO_34_2.jpg

After some discussion, it's been decided to start this event on Saturday, May 9th: 13:30 GMT

(This time has been pushed back by 30 minutes so it does not interfere with F1 qualifying on TV!)

13:30 GMT =
9:30 am EST
10:30 am Brazil
2:30 pm UK & Portugal
3:30 pm in Continental Europe
11:00 pm in Adelaide Australia

The last time we had a very open format without going to the restrictive step of setting up a private lobby. There were a few people who joined who may have been a bit disruptive, but over-all, I think it's still workable. So unless there is considerable oposition, I would prefer to do it the same way and once again, set up an open lobby on a first come, first serve basis. I would however, appreciate a quick post if you have an interest in joining. If there are at least 8 people, I will once again ask for a volunteer to open a second lobby.

My lobby will be opened under my PSN ID: jjaisli

These classic events are run independently and points will not carry over from one event to the next. But I want to stress, the idea behind these 'historic races' is about having fun and the points are almost a bit of an after thought. None-the-less, every game requires a way to keep score and scoring is based on finishing order:

1st - 10 points
2nd - 8 points
3rd - 6 points
4th - 5 points
5th - 4 points
6th - 3 points
7th - 2 points
8th - 1 point
+ 1 point awarded for fastest lap

The race will take place as follows:

1) Monza - 5 minutes - Warm up (no points)

800px-Monza_track_map.svg.png

2. Homestead - 10 minutes - DRY (In Celebration of Sebring Victory)
hms_rental_modified_lg.gif

3. Infineon - 10 minutes - Dry

800px-Infineon_%28Sears_Point%29_with_emphasis_on_Long_track.svg.png

4. Spa - 20 minutes - Wet (double points)
Circuit_Spa_2007.png

5. Vallelunga - 10 Minutes - Dry

800px-Autodromo_Vallelunga_2005.jpg

6. Mont-Tremblant (Finale) - 30 minutes - Dry (triple points)

420px-Circuit_Mont-Tremblant_Track_Map.svg.png

Hope to see you there and good luck.

ferrari_challenge_250gto-30-tb.jpg

Last edited:
Count me in.
This promises some real fun.:)
As for the times, i´d prefer 22:00 GMT.

...if it's Saturday 13:00 GMT I can take part!...

...As for the times, i´d prefer 22:00 GMT...

:ouch: ARGH. Well, that didn't take long. :lol: Let's see who else we have interested and then I guess we'll go with the majority.

Count me in, if you can make it 22:00 GMT (at 13:00 GMT I'll be at the church probably, I have the "first communion" of a niece, followed by a family gathering to celebrate it, so a late lunch and probably will only leave mid to late afternoon).

To tell you the truth, I would even prefer this to start at 23:00 GMT, but I'm ok with 22 (if I skip the first races I guess it's no problem to join later) 👍

I'm sorry you won't be able to take part, hm.

I just wanted to add, it was not originally my intention to have another event so soon after the last one, but I'm going to be working all weekend on May 16-17 so I pushed it forward. And either way I would prefer not to do the events the same weekends as Energiya's World Championship as it's a lot to ask people on consecutive days.

But in general, I feel as the weather gets warmer (at least in the Northern hemisphere) people will be less apt to run these long 90 min ~ 2 hour events when they could be outside. So I'm trying to sneak them in before summer.

Hopefully we'll see you at round 3.

Moving on Friday, so won't be making it on Saturday. Also, getting disc-read errors sporadically on my PS3. :nervous: Going to have to deal with that before I can race online in an extended series. :indiff:

I would like to enter but i'm not familiar with GMT times. I'm sure saturday may 9th would be the next day ( Sunday My time ) But what time exactly i dont know. if it's between 4am to 7am my time, I'm there. if it's after 8am, then no.

So just let me know JJAISLI

Last edited:
Jason, I still don't know exactly where in Australia you are, so you might want to try one of the links I sent you last week by PM (if you still have it) for converting the time. But for a rough estimate, based on Melbourne:

13:00 GMT = 11:00 pm Saturday night
22:00 GMT = 8:00 am Sunday morning

And keep in mind the event will probably take about 2 ~ 2.5 hours.

It's always a bit confusing converting time zones between Northern and Southern hemisphere because of daylight savings time. GMT/UTC should NOT take daylight savings into account. Normally in Eastern Standard Time (New York City are) we are GMT-5. But now that daylight savings is in effect we're GMT-4. So your best bet would be to check this site:http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/current-time.htm and find out how many hours ahead of GMT you are.

Jason, I still don't know exactly where in Australia you are, so you might want to try one of the links I sent you last week by PM (if you still have it) for converting the time. But for a rough estimate, based on Melbourne:

13:00 GMT = 11:00 pm Saturday night
22:00 GMT = 8:00 am Sunday morning

And keep in mind the event will probably take about 2 ~ 2.5 hours.

It's always a bit confusing converting time zones between Northern and Southern hemisphere because of daylight savings time. GMT/UTC should NOT take daylight savings into account. Normally in Eastern Standard Time (New York City are) we are GMT-5. But now that daylight savings is in effect we're GMT-4. So your best bet would be to check this site:http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/current-time.htm and find out how many hours ahead of GMT you are.

With that link, the time with GMT 0:00 = 2:05pm wed 6th

Jason--that link shows you the CURRENT GMT time. So when you clicked on the link it was Wed 2:05 pm at GMT. Just look at your own clock and figure out how many hours ahead of GMT you are.

You guys are funny ... Let me do a "Einsteinment" here and teach you time conversion.

Saturday 9th 13:00 GMT is -----------> Saturday 9th 22:30 in Adelaide

Saturday 9th 22:00 GMT is -----------> Sunday 10th 7:30 in Adelaide

thank you, thank you, I'm awesome I know ... :D

hi guys
as a helping hand i made a time table of both times.
hopes this help.
If anybody wants to be on the list,let me know.

Attachments

• 09-05-09 1300.GIF
    09-05-09 1300.GIF
    51.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 09-05-09 2200.GIF
    09-05-09 2200.GIF
    49.8 KB · Views: 19
I prefer 13.00 GMT. 22.00 GMT is too late for me.

I may miss Warm Up race (13.00 GMT) because I'll watch F1 Spain GP qualifying.

I prefer 13.00 GMT. 22.00 GMT is too late for me.

I may miss Warm Up race (13.00 GMT) because I'll watch F1 Spain GP qualifying.

🤬!! I forgot about F1 qualifying myself. :ill:

I'm still waiting for several people from other forums and on my PSN friend list to get back to me but the way things look now, most people definitely favor the 13:00 GMT time slot. But I may just delay it by an hour. I'm sure we're not the only two F1 fans in this group and it won't be much of an issue.

I'm still waiting for a few (non-GTPlanet) friends to get back to me. But of those, I've had one for time A and one for time B. And it looks like at this point time A is overwhelmingly favored.

I will however change the start time slightly to GMT 13:30 so that it doesn't interfere with F1 qualifying on TV. (Hopefully at which time, you guys aren't all in the mood to play F1:CE instead of Ferrari Challenge).

I'll make an update to the main page and title to reflect the time change.

You have no problems with me. I dont have F1:CE. i cant find it to play it.
:banghead::banghead:

EDIT - 2 headbangs for my split personality. lol

Just wanted to give this thread a little bump and remind everybody that the event will start tomorrow (Saturday, May 9th) at 13:30 GMT!!! Immediately following F1 qualifying.

I did a few practice runs this week to refamiliarize myself with the GTO. For those who haven't driven this car in a while, I can only say, don't leave your braking too late! ;) After practicing on Wednesday night, I held top spot in the leaderboard for 4 of the 5 tracks. After practicing again last night with Hun200kmh & Zedux, one of them is already surpassed and another completely smashed by ~ 2 seconds. (Well done Zedux) :nervous: And I suspect every lap record at every track (with the exception of Spa as it's a wet race) will be broken on Saturday afternoon. :) Although, probably not by me. :grumpy:;)

Unfortunately at least 5 people who I hoped would be attending this event either can't make it during the selected time or can't make it Saturday, period. So I doubt we'll have more than 6-7 people in the lobby. But it's always my hope that closet lurkers of this forum will decide to join in.

So I would like to ask again for a volunteer
to host an 'alternative lobby' in case the room swells to 8 people with others knocking on the door. Please send me a PM if you're able and interested.

The "smashed" one was Infineon, I think. Zedux really was flying in that track.

I'm one of those that won't be able to make it tomorrow. Wish you guys good, fun races.

Our litle "preview" of the event last night was great, we had very close racing and it's always a pleasure when you know you can trust the guy whose car is inches from your own. Thanks Jeff and Felipe! :)

those were really great races my biggest difficult with the "relics" has a word i.e. patience! I know that these cars limit really means - limit - and if you over push it you loose lots of time but I can't help trying to race these cars like if they were all FXXs lol! Guess they were all FXXs in their own days :)

we indeed had great races 👍 last night!

can't wait for the movie!!! and yes that's the Honda!
d09esp201.jpg

Last edited:
Back